Abreu to Yanks | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Abreu to Yanks

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
OK, he's so broken down he carried the Yankees today. :lol:

C'mon man, Johnny may be banged up but let's face it, he's STILL CONTRIBUTING BIG TIME and it not even close to breaking down. He's so banged up that he's third on the team in at bats, has more stolen bases already this season then he did last year (with a broken foot), is going to score 100 runs, and goes all out no matter what (even with the injury's). This is a guy who never wants to be out of the line-up and in half the games he missed this year it was Torre's decision to sit Johnny, not Johnny's. Him being banged up is not breaking down it's the sign of a leader, someone with heart who is willing to go out everyday and risk it for his team (another Jeter). I mean man, you keep talking about 3 years from now but dude, I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about this year. The whole "Johnny wasn't worth the 4th year" is a joke and just a way for Red Sox fans to fool themselves into believing that it wasn't a mistake to let Johnny go. At the end of the day, Coco can't carry Damon's jock and you know it, and won't be able to in his whole career. Damon has appeared in 95 of the Yankees 102 games and so what if he can't play CF 5 games in a row, everyone needs a breather and no one is better at giving guys breathers then Torre. It's just like Torre said "during the season I listen to the trainer, in the playoffs, I listen to the player" as to whether or not a player is fit to play or not. you guys should be worrying about your CF of the future who has missed waaaaaaay more time then Johnny, can't steal bases, and can't hit the ball. But let me guess guys, his defense makes up for everything You talk about Johnny being banged up but after 100+ games, 90 percent of player in baseball are banged up and have pains and aches here and there. That's part of a grueling 162 game season!

Let's get one thing straight, Damon is a great player, no doubt and no one is arguing that. I think it funny how Yankee fans change their tune on Damon when he puts on the pinstripes. Pefect example from a very knowledgable Yankee and baseball fan, go to post #1648, towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=73300&page=110&highlight=johnny+damon

Funny how things change when a player is in a different uniform. Look at the post right after when a Red Sox fan said on October 1st that he didn't want him resigned. The Sox fans know he was breaking down (as did the Yankee fans and I'm sure you said the same thing last year) as he was pretty bad in the 2nd half of the year with the Sox due to all the injuries he had from the beginning of the year. A Yankee fan can't laugh and say Damon is breaking down in a Red Sox uniform and then say he's not a year later in a Yankee uniform. You can't have it both ways. I'm sure if he was still with the Sox, Yankee fans would be saying how broken down he is for always being hurt this year.

If I could go back in time I'd still let Damon walk. He's not worth the money and the years. Come 2008 the guy might not even be able to walk, let alone play CF.

I think more and more, the big market teams are willing to throw in that extra year and treat it as a write-off. Damon is one example. Pedro Martinez is another. I'm convinced the Mets gave Pedro four years thinking that he'd be awesome in the first two, pretty good in the third, and replacement level in the fourth.

It's about shifting costs. It's hard to justify giving a guy an extra $3 million per year to blow other bidders out of the water, but if you tack on an extra year to the contract, you can always hope that he ages well, or that the team will have enough success in the first few years of the contract that you, the GM, will keep your job in spite of Damon hitting .220 in year four, or Pedro posting a 5 ERA.

By the way, I think the Yanks made out like bandits in the Abreu trade, and must be considered the AL East favorites now. And believe me, I'd rather drink bleach than see yet another October containing the Yanks.

FaninPatsyLand said:
Blah, I'm sick of hearing about how good their lineup is on a nightly basis. We all heard how incredible their lineup was going to be when they signed Giambi in 2001, and we heard it again when they traded for A-Rod in 2004. Whatever, they haven't won a damn thing since then, and I don't see this trade helping them to achieve anything of note this year either.

w/ all the injuries this year we still have scored more runs than your team in 1 less game. Now we add another good offensive player so we should get a little better.

