Zach Thomas Losing a Step? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zach Thomas Losing a Step?

PhinKev

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
PBPost:

"It seems like the Dolphins might have an eye on taking some of the load off Zach Thomas. Crowder and Porter were the nickel linebackers."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/...lphins/entries/2007/04/saturday_mornin_2.html

Bedard suggests its about taking some of the burden off, I think it is really about declining coverage skills and speed. One of the things that I've noticed the last couple of seasons is that ZT is vulnerable in coverage. I was trying to remember if it was a problem early in his career, but I don't remember it being so. Zach was never the fastest guy, just a smart one who used his angles well. But, I'm guessing the speed is getting to be a problem.

I think its the right move to use the speedier players at this point.

PBPost:

"It seems like the Dolphins might have an eye on taking some of the load off Zach Thomas. Crowder and Porter were the nickel linebackers."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/...lphins/entries/2007/04/saturday_mornin_2.html

Bedard suggests its about taking some of the burden off, I think it is really about ddeclining coverage skills and speed. One of the things that I've noticed the last couple of seasons is that ZT is vulnerable in coverage. I was trying to remember if it was a problem early in his career, but I don't remember it being so. Zach was never the fastest guy, just a smart one who used his angles well. But, I'm guessing the speed is getting to be a problem.

I think its more to keep him healthy throughout the season, the guy gives up his body like no player I have ever seen.

I think its more to keep him healthy throughout the season, the guy gives up his body like no player I have ever seen.

It's possible that is is nothing more than saving him, but I can't be the only one remembering him 5 yards behind some TE he is chasing down the field. I am a ZT fan as much as anyone (I have the jersey) but Crowder is just plain faster and better suited for the nickel role I think.

I don't think it is neccesarilly losing a step but Porter and Crowder are just younger fast LBs who are more suited to coverage. Zach has never been spectacular at coverage and people blame it on his age nowadays when he gets burnt for a first down or something. I remember people complained that Zach was getting old when we opened against the Steelers last year and he couldn't catch up to Heath Miller on a long scoring TD. I was thinking- you know Zach has never been the fastest guy but who are you going to take in a pure footrace like that? A second year old sub 24 year old TE or Zach?

He had a career year last year. You don't have to listen to everything ESPN says.

PBPost:

Bedard suggests its about taking some of the burden off, I think it is really about ddeclining coverage skills and speed. One of the things that I've noticed the last couple of seasons is that ZT is vulnerable in coverage. I was trying to remember if it was a problem early in his career, but I don't remember it being so. Zach was never the fastest guy, just a smart one who used his angles well. But, I'm guessing the speed is getting to be a problem.

Zach has always been a reliability in coverage, this is nothing new. Obviously, it's not getting any better as he gets older..In Wanny's/JJ/Bates D, the MLB is the focal point of the D. Zach filled that need perfectly. In Capers D, the focal point is on the DL. We've already made that shift to both pressure the passer and control the run using the DL as that focal point. It's a very true statement, to me, that with the addition of Porter, some of the emphasis and run support will shift to the other LBers. That only makes sense since Porter is more capable than anyone we've had there in 12 yrs and Crowder is really coming into his own as a LB. What this can do, in obvious passing situations is put our best players on the field together...This is not a knock on Zach, but a means to which we can prolong his career a year or so and still get high levels of production from him, even tho he's aging...

What-evah...
Zack Thomas has been reported to have been "losing a step" for the last 5 years, yet every year he is a top 5 player at his position. I guess after eing dominant for so long people just expect you to start fading. And who knows, maybe the is the year he doesn't perform up to the standards he himself has set throughout his career, but I'll wait to see that with my own eyes.

He had a career year last year. You don't have to listen to everything ESPN says.

it was the palm beach post. you dont have to blame espn for all poorly worded articles.

otherwise i agree with you.

Zach is our stella tackler on the LB corps. Porter and Crowder are faster and can cover so it makes sense to give Zach more of a rest and use him where it matters.

150 tackle/year LB who's been losing a step for years. I'll take him first on defense any day of the week

PBPost:

Bedard suggests its about taking some of the burden off, I think it is really about declining coverage skills and speed. One of the things that I've noticed the last couple of seasons is that ZT is vulnerable in coverage. I was trying to remember if it was a problem early in his career, but I don't remember it being so. Zach was never the fastest guy, just a smart one who used his angles well. But, I'm guessing the speed is getting to be a problem.

Don't show this to the guys who think Zach is friggin' superman and that he's the only human on this planet which age doesn't affect.

It's not a surprise, Zach's forte has never really been pass coverage. Quality tight ends usually eat him up. This is a move to both keep him fresh and to bolster a weaker area of our pass defense.

Hopefully it won't matter so much if we develop a strong running game and controlling the clock. I hope this year we utilize the 1pm kickoff time with some hot sunny days in Miami....wearing down other teams defenses.

Admitting that Zach is getting older and may not be the best option in coverage isn't the same thing as saying that he's not good anymore. He can be a step slow in coverage and still be the All-Pro that he is.

he led the league last year in takles by 10. so i dont think is is losing a step. every year keeps getting better

Back
Top Bottom