Alex Boone would be interested in playing for Miami Dolphins | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Boone would be interested in playing for Miami Dolphins

Hmmm, who else is still available .. And wants to play during a hurricane?

Tim Lelito,John Greco,and Andrew Tiller

I know nothing about the technical Xs and Os aspect of football. That said, here's what I don't understand:

Miami had a better o-line before Philbin came along and wanted to go with his Zone Blocking Scheme. Ever since then, the line's performance has been pathetic. Even though I'm an ignorant fool, it sure seems to me that maybe Miami should go back to the old style of o-line play! I want to see a huge wall of old-school, nasty road-graders that open holes for the RBs and protect the QB. Isn't that the job of the o-line? Philbin's o-line couldn't get the job done; Gase's first job should have been to get a whole new o-line.

Its strange what stays around from coach to coach. Like how we always play off zone coverage no matter who is coaching...

We ran inside and outside zone almost 80% of the time last year. Man and gap runs accounted for less than 10% of our plays.

Thanks, I guess I got that impression from an article of Martz complaining Gase doesn't commit to the zone run enough.

Thanks, I guess I got that impression from an article of Martz complaining Gase doesn't commit to the zone run enough.

Gase put a strong emphasis on zone runs over last year's bye week to accommodate Ajayi's running style. I cant place the article at the moment but Gase personally asked Ajayi during that period what kind of plays he likes and adjusted the offense accordingly.

There definitely is the opportunity to run a power scheme now because, as SoS said, nearly everyone in the NFL runs some variety of the ZBS. That's what Harbaugh was doing in San Francisco to so much success, running power schemes against defenses designed for zone schemes. He added a fullback and often used extra OL as "TE's" to bulldoze those undersized LB's and DT's, and then by the 4th quarter they were so worn out from the physicality of it all, that the defenses just wilted.

As they overcompensated by putting more men in the box, that opened them up for the deep shots down field. That's precisely why Harbaugh wanted Kaepernick, because he had an absolute cannon for an arm and plenty of willingness to fling it downfield against that 1v1 coverage. If it broke down, he was a big strong runner who could salvage the play by running for yards. Alex Smith was reticent to throw deep, so Harbaugh got impatient and replaced him, just so he could facilitate his running game with the threat of the deep pass to keep the safeties honest.

It worked, look at the LB's these days, most are garbage. Why? Because they're being asked to do so many things it's nearly impossible to be good at all of them. Whatever your weakness, the offense will isolate and exploit the mismatch. Today guys like Ryan Shazier are all the rage ... basically fast safeties playing LB, because they have the speed to blitz and cover. Most offenses use the short pass as their bread and butter today, so a LB who can't cover (like ours!) is going to be exploited a lot ... and I mean a LOT. But, those guys fast and quick enough to cover slot receivers and big enough to cover TE's are rare. Those guys tend to be used as pass rushers if they're over 6'2 and coverage DB's if they're under 6'2. Those great athletes aren't being funneled to LB anymore, because no matter how good they are, they're going to be exploited by something.

But almost all of the OL's either run a full ZBS scheme or some kind or a mixture of both zone and power concepts with a heavy emphasis on zone. Defenses have been losing to it, so all of the NFL has migrated to it. Remember when Shanahan used to make every RB look like a HoF'er? That was because of those zone schemes. It worked so well, everyone adopted it. Just like everyone adopted the West Coast Offense or at least heavily incorporated it's concepts into their offenses. The ZBS is a perfect fit for the West Coast Offense systems.

Boone represents a power guy in a time when there aren't many power schemes being run. While he's not the player he used to be, he's also not surrounded by other dominating power guys who block out the sun and wear down the defense. Still, I'd like to see what he's got left in the tank. We're not looking for the old Boone, we couldn't afford him. But we are looking for a serviceable OL.

Why are we getting killed so much in the run then? According to Schwartz, by implementing the wide 9 they killed the Colts running game because the colts only ran about 4 run plays and the wide 9 made it impossible for the colts to run the outside zone.

Why are we getting killed so much in the run then? According to Schwartz, by implementing the wide 9 they killed the Colts running game because the colts only ran about 4 run plays and the wide 9 made it impossible for the colts to run the outside zone.

Inside zone runs. There are 3 reads for a RB on an inside zone call: Bang - middle, Bounce - outside strong, Bend - cutback weak.

A good zone runner can freeze LBs in the middle lane and bounce or bend their run over the 9 tech defender who will penetrate and leave a crease on the edge.

Traps, counters, and split zone can also be effective on the edge vs 9 techs as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom