2017 Kiko Alonso thread. | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

2017 Kiko Alonso thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I being highly critical? Absolutely. But it's nothing different than what a player would hear about from their coach on Tuesday's film review.

I'm just gonna say there's a lot of video of Zach Thomas getting blocked and in many cases overwhelmed by interior OL -- but still Zach made his plays and we all can agree he was standout player for many years.

And NO -- I'm not "comparing" Zach and Kiko. But let's keep it real and realize LBs don't make every play and at times are going to look "pretty bad" on tape. And beyond that -- the only grade that really matters is the grade the coaching staff assigns because (oh sorry, I am like 100% sure) they know a lot more than we do (in terms of reads, responsibilities, etc.)

Pertaining to this small video collection of Kiko -- it would certainly appear he was effectively blocked on a number of plays and seeming took some inferior angles etc. But hey -- the opposition is gonna make plays too -- and I don't think anyone here believes Kiko is some kind of dominator. No crap -- he's no Butkus or Lawrence Taylor LOL -- but I think he's at least a functional NFL LB.

And how many do we have? Like 2? LOL

My opinion. Of course.

I'm just gonna say there's a lot of video of Zach Thomas getting blocked and in many cases overwhelmed by interior OL -- but still Zach made his plays and we all can agree he was standout player for many years.

And NO -- I'm not "comparing" Zach and Kiko. But let's keep it real and realize LBs don't make every play and at times are going to look "pretty bad" on tape. And beyond that -- the only grade that really matters is the grade the coaching staff assigns because (oh sorry, I am like 100% sure) they know a lot more than we do (in terms of reads, responsibilities, etc.)

Pertaining to this small video collection of Kiko -- it would certainly appear he was effectively blocked on a number of plays and seeming took some inferior angles etc. But hey -- the opposition is gonna make plays too -- and I don't think anyone here believes Kiko is some kind of dominator. No crap -- he's no Butkus or Lawrence Taylor LOL -- but I think he's at least a functional NFL LB.

And how many do we have? Like 2? LOL

My opinion. Of course.

I agree and maybe if it would be useful if I put a little more context to the good, bad, and ugly snaps compared to the overall snaps he played. There are also a large number of plays where the he just wasn't involved in the overall play and they were left out. Rightfully so, b/c there is no point in posting a clip where he is in zone on one side of the field and there is a quick pass and tackle or incompletion on the other. But also notice I highlighted him for excellent press coverage on Gates which possibly lead to the Rivers going elsewhere with the ball b/c Gates was locked down. I promised not cherrypick plays and hopefully that was a clear example I am not doing so. I could have easily left that out and no one would have known otherwise.

Alonso played 58 defensive snap.
Good - 3
Bad - 6
Ugly - 3

I'm going to refute your last statement. Do the coaches know more overall? Sure. But having a deep understanding of the game, like many around here, I am very aware of proper alignments, proper technique, keys, reads, unit responsibilities/assignments, and positional responsibilities/assignments. If you have questions or are skeptical of any descriptions I provide (more than understandable) simply ask and/or point out your concern and I'll do my best to find factual information and/or resources that back up my breakdowns.

I enjoy these posts regardless of who they are about.

If you tackle your own guy does that count on your stats?

For the record, I don't hate Kiko though it's hard to fathom just how bad that position group has been for a while now.

I enjoy these posts regardless of who they are about.

If you tackle your own guy does that count on your stats?

For the record, I don't hate Kiko though it's hard to fathom just how bad that position group has been for a while now.

Thanks. Currently working on a thread that focuses on our defense as a whole. Hope to have it out soon . . . but don't hold me to that; tape study is tedious.

Thanks. Currently working on a thread that focuses on our defense as a whole. Hope to have it out soon . . . but don't hold me to that; tape study is tedious.
Well we appreciate it. It's obviously a lot of work. So thanks for doing it!

I wish I had that much free time. That's not a jab at all, I'm serious. I literally wish I had that much free time.

Take your time even if it takes years, We want an accurate report

LOL. It will be out in a few days but will be a season long thread (like this one) for each game breakdown of personnel, alignments, coverages used, and tendencies such as down and distance calls and blitz percentages and usages.

I wish I had that much free time. That's not a jab at all, I'm serious. I literally wish I had that much free time.
I have the time but I don't even know how to get those kinds of videos. You need to work from home like I do and you'll have more free time....lol

Ozzy rules!!

Thanks SoS for the informative thread. As I wrote last season, your threads on Kiko are interesting. I think most fans overrate him, but I think you underrate him.

I really wanted to see Kiko within a strong LB corps. While not as high on him as some, I still think he can be effective. I think he needs to be surrounded by guys that can handle the ugly LB work- stack and shed, create a pile, etc. Kiko provides splash plays by shooting gaps, gambling on routes, etc. This style of play also puts him out of position or prone to get washed out at times. But it does result in some turnovers, tackles in the backfield, etc. Not much of a splash in the SD game...

I really hoped that Timmons and McMillian were going to be able to give that level of play.

Although I've been critical of Kiko, I believe he is usually a hustle guy...if nothing else he tends to get in the picture in time to adjust his jersey over the pile. I don't recall you criticizing level of effort before. You see a trend or one off on the play you posted?

Thanks SoS for the informative thread. As I wrote last season, your threads on Kiko are interesting. I think most fans overrate him, but I think you underrate him.

I really wanted to see Kiko within a strong LB corps. While not as high on him as some, I still think he can be effective. I think he needs to be surrounded by guys that can handle the ugly LB work- stack and shed, create a pile, etc. Kiko provides splash plays by shooting gaps, gambling on routes, etc. This style of play also puts him out of position or prone to get washed out at times. But it does result in some turnovers, tackles in the backfield, etc. Not much of a splash in the SD game...

I really hoped that Timmons and McMillian were going to be able to give that level of play.

Although I've been critical of Kiko, I believe he is usually a hustle guy...if nothing else he tends to get in the picture in time to adjust his jersey over the pile. I don't recall you criticizing level of effort before. You see a trend or one off on the play you posted?

Agree here and it's why I don't think he is a good fit for our scheme. He needs to be in a 3-4, 4-3 Under type that features 2 gap DL that allows him to flow over the top more freely and not have to take blocks head on like is required on our defense.

For a poor guestimate, Alonso is probably 30/70 in a slack to hustle ratio when it comes to rallying to the ball. Most of the time he is there, but there are very apparant times when he just gives up when facing blocks and allows himslef to be pushed around and driven downfield.

Yes, preferably before giving him a new deal with almost $20m guaranteed...

Last edited:
Yes, before giving him a new deal with almost $20m guaranteed...

I felt then, and still do, that his extension was more about trying to create a "keep your own" culture of guys that FO and Gase like as the timing made little sense to me. Same with Branch. Think they were trying to send a message that if you come to Miami, be on time and play hard we'll take care of you.

Just my take, and not advocating it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom