***2010 NBA Free Agency Thread*** | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

***2010 NBA Free Agency Thread***

my point is the guy could be a great defender...i've seen flashes of it...but again i don't think the EFFORT is there...he's not TERRIBLE at anything...period

he has all the physical attributes to be the best at just about everything in the game...minus the consistency on the jumper and the post up game...

Well of course the guy could be a great defender. He's 6'9, 250, with exceptional speed and quickness....... It's never going to happen though. 7 years in the league though and he's still the same player he was when he came in. Hasn't improved defensively, hasn't improved his jumper. While He obviously could still improve in those areas, I wouldn't bet on it.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

not many...not sure what your point is there

The reason LeBron can guard PG's is because of his size and quickness. It has literally nothing to do with being a good defender. You pretty much summed it up with another post, he can guard PG's because of his unmatched athleticism. His unmatched athleticism is the only reason he's an average defender on the wings. He's just not fundamentally sound at all as a defender, and doesn't put the effort into it as you said.

so all size and quickness huh....i completely disagree...you want to make that too easy with that statement...it's too easy to say his size and quickness...well both of those things play into every aspect of the game pretty much...

there aren't many good individual defenders in the nba anyways...it's all about team d in the postseason when it matters...the regular season is a joke...

to each his own...

I have seen rumors of Lebron pitching Ray Allen to come to Miami. All would have to agree to take less money, but if they can put that behind him . . . the money that is to made on "other things in their careers" would more than make up for it.

Imagine Wade/Bron/Bosh/Allen on the same team. Wade to PG? Pat Riley would definitely coach all those egos.

b/t i think his jumper has improved since he came in the league...its still not consistent more streaky but its better than it was...the problem is he tends to fall in love with it even when he's not on and teams are willing to live and die off of his shooting jumpers...

that's my one thing that i think he should be working hard at in the gym...that and developing a more back to the basket post game where he can take advantage of his size etc in the post...if those 2 things ever do come in WATCH OUT

he could be the best ever...

but is he more worried about his global icon status than his game??? hmmm...

I have seen rumors of Lebron pitching Ray Allen to come to Miami. All would have to agree to take less money, but if they can put that behind him . . . the money that is to made on "other things in their careers" would more than make up for it.

Imagine Wade/Bron/Bosh/Allen on the same team. Wade to PG? Pat Riley would definitely coach all those egos.

i'd be leary of ray allen for anything more than a 2 year deal...his jumper in the postseason was way too streaky...i think his legs are going...missed too many good looks for me to say other wise...

2 years say $20 mil fine anything more buyer beware...and i'd be nervous about that 2nd year

That's one of the dumber arguments that's been floating around for a while. I think that annoying stat guy Hollinger started this whole thing. Did noone watch the olympics?

The funny thing is that 4 yrs ago Heat fans were complaining that Wade was too deferential to Shaq. When these guys are given quality teammates they are both more than happy to see the offense run through another. Its just been the unfortunate case for Wade since Shaq left and Lebron his entire career that their teammates have been lacking.

Yeah, I did watch the Olympics, and we weren't as dominant as our talent would have suggested. Wade and Lebron not being complimentary players has little to do with each player's selfishness. You come off as a newb to the game when you suggest that. How does each player score? Where does each player excel? They're each two of the game's strongest penetration threats. Neither is a spot up shooter. So what do you get? You get them taking turns, and neither keeps the D from helping (as neither is an exceptional shooter). Pippen was a great compliment to Jordan - and not a great #1 option - because he moved with out the ball and hit the open J. The first Dream Team was so much better than any since because you had complimentary players. In Chicago, they surrounded Jordan with players than could hit the open J - not players that could do what he could almost as well as him.

Again, it's not about willingness to share the ball; it's about complimentary games. Bosh shoots the mid-range J very well and moves well without the ball. Hence, he would work well with Wade or James. Not a dumb argument at all, when you know the game.

b/t i think his jumper has improved since he came in the league...its still not consistent more streaky but its better than it was...the problem is he tends to fall in love with it even when he's not on and teams are willing to live and die off of his shooting jumpers...

that's my one thing that i think he should be working hard at in the gym...that and developing a more back to the basket post game where he can take advantage of his size etc in the post...if those 2 things ever do come in WATCH OUT

but is he more worried about his global icon status than his game??? hmmm...

I actually think that's exactly what he is. I think at this point in time he's more concerned with feeding his ego than improving his game even more. If he can put his ego aside and join Miami instead of the Knicks, I'll have more respect for him. My biggest gripe is that he doesn't seem to want to win as much as Kobe does, He doesn't seem to be as big a leader as Kobe is. He'd rather feed his ego. Maybe it's just me, but that's the sense I've gotten from LeBron up until now. As I said, He'll earn a lot more respect from me if he puts his ago aside and joins Wade and Bosh in Miami for a legit shot at a championship, rather than rather than go to a team completely devoid of any talent in the Knicks, just so he could be in a huge market like New York.

i'd be leary of ray allen for anything more than a 2 year deal...his jumper in the postseason was way too streaky...i think his legs are going...missed too many good looks for me to say other wise...

