2012 NFL Draft Prospects | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2012 NFL Draft Prospects

- There was a buzz after the South squad wrapped up practice yesterday afternoon because of the speed, tempo and hitting on the field. The LBs looked more athletic, DBs were competing in one-on-ones and inside run drill was a physical session. There was a noticeable difference between the two practice sessions on Tuesday.

- During one-on-one pass rush, both Alabama DE/ OLB Courtney Upshaw and UNC DE Quinton Coples stood out. With Upshaw, there is enormous power to his game but he also demonstrated the ability to use his hands (and multiple moves) to win. With Coples, we are looking at a legit edge rusher. Speed to turn the corner and athletic ability that isn’t matched by anyone on the field for his size (6-6, 281).

- Michigan State QB Kirk Cousins stands out on the North roster because of this arm strength compared to Boise State’s Kellen Moore and Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson. And talking with scouts, his stock may start to rise.

- This isn’t a strong WR class down here in Mobile, but what about Texas A&M’s Jeff Fuller? The 6-4 WR did show some ability to separate from DBs, plus he can run the 3-step game and intermediate route tree. The question I have: will he be able to win vs. NFL DB aligned in a press-position?

- Loved seeing the DBs on the South squad get up to the line of scrimmage and play press-coverage. And the one CB that consistently competed was Dwight Bentley from Louisiana-Lafayette. Doesn’t have ideal size (5-10, 176), but was physical with his initial punch and also drove downhill on the ball when playing from an off-man position. Keep an eye on him throughout the draft process.

- I asked an NFL scout yesterday to give me one name that continued to show up on the North roster and he told me Appalachian State WR Brian Quick. He has size (6-3, 222), length and body control.

- I talked about Notre Dame SS Harrison Smith on Monday, but another safety to watch on the North roster is George Iloka from Bosie St. He is talll (6-3) for a middle of the field safety, displayed some range and took good angles to the ball on the skinny post/seam route. But with any free safety, we have to talk about coverage skills at the NFL level. Can he walk down over a slot, handle the TE on the 7 (corner) route, etc.?

- Oklahoma State QB Brandon Weeden throws a good ball. This was one of the questions I had leading up to this week because of the offensive system Okie State, however Weeden looked comfortable in the pocket and displayed nice touch on the deep ball.

- A better session for Oklahoma CB Jamell Fleming. He played with more confidence, challenged routes and brought a physical approach to his game in one-on-ones. From my perspective, he is the top CB on the North roster.

- Iowa WR Marvin McNutt was solid in one-on-ones and you could tell he was there to compete. To read more about it, check out the breakdown from the NFP’s Wes Bunting.

- LSU FS Brandon Taylor had the play of the day filling the alley and laying a clinic tape hit on RB Vick Ballard in the open field. Not surprising after watching the tackling technique from that LSU secondary all season.
[video=youtube;7DGhNG9__Rs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7DGhNG9__Rs[/video]

Being a Gators fan as long as I have been a Phin fan(37yrs.), I can say that Rainey might be good in the slot, but he is too herky jery in the back field. He does have speed, but he is not going to get physical more of a finesse player(pretty obivious with him being only 178lbs.). You do not want him in the back field.
Florida's Chris Rainey caught my eye throughout the South's practice — how could he not, considering his blazing speed? Rainey had great cuts on his routes in the running backs vs. linebackers drill and then lined up in the slot later on in 7-on-7 drills. Rainey also caught a long pass down the sideline, which was one of the longest plays of the day. Rainey could get some looks as a change-of-pace back, especially if he keeps having success as a receiver.
One of the more memorable plays from South practice was when Florida RB Chris Rainey, lined up at wide receiver, sprinted by North Florida CB Janoris Jenkins, his former Gators technique. "I know his technique, so I just beat him in the technique," Rainey said afterwards.

Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland spent almost 20 minutes talking to a small group of media members after practice. One of his more striking comments: "We need a quarterback that can get us over the hump." That was far from a vote of confidence in Matt Moore and confirms that Miami will look to make a big move this offseason to get a quarterback. I'll have more on Ireland's comments this evening.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/24/senior-bowl-notebook-tuesday-2
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=nfp-20120125_notes_from_mobile

Last edited by a moderator:
hot damn...ireland dropped a "we need a qb to get us over the hump" line at the senior bowl...so much for settling for matt moore...looks like we are gonna be active

We hit the zenith of practice week this morning with everyone around and the pads popping. Even though I had hoped to watch the skill guys more today I opened the session with drills by the defensive line and followed up focusing on a running game session.

