14:59...MIA on the clock. Who do you take? | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

14:59...MIA on the clock. Who do you take?

With the #1 selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select...

• Chris Long - Defensive End - Virginia

Votes: 186 42.8%
  • Jake Long - Offensive Tackle - Michigan

Votes: 150 34.5%
  • Glenn Dorsey - Defensive Tackle - LSU

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • Matt Ryan - Quarterback - Boston College

Votes: 31 7.1%
  • Sedrick Ellis - Defensive Tackle - USC

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Darren McFadden - Runningback - Arkansas

Votes: 15 3.4%
  • Vernon Gholsten - Defensive End - Ohio State

Votes: 27 6.2%
  • Ryan Clady - Offensive Tackle - Boise State

Votes: 4 0.9%
  • Brian Brohm - Quarterback - Louisville

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
False! If we go BPA, Chris Long has to be the pick.

Dont get me wrong. If we go Chris Long, Gosder Cherilus has to be the 2nd pick. Both of those could be considered BPA's depending on how it unfolds...but its all about opinion at this point.

If we select Jake Long were addressing a HUGE need. My point was that from that point on in the rest of the draft we could go BPA (having already addressed the biggest spot on our team) so we could take Fred Davis, James Hardy, a top CB, Dan Conner, the list goes on and on.

If we take Chris Long #1...then we HAVE to go O-Line next if we want one of the really solid guys in this bunch. We wont be able to go BPA. I understand you think Long is BPA overall, but I'm talking about the rest of the draft. taking Chris makes us go for needs after.

The biggest need is OL so put a long term brick in it with Jake Long (BPA for our needs) , then look to best CB , WR , ILB with pick 2a ,depending who is available. Take best guard left at 2b and our OL is sorted for a decade. Cover CB , WR , ILB (depending on pick 2a) and TE in rounds 3-6 and hopefully add some depth to OL , LB late on. IMO we should leave QB untill Beck shows his worth behind a decent OL (unless someone like Brohm or Flacco fall to 4th round) . I wont put up a mock yet since i know very little of the players in the draft outwith the top 32 projected but i'll do some reading and hopefully give a good old Scottish mock ....

I just want the Dolphins to take the best available player that they can possibly get. Just look at the drafts in the past and see how many good players get passed on because of need or potential. Good example would be Shawne Merriman and Demarcus Ware who both got picked after top ten who probably should have been top ten based off their production. Merriman had like 32.5 career sacks in like 36 games while Demarcus Ware put up 33.5 career sacks. Look at all the defensive players taken ahead of them and tell me you wouldn't switch any of those players out for these two. Carlos Rodgers stinks and Antrel Role is good but not as good as those two. Personally i think Vernon Gholston is going to be a beast but if we got Jake Long who could be Pro Bowl LT i wouldn't be mad. Chris Long is a beast as well but where would he play? Can he play OLB? I think Vernon would be a better fit as an OLB in the 3-4 than Long would.

I think we have a couple of options and BP should be thinking of trades and how to get more picks . With that said forget smoke screens.

#1 option With thie 1st pick I think we take Run DMC and force JJ hand and make him trade his two 1st and a 2nd or 3rd. He wants him and thinks he can trade with Oak or KC and get him. Either way I think we can trade RunDMC to alot of teams for multiple picks and/or veteran players. If not then what we are stuck with one of the best RB to come out of college in years. Then we can trade Ricky for a pick/picks. If RBrown comes back healthy than we have the best 1-2 punch in the NFL. Imagine that Brown and DMAC in the Backfield. Cmon that would be nice and you know it.
And Dall might give up their 2 1st rounders and Barber still thats an option but if not we could get Carpenter,Spears, Maybe Crayton,Ware or Canty any of these players would help us out alot . Any way we go would be great

#2 option is we take Matty Ryan and force a couple of hands here. First off we can make ATL give up alot of picks since they have a boatload. They might be willing to give up #3 ,#34 ,#37 or#48, #68 and maybe late round picks. Either way we would be at least 4 picks richer in a great deep draft class. With the #3 we can take wither of the Longs or we could trade take RunDmc and once again force JJ hand. We could end up with Atl 4 picks and Dall 3 picks or 4 and a veteran player.

#3 Option is Ryan again since Herm Edwards loves Ryan. We could get their #5 , #35 ,#66, #101 , and get our 5th rounder they stole for Trent Green.

Any of these options would be great. Hopefully we wouldnt get sutck if we took Ryan. If we could Take Ryan and trade with Atl and then take DMAC and trade with Dall we could definately compete next year with the 2 Dallas picks and players and the 3 or 4 picks from ATL. We could have 7 picks in the first 63 picks. How nice would that be. These are possiblilites too. Atl and KC want Ryan and JJ wants DMAC so if you can think of a way this is impossible let me know. I think we actually draft the player and then trade not trade the pick. If the player is already ours then they have to play the game we want them to play. thanks

I think we have a couple of options and BP should be thinking of trades and how to get more picks . With that said forget smoke screens.

