"Air Apparent" on the way... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

"Air Apparent" on the way...

san fran just drafted frank gore last year. Bush is definitely going to be the 1st or 2nd overall pick in the draft. Gore was a proven back at UM and has already showed signs of being a good back this year running behind kevin barlow. I dont think they'll go after another RB. Yea Minny getting the 2nd overall pick is a long shot especially after last weeks perfromance coming back and beating the Packers. And as already mentioned the play of teams like the Browns and Jets will have them up in the top pick mix. All in all though, it'd be a great day in Miami if we could work something out to get ahold of Culpepper.

Bellson said:
san fran just drafted frank gore last year. Bush is definitely going to be the 1st or 2nd overall pick in the draft. Gore was a proven back at UM and has already showed signs of being a good back this year running behind kevin barlow. I dont think they'll go after another RB. Yea Minny getting the 2nd overall pick is a long shot especially after last weeks perfromance coming back and beating the Packers. And as already mentioned the play of teams like the Browns and Jets will have them up in the top pick mix. All in all though, it'd be a great day in Miami if we could work something out to get ahold of Culpepper.

Reggie Bush may not be the 1st or 2nd overall pick, he's small and I don't think he is the type of back to carry the ball 20-25 times a game, but like Weis said he is more of a Faulk type back. Depending on who picks at the top Laurence Maroney maybe the 1st running back taken. I think GB is in for a long season and they will take either Bush/Maroney in the top 5.

finfan82 said:
I think Rivers has shown some good skills from what little of him I have seen. I do know that Culpepper(sp)? would not be a good pickup. First off the guy has small hands which leads to more fumbles. This is shown because he has as many, if not more fumbles than he has starts in his career. The media reported a little while back that him losing his center this year was a bigger impact than him losing Moss. So I think if he came here with our quality o-line (sarcasm) he would just continue that trend of fumbling. Thats just my opinion

YES, AND HE PLAYS IN A DOME FOR 8 GAMES NO RAIN. IT RAINS ALOT IN FLORIDA.

finfan82 said:
I do know that Culpepper(sp)? would not be a good pickup. First off the guy has small hands which leads to more fumbles. This is shown because he has as many, if not more fumbles than he has starts in his career. The media reported a little while back that him losing his center this year was a bigger impact than him losing Moss. So I think if he came here with our quality o-line (sarcasm) he would just continue that trend of fumbling. Thats just my opinion

I have heard the same knock about his small hands...but you only hear about them if they lose (or he gets hit and fumbles)...you never hear about his hands when he runs and doesnt fumble or when he airs it out. All players have some weakness that the media loves to pick at like a scab when that player or the team doesnt play well.

However, if we picked up someone that our coaches felt was the QB of the future.....no way our existing line stays the same next year and doesnt get the attention it deserves to be upgraded.

No new QB will be playing with this exact line next year!

I think Rivers is a possibility, but I think drafting a quarterback is more likely. I just don't think Miami wants to give up draft picks and San Diego will ask for a lot. But you're right that position will be a high priority in the offseason -- it has to be at this point.

I seriously doubt that Saban will spend a high draft pick either by draft or trade for a QB. He's not looking for a QB to be the guy to win games....he's looking for a manager of the game that won't lose games. He'll either bring in another experienced QB that won't cost much...and my best guess he'll get Lemon ready for next season. Saban will use his draft picks to build his team...not to acquire one player.

fishypete said:
I seriously doubt that Saban will spend a high draft pick either by draft or trade for a QB. He's not looking for a QB to be the guy to win games....he's looking for a manager of the game that won't lose games. He'll either bring in another experienced QB that won't cost much...and my best guess he'll get Lemon ready for next season. Saban will use his draft picks to build his team...not to acquire one player.

What about our offense gave you that idea. Hmmm..the fact that in key situations last week..with a running back averaging of 6YPC..we decided to air it out? I think he would want nothing less than a QB he can build this franchise on. Look..for the most part...you dont win Super Bowls with a QB that wont lose games.

Lets look at some of the recent winners:

Tom Brady
Brad Johnson
Trent Dilfer
Kurt Warner
John Elway
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Troy Aikman

Dilfer is the quintesential..wont win but wont lose QB. He and Johnson got their rings because of outstanding D's. The rest...with the exception of Warner..all hall of famers..and Warner was on his way to being one when injuries got the best of him.

You need a Pro Bowl caliber QB to win it all in this league. Not a hall of famer..but a Pro Bowl caliber. Saban knows this and that is why between he and Mueller they will do their best to find us the next QB that will bring us the trophy!!!

man id take culpepper in a heart beat. thats my no.1 choice any day. if not him id like to give lemon a shot and bring in a vet backup like patrick ramsey who can compete with him to start. i really like lemon though. anyone whos been watching lemon will tell you at least that he has enormous upside. rivers would be my third option. i dont think hes an extremely amazing qb, but hes a hell of an athlete and competitor. other than that i like brady quinn over leinhart, and id rather give elmon a shot than draft vick or vince young.

vt_dolfan said:
What about our offense gave you that idea. Hmmm..the fact that in key situations last week..with a running back averaging of 6YPC..we decided to air it out? I think he would want nothing less than a QB he can build this franchise on. Look..for the most part...you dont win Super Bowls with a QB that wont lose games.