I am having serious doubts about the potential of Marshall DE Vinny Curry. He bulked himself up to 265 pounds and certainly looks the part of a potential stud edge rusher, but it still doesn't look like it he has significantly improved his strength in handling blockers in the running game. On most running drills to his side he was pretty much engulfed and pushed away from the ball. He still uses his hands well and that helps him get past the offensive line when he does pass rush, however, he is just not very explosive. A year ago it looked like his best pro option might be as a stand up OLB in a 3-4 scheme, but at his current weight it does not appear as if he has enough quickness and speed to drop and move laterally from that slot.

On the other side of the line, it appears that Washington G/T Senio Kelemete is struggling to find a comfort zone in Mobile. For now, he's splitting his snaps in Mobile between OT and OG. He has decent strength for his current size (6-3.5, 300), but just hasn’t shown the light feet to stay with quicker edge rushers on the North side so it appears he may be destined to move inside for a zone blocking team. Kelemete also seems to be using his hands to grab the defensive lineman he’s trying to block much like Mike Iupati did here here a couple of years ago. He's not holding every play, but enough that once the refs see that in his game the flags will start to fly even when it's questionable.

At the same time, Penn State OG Johnnie Troutman looks to be a better football player than most gave him credit for coming into the Senior Bowl. He's likely not going to be a star at the next level, but will certainly carry a draftable grade if he runs a decent 40 time at the combine next month. Troutman can be instant and doesn’t appear to be all that athletic, but he is a battler with a solid base and quick enough who can also get to the second level after delivering a stout chip block. Plus, he has he size (6-4, 325) to fit in with a power running team like the Chargers or Ravens.

Other than the fact that the defense continues to be way ahead of the offense, the story at the North practices continues to be just how many problems they are still having with snaps. Several dribbled back to the QB and several others went sailing over everyone’s head. And Russell Wilson also dropped several balls just trying to take the snap from under center; he also experienced some hand-off issues with the backs, while both Kellen Moore and Kirk Cousins had their own ball security issues.

Of the three North QBs, though, Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins probably threw the most accurately this morning, but he still had a tendency to stare down his intended receiver. Cousins also showed the mobility to move the pocket with moderate quickness, but has a tendency to really lean forward into his throws when on the run which resulted in a number of low uncatchable balls. Bottom line is that like Ricky Stanzi last year, Cousins may be too deliberate for the speed of the NFL game. He takes a half second long to decide where to throw and his ball seems to hang a bit on passes over 10 yards, although he may be able to overcome some of these shortcomings and buy himself time to improve his game, because NFL coaches are going to love his leadership, experience and intelligence.

North Carolina State WR T.J. Graham continues to emerge with that speed of his. He looked absolutely explosive on a KO return and, in fact, hardly looked like he was even in top gear as he exploded past people. Smooth would be the key word in describing his running, whether it be with or without the ball. Even his teammates notice his speed and potential. Wisconsin LS Kyle Wojta, for example, specifically mentioned Graham when asked who, other than fellow Badgers, had caught his attention this week.

Notes: With the injuries at the C position, California (PA) C/G Rishaw Johnson was added to the North roster. Meanwhile, Boise State DE Shea McClellin, who lined up at DE yesterday was working as an OLB today; that appaers to be a better fit as McClellin only weighed in at 242 pounds this week. Same story for Cincinnati DT Derek Wolfe, who weighed in at only 286 pounds earlier, and was lined up at DE on most snaps. And Wolfe didn't look out of place at all on the outside where he showed a nice combination of quickness, agility and strength as h disrupted a number of plays and was impressive in the one-on-one drills.
Senior Bowl notebook: Wednesday
North practice observations from associate editor Kevin Fishbain:Michigan State QB Kirk Cousins continued to impress. I thought he looked better on Wednesday than Tuesday on his throws. He also showed a little mobility when the pocket collapsed and he had to get outside and decided to take off.

Wisconsin's Russell Wilson made a real nice throw on the run. With a defender coming at him, Wilson threw a strike to Ohio State WR Devier Posey. Wilson said after the practice that one of the things he is working on this week is his feet, though he maintained that he has no problem staying in the pocket, despite his lack of height, to make the throws. He also made a nice throw running to his left.

