2017 Kiko Alonso thread. | Page 9 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 Kiko Alonso thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, Alonso is the Will because that's the best fit for him in our D. Its not masking it when youre playing him at his best position. Whether that's good or bad on absolute terms is another discussion.

The coaches have chosen McMillon as MLB, Hull was simply next man up. Inadequate next but still next. Hull doesnt give you anything as a Will and Hewitt was hurt all pre-season. No brainer to leave Alonso at Will in that scenario IMO and use the back-up MLB to be a two- down player.

For the sake of the argument, Ill agree that Hull is a better run defender at MLB than Alonso. Coverage-wise it isn't close who's better.

They are both a liability. Alonso has more athleticism, but his poor awareness in coverage offsets that advantage.

Would be interesting to see the whole picture, not just a fraction of it as well as down and distance.

I'll gladly do that soon. I'll post a video clip. But out of curiosity what do you think you're missing out on there? The still shot clearly shows what is being pointed out.

D&D was 1&10. First play of the 3rd qtr.

It's Cover 3 Sling and the pass is to the HB on a swing route. This is the first missed tackle attempt I have recorded and it's on Hull, but Alonso completely removes himself from the play after Gordon cuts inside. Alonso must be the inside help as an underneath defender, but . . . well . . . I don't know WTF he's doing. And again, he passes off the TE to no one and puts himself about 15 yards out of position by play's end.

Last edited:
It's Cover 3 and the pass is to the HB on a swing route. This is the first missed tackle attempt I have recorded and it's on Hull, but Alonso completely removes himself from the play after Gordon cuts inside. Alonso must be the inside help as an underneath defender, but . . . well . . . I don't know WTF he's doing. And again, he passes off the TE to no one and puts himself about 15 yards out of position by play's end.

Looks like Alonso is on the TE but gives hin some cushion. That said, he's late to realize the pass has been thrown to the RB imo

Looks like Alonso is on the TE but gives hin some cushion. That said, he's late to realize the pass has been thrown to the RB imo

Alonso's responsibility there is to cut and carry all under and drag routes from the backside, not give him cushion though. That only happens b/c of poor awareness. And yes, he's slow to react to the pass as well. Hull missed a tackle in space and gave up the initial yardage, but Alonso was responsible for the bulk of the gain and the first down.

Last edited:
That's a clear isolation call to get the mike on Ingram. And the mike can't match the space redirect of the back. The defensive tackle has to rally back and make the tackle cause the mikes feet are in quick sand.

Rivers can't pitch it out there quick enough it's such easy pickins

The liability in the defense in goalline short yardage nickel and man coverage. On repeat

Alonso's responsibility there is to cut and carry all under and drag routes from the backside, not give him cushion though. That only happens b/c of poor awareness. And yes, he slow to react to the pass as well. Hull missed a tackle in space and gave up the initial yardage, but Alonso was responsible for the bulk of the gain and the first down.

Yeah thats an ugly play. Wouldnt have prevented a first down to the TE either

That's a clear isolation call to get the mike on Ingram. And the mike can't match the space redirect of the back. The defensive tackle has to rally back and make the tackle cause the mikes feet are in quick sand.

Rivers can't pitch it out there quick enough it's such easy pickins

The liability in the defense in goalline short yardage nickel and man coverage. On repeat

And where the **** is the WIll? I'm not giving Hull a pass there one bit, but Alonso is MIA. You conveniently keep overlooking his hideousness to point out the Mike play.

There's not been one person yet that has stated Hull is a solid 3 down backer, myself included, but your denial of Alonso's mishaps is laughable. Both are liabilities in pass coverage.

Last edited:
You just keep skipping over the root causes here and what the opposition is trying to exploit to maintain sticks or get back to them.

I'm not sure why other than while I think you had some very good strengths situational analysis is not one of them.

See the game the way a coordinator does. That's how I try to look at it. Where is my easy money. The down and distance and sticks and the impact they have on things are such massive parts of situational football and so many people struggle with that side of things.

The only thing that saved us fellas with that exploitable a target in space play was that we shut down the run. If they had a two way go we'd have stopped nothing.

You just keep skipping over the root causes here and what the opposition is trying to exploit to maintain sticks or get back to them.

I'm not sure why other than while I think you had some very good strengths situational analysis is not one of them.

See the game the way a coordinator does. That's how I try to look at it. Where is my easy money. The down and distance and sticks and the impact they have on things are such massive parts of situational football and so many people struggle with that side of things.

The only thing that saved us fellas with that exploitable a target in space play was that we shut down the run. If they had a two way go we'd have stopped nothing.

Please point out where I skipped over saying Hull is a liability as the Mike in Nickel and that he was being exploited. Meanwhile, I've got better **** to do than wait on the clarification of your false accusations.

Point remains, and very strong at that, is that Alonso - as a declared starter, not a backup - is just as much of a detriment. That's the topic of this thread and it's yet to be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom