8-8 Does Sparano 'deserve' to keep his job?????

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by normaniii, Dec 6, 2011.

1. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

I expect to beat the Eagles & the Bills, but we finish against the Pats & Jets. I was dead set against Sparano losing his job, but if we win all 4 I may change my mind.

What do you think??

2. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit A True Fan

He doesn't deserve **** but he will get another shot even if we go 4-12, I don't like him, he's a terrible coach, but what ever, I also can see the reality here. The reality is Ross is a ******* that should have fired him a long time ago. Now he really has handicapped this franchise and by not firing him, will continue to have years of mediocrity.

Our chance of getting Cowher or Gruden are gone now that Barkley nor Luck is possible without a miracle trade (that would probably involved multiple first round picks and Jake Long).

Sad part is that Ireland and Sparano is terrible enough to think Moore is a franchise QB and try to build around him... so they would pass up the opportunity to trade up for Barkley or pass up RGIII/Tannehill sheesh.. we're ****ed. Moore is a decent back up, he's no franchise QB.

Next year when we go 7-9 wasting another season of Bush's, Marshall's and our defensive talent, I want to see what the excuses will be this time around.

3. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

I think we don't need another thread on this just to put your own personal opinion in the spotlight.

4. Valandui

Valandui Lumberjack Batman Donator

Are you serious?

5. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

Ultimately, it's not up to any of us really. Ross will ultimately make that choice. Hopefully, he makes the right choice...the one that turns this ship around. Whether it be replacing Sparano, so be it. I just want this team to win again...a real leader that can get that done!

6. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

No. 3 of his 4 seasons they have started slow and put themselves in tough positions to overcome. 0-7 this year should not be forgotten because they may finish 8-8. There is still no playoffs.

Tony has done a nice job keeping them from imploding but he needs to be replaced.

7. Mrmiami

Mrmiami Starter

Should he keep his job?

Umm....NO, did we beat the Patriots?...The Jets? Could we rise up to beat the Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Saints, etc.... No! There was a time when the Dolphins use to beat the teams they weren't supposed to but those days are long gone and after yet another O-fer- _ (fill in the blank) start you really need to look at the teams we did beat before you consider retaining Sporano as your Head Coach NOT what your record is at the end of the year. Lets not forget that less than 4 weeks ago we held the label of "The worst Team in the NFL" by most media outlets, NFL Fan's and the rest of the teams in the NFL. That just doesn't go away because you beat teams with lesser talent or flailing gametime execution at the end of the season you might be playing a couple of teams with nothing more to gain before their heading into the playoff's so you might beat their second string but we want to use that as a measuring tool for our team being successful also? I'm sure we will but it's all based off of incorrect data and once you enter incorrect data, your results are always going to be inaccurate. So, should Tony retain his job because he beat the teams he was suppose to beat while starting the season 0-7 and not beating the top teams in our division? Why is this even a question? Let me know when were sitting on top of our division and have swept or at least split games with all of the teams in our division and have beat at least 2 of the perennial playoff teams and I'll be able to give you an honest and accurate answer to this question...until then....keep searching for your Coach and QB PLEASE!!!

8. emeraldfin

emeraldfin Gary Speed RIP Donator

No, but I would be all but certain that he does.

9. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

I think you'll change your mind.

10. ashleigh1855

ashleigh1855 Active Member

11. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

i guess someone else was HC during our 0-7 stretch....

12. JTech194

JTech194 Starter

If we win out I don't see how you can't keep him. If we win out that would essentially mean they've figured
    It out. With the shortened off season losing your starting QB and with the new parts that were added, it took a
    While for them to figure it out. I'd draft a QB in the first round and give them one more year with this group of
    players, but the leash would be short. If we start slow again next year then I make a coaching change

13. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

14. Penthos

Penthos Am I on speaker phone?

If we keep blowing teams out, then yes, absolutely. If we go back to scraping by mediocre teams with two point wins, then probably not.

15. gdiaz0358

gdiaz0358 Rookie

NO HE DOESNT!!!! Why are people so content with mediocrity!!! He needs to go!!

16. phishxhead

phishxhead Ring Of Honor

I dont want a GM/coach that been with a team for 4 years that has yet to figure out they need to get a franchise QB to succeed and isnt willing to do what it takes to make that happen.

I define success as having a team that competes for championships.

17. J. David Wannyheimer

It's really weird to see people advocating another year of Moore/Sparano when Matt Moore is the definitive case against Tony Sparano.

We were promised a fair competition and got the usual Tony Sparano meatball maneuver. Play last year's starter until he's dead and then finally when you have no other choice, stick in the guy who played better in the preseason.

18. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

Its Wanny all over again. Win just enough not to lose your job.

