Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 2 Edition | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 2 Edition

A+ for the offense and the head coach, 42 points and the win

C- for the defense

If you told me Iggy and X exchanged jerseys before the game, I would understand. X had a really bad day. Hopefully, he gets a couple against Allen.

Seemed like one of them receiver could have made a play, just wasn't fully aware of where the ball was. Throw was kind of rushed because of the pass rush.
Waddle never did locate the ball in the air and it was overthrown. The Raven defensive back was the only player who saw the ball and he made the interception. It wasn’t a great pass by Tua but he made up for it by throwing 6 TD passes in the game.

The biggest issue I had with the defense and ST is that they gave up big plays (KO return, Bateman 75yd TD, Jackson 79yd TD run). Those were the backbreakers that hurt us. Stuff like this needs to be cleaned up. The offense was not too bad other than 2 interceptions that could have nearly been incomplete passes. Tua needs to stop throwing into very tight coverage or if he does needs to get it there quicker.
If we clean this up this team can take on anyone.

I care very little about the picks. This was how Marino played. You can't play cautious or scared. Tua will throw some picks but as this game demonstrated he can throw a bunch of TDs too.
I really don’t get those individuals who don’t understand that interceptions are part of the game because QB’s have to take risks in the game. Most of the time those risks work out and sometimes they don’t.

Marino threw 252 interceptions in his career and 29 of those interceptions were returned for touchdowns. Yet fans understood that Marino was just trying to make a play and sometimes it didn’t work out.

When Tua throws an interception, you would think the world was coming to an end based on the overreaction by some posters on here.

Ummmm…… I quit. Are you ****ing kidding me with that win?? Just for some fun this week, I’m going to post what I was preparing to post prior to the 4th quarter…Then I’ll post the real grades. So let’s get this one started:

QB — The Good: The Good? 36 of 50 (72%) for 469 yards and 6 TD’s?? Those are Dan Marino numbers. In Baltimore. Against a good Ravens team. Out of this world performance in the 2nd half. Phenomenal 4th Quarter. This is what Tua looks like with pass blocking? Count me in.

The Bad: The 2 picks were not good in the first half. Without those 2 picks, Tua has an almost perfect day.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — D + : I thought we were gonna lose by about 21 and I thought the 2 picks hurt us.

The Grade — A - : Someone please send Tua a forklift to help him carry his balls around. I don’t want him to be tired before next weeks game. Again, the 2 picks weren’t good…..But he more than made up for it.

RB’s — The Good: Good Hard running by Mostert today. 51 yards with a 4.6 average. Very nice. He picked up some blitzes today as well. Unfortunately, we got way behind and we couldn’t run the ball enough for my liking. Edmonds had 33 yards today as well. Mostert had 3 catches for 28 yards as well. Good effort by this group. Ingold with some great blocks and 2 nice catches as well.

The Bad — : Not much really to complain about with the RB’s to be honest. Probably the most consistent group on the field. I would love a big bruising back on this to get the tough yards….But Ingold did a good job of that today.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — B : Again, they did a good job today. No real complaints.

The Grade — A : Picking up Blitzes….Clutch catches…. Hard Runs. Color me happy with this group today.

TE’s — The Good: Gesicki with a sicki catch on a very high throw and still got his feet in for the TD. GREAT CATCH. He totaled 4 catches for 41 yards. Nice to see him back in the game plan. Smythe had a catch.

The Bad — The whiff by Smythe on the pickup of the rusher hurt. Not good. The blocking wasn’t spectacular at all and needs to improve. UNTIL THE 4th QUARTER. Then everything went amazingly.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — D + : I wasn’t happy with the pass or run blocking.

The Grade — B : Wow how good they can play when they want to. Great 4th quarter by this group.

OL — The Good: What a second half. From being totally below average in the first half to totally dominating in the 2nd half. The last 30 minutes was the best OL play I’ve seen on this team in 8 years. Good run blocking…..Good pass protection. The 4th quarter was off the charts. Amazing

The Bad — Not a good first half. We looked confused on the OL. No real running lanes. Pass protection was average at best.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — C - : They just weren’t very good at anything. Then BOOM!!

