Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 11 Edition | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 11 Edition

DZimmer000

BJJ Black Belt
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Well…..A huge win….On the road…..Against a division opponent….. And yet it’s hard to celebrate it in any way. The season ending injury to Phillips took all the joy out of it for me. Add in the usual injury to Armstead, suffered while getting a drink from a water fountain on the way out of the locker room after half time, and you have a rough game from an injury standpoint. The good news is we aren’t doomed in any sense of the word. We’ve shown that Armstead is definitely replaceable and we can scheme a pass rush that will make up for the loss of Phillips. Anyway….On to the grades:

QB — C : Yes, the Jest have a good/great defense. However, Tua did not have a great day. The pick 6 was an AWFUL throw that against a better team could have been crushing. The 2nd pick was just great coverage, but that ball shouldn’t have been thrown. Both picks were Tua’s fault. This has been a trend lately and, at least in my eyes, is starting to get concerning. 21 of 30 for 243 and a 77.5 rating is not a great day by any means. I’ll say it again….We need more from Tua. Let’s hope we get it for the rest of the season.

RB’s — B : Mostert with 94 yards on 20 rushes is actually a good day against a team with a great DL like the Jest. Add 56 yards from Wilson and another 16 from Evan’s and that’s a damn good day in my book. Just like when the RB’s don’t run well, we have to credit the OL here. Opening holes against that DL is no easy task.

WR’s — B + : Why no A here? Because only Waddle and Hill made any catches. The good news is both Waddle and Hill hit for over 100 and were both very good. The bad news is that no other receivers did anything. I’m hoping that Claypool gets healthy for us soon….He brings a skillset none of our other receivers has and hopefully we can utilize it.

TE’s — B - : Smythe had 1 catch for 10 yards but it was his run blocking that earned the B - here. His blocking was sneaky good most of the day.

OL — A : Against a front 7 like the Jest have, I wasn’t expecting a performance like that. Impressive….Most Impressive. I now have to do something here that is a little overdue and something I never thought I’d do….Give credit to Austin Jackson and Liam Eichenberg in the same thread. They were good again this week. While I still think we need OL help this offseason, these guys have made it not quite so critical and have actually performed well this season. There can be an argument made that we have to re-sign Jackson….The scary part is I might argue for it.

DL — A : 29 Yards rushing allowed. 4.5 sacks. Pressure all day. Dominant. Period. Yes, they were playing against the worst OL in the league. Regardless, they did their jobs. Nice game from this group.

LB’s — A : The Phillips injury is so disappointing. They should condemn MetLife stadium tomorrow. Anyway, Phillips had 1 sack and Ogbah 1.5. Baker was active all day and Long and Van Gink played well. A good day for this group.

DB’s — A + : What can you say about Holland’s “Hell Mary” Pick 6? A great moment in Miami Dolphins history and it earned the A by itself. Good games from Ramsey, X and Kohou as well. Nothing less than an A + here.

ST’s — B + : Bailey had 1 punt for 40 yards. Sanders made his 2 kicks. Berrios had a decent kick return and 5 punt returns. Good day by these guys.

Coaching — B + : Against a good Jets team, I thought the play calling could have been a little more creative….But that’s probably nitpicking. A great game called by Fangio. You can’t complaint too much when you get a division win on the road.

Conclusion : I love beating the Jest and we have to keep rolling. However, The Phillips injury is really tough to take…But this team has been “Next Man Up” all year. Now…. We have a couple “Should Win” games coming up and let’s hope we take care of business.

Thanks, Zim.

Agree 100 percent on your Tua assessment. Miami isn't going far if he plays like he has the last three weeks. That's just realistically the bottom line

No, he hasn't been terrible and has made great plays too, but has also made too many questionable decisions. The pick 6 was maddening because that's the only chance the Jets had to get into the game.

I love Tua, not a hater, but he needs to play better if Miami has super bowl aspirations, which they should.

The turf at Met Life speaks to the entire New York Jets organization: second rate all the way. The Phillips injury is heartbreaking.