Lets look at some of the recent winners:

Tom Brady
Brad Johnson
Trent Dilfer
Kurt Warner
John Elway
Brett Favre
Steve Young
Troy Aikman

Dilfer is the quintesential..wont win but wont lose QB. He and Johnson got their rings because of outstanding D's. The rest...with the exception of Warner..all hall of famers..and Warner was on his way to being one when injuries got the best of him.

You need a Pro Bowl caliber QB to win it all in this league. Not a hall of famer..but a Pro Bowl caliber. Saban knows this and that is why between he and Mueller they will do their best to find us the next QB that will bring us the trophy!!!

Saban will follow his mentors lead....he'll find a QB without using all his ammo.
If you look at his college QB's...none were great....but they were managers of the game...and were surrounded by great talent. Thats the direction I see Saban and Mueller taking in the future for the Dolphins.

Superself said:
I hope we do not get Rivers. He has been a bust so far in San Diego...and I hear Charger fans can't wait to offload him onto some desperate team willing to give up the world for him.

I'm not sure "bust" is the right word for it. It's the same situation as Ronnie earlier in the season. People called him a bust simply because he lacked game experience and wasn't comfortable yet, now look at him, he's playing on a regular basis and cruising right along. It even looks as if he is IMPROVING each week (which make sme wonder where he'd be right now if he got more touches, or hell, even if he was there for the full training camp). If I had to pick between the two I'd pick Brees, just because he has more game experience, plus I have wanted him since the draft. That doesn't mean Rivers will be bad, he just isn't proven yet. I'd rather grab a QB in free angency and draft one in the draft and have him learn the ropes while our FA QB runs the ship for a few seasons, so by the time his contract runs out the drafted QB will be ready to take over.

vt_dolfan said:
For all the crud from last year..and all the growing pains we have to endure this year....we can all get a little excited knowing that FINALLY...."Praise The Lord"...we will have someone address the QB situation in Miami.

Saban and Mueller will find us the next one...or will at least make the appropriate effort we have not had since Shula.

Im hopin myself for Rivers...but no matter who it is.......its just awsome knowing that the change is coming.........

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

Theres somethin to be positive about!!!!!
Don't count your chickens before they hatch. I thought for sure that would happed last year, and this year. I know Saban and Meuller's affinity for QB's, but there is no guarantee that they don't go out and get a vet in FA to come play QB here. I am sure we will draft a QB (according to Mueller we will draft one every year), but it may be a later pick and not the heir apparent we are looking for. I do think we will finally get one this year, but I'm not going to get too excited until we do because I have been let down before.

derek said:
I'm hoping for Brees. Rivers hasn't proven anything yet, but I did like him in college.

San Diego will not part with Brees, because starting Rivers will be like starting from scratch. Rivers may know the offense, but game experience has to be a factor, also Brees is playing good football, the losses have not been his fault IMO.

vt_dolfan said:
God...the scenarios are enough to make me want to hurry up and get to the offseason.....its like wondering what your gonna get under the X Mas tree!!! All of these scenarios sound so much more damn appealing than anything we have had since Marino!

Someone hit the Sim to End of Season button lol...

fishypete said:

I'm tired of retreads and 3rd stringers, if we are building a team I surtainly don't want it built around a 3rd string UDFA QB. :shakeno:

No way...

First of all...there's no way Minny will part with Daunte after they shipped Moss out of town in favor of him. The had (arguably) the best WR all time, and definitely the most explosive...and opted to ship him out of town and allow "Daunte" to be the heart and soul of the team. True he hasn't played well this year, but I think they'll play well down the stretch.

Secondly...I lived in NC for ten years up until this past April, and had the opportunity to watch Rivers...and if you think he's lacking the "tools" you don't know jack about him. He has an "odd" throwing motion, but oh by the way...so did Danny back in the day. If SD chooses Brees, which I think they will simply because LT and he are buds...then someone's going to get a really good QB in Rivers. If Rivers were coming out this year he'd be at the very least the #2 QB selected, and in my opinion he's got more talent than Matt at USC.

I've been hoping we'd trade for Rivers for some time...and if we can get him for our #1 and some cash...why not? There aren't many quality tackles in the draft this year outside Ferguson, and the only other need we have worthy of a high #1...which it seems we'll have again, is a young stud D-lineman. The guaranteed money paid to high number 1's is a big factor. I don't want to pay big dollars for ONE O-lineman (sans a stud LT), a DB, or one of the skill positions we already have a good player at. (RB/WR/TE/) That leaves a LT, D-lineman, or stud linebacker. We still have Zach...and we drafted Crowder, and I see Saban's still current knowledge of the college players coming out as an advantage for finding late round gems like Channing.

I say trade the #1 and some cash for Rivers and use 2-7 on O-line, D-line, and DB's.

Just my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom