AFC East Implosion | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

AFC East Implosion

If we make 1/4 of the improvement we made this year I think we will be OK. I must say that for the first time in a long time, the whole organization seems to be headed in the right direction. I give BP all the credit for that.

Agreed with the BP line. Not sure, right now, if we can make a 1/4 improvement next year...but I hope so!

I still think NE is the team to beat, to go 11-5 losing the key players they lost as much as I hate to say it is pretty damn impressive. BUT we are well on our way back to where we belong the afc elite!

How bad have the Irish fallen off since he arrived?

I'm sorry...I thought we were talking pro football...New England in particular.

Should we move this to the college football board?

I am saying that the patsies did not drop off when Weis left...please read the post before you jump all over me.

I still think NE is the team to beat, to go 11-5 losing the key players they lost as much as I hate to say it is pretty damn impressive. BUT we are well on our way back to where we belong the afc elite!

100% agree on all fronts.

It will be us and the Pats fighting it out next year.

I hope we make significant improvements this offseason because I don't think that the this year's team would do too well with next year's schedule.

never know dude, look at the chargers/jags.. atlanta/cards
can't compare one season to the next...
I'm quite sure that we're in the middle of a role-over in the league, where perrenial winners are going to start declining to up and commers. Your still going to have consistant winners, but the elite teams are going to start changing.

I'm sorry...I thought we were talking pro football...New England in particular.

Should we move this to the college football board?

I am saying that the patsies did not drop off when Weis left...please read the post before you jump all over me.

I apologize if you thought I was jumping on you. My point was that maybe Weis was not all that. Maybe the loss of Pioli and the current or last OC (his name escapes me at the moment) is going to be bigger than the loss of Weis. I also think the locker room may get divided over their QBs.

I apologize if you thought I was jumping on you. My point was that maybe Weis was not all that. Maybe the loss of Pioli and the current or last OC (his name escapes me at the moment) is going to be bigger than the loss of Weis. I also think the locker room may get divided over their QBs.

OK. My bad. I was just trying to say that everyone thought that Weis was a "genius" and the Pats kept rolling. If the latest OC was a genius is might take a couple of years for the Pats to feel the effect.

For example...I'm still not sure that Tomlin (Steelers) is a great coach or if he is living off the talent Cowher put together (like Switzer in Dallas).

OK. My bad. I was just trying to say that everyone thought that Weis was a "genius" and the Pats kept rolling. If the latest OC was a genius is might take a couple of years for the Pats to feel the effect.

For example...I'm still not sure that Tomlin (Steelers) is a great coach or if he is living off the talent Cowher put together (like Switzer in Dallas).

I understand completely. I was one of the believers of Weis. But I see what he has done since and what NE has done and see it differently now. Maybe Belicheck is the football God that evryone wants to make him out to be. Only time will tell. As with Tomlin as well.

NE loses coaches every year and just keep trucking along, BB does a great job of getting the next one ready before he needs him. It has to catch up to them sooner or later.

As far as I'm concerned WE won the AFC East so they will be shooting for us. You can't be the champs until you beat the champs and thats us baby!!!!!

I really doubt that NE is going to implode. They're always really well managed. However, they definately have had some defensive troubles, and they certainly aren't the beast they were in 2007. Buffalo seems perpetually inept. What was really awesome this season, though, is watching the Jets collapse. That franchise has set itself back for years. Loaded up on free agents that did them nothing. bust of a first rounder, fired a solid young coach as a scape goat, no quarterback... oh boy.

It's too early to tell until the offseason is complete. But, my guess is that New England will again be the team to beat. Brady/Cassel isn't a problem, they can't afford to keep both of them so they'll pick one and he'll be effective. The other will not be on their roster so there will be no controversy. Losing their OC isn't going to be a huge deal either IMHO. What will be a problem for them is age. Their team is very old in a lot of places, and while Brady, Moss, etc. are still spring chickens, there are a lot of players who loose another step each year, particularly on defense. Plus, their secondary isn't what it used to be since they lost Asante Samuel.

But, they've still got the best team in the AFC East, at least until we have to re-evaluate after the draft and free agency.