#1 option With thie 1st pick I think we take Run DMC and force JJ hand and make him trade his two 1st and a 2nd or 3rd. He wants him and thinks he can trade with Oak or KC and get him. Either way I think we can trade RunDMC to alot of teams for multiple picks and/or veteran players. If not then what we are stuck with one of the best RB to come out of college in years. Then we can trade Ricky for a pick/picks. If RBrown comes back healthy than we have the best 1-2 punch in the NFL. Imagine that Brown and DMAC in the Backfield. Cmon that would be nice and you know it.
And Dall might give up their 2 1st rounders and Barber still thats an option but if not we could get Carpenter,Spears, Maybe Crayton,Ware or Canty any of these players would help us out alot . Any way we go would be great

#2 option is we take Matty Ryan and force a couple of hands here. First off we can make ATL give up alot of picks since they have a boatload. They might be willing to give up #3 ,#34 ,#37 or#48, #68 and maybe late round picks. Either way we would be at least 4 picks richer in a great deep draft class. With the #3 we can take wither of the Longs or we could trade take RunDmc and once again force JJ hand. We could end up with Atl 4 picks and Dall 3 picks or 4 and a veteran player.

#3 Option is Ryan again since Herm Edwards loves Ryan. We could get their #5 , #35 ,#66, #101 , and get our 5th rounder they stole for Trent Green.

Any of these options would be great. Hopefully we wouldnt get sutck if we took Ryan. If we could Take Ryan and trade with Atl and then take DMAC and trade with Dall we could definately compete next year with the 2 Dallas picks and players and the 3 or 4 picks from ATL. We could have 7 picks in the first 63 picks. How nice would that be. These are possiblilites too. Atl and KC want Ryan and JJ wants DMAC so if you can think of a way this is impossible let me know. I think we actually draft the player and then trade not trade the pick. If the player is already ours then they have to play the game we want them to play. thanks

Nice thinking , not sure any of it will happen but nice thinking all the same . I would be happy if any of the 3 options came true though.

i think chris long is the BPA in the draft so i say him. he might not fit our biggest need but for the #1 overall payer money he is the best pick. Ryan (too much of a bust factor for any QB) Dorsey redeemed himself but injury history at #1 never is a good choice. And Jake Long many people say he can only play RT and you dont pay 60 million to a RT. If you look at the biggest busts (someone posted it recently) they are either a QB, because of and injury (mainly reoccurring ones from college) and character issues. With Chris Long you dont have to worry about any of those, he is one of the hardest working guys in the draft, if not the hardest. this is just my opinion

ps thats funny how you have 14:59 minutes on the clock because we only get 10:00 minutes now in the first day picks. they changed it.

i think chris long is the BPA in the draft so i say him. he might not fit our biggest need but for the #1 overall payer money he is the best pick. Ryan (too much of a bust factor for any QB) Dorsey redeemed himself but injury history at #1 never is a good choice. And Jake Long many people say he can only play RT and you dont pay 60 million to a RT. If you look at the biggest busts (someone posted it recently) they are either a QB, because of and injury (mainly reoccurring ones from college) and character issues. With Chris Long you dont have to worry about any of those, he is one of the hardest working guys in the draft, if not the hardest. this is just my opinion

ps thats funny how you have 14:59 minutes on the clock because we only get 10:00 minutes now in the first day picks. they changed it.

haaha, yeah i think that they had announced the change a little while before i created the thread and i didnt know yet :) all the same though :lol:

i do have to disagree though. although if BP and Ireland think that Jake is just a RT then I think you're right, we need to take Chris. I havnt heard any scout or analyst say jake is NOT a LT prospect...its just that he might struggle a bit with the speed ends. thats it...they say that if he played RT he'd be a pro bowler without a doubt. So my question to you is...

Would you rather draft a player #1 overall that will be GUARANTEED as a pro bowler...(He'd dominate the RT position for the next decade = big long term value) & directly impact the QB, RB, and WR's play...

OR

Would you rather have a defensive stud from college that isnt a fit as DE for our 3-4...and would have to be a OLB in our system? A system hes not familiar with? I don't think you can say that Chris Long is guaranteed to be a pro bowler...at either position. He may struggle with the change, he may not truly have the athleticism to play OLB. Even if he does, we have JT/Porter right now. I don't think he brings the same kind of impact to the team for the next decade in comparison to Jake. He just isnt a guaranteed prospect. His worst case scenario is to be a mediocre OLB in our system...thats just not acceptable for the #1 overall. You gotta take a pro bowler.

Jake gives us that worst case RT pro bowl scenario...and if he works out. then hes a pro bowl LT!!! How great would that be...

Official NFL.com POLL
Who should the Dolphins take with the No. 1 overall pick?

Glenn Dorsey - %13
Chris Long - %36
Jake Long - 15%
Matt Ryan - 37%

Total Votes: 69600

check out the comparison with our fanbase and the total NFL ^^^ haha. I like ours better. much better.

Back
Top Bottom