Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 3 Edition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades For The Game: Week 3 Edition

IMO the running backs deserve a smidge higher grade, C+/B-. 4.8 ypc between Brown and Gaskins is very good all things considered. Sure, large run(s) inflate the average, but that's just how it goes in the NFL at times. And for me anyways, my expectations of this backfield is meh so to me the fact they ended up with decent numbers is a plus in my book

Other than that I agree.

Kind of concerning that Grier and possibly Flo hand out these big deals to guys and we get little ROI.

Only 3 games in but Baker has been looking like a guy who should be getting maybe half of his extension payday if that.

Be Forewarned….. A lot of you are not going to like my grades this week. Here they are:

QB — C - : Jacoby Brissett didn’t play that bad to be honest. He made some nice throws. I actually blame this loss on our horrible OL (no shocker there) and our terrible play calling. Brissett even ran for a few nice first downs. All in all….Not a bad game by a career backup.

RB — C - :Brown started the game over Gaskin? I’m assuming that was because of pass pro issues. In my book.. Blaming the pass pro issues on the RB’s is like blaming the Titanic hitting the ice berg on the engine mechanics. Sure they were part of it….But they didn’t steer the ****en ship. Anyway….Gaskin had a couple nice runs. Obviously, we need more production from this unit. I was going to give them a D but then I remembered they play behind the worst OL in the league.

TE — D + : Gesicki finally got into the game late. Ummmmm….That’s pretty much it. The run blocking has to improve dramatically for this unit. Except for a few good plays by Gesicki…This was a Solid F.

WR — C - : Parker was decent. Waddle with a busy day. Not bad at all by him. However, our ****ty Offensive Coordinators aren’t really using him correctly yet IMO. He’s a keeper though. Fuller with a couple drops. Not an auspicious start by any means. Although, I thought he deserved a PI in the end zone.

OL — F : Again. Note to Austin Jackson….Please quit playing football. You are not good at it. I’m sure there are going to be guys on here saying “Well…. He played better than last week” And “He only gave up 8 hurries compared to last weeks 12”. I hate to break it to you guys…He is a bust. He needs to be sat down immediately. Davis was bad at guard. Eichenberg was only marginally better than Davis was at RT. That’s disappointing. And here’s a news flash…Deiter is not good at Center. How many times was Brissett hurried tonight? At least 20. Pathetic.

DL — D : Too many holes for Raider backs to run through. Too little pass rush. Not a great game. Yes, Wilkins made a few plays…Nowhere near enough. Did Phillips get near Carr today? I didn’t see it if he did. Where has Ogbah been? The D could not get off the field again on 3rd down. This unit has to step up.

LB — D + : The plus is for the pick six by Roberts. Other than that…Did any one of them do anything to change the game at all? Nope.

DB’s — C+ : Again, this is the best unit on the field for the Dolphins. X played well today. Jones played well. Brandon Jones played well today. Holland played well. Coleman brought this unit down from a B -. He didn’t look so great today.

ST’s — D : Sanders with a couple misses. Palardy just sucks in my book. Jakeem Grant with a typical Jakeem Grant day

Coaching and Front Office — F : Again. Offensive play calling is atrocious. If your OL sucks creating a pocket…Move the ****en pocket….Throw screens to tire out their DL. Do something different for Christ’s sake. Just asking for a friend….Did Noah get in the game? I give them credit for hanging in…But I thought we really could have won that game if we had better offensive play calling. I hated the inside toss to Gesicki….The 2nd time was even worse.

JB played better 4Q and OT. C+/B-
OL was better 4Q and OT
WR, IMO, are hurt more by play-calling and scheme than talent
DL run R was good until they wore out. Pass rush? Sporadic, but poor overall
DBs afected by Carr having 4-6 seconds

Will Fuller looked rusty to say the least. Hopefully he gets better after his first week back. Wilson was inactive as was Preston Williams. Wilson also did not look good at all over the first two weeks so I get it. Too many drops with all the WR's except for Waddle.

It doesn't seem as if Brissett gets the ball out as quick as Tua but I haven't studied the games enough to know whether the issue is the scheme/routes run or what. Doesn't seem like they are maximizing players abilities and putting them in position to do what they excel at, which is what the coaches preach.

Jacoby looks like he is hesitant and just waiting to get clobbered but considering the blocking, he was above average compared to what most backups would have done.

Trayvon Mullen and the other guys looked like top notch corners for some reason. Have they improved that much since last season or are we just making them look like they improved? I know the pass rush helps but these guys are like night and day from last year. Similar to Buffalo last week, they all looked good and I only expected it from Tre White.

More and more signs pointing to a bad scheme/play design but I don't know. Like I said, I haven't studied any film and watched the game from a blurry PC sent to my 55" tv on YouTube TV.

JB played better 4Q and OT. C+/B-
OL was better 4Q and OT
WR, IMO, are hurt more by play-calling and scheme than talent
DL run R was good until they wore out. Pass rush? Sporadic, but poor overall
DBs afected by Carr having 4-6 seconds
I agree with most of what you said. And when I sit back and look at the three games I Phil we have the talent just not a properly run offense.