The Grade — B + : What a 4th quarter. This is a confidence builder for this unit. I was actually impressed.

WR’s — The Good: Ummm…..Again Everything. Waddle and Hill are, by far, the best WR duo in the league. Period.

The Bad — A couple drops. Whatever.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — B + : The drops hurt a little.

The Grade — A + : Ridiculous. I mean Ridiculous. As a Dolphins fan I typically don’t even dream this good. I’m pretty sure the Bills are a little afraid of these guys.

DL — The Good: There wasn’t much good today prior to the 4th Quarter. They got shredded. BUT….They had a couple 4th down stops that were clutch. In the 4th quarter…..They stepped up. I even saw Phillips out there.

The Bad — No Sacks or pressure. Gashed for huge runs. Not a good effort for 45 minutes at all.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — F : They did nothing right for 45 minutes except for a very important goal line stand.

The Grade — C - : They got off the field in the 4th quarter when it counted. Regardless, this unit has to be better than they were today.

LB’s — The Good: They showed up when it counted. Clutch coverage in the 4th quarter and good tackling in the 2nd half was huge for us.

The Bad — Jaelan Phillips has just signed with Marvel for the lead in the next Invisible Man movie coming out next summer. Where the hell has he been?? They were non-existent in the first 30 minutes and the tackling was horrible for most of the game.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — F : Abysmal. They got ripped apart by Jackson.

The Grade — C - : They should just thank God there are 4 quarters in a game. This unit wasted the first 2 and were only a little better in the 3rd.

DB’s — The Good: Not much for 3 quarters. Not much at all. X was getting burned. No one was tackling. It was actually depressing. The 4th quarter….Like the rest of the team…This unit started covering and tackling .

The Bad — A Lot. However, I think a lot of the bad here was due to the way they were being coached. If your CB’s are bump and run guys…..Play bump and run. It seems logical to me.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — F : They we’re getting worked all day. It was actually embarrassing.

The Grade — D + : Again….I think the way they were being used hurt them. But regardless, they weren’t doing anything right until the 4th quarter.

ST’s — The Good: Sanders hit all his extra points. Morestead averaged 44 yards on his 2 punts.

The Bad — What an awful way to start a game. It set the shitty tone for the first 45 minutes of game play.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — D+ : Not much was going right.

The Grade — C : Sanders hit all his field goals and didn’t allow another return the rest of the game.

Coaching — The Good: The 2nd half adjustments were good for the most part. The 4th quarter play calling was money.

The Bad — Too Many Penalties! Play call confusion again…… We didn’t look even remotely ready to play this game. The Zero blitz look. You know Baltimore spent all week designing plays against it. I’m not sure Boyer is a very good defensive coach yet. The jury is still out in my book.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — F : A really embarrassing first half. Better in the 3rd quarter.

The Grade — B - : A 4th quarter for the ages.

Conclusion: What a game to watch. I couldn’t be prouder of an NFL team. Absolutely, a game most of us will remember for years. As for Tua…. the doubts are over. What he did today was amazing. He had time….He hit open receivers. Amazing. We still have to improve to beat the Bills next week…..But this team just got a HUGE infusion of confidence.
[/QUOTE
Wow what a review thanks for the hard work

As a Dolphin Fan, I don't typically dream this good....just a perfect description Zim!

Disappointed with the defense, but they did come up big in some key moments. The Baltimore offensive line definitely outplayed Miami's defensive front.

I think the Dolphins will need all three units against the Bills-- offense, defense and special teams.

A coming out party for Tua! Incredible win.
Thanks Brother. Great reply and much appreciated.

The biggest issue I had with the defense and ST is that they gave up big plays (KO return, Bateman 75yd TD, Jackson 79yd TD run). Those were the backbreakers that hurt us. Stuff like this needs to be cleaned up. The offense was not too bad other than 2 interceptions that could have nearly been incomplete passes. Tua needs to stop throwing into very tight coverage or if he does needs to get it there quicker.
If we clean this up this team can take on anyone.
Other than the Jackson long TD in the third quarter, the defense played much better than the first half. So it appear they did clean up a lot of their issues after halftime.