GreenMonster said:
It may not be the best lineup in the postseason, but as far as helping them make the playoffs the next two years it will help.. Trust me I too am very happy they keep making deals for hitters and not decent pitchers.. (Liddle is garbage)..

who are the pitchers out there to get? Our pitching has ben alot better than people think and alot of teams would like to have the 1-2-3 at the top of the rotation that we have. Sure I'd like another arm in the pen but we are good enough to win it all w/ the team we have. We also could go out in the ALDS or not make the playoffs, there aren't any great teams in MLB and there hasn't been since the Yanks of the late 90s.

wazzy said:
I thought Yankees were claiming that they wouldn't trade away there young prospects for an older veteran! I guess they changed there mind and made a deal like they do almost every year!

they said they wouldn't trade top prspects and they didn't.

FaninPatsyLand said:
That's exactly my point, you can't outscore everyone in October. Which is exactly why this deal is essentially a non-factor for the short-term (this year).

Thank you!

You still need to score and this helps, we have good enough pitching to win.

FaninPatsyLand said:
No doubt about it.

In fact I'd go as far to say that I feel the Twins are the only team in all of baseball that the Red Sox couldn't beat in a playoff series. They don't hit any lefties well, nevermind the two most dominant lefties in all of baseball in Liriano and Santana.

after what Chi did to you last year you should be worried about them.

Ray Finkle said:
Let's get one thing straight, Damon is a great player, no doubt and no one is arguing that. I think it funny how Yankee fans change their tune on Damon when he puts on the pinstripes. Pefect example from a very knowledgable Yankee and baseball fan, go to post #1648, towards the bottom of the page:

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=73300&page=110&highlight=johnny+damon

Funny how things change when a player is in a different uniform. Look at the post right after when a Red Sox fan said on October 1st that he didn't want him resigned. The Sox fans know he was breaking down (as did the Yankee fans and I'm sure you said the same thing last year) as he was pretty bad in the 2nd half of the year with the Sox due to all the injuries he had from the beginning of the year. A Yankee fan can't laugh and say Damon is breaking down in a Red Sox uniform and then say he's not a year later in a Yankee uniform. You can't have it both ways. I'm sure if he was still with the Sox, Yankee fans would be saying how broken down he is for always being hurt this year.

If I could go back in time I'd still let Damon walk. He's not worth the money and the years. Come 2008 the guy might not even be able to walk, let alone play CF.

LMAO, so MikeO says it and all Yankee fans now think Johnny is going to break down, nice generalization. I mean seriously bro, what do you expect from baseball players? Do you expect them to throw their body around for 162 games and not be aching and bruised? EVERY PLAYER who has played the whole season is feeling the grind of a long season by now, why is that Johnny Damon is breaking down? Johnny has been consistant all year long and has gone out there and played through injury's that most guys would have sat out. That's tough, not broken down. If anyone is breaking down, it's Varitek. Might want to look into that, that .240 average is incredible!

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
LMAO, so MikeO says it and all Yankee fans now think Johnny is going to break down, nice generalization. I mean seriously bro, what do you expect from baseball players? Do you expect them to throw their body around for 162 games and not be aching and bruised? EVERY PLAYER who has played the whole season is feeling the grind of a long season by now, why is that Johnny Damon is breaking down? Johnny has been consistant all year long and has gone out there and played through injury's that most guys would have sat out. That's tough, not broken down. If anyone is breaking down, it's Varitek. Might want to look into that, that .240 average is incredible!

:shakeno:

Talking about digging up an old thread.

MikeO said:

No bro you are allowed to change your mind, I mean what do Red Sox fans expect from Yankees fans when it comes to Johnny Damon? We hated him when he was with the Red Sox for obvious reasons but now that he's a Yankee we're supposed to boo him because if we don't, we're not consistant LMAO. I cheer any and everybody that puts on a Yankees uniform and Damon is no different. Add to the that the fact that he's actually a good guy for not only the Yankees but for baseball as a whole and how could you not like him if he's on your team. Plus he goes all out on the field, I mean what's there to dislike if he's on your team?