• During the offensive line drills, it was impossible to ignore that Ohio State OT Mike Adams is clearly the biggest tackle on the North squad and he showed well. Washington OL Senio Kelemete received lots of praise from the coach for his work in the drill and his ability to finish the play.

• A pair of running backs stood out running routes — Cincinnati's Isaiah Pead and Ohio State's Dan Herron. Both backs made crisp routes against the North's linebackers and defensive backs. Boise State RB Doug Martin again showed a great burst, htiting the holes hard.

Connecticut DL Kendall Reyes made a nice inside move to record a tackle for loss, blowing up a running play in the 11-on-11 drills.

• I spoke with both Boise State S George Iloka and Penn State DB D'Anton Lynn after practice. In this new era of explosive tight ends, both have the size teams want at safety to counter it and discussed how their physical play will help in covering the Rob Gronkowskis and Jimmy Grahams of the NFL.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/25/senior-bowl-notebook-wednesday-2
http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm

[h=3]Senior Bowl Day 3 Breakdown - ESPN Video - ESPN[/h][video]http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4864328[/video]

Wednesday afternoon practice (South) ...
Mike Shanahan wasn’t kidding last night when he promised that we would see more one-on-one match-ups between DE Quentin Coples and G/T Cordy Glenn, the two best players on the South team. True to his word, the two ended up facing each other on the first four snaps of the 11-on-11 session, while they also went head-to-head on a number of occasions in the one-on-one pass blocking drills. And while each had their moments, the overall decision goes to Glenn who was probably the best player on the field today. Glenn, who lined up primarily at OG the first couple of days at practice, played almost exclusively at LT today and stoned just about every DE he faced including Mel Ingram and Courtney Upshaw on more than one snap. And Glenn put the coup de grace on his performance late in the 11-on-11 session when the offense ran a sweep around his side. Glenn pulled around the TE, raced down field - guys that big are only supposed to lumber in space - and delivered a crunching block on a poor overmatched safety.

In fact, the South offensive line generally had a better day today against the defense than earlier in the week. One guy who has quietly started to generate some buzz is Illinois’ Jeff Allen, a late add to the game, who moved inside to OG today where he showed an excellent base, decent strength and feet, as well as a pretty good motor.

Like their counterparts on the North team, the South QBs struggled at times today, but they still appear to be far ahead of their Northern counterparts. The play was very uneven overall with nice throws being followed by picks, or badly overthrown balls. Right now, it looks like based on their ability to go to an NFL team and compete for a starting job, the pecking order for the three South QBs would be: 1) Brandon Weeden; 2) Nick Foles and 3) Ryan Lindley. And when one takes into account the fact that Weeden is already an older prospect at age 27, one can see that personnel people around the league are not all that excited about getting much help from the senior class in the immediate future at the league's most important position.

Weeden generally can make all the plays, reads the field well and has a reasonably compact delivery, but really doesn’t get a lot of mustard on his passes. Meanwhile, Lindley really struggled today. Indeed, he wasn’t even all that accurate throwing the ball with no DBs in play, badly overthrew a couple of passes in the 11-on-11 session and fumbled a snap.

One of the most impressive players on the South squad has been Georgia CB Brandon Boykin, who like his former teammate Cordy Glenn has probably earned himself some money this week. Boykin is a tad smallish at 5-9, 183, but otherwise can do it all. He is quick and fast, bordering on explosive when moving to the ball. He's also not afraid to be physical with receivers who are bigger than him. He may also contribute with some explosive return work come game day. And at UGA he even played some WR and ran some reverses.

No player in Mobile has drawn such a wide diversity of grades as Texas A&M WR Jeff Fuller. And while some people are down on Fuller, because he is not a blazer and has to be used in certain receiving situations to be successful, I like his 6-4, 217 pound frame which gives him a noticeable advantage over most of the CB s here in certain situations. If he can run sideline patterns he locates he ball pretty well and does a nice job elevating for the ball in the red zone. Plus, I think he can do even more if an NFL WR coach can teach him how to use his hands a bit to gain separation. From what I saw today he never pushes off the defender, they push him. When he learns to hand fight back without drawing interference calls his reception totals could really rise. I still think he could make a nice weapon for the right team in the latter part of the second day.