Ross can keep Tony if he wants....I won't be flying to Miami for any games as long as he's on the sideline fistpumping red zone FGs.

19. McMichael81Fan

McMichael81Fan Rookie

I just wish we didn't blow those 3 damn games against Cleveland, Denver, and the Giants, we would be 7-5 and in real good position for a Wild Card. Its very annoying because the potential that the majority of Dolphins fans saw before the season is shining brightly right now, these guys love playing for Sparano, especially the veterans of the club like Marshall, Dansby, Bell and Starks who are playing terrific football. I think I would be happy to see Sparano back but would understand if he wasn't retained. Whichever way Ross goes would not surprise or upset me.

20. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

21. EmperorPhin

EmperorPhin Scout Team

Barring a horrible finish Sparano is coming back

22. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

If he finishes 8-8 he would have a winning record as head coach and would be around next year. 33-31

23. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

my opinion is .......Parcells had his hands all over this organisation prior to this season. He hired, Ireland, Sparano, Henning and Pasqualoni.

IMO Sparano, in spite of a shortened off-season, realised Henning was not the way forward and hired Daboll. This was obviously going to take time to implement. If we go 8-8 I do not want to rip it all up. I want to give Sparano, Daboll and Nolan another season, to continue what is currently occuring.

Could it be that Sparano has finally hit on success, but it came too late to reach fruition?

24. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

Just win baby!!!

25. JerryD

JerryD A True Fan

Good one!! You forgot that 90% of Miami was on their trail with pitch forks, tar, & feathers?!?!

26. normaniii

normaniii A True Fan

I did not forget, but do agree!

27. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

no way.. if we win out by completely destroying and dismantling every team we plaY, even by an average score of 45 to 6, he still, in no way whatsoever, deserves to be our head coach next year.

28. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

[​IMG]

Amplifying on that, there's another thread nearby that attempts to make the case that it's the QB, not on field or peripheral decisions that determines the HC's success. Well, even if that were the case (which I doubt) why did it take an injury to Henne to discover that Moore was better equipt to run this team and be its leader? Why wasn't there a legitimate preseason competition? Why did it take a humiliating nationally televised game for Tony to fire Pasquoloni? After the first 7-9 defensive meltdown, it seems everyone but Tony knew he was the weak leak. If that game was tighter, you'd have to think he'd still have his job! The same can be said for Bonamego. Was Tony really the last one to understand what a mess our special teams was and then be shamed into canning him?

And then there's the latest national humiliation where supposedly comparable Bill Belicheat had his team hurrying up to the line while our players were panting from exhaustion. Weren't we the ones supposed to have the heat advantage? Shouldn't the team training 1500 miles north be the ones gasping for breathe? And our conditioning coach? Last I heard he's still got his job.

And of course, there's not just the signing of Columbo. With Tony exacting more personnel decision responsibility as a result of the Harbaugh fiasco, don't tell me that move was not on him! Why was he signed aside from being an old Cowboy? Doesn't Tony have any contacts in Dallas who would have told him that guy was toast? After 3 games of Columbo doing his best imitation of a turnstyle with no improvement, why was he still starting? Why IS he still starting?

Between Moore, Pasquolini, Henning, Bonemego, our conditioning how many games has thought cost us in the last 2 years and 12 games? Forget the poor field management moves that rarely change, just from poor personnel decisions.. where would we be if Tony was even a bit more constructively reactive, let alone proactive?

I was just listening to John Harbaugh being interviewed by the 2Mikes. What a difference in the way he expresses himself and his thought processes! This guy's a coach and after seeing how well his bro is doing and viewing the profile of the 2 progenies and their father, it's no wonder that Ozzie Newsome in his infinite wisdom bypassed DC Rex and his inbred family line for a position coach in Harbaugh. Does anyone around here really think Ozzie would have hired Tony for a coordinator slot, let alone HC?

There's no denying Tony does have attributes including earning the support and respect of his team (although after throwing them under the bus last season to defend Henning, I don't know why), as well as being a good guy, but in today's advanced version of the NFL, he's just not smart enough to make the proactive moves.. and often even needs to have his feet held to the fire to compel him to make the most obvious reactive ones. Our offense would never have been opened up if Tony was pleading with zebra that he'll be fired if a call vs Denver wasn't reversed.

Great guy but just not head coach material :idk:

29. arsenal

arsenal Beastin'

the reason i say yes is because he showed he can change... when things weren't working he switched everything up to spark this run...

if we have a team that can go 8-1, with that only loss being a 1 point last second field goal in Dallas on a short week... blowing out teams vying for the playoffs like Oakland and KC (before Cassell went down, just coming off a win against the Chargers), and if we are beating division foes also fighting for playoffs in Buffalo, Jets and Patriots, thats an amazing accomplishment and shows we can win with this bunch...

but lets see if we can beat the Pats and Jets when it really matters for those teams

30. snake eyes

snake eyes Well-Known Member

why hasnt this been merged?

