Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 1 | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Preseason Game 1

I didn't give my own grade, I wouldn't say its great. I mean 2019, you're attributing Michael Dieter as a solid starter when the guy hasn't even started a season in the league? Christian Wilkins isn't a Dion Jordan bust, but he's for the most part a non-factor we drafted highly. Van Ginkel is good. 2020, I mean except for Raekwon Davis the jury is out on all these guys. And its laughable to judge 2021 when three of those guys didn't even play in the preseason yet.

You seem to be celebrating possibly marginal or "solid" players as wins, but when you traded an all pro safety and franchise left tackle, if you don't end up with star players in return its a fail.

People want to liken Grier's moves with the Cowboys trading Herschel Walker when they were rebuilding. Well, that move is lauded because with those picks the Cowboys drafted Emmitt Smith, a guy who is in the conversation for greatest RB ever, Darren Woodson, a 4-time All Pro, Kevin Smith, a one time all pro DB, and Russell Maryland, a one time all pro DT. Who are the all pros and franchise players we've gotten as a result of trading two potential franchise building blocks?
Right now Dieter is our starting center, we’ll see where it ends up, but he seems to have held up pretty well against the Bears who have one of the best front’s in the NFL, and I said “looks like he’s developed into a starting center”. Wilkins is nowhere near Dion Jordan. We could’ve drafted TJ Watt who is who I would’ve drafted, but Wilkins is a solid rotational player who plays tons of meaningful snaps so he’s a solid player.

Tua is our starting QB and he looks like he has take a massive leap from last year, and I don’t think the verdict is out on Robert Hunt, him and Davis are the two players from that draft who seem to be universally lauded as beasts around the league and those analysts who cover the league etc. But it is too early to judge 2020 and 2021 draft class which goes both ways in that Austin Davis, Solomon Kindley, and IGGY all need more time before we can jump to any conclusions. I was more talking about the OP giving an F to the FO which I thought was a bit harsh that’s all I was saying. We have more depth and competition at all positions than I remember in 20 years.

Last edited:
I have been miserable since 2000. I was told we got a good QB a few times in the last 21 years. Now I don't buy into anything until i see someone with QB rating in top 10. Anything else is only hot air and homer speaking.
So because Tua wasn’t top 10 after playing only nine games last year, you are convinced he isn’t the long term answer?
You obviously would have hated Peyton Manning, John Elway, Drew Brees, Arron Rogers, and many other HOF QB’s after their rookie seasons. Because none of them were anywhere close to being top 10 QB’s and in the case of Rogers, he didn’t even become the full time starter until after sitting on the bench for three years.

Personally I am extremely happy Tua is the Dolphins QB and I believe he will end up being the second best QB in Dolphin history by the time he retires. Behind only Marino but ahead of another HOF QB,
Bob Griese.

I'm pretty sure we can blame Denver for not getting our RB this year. I really think we would have picked that dude had they not traded one pick before us and snatch him...
We've had enough chances to draft guys, its not the result of one pick not going our way.

To be perfectly honest, every single draft we've had under Flores/Grier has featured countless players drafted the pick right before us that would have made perfect sense for the Dolphins to draft, and who ended up looking pretty good. Cesar Ruiz and JK Dobbins come to mind. And while teams seem to be getting just in front of us for players that ended up good, we regularly draft players higher than their projected position. Yeah, maybe the guys drafted one pick ahead of us weren't the ones we were gonna pick anyway, but we probably should have, considering they ended up being good players at positions that we needing to fill, and actually still haven't filled (Williams is excluded since we don't know his path).

With the wealth of draft picks we've had, it's pretty inexcusable that after three years, at every opportunity to improve a position, you've been outmaneuvered, and as a result the QB you're trying to develop is having to do so with so with a middling goalline back and a third down back as his committee, giving the defense no reason to respect the box very much.

3 points, 0 TD, 1 INT....i just made it up.
Either you didn’t watch the game or you missed the fact that the reason they didn’t score a TD on their second possession was because the OL was allowing the RB to get hit as soon as Tua handed the RB the ball inside the Bears 7 yard line 3 times.
Of course as I noted earlier, you place all the blame for the poor play by the OL and the RB’s on Tua because obviously he is responsible for selecting those players and not Grier and Flores.

Wilkins is a solid rotational player who plays tons of meaningful snaps so he’s a solid player.
That, in and of itself is an issue. Wilkins isn't trash, but as you said yourself, he's a rotational, solid player, which just isn't good enough from the 13th pick in the draft. We're three years in and the biggest play Wilkins has made was injuring our own starting wide receiver.

Brother Dan if you just gonna crap on Tua every thread for a pick in a meaningless practice game you will not be in this discussion much longer
I disagree whole heatedly. It carries meaning, its not on the win lost column, but we want to see improvement.
I can promise you, i will not silent next week if he shows improvement, and I will give proper praise. I am tough but i am fair.

That, in and of itself is an issue. Wilkins isn't trash, but as you said yourself, he's a rotational, solid player, which just isn't good enough from the 13th pick in the draft. We're three years in and the biggest play Wilkins has made was inuring our own starting wide receiver.
He’s a solid player. But I wish we would’ve drafted TJ watt over him in a heartbeat. That was frustrating and predictable to me the result when I saw that.

We've had enough chances to draft guys, its not the result of one pick not going our way.

To be perfectly honest, every single draft we've had under Flores/Grier has featured countless players drafted the pick right before us that would have made perfect sense for the Dolphins to draft, and who ended up looking pretty good. Cesar Ruiz and JK Dobbins come to mind. And while teams seem to be getting just in front of us for players that ended up good, we regularly draft players higher than their projected position. Yeah, maybe the guys drafted one pick ahead of us weren't the ones we were gonna pick anyway, but we probably should have, considering they ended up being good players at positions that we needing to fill, and actually still haven't filled (Williams is excluded since we don't know his path).

With the wealth of draft picks we've had, it's pretty inexcusable that after three years, at every opportunity to improve a position, you've been outmaneuvered, and as a result the QB you're trying to develop is having to do so with so with a middling goalline back and a third down back as his committee, giving the defense no reason to respect the box very much.
Hard to disagree with that

I have been miserable since 2000. I was told we got a good QB a few times in the last 21 years. Now I don't buy into anything until i see someone with QB rating in top 10. Anything else is only hot air and homer speaking.
Great. Don't buy into into it until u see top 10 play in the regular season if that's ur stance. I'm still not full board on the Tua train till he shows he's legit in the regular season either.

But we are currently grading a preseason game and ur saying B- is overrating his performance. I think that QB grade was appropriate. B- isn't that good unless we had very different expectations of our grades back in school.

He had two very good drives and one bad pass that he threw late. All behind a line that struggled heavily.

You're not waiting to see if he can be a guy that can be a top 10 QBR guy. You've already decided he can't, and seem to take any chance u get to say something negative about him in the meantime.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Either you didn’t watch the game or you missed the fact that the reason they didn’t score a TD on their second possession was because the OL was allowing the RB to get hit as soon as Tua handed the RB the ball inside the Bears 7 yard line 3 times.
Of course as I noted earlier, you place all the blame for the poor play by the OL and the RB’s on Tua because obviously he is responsible for selecting those players and not Grier and Flores.
Fair point on that procession. I just wish Tua has the ball or feel comfortable to audible into a pass play.

Back
Top Bottom