Another player who has drawn a range of comments is LSU TE DeAngelo Peterson. He showed up in Mobile at an un-TE 6-3 and 230 pounds after being listed at 245 at LSU. Peterson has shown some receiving skills as has run well, gets open and catches everything thrown at him. Indeed, Peterson has probably displayed the best hands on the South. The question, though, is where does that package fit in the NFL where he is neither a prototype TE or slot receiver. In fact, he reminds me of former Pittsburgh TE Dorin Dickerson, a similar sized player who had a great Senior Bowl week several years ago but never amounted to much once he got to the NFL.
Read more on the North's Wednesday practice-Part Deux:
http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlreport.htm

Todd McShay on Brandon Weeden, Janoris Jenkins and Dwight Bentley:

[video=youtube;YVx875KRkfU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVx875KRkfU[/video]

Stock Watch from Todd McShay:

[video=youtube;SvjJGaion8w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvjJGaion8w[/video]

Luke Kuechely looks like a taller version of Zach Thomas. If we switch to 4-3 him on the inside with burnett and dansby on the outside. i got a bulge!!!

Luke Kuechely looks like a taller version of Zach Thomas. If we switch to 4-3 him on the inside with burnett and dansby on the outside. i got a bulge!!!
Draft Courtney Upshaw to play DE opposite Wake and that is a defense that could bring Hell to the rest of the league.:up:

• That's a wrap.... Practices have wrapped up in Mobile prior to Saturday's actual Senior Bowl game. In fact, most scouts cleared town after Wednesday's full-pads workout as the remaining practice sessions are mostly glorified walk-throughs with some special teams work thrown in in preparation for the game. As well, NFL teams put far more emphasis on what happens on the practice field as opposed to the actual game. And just as well perhaps because it poured in Mobile on Thursday forcing what workouts that were held indoors.

It is also important not to put too much emphasis on what happens at the Senior Bowl. With underclassmen not eligible to attend and several of the top-rated seniors passing on the event, only a fraction of the top prospects for the 2012 draft are actually in Mobile this week. Indeed, only one of the players rated in the top 10 in the latest 'GBN 'Big Board' for example was at this year's Senior Bowl, as were just 12 of the top-rated 40 prospects for the 2012 draft.
As well, at least in broad statistical terms, what happens in Mobile is in fact a very small sample. When all is said and done, the players are really on the field for a only a total of 3-4 hours and will only be involved in a limited number of plays at speed with real contact. It is also perhaps just as important to keep in mind that the ultimate goal of pro scouts is to try and project how well a player will perform in the NFL in 2-3 years rather than whether he necessarily makes a play today. As a result, pro teams are often as interested in the intangibles such as how coachable the players appear to be and how they relate to their teammates as much as how well they actually perform on the field.

It is also worth noting that the all-star game setting have a number of limitations for particular positions. QBs, for example, are asked work with unfamiliar receivers in often unfamiliar schemes which are designed to test as much their ability to learn and adapt rather than their actual passing skills. Same story for RBs who will never get enough touches in an all-star week to get into any kind of rhythm, as well as LBs and safeties, who area almost by definition limited by the lack of overall hitting in an all-star game. In contrast, all-star settings are probably better suited to evaluating positions such as offensive and defensive linemen. The one-on-one pass rush drills, for example, can provide some pretty useful data about offensive and defensive linemen, although even that drill can be misleading because the pass rushers tend to have more space to operate than they normally would in full-line situation.

The bottom line is that the Senior Bowl is a useful part of the pre-draft process, but certainly not as important as the combine. Its also not as important as the regular season tape evaluation. Indeed, few NFL teams will dramatically alter their grades on specific players based on what they see at the all-star games including the Senior Bowl. Instead, what most teams will head back to the game tapes when a player either exceeds expectations, or disappoints, at the Senior Bowl to check for what they may have missed.
All that said, here's our list of the Top 25 players down here this week, although the order is more subjective than scientific.