On special teams, they made sure Sanders kickoffs were deeper with no returns.

As far as Tua throwing into tight cover is concerned. The fact is defensive backs in the NFL are good and it’s their job to cover the receivers. Therefore QB’s are frequently throwing into tight coverage and sometimes the defensive back intercepts the ball but most of the time the receiver makes the catch.

If Tua wasn’t willing to throw into tight coverage on occasion, the Dolphins might not have won the game today. Because Waddle was completely covered on that last TD pass but Tua threw it anyway and Waddle came down with the catch.

Old school quote, but it really summed up this game. I still can't believe how the fourth quarter went. I hope the rest of the year is the season of light.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair."

Ummmm…… I quit. Are you ****ing kidding me with that win?? Just for some fun this week, I’m going to post what I was preparing to post prior to the 4th quarter…Then I’ll post the real grades. So let’s get this one started:

QB — The Good: The Good? 36 of 50 (72%) for 469 yards and 6 TD’s?? Those are Dan Marino numbers. In Baltimore. Against a good Ravens team. Out of this world performance in the 2nd half. Phenomenal 4th Quarter. This is what Tua looks like with pass blocking? Count me in.

The Bad: The 2 picks were not good in the first half. Without those 2 picks, Tua has an almost perfect day.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — D + : I thought we were gonna lose by about 21 and I thought the 2 picks hurt us.

The Grade — A - : Someone please send Tua a forklift to help him carry his balls around. I don’t want him to be tired before next weeks game. Again, the 2 picks weren’t good…..But he more than made up for it.

RB’s — The Good: Good Hard running by Mostert today. 51 yards with a 4.6 average. Very nice. He picked up some blitzes today as well. Unfortunately, we got way behind and we couldn’t run the ball enough for my liking. Edmonds had 33 yards today as well. Mostert had 3 catches for 28 yards as well. Good effort by this group. Ingold with some great blocks and 2 nice catches as well.

The Bad — : Not much really to complain about with the RB’s to be honest. Probably the most consistent group on the field. I would love a big bruising back on this to get the tough yards….But Ingold did a good job of that today.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — B : Again, they did a good job today. No real complaints.

The Grade — A : Picking up Blitzes….Clutch catches…. Hard Runs. Color me happy with this group today.

TE’s — The Good: Gesicki with a sicki catch on a very high throw and still got his feet in for the TD. GREAT CATCH. He totaled 4 catches for 41 yards. Nice to see him back in the game plan. Smythe had a catch.

The Bad — The whiff by Smythe on the pickup of the rusher hurt. Not good. The blocking wasn’t spectacular at all and needs to improve. UNTIL THE 4th QUARTER. Then everything went amazingly.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — D + : I wasn’t happy with the pass or run blocking.

The Grade — B : Wow how good they can play when they want to. Great 4th quarter by this group.

OL — The Good: What a second half. From being totally below average in the first half to totally dominating in the 2nd half. The last 30 minutes was the best OL play I’ve seen on this team in 8 years. Good run blocking…..Good pass protection. The 4th quarter was off the charts. Amazing

The Bad — Not a good first half. We looked confused on the OL. No real running lanes. Pass protection was average at best.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — C - : They just weren’t very good at anything. Then BOOM!!

The Grade — B + : What a 4th quarter. This is a confidence builder for this unit. I was actually impressed.

WR’s — The Good: Ummm…..Again Everything. Waddle and Hill are, by far, the best WR duo in the league. Period.

The Bad — A couple drops. Whatever.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — B + : The drops hurt a little.

The Grade — A + : Ridiculous. I mean Ridiculous. As a Dolphins fan I typically don’t even dream this good. I’m pretty sure the Bills are a little afraid of these guys.

DL — The Good: There wasn’t much good today prior to the 4th Quarter. They got shredded. BUT….They had a couple 4th down stops that were clutch. In the 4th quarter…..They stepped up. I even saw Phillips out there.

The Bad — No Sacks or pressure. Gashed for huge runs. Not a good effort for 45 minutes at all.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — F : They did nothing right for 45 minutes except for a very important goal line stand.