Let's be honest here, the Dolphins have a lot of holes. Porter is old so we can't expect him to duplicate this season although he'll likely be good again. Roth cannot cover at all, and it's only a matter of time before teams start taking advantage of that mismatch routinely. Ayodele is mediocre at best. Crowder--if he is even re-signed--is mediocre and neither ILB forces fumbles, recovers fumbles, tips passes or intercepts them. Our LB corps is weak. We have 1 good safety (Bell) and 1 good CB (Will Allen) and a lot of mediocrity at CB2, NB, and the other S. We also have no depth of consequence. Ferguson and Holiday are old and should be expected to diminish. So our defense has a lot of holes, and that's our strength.

On offense we lack a big possession WR, a good blocking TE, 1 G, and any depth along the interior OL. We can't fill all these holes in the offseason.

So, I sincerely doubt we'll repeat as AFC Eash Champions. :( But it'll be fun trying.

It's too early to tell until the offseason is complete. But, my guess is that New England will again be the team to beat. Brady/Cassel isn't a problem, they can't afford to keep both of them so they'll pick one and he'll be effective. The other will not be on their roster so there will be no controversy. Losing their OC isn't going to be a huge deal either IMHO. What will be a problem for them is age. Their team is very old in a lot of places, and while Brady, Moss, etc. are still spring chickens, there are a lot of players who loose another step each year, particularly on defense. Plus, their secondary isn't what it used to be since they lost Asante Samuel.

But, they've still got the best team in the AFC East, at least until we have to re-evaluate after the draft and free agency.

Let's be honest here, the Dolphins have a lot of holes. Porter is old so we can't expect him to duplicate this season although he'll likely be good again. Roth cannot cover at all, and it's only a matter of time before teams start taking advantage of that mismatch routinely. Ayodele is mediocre at best. Crowder--if he is even re-signed--is mediocre and neither ILB forces fumbles, recovers fumbles, tips passes or intercepts them. Our LB corps is weak. We have 1 good safety (Bell) and 1 good CB (Will Allen) and a lot of mediocrity at CB2, NB, and the other S. We also have no depth of consequence. Ferguson and Holiday are old and should be expected to diminish. So our defense has a lot of holes, and that's our strength.

On offense we lack a big possession WR, a good blocking TE, 1 G, and any depth along the interior OL. We can't fill all these holes in the offseason.

So, I sincerely doubt we'll repeat as AFC Eash Champions. :( But it'll be fun trying.

a lot of mediocre players...
but i mean, i guess it was just luck that we had a defense rated in the top half of the NFL...

Crowder is NOT mediocre
Goodman showed he COULD hold his own at number 2 cornerback
Porter is not TOO old, hes in his low 30's, there have been many that produced way past that age
Roth is always taken out on 3rd down or on second and long situations because he is a GOOD run stuffer.
Renaldo Hill made plays in our secondary when we needed him to. We got absolutely torched before he was inserted into the lineup.

We do have holes, but you are taking it way out of proportion.

I believe the AFC East is set to implode leaving Miami a great chance to repeat.

New England
Pioli has left and has been a key front office player in their personnel dept.
Another OC has left for greener pastures.
Brady or Cassel? There could be a controversy here especially if the team gets devided.

New York
Favre. Favre. Favre. Will he stay or retire? Should've stayed retired but now would leave them with no viable QB.
New head coach to replace one who was wrongly fired in my opinion.
Again, if the players get divided on these issues, it could get ugly.

Buffalo
Has been perrineal underachievers for a long time. I don't see Jauron changing that anytime soon.

People have been saying this more or less verbetim for years about the Patriots. There will be no controversy. Brady is god in that area of the world. All they will remember about Cassell is that he couldn't get it done. They've lost coordinators almost every year, and, they are still right there in the hunt.

theres more to New Englands downfall than just the admin losses, for the past few years their division hasnt really been that competitive, giving them 5-6 wins a year heading into the season, It's a bit different now. Also the pats defense was exposed last year, as was the O-line, by comparison to previous years in New england, not to mention moss is aging (even though it hasn't seemed to effect him yet, let him pull a hammy or get a sprain, or toe prob, he wont be able to recover as quick) theres alot to get straight in one offseason...

Back
Top Bottom