1) DE QUINTON COPLES, NORTH CAROLINA dominated all week defending the run or pass
2) G/T CORDY GLENN, GEORGIA did things a guy his size shouldn't be able to
3) DE COURTNEY UPSHAW, ALABAMA says he will be at LB at combine but more than held his own at DE
4) CB BRANDON BOYKIN, GEORGIA a bit small but is fast, feisty play maker
5) OLB ZACH BROWN, NORTH CAROLINA the best pure 3-down LB in the country
6) RB DOUG MARTIN, BOISE STATE strong, quick and explosive with a great attitude
7) OT MIKE ADAMS, OHIO STATE you can't coach size plus he has athleticism to boot
8) FS ANTONIO ALLEN, SOUTH CAROLINA still learning the position but hits a ton and finds the ball
9) LB AUDIE COLE, NORTH CAROLINA STATE working on the Matthews and makes plays all over the field
10) CB JANORIS JENKINS, NORTH ALABAMA not a great cover-corner, but battles, has a nose for the ball and hits a ton for his size)
11) G/T KELECHI OSEMELE, IOWA STATE moved his feet well enough to stay at RT with his long arms
12) WR JURON CRINER, ARIZONA has questionable speed, but he gets open and catches everything
13) DE MELVIN INGRAM, SOUTH CAROLINA great athlete in a slightly undersized body, may be just a pass-rush specialist
14) WR T.J. GRAHAM, NORTH CAROLINA STATE former track guy with soft hands and great speed, but is still learning the position
15) DT KENDALL REYES, UCONN versatile inside player who chased the ball and gave blockers fits
16) RB VICK BALLARD, MISSISSIPPI STATE can do a little of everything and is explosive through creases
17) G/T JEFF ALLEN, ILLINOIS lots of talk he'd be best inside, but was good outside too
18) OLB KEENAN ROBINSON, TEXAS always around the ball and doesn't make many mistakes
19) SS GEORGE ILOKA, BOISE STATE tall safety who needs work on coverage, but has a nose for the ball and will hit
20) MLB JAMES-MICHAEL JOHNSON, NEVADA Singletary looked like he was coaching a young clone of himself
21) OT MATT McCANTS, UAB raw football talent who already holds his own and has great upside
22) QB BRANDON WEEDEN, OKLAHOMA STATE made all the throws and would be flirting with first round if younger
23) WR DEVIER POSEY, OHIO STATE got high praise from coaches for effort and consistency
24) WR JOE ADAMS, ARKANSAS still runs sloppy patterns and drops balls at times, but has the breakaway speed you can't coach
25) TE DEANGELO PETERSON, LSU athletic receiver was open all week and showed nice hands, but may have to find a niche at the next level

And a few honorable mentions: RB Lennon Creer of Louisiana Tech; WR Marvin Jones of California, Florida RB/WR Chris Rainey, Penn State OG Johnnie Troutman, Louisiana-Lafayete CB Bill Bentley, Troy G/T James Brown, Florida DT Jaye Howard, and UMass FB Emil Igwenagu.

On the other hand, guys who likely didn't do a whole to help their draft stock this week included QBs Ryan Lindley of San Diego State and Boise State's Kellen Moore; RBs Chris Polk of Washington and Baylor's Terrance Ganaway; WR Dwight Jones of North Carolina; DEs Billy Winn of Boise State and Marshall's Vinny Curry; and Washington DT Alameda Ta'amu.
http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlwrap.html

‘Noles OT opts to enter draft … Florida State OT Andrew Datko has reportedly given up on trying to get another year of eligibility through a medical redshirt and will enter the 2012 draft. Datko had been considered one of the top LT prospects in the country entering the past season, but end up playing in just 4 games this year because of a shoulder injury. In fact, the 6-5, 320-pound Datko had started 40 games at LT for the Seminoles prior to being injured and was rated ahead of teammate Zebrie Sanders who is now considered to be one of the top 5-6 OTs in the upcoming draft. However, Datko still has a chance to be a second day pick this coming April if he checks out medically at next month‘s combine.
http://www.gbnreport.com/

That’s a wrap, Part deux … The Senior Bowl is now formally in the books and while NFL teams tend to put more emphasis on hat happens at practice in Mobile rather than the game itself, there’s still plenty to learn from what transpired on Saturday. Here’s our scouting staff’s evaluation of the winners and losers at least from a draft perspective from this year’s game. And we would be remiss in not once again thanking Paul Guillamette, editor of Paul’s Pigskin Place for his reports from both this year’s Shrine and senior Bowls.
http://www.gbnreport.com/

In no particular order, the following players pprobably helped themselves with their performances in Saturday's game.