2 years say $20 mil fine anything more buyer beware...and i'd be nervous about that 2nd year

10 mill a year seems a bit much for Ray Allen at this point in his career.

^^^ it probably is a bit much but with the money these guys are throwing around...$120 mil for joe johnson reportedly from atl has been offered and rudy gay getting $82 mil over 5 years from memphis although that money in the grand scheme of things isn't all that bad...if it was $120 mil it would be terrible... i could see a 2 yr $20 mil or more deal for ray allen...

ha ha reports that the magic are trying desperately to rid themselves of vince carter in a sign and trade to get out of that $17 mil per year...

also reports that paul pierce is negotiating exclusively with the celtics and that a 3 year deal is likely...oh well i hope its not more than $45 mil over 3 years and no more than 3 years total...

and kendrick perkins has a confirmed torn acl as well...may be dicey that he even plays next season...that sucks

that and developing a more back to the basket post game where he can take advantage of his size etc in the post...if those 2 things ever do come in WATCH OUT

thing is if he signs with ny he will prolly never do that in that kind of offense. theyd prolly make him the primary ball handler, and hed be a scoring magic johnson. that could be equally lethal though. can you imagine him playing pg in that offense? my god he would be unbelievable, and would make everyone else instantly better with his passing ability.

^^^ it probably is a bit much but with the money these guys are throwing around...$120 mil for joe johnson reportedly from atl has been offered and rudy gay getting $82 mil over 5 years from memphis although that money in the grand scheme of things isn't all that bad...if it was $120 mil it would be terrible... i could see a 2 yr $20 mil or more deal for ray allen...

ha ha reports that the magic are trying desperately to rid themselves of vince carter in a sign and trade to get out of that $17 mil per year...

also reports that paul pierce is negotiating exclusively with the celtics and that a 3 year deal is likely...oh well i hope its not more than $45 mil over 3 years and no more than 3 years total...

and kendrick perkins has a confirmed torn acl as well...may be dicey that he even plays next season...that sucks

Unfortunate for Perkins. He'll be out most of the season, of not the whole season. All you can hope for is that it doesn't start a trend of nagging knee injuries like it does for a lot of bigs. I do agree a lot of money is being thrown around. Joe Johnson isn't worth a max deal. Neither is Rudy Gay. It's entirely possible someone gives Allen 2 yrs, $20 mil, with all the overpaying in the NBA as of late but he's only worth about $5 mill a year at best imo.

Again, it's not about willingness to share the ball; it's about complimentary games. Bosh shoots the mid-range J very well and moves well without the ball. Hence, he would work well with Wade or James. Not a dumb argument at all, when you know the game.

Show me these complementary games that are so necessary. Kobe playing off Gasol? Parker off Duncan? Wade with Shaq? Kobe with Shaq? Gasol is assisted on a made shot on average .8 times per game from Kobe. Kobe even less from Gasol. Wade and Shaq never meshed on the court.....the dynamic pick and role never materialized and they were two individuals playing their own game. But opposing coaches weren't telling their primary on ball defender to sag off from Wade because he could hit the jumper when the ball went into Shaq. Each player commanded a double team with the ball in their hands and each a constantly attentive defender off the ball.

If you really did watch the Olympics you would have seen James excel playing off the ball, often times with Wade acting as the point and initiating the offense. You don't need to be a great spot up shooter to benefit from player penetrating and drawing the double team. Now if you run the most unimaginative offense like the Heat or Cavs have done for the past three years where everyone stands around in their pre-defined area and waits for the superstar to break down the defense then yes, maybe you do. But one must believe that bringing in James to play with Wade would cause the SF position in the Riley offense to be altered a bit.....somehow I doubt Lebron is going to be content sitting in the far corner waiting for the pass.

The NBA has never seen two such talents together on the court outside of all star games and international competitions. Even in the absolute worst case, such as with Shaq and Kobe, the pairing two transcendent talents provides the fans with something worth watching.

4 year deal for pierce...ugh

we're gonna regret that 4th year at least...i would have rather paid rudy gay 5 years and $82 mil than pierce 4 years and $61 mil

Suns sign Warrick for 4 yrs 18 mil

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ys-stoudemiresuns070210

The money sure is flowing. I don't see how these owners will be able to continue this farcical assertion that they're losing huge amounts of money at the next CBA negotiations. Very average players are getting paid many millions.....just like always. It should at least take the Suns out of the running for Amare.

Back
Top Bottom