So, I led with the concerns. The rest was extremely positive. Going on the road and dominating on both sides of the ball.

The defense played in the Jets backfield for most of the game. The offensive line was incredible. Great win.

Good write up Zimm. Agree w the majority of it. As for play calling vs a D like that I was fine other than the out routes at the end of the half. The back-breaking 92 yard drive was masterful.

Baker got an INT off X’s jumping of the Hall route and deflection.

Well…..A huge win….On the road…..Against a division opponent….. And yet it’s hard to celebrate it in any way. The season ending injury to Phillips took all the joy out of it for me. Add in the usual injury to Armstead, suffered while getting a drink from a water fountain on the way out of the locker room after half time, and you have a rough game from an injury standpoint. The good news is we aren’t doomed in any sense of the word. We’ve shown that Armstead is definitely replaceable and we can scheme a pass rush that will make up for the loss of Phillips. Anyway….On to the grades:

QB — C : Yes, the Jest have a good/great defense. However, Tua did not have a great day. The pick 6 was an AWFUL throw that against a better team could have been crushing. The 2nd pick was just great coverage, but that ball shouldn’t have been thrown. Both picks were Tua’s fault. This has been a trend lately and, at least in my eyes, is starting to get concerning. 21 of 30 for 243 and a 77.5 rating is not a great day by any means. I’ll say it again….We need more from Tua. Let’s hope we get it for the rest of the season.

RB’s — B : Mostert with 94 yards on 20 rushes is actually a good day against a team with a great DL like the Jest. Add 56 yards from Wilson and another 16 from Evan’s and that’s a damn good day in my book. Just like when the RB’s don’t run well, we have to credit the OL here. Opening holes against that DL is no easy task.

WR’s — B + : Why no A here? Because only Waddle and Hill made any catches. The good news is both Waddle and Hill hit for over 100 and were both very good. The bad news is that no other receivers did anything. I’m hoping that Claypool gets healthy for us soon….He brings a skillset none of our other receivers has and hopefully we can utilize it.

TE’s — B - : Smythe had 1 catch for 10 yards but it was his run blocking that earned the B - here. His blocking was sneaky good most of the day.

OL — A : Against a front 7 like the Jest have, I wasn’t expecting a performance like that. Impressive….Most Impressive. I now have to do something here that is a little overdue and something I never thought I’d do….Give credit to Austin Jackson and Liam Eichenberg in the same thread. They were good again this week. While I still think we need OL help this offseason, these guys have made it not quite so critical and have actually performed well this season. There can be an argument made that we have to re-sign Jackson….The scary part is I might argue for it.

DL — A : 29 Yards rushing allowed. 4.5 sacks. Pressure all day. Dominant. Period. Yes, they were playing against the worst OL in the league. Regardless, they did their jobs. Nice game from this group.

LB’s — A : The Phillips injury is so disappointing. They should condemn MetLife stadium tomorrow. Anyway, Phillips had 1 sack and Ogbah 1.5. Baker was active all day and Long and Van Gink played well. A good day for this group.

DB’s — A + : What can you say about Holland’s “Hell Mary” Pick 6? A great moment in Miami Dolphins history and it earned the A by itself. Good games from Ramsey, X and Kohou as well. Nothing less than an A + here.

ST’s — B + : Bailey had 1 punt for 40 yards. Sanders made his 2 kicks. Berrios had a decent kick return and 5 punt returns. Good day by these guys.

Coaching — B + : Against a good Jets team, I thought the play calling could have been a little more creative….But that’s probably nitpicking. A great game called by Fangio. You can’t complaint too much when you get a division win on the road.

Conclusion : I love beating the Jest and we have to keep rolling. However, The Phillips injury is really tough to take…But this team has been “Next Man Up” all year. Now…. We have a couple “Should Win” games coming up and let’s hope we take care of business.
I think this is pretty fair

Tua has the best numbers of any QB against that tough D, this includes Mahomes. I think a C is a bit rough but I get it, those picks were not good but one was apparently a miscommunication...it is what it is though. Hats off to the oline, Holland, Mostert, Sanders and the entire D

I think Tua has played well this year. I think his recent “struggles” are more a product of poor play calling and no consistent 3rd or 4th options after Hill and Waddle.