• North Carolina DE Quinton Coples: The top-ranked player in Mobile built on a dominant week of practice with a solid performance in the game. Came off the snap with authority, used his long arms and upper-body strength to consistently knock blockers off balance and showed nice closing speed; also went hard all afternoon and was just as effective stopping the run as rushing the passer. Only knock may have been that Coples was a little over aggressive at times and tended to run himself out of plays on occasion.
  • Marshall DE Vinny Curry: After a somewhat inconsistent week of practice, Curry was a pain in the butt for the South offensive line most of the afternoon as he showed an explosive get-off at the snap, kept his pads low and his feet active and was very disruptive when he got leverage and finished the day with a couple of sacks and a couple more hurries, although he still needs to develop some secondary pass-rush moves and appeared to give up on a few plays if he didn‘t get early penetration.
  • Arizona WR Juron Criner: Probably lacks the real deep speed NFL teams covet, but ran nice routes, showed the ability to find the soft spots in coverage and used his big body very effectively to screen DBs away from the ball. Did have one pass go through his hands, but snatched everything else coming his way.
  • Arkansas WR Joe Adams: Didn’t run the most polished routes, but was incredibly quick and elusive after the catch; indeed, made almost Houdini-like escapes from a couple of would-be tacklers and raced for big gainers.
  • Ohio State OT Mike Adams: Got caught reaching too often during the week of practice, but was textbook solid during the game; was very quick setting up, used his length to cut off the edge and was able to re-anchor against cut-back moves.
  • Cincinnati RB Isaiah Pead: Created some buzz for himself with a couple of explosive punt returns; also had a couple more dynamic runs as he accelerated through the hole and broke tackles on the way up field; tended to be indecisive, though, when he couldn’t find a seam and also had a couple of minus runs.
  • Boise State RB Doug Martin: Only carried the ball four times, but showed good vision, a nice burst, and the power to make yards after contact; got bonus points for a nice KO return and chipped in a nice block downfield to spring Gerell Robinson free for a 41-yard TD.
  • Mississippi State RB Vick Ballard: Isn’t going to break many big plays, but consistently showed good patience and vision finding a crease, kept his pads low and square and ran with power.
  • Utah State LB Bobby Wagner: Made two athletic plays when the ball was in the air getting off the ground to make a pick and then leaping to deflect a pass in the red zone that had TD written all over it; also showed some toughness inside as he did a nice job shedding blockers, finding the ball and wrapping up runners; in the end led all tacklers with 7 stops including one for loss.
  • Vanderbilt CB Casey Hayward: Saturday’s game was not a great show case for the defensive backs few of whom had good days. The one exception was Vandy’s Hayward who was sticky in coverage all afternoon as he did a nice job reading and anticipating routes and consistently broke well on the ball and was rewarded with a pick in the end zone; may have even fooled the referees as he was called for two pass interference penalties, but both looked like just great coverage.
  • Michigan DT Mike Martin: Was just a tough guy to block inside as he played low and was always moving and spinning.
  • Washington DT Alameda Ta’amu. The jury is still out as to whether this guy can generate a consistent pass rush at the next level, but Saturday he was getting into gaps and powering up field; also showed a nice motor and ran down a couple of plays and made a nice read to blow up a screen pass.
  • Illinois G/T Jeff Allen: Late addition to the roster (which partially explains the geographic issue of how Illinois ended up in the south), but opened some eyes once he arrived in Mobile and was very consistent in the game. Played with a solid base, moved his feet and showed a nice ability to change direction and re-anchor.
  • Wisconsin OG Kevin Zeitler appeared to struggle at times earlier in the week, but had a solid game as he was very light on his feet, displayed a solid base and was technically sound getting good arm extension as he spent the afternoon mirroring frustrated South DTs at the line of scrimmage.
  • Tennessee DE Malik Jackson: Another late game addition who really took advantage of the opportunity; Jackson showed a quick first step, an effective punch and a nice swim move. That fact that he could both bull-rush as well as force his away around people had opposing OTs really off-balance and unsure of what was coming.<>
  • <>Alabama TE Brad Smelley: Doesn’t impress physically and isn’t a dominating drive blocker, but was effective all afternoon sealing defenders off from the ball. Played hard to the whistle. Also made a nice catch of an under thrown ball.
Honorable mentions: Florida State OT Zebrie Sanders also had a pretty good game; he really fired out drive blocking and was reasonably smooth moving around the pocket, but was a little choppy setting up and didn’t always absorb initial contact all that well and struggled at times to re-anchor… There was a lot to like about Baylor C/G Philip Blake all week and in the game showed some quick feet and gets off the snap with authority, but needs to sustain blocks a little longer. Meanwhile, Alabama C William Vlachos is anything but pretty, but plays with a very solid base and will battle… Penn State OG Johnnie Troutman showed some nice athleticism when asked to pull and delivered a couple of solid pops in space, but was a little overaggressive at times and bounced off blocks… California OT Mitchell Schwartz didn’t look to be all that athletic, but was a technically sound wide-body who generally did a nice job keeping the South DEs off his QB, although he did let a couple of defenders get into his pads and knock him off balance … FBs Brady Ewing of Wisconsin and UMass’ Emil Igwenagu did what FBs are supposed to do: block with authority and catch the ball when it comes there way… Florida State OLB Nigel Bradham who showed plenty of lateral range and closing speed in space and did a nice job using his arms to shed blockers, but wasn’t quite as physical at the point of attack as NFL teams would probably like. Texas OLB Keenan Robinson was also effective getting off blocks and showed good speed tracking the ball… Clemson DT Brandon Thompson was very active and disruptive as he showed good quickness for a 300-pounder.