The Grade — C - : They got off the field in the 4th quarter when it counted. Regardless, this unit has to be better than they were today.

LB’s — The Good: They showed up when it counted. Clutch coverage in the 4th quarter and good tackling in the 2nd half was huge for us.

The Bad — Jaelan Phillips has just signed with Marvel for the lead in the next Invisible Man movie coming out next summer. Where the hell has he been?? They were non-existent in the first 30 minutes and the tackling was horrible for most of the game.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — F : Abysmal. They got ripped apart by Jackson.

The Grade — C - : They should just thank God there are 4 quarters in a game. This unit wasted the first 2 and were only a little better in the 3rd.

DB’s — The Good: Not much for 3 quarters. Not much at all. X was getting burned. No one was tackling. It was actually depressing. The 4th quarter….Like the rest of the team…This unit started covering and tackling .

The Bad — A Lot. However, I think a lot of the bad here was due to the way they were being coached. If your CB’s are bump and run guys…..Play bump and run. It seems logical to me.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — F : They we’re getting worked all day. It was actually embarrassing.

The Grade — D + : Again….I think the way they were being used hurt them. But regardless, they weren’t doing anything right until the 4th quarter.

ST’s — The Good: Sanders hit all his extra points. Morestead averaged 44 yards on his 2 punts.

The Bad — What an awful way to start a game. It set the shitty tone for the first 45 minutes of game play.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — D+ : Not much was going right.

The Grade — C : Sanders hit all his field goals and didn’t allow another return the rest of the game.

Coaching — The Good: The 2nd half adjustments were good for the most part. The 4th quarter play calling was money.

The Bad — Too Many Penalties! Play call confusion again…… We didn’t look even remotely ready to play this game. The Zero blitz look. You know Baltimore spent all week designing plays against it. I’m not sure Boyer is a very good defensive coach yet. The jury is still out in my book.

Prior to 4th Qtr Grade — F : A really embarrassing first half. Better in the 3rd quarter.

The Grade — B - : A 4th quarter for the ages.

Conclusion: What a game to watch. I couldn’t be prouder of an NFL team. Absolutely, a game most of us will remember for years. As for Tua…. the doubts are over. What he did today was amazing. He had time….He hit open receivers. Amazing. We still have to improve to beat the Bills next week…..But this team just got a HUGE infusion of confidence.
Rewatch the game - basically Hill busting their D for two bombs (that he literally had to wait for the ball on both he was so wide open won the game for us…

Our d line did right well the whole game - none of the 3 long Raven TDS were the D lines fault - bad angles by secondary players cost us 21 points - now Lamar Dverney and Bateman wee amazing on those scores - especially Lamar…

We stopped them on the goal line and third and 4th a good deal throughout…Drake looked like Drek - Lamar had that one big run which was about Xs poor angle and Lamar’s blinding speed….our Offense was very pedestrian - Waddle and Hill are so special - those two manufactured 3 TDS and Tua left a bunch more with those two on the table - Gisecki was great too…

The Ravens are really good - really really good - playing with the lead hurt them in the end - they are overall more talented then we are and Lamar is a very good player - he does bonehead things from time to time - like Xs dropped pick 6…

The Dolphins are in the Ravens cosmos now - that gets you playoffs - and playoffs are the road to championships so let’s see…

I’ve never seen faster receivers. The Dolphins are fun to watch again. They can both do things you don’t want others to even try (like reversing field and giving up yards) and you want them to.
I have been watching football since the mid 1950’s and no team has ever had two receivers as fast and as good as Waddle and Hill.
There have been teams with multiple WR’s who are excellent WR’s but not with the combined speed of Hill and Waddle.

I have been watching football since the mid 1950’s and no team has ever had two receivers as fast and as good as Waddle and Hill.
There have been teams with multiple WR’s who are excellent WR’s but not with the combined speed of Hill and Waddle.
There have surely been two receivers as fast - I mean Al Davis was in the league most of those years - but you haven't seen two guys with that kind of speed who are also legit polished receivers who aren't just athletes but also good at their craft.

Back
Top Bottom