[mod] Not appropriate. Please use the ignore feature if you don't like to read posts from a specific person. [/mod]

MikeO said:

removed

FinsNYanksFan13 said:

I agree with you with Varitek. I didn't want him signed for 4 years either, it's too much for a catcher on the wrong side of 30.

Ray Finkle said:
So now Damon isn't washed up and worth the money he got? Give me a break.

I wouldn't have made the signing., but he is proving maybe I was wrong.

MikeO said:
I wouldn't have made the signing., but he is proving maybe I was wrong.

That's a fair point. All I'm saying is a Yankee fan has to be somewhat concerned that everyday he seems to have something else hurting him (this isn't including or factoring in how well he's playing or how hard) and could be breaking down faster than Bernie Williams did. That's all, I'm not trying to take anything away from Damon's skills or abilities.

Ray Finkle said:
That's a fair point. All I'm saying is a Yankee fan has to be somewhat concerned that everyday he seems to have something else hurting him (this isn't including or factoring in how well he's playing or how hard) and could be breaking down faster than Bernie Williams did. That's all, I'm not trying to take anything away from Damon's skills or abilities.

With Melky, Abreu, Matsui, Sheff also as outfielders we can rest him and let him DH and get days off.

And if we keep Sheff next year even at 1B, we will still have many outfielders and can space out his time and not run him into the ground. Who would have known about Abreu on the team and Melky being so good when we made the Damon signing?

Ray Finkle said:

I don't get it Finkle, he's breaking down so badly that he's still doing everything he would do if nothing was bothering him at all? Sorry that don't make sense to me. Like I said Finkle, if you know anything about baseball (which you seem to know some things, at least when it comes to the Red Sox) you would know that after 100 games everyone in baseball has things bothering them. Johnny's feeling the grind as I'm sure 90 percent of players who have played the whole season are. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS IN BASEBALL, all the sliding, diving, running, jumping, foul balls off the foot, and everything else that goes on in baseball everyday attribute to these minor bumps, bruises, and scrapes. The only thing serioulsy wrong with Johnny is his foot and he's played what, 70 games since the Yankees found out about this injury. Nomar Garciaparra is breaking down, Barry Bonds is breaking down, Johnny is just playing all out and accumlating the bumps and bruises that all baseball players get during a long, tough season. You keep saying Johnny's going to break down in 4 years but how? Is his personality to go out there and play hurt no matter what going to change or something? No it's not because he's a warrior on the field who doesn't let little things stop him. I mean Manny's knee is supposedly bothering him, is he breaking down?

FinsNYanksFan13 said:
I don't get it Finkle, he's breaking down so badly that he's still doing everything he would do if nothing was bothering him at all? Sorry that don't make sense to me. Like I said Finkle, if you know anything about baseball (which you seem to know some things, at least when it comes to the Red Sox) you would know that after 100 games everyone in baseball has things bothering them. Johnny's feeling the grind as I'm sure 90 percent of players who have played the whole season are. THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS IN BASEBALL, all the sliding, diving, running, jumping, foul balls off the foot, and everything else that goes on in baseball everyday attribute to these minor bumps, bruises, and scrapes. The only thing serioulsy wrong with Johnny is his foot and he's played what, 70 games since the Yankees found out about this injury. Nomar Garciaparra is breaking down, Barry Bonds is breaking down, Johnny is just playing all out and accumlating the bumps and bruises that all baseball players get during a long, tough season. You keep saying Johnny's going to break down in 4 years but how? Is his personality to go out there and play hurt no matter what going to change or something? No it's not because he's a warrior on the field who doesn't let little things stop him. I mean Manny's knee is supposedly bothering him, is he breaking down?

We keep going back and forth in circles and not getting anywhere. I'm glad that you're happy with Damon. Let's just leave it at that.

Back
Top Bottom