A General Observation On Drafting Players And Paying Them | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

A General Observation On Drafting Players And Paying Them

Your question "Tell me why we're letting Wilkins go?"

Mainly 2 reasons, our GM got too aggressive with big signings/trades/restructures to win it all in 2023 and it didn't work.

Wilkins is wanting more money than his production warrants.

If we had alot of cap flexibility I'm sure we would find a way to keep Wilkins, so it's more of column A than column B.
I certainly agree with the Bolded Sentence.

I agree. Seems like a wasted pick .we are not reaping the beninfits if we only keep him during his development stage and once he peaks to let another team reap the beninfit. But the team has to draft someone in the first round?

Expanding on the obvious doesn't seem to have any effects on the "Lemmings". - LOL

People still whine about the AJ pick. These people forget that that year we had to have both a QB and an LT in that draft. There were also 4 Tackles taken before we got AJ almost forcing us to commit because of the run on the position and our desperate need. We had a Jessie Davis playing tackle for Christ sake. AJ actually played pretty good early until he had the high ankle sprain. Another "hindsight warrior"

People still whine about the AJ pick. These people forget that that year we had to have both a QB and an LT in that draft. There were also 4 Tackles taken before we got AJ almost forcing us to commit because of the run on the position and our desperate need. We had a Jessie Davis playing tackle for Christ sake. AJ actually played pretty good early until he had the high ankle sprain. Another "hindsight warrior"
Why did we HAVE to have both of those positions in that draft?

It was early in the rebuild and not much talent currently on the Dolphins roster, no? They could have went a number of ways philosophically?

They could have traded down a little with all 3 of their 1st rounders and acquired Wirfs, Ruiz & Queen. By doing this, they gain future draft capital, so when the time comes to pick a Qb on a rookie contract, after building your foundation, they have the capital to move up?

The only reason you say they HAD TO is because thats what they did. Then after selecting a Qb early on a rookie contract they pivoted from a traditional rebuild, to a reload, by trading 1st round picks previously acquired for expensive established Vets which put stress on the teams salary cap, a team which had no positional depth.

It's hard for some people to change their narrative... if they admit that they've been wrong, they feel belittled.
I'm not saying that they are all narcissists... but you do see it a lot, and not just within the political world.

Back
Top Bottom