Maybe shoudda stood in bed! It was a tough day all around for the CBs in this year’s Senior Bowl, but the guy who got picked on the most was Donnie Fletcher of Boston College, who gave up a number of completions as he conceded way too much cushion and then was slow to react when the ball was in the air; to boot, Fletcher was victimized twice when he whiffed on Joe Adams after the catch… Texas MLB Emanual Acho struggled to find the ball and had a tendency to run around, or even retreat from blockers… North OTs Keleche Osemele of Iowa State and Washington’s Senio Kelemete both looked like fish out of water trying to handle the South’s quick edge rushers as neither showed much in the way of agility, balance or the ability to change direction and re-anchor… Cs Mike Brewster of Ohio State and Georgia’s Ben Jones both struggled to hold the point of attack as they tended to get stood up at first contact and lose any momentum or leverage, although Brewster did a better job sliding around the pocket helping out on double teams. Meanwhile, LSU OG Will Blackwell moved well enough when asked to pull, but wasn’t able to deliver much of a pop at the point of attack. Troy G/T James Brown also struggled to keep opposing DTs off his pads and was knocked off balance too often. Same story for UAB OT Matt McCants, who actually got pretty good arm extension and did a decent job cutting off the edge, but looks to be a little top heavy and was knocked off balance by aggressive bull-rushers and didn’t re-anchor or change direction all that well… Ohio State WR DeVier Posey had one very nice reception off a crossing pattern, but outright dropped a sure TD at the goal line and gave up on another route in the end zone that resulted in a pick… Penn State DE Jack Crawford is a try-hard guy who covered a lot of ground when unblocked, still hasn’t gotten off a block. Same story for Boise State DE Billy Winn who appeared to be overmatched during the game as he was pretty much al week at practice.

Need to see more of: While UNC’s Coples lived up to the hype during the Senior Bowl game, Courtney Upshaw of Alabama and South Carolina’s Melvin Ingram, the South team’s other star DEs weren’t as disruptive on game day. Upshaw did have a sack, but it was more of the 'excuse me' type as he ran into the QB while being forced well wide of the pocket. Upshaw did flash some speed in space, but tended to pop up off the snap to find the ball before taking off; he also appeared to be a little out of control at times and overran a couple of plays. Meanwhile, Ingram showed some nice spin moves and good lateral range, but was never really able to beat his blocker cleanly; also like Upshaw he also appeared a tad hesitant at times coming off the snap. At the same time, Virginia DE Cam Johnson showed a quick first step off the snap, but lacked the upper body strength to maintain leverage... Interesting day for OT Cordy Glenn of Georgia, another potential first rounder this coming April, who didn’t really flash during the game, but did k a pretty good case that he can play OT at the next level; Glenn was a technically solid, wide-body guy who got good arm extension working at LT, but looked off balance and reaching at times; Glenn also played some OG where he did some mauling inside, but wasn’t as effective pulling as he didn’t really explode into blocks on the move... Oklahoma CB Jamell Fletcher forced a fumble and picked off a duck, but otherwise was very loose in coverage. It also wasn’t a very good day for North Alabama CB Janoris Jenkins of North Alabama, who made a couple of aggressive tackles in run support, but was out-muscled in the corner of the end zone for a TD and, as he had been during the week, was beaten badly when he bit on a couple of pump-and-gos. In fact, as noted, it was a tough day all around for the corners in Mobile on Saturday, however, it should be noted that defenses were limited to using Cover 1 and 3 schemes, while press coverage, which most of these guys excel at, was against the rules… At the same time, South Carolina FS Antonio Allen showed good range and aggressiveness in run support - he tied with New Mexico State’s Wagner with a game-high 7 tackles - but took a couple of bad angles on crossing routes and appeared to actually play a little too fast at times and wasn’t always under control when he arrived at the ball… Texas A&M WR Jeff Fuller, who was probably the runaway winner of this year’s ‘most enigmatic player’ at the Senior Bowl, appeared to be open all day and showed great hands snatching a couple of darts, but then lost concentration and outright dropped what would have been a big gainer down the sideline… North Carolina OLB Zach Brown was pretty much as advertised on Saturday showing plenty of speed and range in space as he pretty much stayed with a couple of wideouts in coverage and broke up a screen with a nice read and great close. At the same time, though, Brown was seldom around the ball between the tackles, overran a tackle in the open field and gave up a big pass play to a FB when he failed to find the ball in the air... While speedsters Joe Adams and Isaiah Pead made big plays with their speed and acceleration, Florida RB/WR Chris Rainey, a true world-class sprinter, didn't appear to play all that fast and probably didn't help his case at receiver when he short-armed one throw in his direction.