To be clear, he has made mistakes. That pick 6 was on him although I think that play design is trash deep in your own territory. I hate high risk, low reward routes like Berrios ran there because they are almost impossible to execute and lead to turnovers.

That being said, there have been some huge drops that took away TDs and some wrong routes that lead to INTs the past few weeks. Pair that with questionable 3rd and 4th down play calling and you see Tua having “down” numbers. An example would be that goaline fade to Hill on 4th down on our opening drive. The throw Tua made was about as perfect as it could be going to a 5’9” WR, but Sauce broke it up.

To summarize; I agree Tua can certainly “step up” to another level and we need that from him to make a playoff push. I also think we need to have better situational play calling on offense and get more players involved in the passing game to help him out.

Thanks, Zim.

Agree 100 percent on your Tua assessment. Miami isn't going far if he plays like he has the last three weeks. That's just realistically the bottom line

No, he hasn't been terrible and has made great plays too, but has also made too many questionable decisions. The pick 6 was maddening because that's the only chance the Jets had to get into the game.

I love Tua, not a hater, but he needs to play better if Miami has super bowl aspirations, which they should.

The turf at Met Life speaks to the entire New York Jets organization: second rate all the way. The Phillips injury is heartbreaking.

So, I led with the concerns. The rest was extremely positive. Going on the road and dominating on both sides of the ball.

The defense played in the Jets backfield for most of the game. The offensive line was incredible. Great win.

I agree Tua needs to do better. Once we hit the playoffs, winning and losing will depend on the tiniest of mistakes, and who makes the least of them.

On the positive side, Tua INTs are not due to lack of talent, or ability but mental mistakes and being overconfident that there is no need to have to put that ball perfectly in there all the times. Against a good to great Defense, you better put in there perfectly, or you're gambling with an INT every time.

The line will soon get healthier (Giving Tua that extra look), and Tua will be smarter soon enough. I believe all the coaches, even Dan Marino are telling Tua to just trust himself, and throw it quickly, it's good, because with an O-Line lacking perfect pass-blocking due to injuries, but it also allows him to throw more risky passes, but Tua is not normally a high turnover QB, he's smarter then this, and will soon enough get back into a rhythm of making big plays, without getting lazy, or taking dumb chances.

I agree Tua needs to do better. Once we hit the playoffs, winning and losing will depend on the tiniest of mistakes, and who makes the least of them.

On the positive side, Tua INTs are not due to lack of talent, or ability but mental mistakes and being overconfident that there is no need to have to put that ball perfectly in there all the times. Against a good to great Defense, you better put in there perfectly, or you're gambling with an INT every time.

The line will soon get healthier (Giving Tua that extra look), and Tua will be smarter soon enough. I believe all the coaches, even Dan Marino are telling Tua to just trust himself, and throw it quickly, it's good, because with an O-Line lacking perfect pass-blocking due to injuries, but it also allows him to throw more risky passes, but Tua is not normally a high turnover QB, he's smarter then this, and will soon enough get back into a rhythm of making big plays, without getting lazy, or taking dumb chances.
Agree with everything here.

That Miami is surviving with two, three or four backups on the offensive line over the past month is impressive. But the backups aren't as good as the starters and that's affected the entire offense. Tua included.

I am a little concerned, though. The pass Tua missed at the end of the Kansas City game, isn't typical. That could have been an absolute huge win after training 21-0.

Then again, had the officials not missed on the Hill "fumble," Miami would have only needed a field goal to win it.

The pick 6 bothered me for a couple of reasons. One, that kind of mistake was the only way New York could get into the game. Also, that ball needs to be thrown to the back shoulder of the receiver. We've seen this one a few times from Tua.

Anyway, Tua needs to be at his best for Miami to have a shot.

Back
Top Bottom