By this I mean we are all over the place and don’t fit one specific scheme. I think that affects the play on the field. If you put several of our offensive players on another team I guarantee you will see high production. Gesicki, waddle, Parker, Fuller and even Grant. My man Grant can’t catch a cold but if he’s on the 53 utilize his speed in other creative ways.

I’m a bit doom and gloom because it seems to be same old dolphins you’re in a year out but we were in every game this year in a brutal First few games. I think there’s a lot of blame to be passed around but I think if we had an established successful offensive coordinator and possibly a better quarterback and that is debatable but I think we would be competing for the division.

Our D is solid, they can surely play better, but if they Get off the field more often and were provided with an offense that can actually Limit the three and outs, I think we would see even better results. Our defense we need better linebacker play and a pass rush.

Coaching F - its really all you need to know.

This team has talent, these coaches are absolutely abysmal at utilizing it or adjusting scheme. its freaking appalling.

we are terrible in pass protection so lets throw the ball 49 times
the coach is a MASSIVE problem.

Thank you for the recap Zim. I agree with all of it except the QB probably a bit below average, but QB wasn't the worst unit on the field, that belonged to the OC. When it takes nearly 4 downs to get into the EZ from the 1YL after a gift PI call, something needs to be done about the OC...yesterday, just don't come home. Poach one from Washington, Pit, Dallas or Cinci with a promotion. Flores has no experience in coaching unit management he's just a coach and not yet experienced in the other duties of head coaching.

It's going to take quite a few games before this offense finds itself. New co-coordinators and QB. I see an O-line that can run and screen block a little but cannot pass protect. A offense built for Tua but no Tua.. I like Flo and Grier.. Hope their gamble on this young O-line pays off. if not we do have draft capital and cap space.

Be Forewarned….. A lot of you are not going to like my grades this week. Here they are:

QB — C - : Jacoby Brissett didn’t play that bad to be honest. He made some nice throws. I actually blame this loss on our horrible OL (no shocker there) and our terrible play calling. Brissett even ran for a few nice first downs. All in all….Not a bad game by a career backup.

RB — C - :Brown started the game over Gaskin? I’m assuming that was because of pass pro issues. In my book.. Blaming the pass pro issues on the RB’s is like blaming the Titanic hitting the ice berg on the engine mechanics. Sure they were part of it….But they didn’t steer the ****en ship. Anyway….Gaskin had a couple nice runs. Obviously, we need more production from this unit. I was going to give them a D but then I remembered they play behind the worst OL in the league.

TE — D + : Gesicki finally got into the game late. Ummmmm….That’s pretty much it. The run blocking has to improve dramatically for this unit. Except for a few good plays by Gesicki…This was a Solid F.

WR — C - : Parker was decent. Waddle with a busy day. Not bad at all by him. However, our ****ty Offensive Coordinators aren’t really using him correctly yet IMO. He’s a keeper though. Fuller with a couple drops. Not an auspicious start by any means. Although, I thought he deserved a PI in the end zone.

OL — F : Again. Note to Austin Jackson….Please quit playing football. You are not good at it. I’m sure there are going to be guys on here saying “Well…. He played better than last week” And “He only gave up 8 hurries compared to last weeks 12”. I hate to break it to you guys…He is a bust. He needs to be sat down immediately. Davis was bad at guard. Eichenberg was only marginally better than Davis was at RT. That’s disappointing. And here’s a news flash…Deiter is not good at Center. How many times was Brissett hurried tonight? At least 20. Pathetic.

DL — D : Too many holes for Raider backs to run through. Too little pass rush. Not a great game. Yes, Wilkins made a few plays…Nowhere near enough. Did Phillips get near Carr today? I didn’t see it if he did. Where has Ogbah been? The D could not get off the field again on 3rd down. This unit has to step up.

LB — D + : The plus is for the pick six by Roberts. Other than that…Did any one of them do anything to change the game at all? Nope.

DB’s — C+ : Again, this is the best unit on the field for the Dolphins. X played well today. Jones played well. Brandon Jones played well today. Holland played well. Coleman brought this unit down from a B -. He didn’t look so great today.

ST’s — D : Sanders with a couple misses. Palardy just sucks in my book. Jakeem Grant with a typical Jakeem Grant day

Coaching and Front Office — F : Again. Offensive play calling is atrocious. If your OL sucks creating a pocket…Move the ****en pocket….Throw screens to tire out their DL. Do something different for Christ’s sake. Just asking for a friend….Did Noah get in the game? I give them credit for hanging in…But I thought we really could have won that game if we had better offensive play calling. I hated the inside toss to Gesicki….The 2nd time was even worse.
I would give the offensive line a C, we had over 120 yards rushing and I believe 2 sacks
TE, Gesicki had big catches, I give them a C
ST an F, that missed field goal was the difference in the game
Brissett, yes, he did many good things but also many bad passes, example, the safety, that was an easy throw and Waddle needed to jump to get the ball, maybe a strong accurate throw and Waddle gets 2 yards

The refs screwed us too, that throw to Fuller in the endzone was a pass interference.

I thought i saw Eichenberg play left guard?

Deiter doesnt seem bad at all at Center.
Dieter is below average at C and we need to upgrade!

Back
Top Bottom