31. Mannyjr23

Mannyjr23 Starter

32. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

I can't wait to bring Tony back next year and not get our first win until almost 2013.

33. Hellweed

Hellweed Indomitable Survivor

I think this turn around here is solely due to the Bell/Bush clash, and some veterans clued everyone in on the fact they were all actually playing for their own jobs next year and beyond. Be it here, there or no where. Sparano may get lucky because of that.

34. Shouright

Shouright A True Fan

I think that's entirely possible, and I've given that some consideration myself, but when you watch the post-game locker room speeches, IMO they have the appearance of the veteran leaders' rallying around Tony Sparano much more than what you've indicated here.

Dansby, Barnett, Bell, Long, and Moore are all front and center and very involved IMO.

35. Finland

Finland Pro Bowler

Perhaps wait until we are 8-8 maybe.

36. islandah

islandah FinHeaven VIP

I'm sick of everybody saying that he's done such a good job keeping the team together, that the players are playing for him, that he should get all this credit for relaxing the practices and making it more fun. My take on it is that he basically threw his hands up, and pretty much let the team coach itself, and that's when the turnaround happened (coincidentally, also playing against some weak teams).

According to reports and Burnett's quotes, he basically said - Fine, you want to go 0-16 and get rid of me , fine, but I won't be the only one to go(Wah!). Burnett literally said - He gave us the team! It took Brandon Marshall (the locker room cancer everyone was worried about) calling out Vontae, it took Bush saying -We stink, it took the players saying- We hold each other accountable, and it took Henne literally being physically unable to play for the better QB to get in the line-up.

In other words, injury and the players are doing a better job of coaching this team than Sparano did! Imagine how good we could be if we actually had a professional head coach, not one of Parcell's cronies being handed a job.

37. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

For me the question comes down to one that is similar to college football and the BSC bowls. What are the Dolphin's signature wins under Sparano? I define a signature win as against a playoff caliber team. Up until now he basically has 8 big wins. In 2008 he had 3 against the Patsies, Chargers and Jests. In 2009 he had 3 against the Patsies and Jests (2). In 2010 he had 2 against the Packers and Jests. This year he has zero.

Now look at how many games he has lost which we could have won with better coaching both in play calling and clock management. In 2008 we only had one winable game slip away and that was against Houston. I would put that stat more on Pennington that Sparano/Henning. In 2009 we lost winnable games against Indy, New Orleans, and games down the stretch to Tenesse, Houston, and Pitt that if won would have got us into the playoffs. In 2010 we got swept by New England, lost winnable mid season games to the Jets and Pitt and collapsed down the stretch losing to Cleveland, Buffalo, and Detroit. This year he has lost winnable games against the Browns, Donkeys, G-men and Cowboys.

Looking at a resume like this which shows only 8 quality wins and 17 losses where we either gave the game away or had a chance to win late and came up short is very damning to Sparano. I think it really shows his capability as a coach to get things accomplished during crunch time late in games is not up to par with the Tomlin, Belicheck, Macarthy, and Harbaugh's of this league and if we want to be Super Bowl contenders he needs to be let go.

38. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

So what IF Sparano is the coach of a trade up for Luck. Or draft RG3/Weeden/Tannehill?

Would that change people's opinionsa about him? or woul dhe still be a ******* coach who "doesn't get it"?

39. walt

walt A True Fan

I think we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves thinking about 8-8, but were that to happen - nobody fires a coach who finishes the season winning 7 out of 8.

40. J. David Wannyheimer

Get ready to redefine the word 'nobody.'

The new definition will be STEVE ROSS.

41. Cali Finfan

Cali Finfan A True Fan

If he sold the farm for Luck then I would think less of him... Don't get me wrong because I think Luck would be great but there is a lot of talent for QB in this draft and selling the farm would be the wrong move...

42. CalDolFan10x14

CalDolFan10x14 Your QB for the next 10 years. Finheaven VIP Donator

I think we should get to 8-8 before we actually have this discussion. The Eagles, Pats, Bills, and Jets...one game at a time. They will all have something to say about going 8-8.

43. houtz

houtz Pay the man!

We won 4 games all season long and some of you think it's a lock we win out. Sparano's teams have crumbled late in the season, why would it be any different?

44. WeVie

WeVie Champion Of The Beards!

No he does not. It's time to find a winner and he is not.

45. Phantom

Phantom Phantom Donator

8-8 he should be fired, doesn't matter what road you took to get there, its the final result coming on the heels of 7-9, 7-9, and i don't believe for one second we will get to 8-8 anyway. Lets remember how his team played when they thought his job was on the line the end of last season.