Mediocre was the word heard most often when describing this year’s Senior Bowl QBs at practice last week and mediocre probably also best describes their game-day performance. Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden appeared to be sharp early on as he completed 5 of his first 7 passes on his first two drives, but the second ended when he was picked off after getting hit in the back while releasing the ball. Weeden didn’t play again for over three quarters and his only other pass - a real wounded duck - was also intercepted. In particular, Weeden looked very confident, appeared to read the field well and had a smooth compact delivery, but maybe had a tendency to guide passes to his receivers rather than really zipping the ball. Meanwhile, Arizona’s Nick Foles put up impressive numbers as he completed 11 of 15 passes. In fact, Foles threw the ball very well when h had a clean pocket and room to step, but his accuracy dropped off when there was a hint of pressure. Michigan State’s Kirk Cousins and Ryan Lindley of San Diego also got some zip on their passes, but weren’t always that confident where they were going. For his part, Wisconsin’s Russell Wilson was very effective both running and passing when he got to the edge, but struggled trying to throw out of the pocket, while as usual Boise State’s Kellen Moore got rid of the ball quickly and was very accurate when he had time to wind up, but didn’t have a chance when forced to throw under pressure.
http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlgamereport.htm

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/scouting_department.htmlNFL Draft: All-Star game risers

Cousins9143-1.jpg
ICONCousins helped his stock in Mobile.
QB Kirk Cousins: Michigan State (6-3, 205)
I’m not a huge Cousins fan. However, he showcased the ability to spin the football cleanly all week in Mobile, displayed good touch down the field and look poised from under center in a pro style offense. He still seems to get rattled too easily in the pocket vs. any type of pressure, but did a lot of help his stock in the eyes of some last week.

CB Josh Norman: Coastal Carolina (6-0, 190)

Norman was brilliant at the East-West Shrine game, showcasing the ability to consistently click and close in off man, and make plays on the football. He’s a long, well-built athlete with good length, “plus” athleticism and a great feel for the game. There are some off the field character concerns, but the guy gave up little in the form of separation all week long and looks like an NFL starter.

QB B.J Coleman: Tennessee-Chattanooga (6-4, 220)
He’s a big, strapping quarterback with a “plus” arm and when he maintains balance into his throw the guy can really put the football on the numbers. He’s a good athlete for his size as well and looks natural on the move. However, becoming more consistent gathering himself from under center is a must, as he will struggle with his footing at times, which ultimately effects his accuracy.

TE Chase Ford: Miami (6-6, 245)
He’s a little goofy as an athlete and doesn't generate a ton of burst out of his breaks. However, he’s a big kid with a lot of growth potential and knows how to set up routes underneath. Plus, the guy is comfortable playing with a defender in his back pocket and showcases natural length and coordination when asked to adjust and go get the football. He caught the ball well all week at the East-West Shrine game and looks like a prospect I would certainly be willing to role the dice on later in the draft.
Read entire article:http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFL-Draft-AllStar-game-risers.html

Back
Top Bottom