Zim’s Grades Week 11 Edition | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Zim’s Grades Week 11 Edition

IMO it starts with Karras. There are issues all over the place with missed assignments and confusion with blitzes/stunts. It’s the center’s job to be making the protection calls.

I think the next biggest issue is that DCs have simply figured our OL out. Have to remember it featured 4 new starters week 1. The tape is out there now and it has become fairly clear where are weaknesses are.
You should also consider that Karras is making the calls, but the others still can't do it.

You should also consider that Karras is making the calls, but the others still can't do it.
You should also consider that Karras can make calls, but that doesn’t mean they are correct. There is a clear communication issue. A good center makes every player on the OL better. All I have seen from Karras is that he would be a solid back up on a team with a better OL...like NE. The reality is that our issues aren’t all on him, but as the starting center it falls on him to get the communication straight moving forward.

Sooo... you don’t want the Oline to be better?

I absolutely do, but to me the perfect draft would allow us to get Micah Parsons, and one of the top receivers with the other 1st round pick.

Also Karras has been the most consistent and solid piece of the line, and we have two talented guards (I know one is being groomed for RT), so getting Humphrey for center is somewhat wasted in the 1st, if he's there in the 2nd, then I am all for it...if he for some reason lasted that long.

I absolutely do, but to me the perfect draft would allow us to get Micah Parsons, and one of the top receivers with the other 1st round pick.

Also Karras has been the most consistent and solid piece of the line, and we have two talented guards (I know one is being groomed for RT), so getting Humphrey for center is somewhat wasted in the 1st, if he's there in the 2nd, then I am all for it...if he for some reason lasted that long.
Amazing the range of opinions we see here.

I have seen others say Karras is trash, and needs to be replaced, at any cost.

Yeah, like everything, everyone has an opinion. He had one bad game against the Chargers, and that was enough to get many to dislike him.

I find 2 penalties, and no sacks allowed, while bringing considerable help to both Guards on either side of him to be a solid to maybe better then solid.

Both Karras and flowers are decent pass blockers... but both get destroyed in the run game way to much...

Hunt isn't really a Tackle and Davis is only a 6th man.

That's a big dilemma with Hunt. He isn't built ideal for either guard or tackle. True tweener. At tackle he's more a catcher than anything else. That really stood out in the early stages of the Jets game. Hunt doesn't extend or punch at all in pass blocking. He essentially allows the end direct access to his chest and then mostly catches him while retreating. Confused arms that never do the same thing from play to play. I think the confused aspect is what prevents holding calls. It looks so unnatural the referee can't zero in on a tendency.

Later in the game Hunt did a little bit better. He'd catch the end with his chest and then shove him to the outside. That works with Fitzpatrick at quarterback because he's going forward at that point.

Davis is better at tackle than guard. Our best lineup now is Davis outside Kindley with Hunt on the bench.

Somehow Dieter is all but forgotten even though he was a much higher pick than Asiata yet everyone begged for Asiata for years.

That's a big dilemma with Hunt. He isn't built ideal for either guard or tackle. True tweener. At tackle he's more a catcher than anything else. That really stood out in the early stages of the Jets game. Hunt doesn't extend or punch at all in pass blocking. He essentially allows the end direct access to his chest and then mostly catches him while retreating. Confused arms that never do the same thing from play to play. I think the confused aspect is what prevents holding calls. It looks so unnatural the referee can't zero in on a tendency.

Later in the game Hunt did a little bit better. He'd catch the end with his chest and then shove him to the outside. That works with Fitzpatrick at quarterback because he's going forward at that point.

Davis is better at tackle than guard. Our best lineup now is Davis outside Kindley with Hunt on the bench.

Somehow Dieter is all but forgotten even though he was a much higher pick than Asiata yet everyone begged for Asiata for years.
Would agree with all of that.

I think the intent (as many experts guessed) was that we drafted Hunt to play one season at RT, before moving inside... but then Kindley fell much farther than we thought he would and as we had them ranked right next to one another on our board, so we jumped on that, and now he's beaten Hunt for the job.

Flowers was signed to a three year deal that is more of a two year deal... so he was viewed as a guy who might make it, but we weren't giving him long-term security. Which brings us back to Hunt, who needs to move inside, but there is no room for him yet. Honestly, I think he becomes the 3rd Guard next year as we work with him to replace Flowers long-term.

Deiter, if he doesn't replace Karras next year will be a failed pick. It's as easy as that.

I've been banging the drum for us to draft a REAL RT in the upcoming draft.

I wanna give the kids a full real offseason... I think a lot of these issues are not fix as we go things.. you can't ask a player to switch too much week to week or end up with Jonathan Martin and Dallas Thomas results.. Hunt looks good moving to the 2nd level and using his arms so I wonder are they coaching him not to extend in pass protection because his hands are not strong enough yet.. seen Ogbah chops in practice and told the kid to swallow contact instead. Kindley always looks solid on tape to me mostly because if all else fails the effort is always there. I think moving Davis back to LT and letting Jackson sit might be the move upcoming. The kids on the right can and will learn.. Jackson looks to be wearing down and getting sloppy with techniques that were very clean to start the season.. might be injury related still..
Karras has to go or we will never run the ball with authority.. he can move better than I thought and can handle a 1 on 1 but looks lost more often than not.
The whole teams shifting presnap and confusion on the O line shows way to often.

Back
Top Bottom