Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Alex Smith vs Ryan Tannehill

Taylor 91.2
Watson 103 (in the few games he played)
Prescott 95.8
Mariota 88.6
Goff
Wentz

Those are the guys the Fins had a shot at to replace Tannehill, on top of 51 other QBs drafted since 2012... Not very good odds...

Not to mention Prescott is sill a youngin and looks shaky , Taylor is a dynamic qb with major flaws who I would hard pass on (as is buffalo) , and Mariotta IMO looks close to the same 1 read qb he did in college....

Not to mention Prescott is sill a youngin and looks shaky , Taylor is a dynamic qb with major flaws who I would hard pass on (as is buffalo) , and Mariotta IMO looks close to the same 1 read qb he did in college....
Well I didnt offer any opinion, my goal was to point out that out of close to 60 QBs drafted since Tannehill entered the league, as average as you might think he is... He's still in the top 10%

Okay, I graphically cobbled this together for now and for posterity. Source is wiki QBRs all time
passeshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_career_passer_rating_leaders

• Tannehill's QBR is 27th highest QBR of all QBs with statistical standard of min 1500 attempts
  • Among active players fulflling that statistical standard, Tannehill ranks #16
  • Statistically Tannehill is within 1% point of the next 4 highest active QBRs

Comparing his last 8 games to Watson over a comparable amount of time:
Tannehill vs Watson comparable stretch (7-1 vs 3-4)
  • Tannehill: 233 attempts, 101.9QBR
  • Watson: 204 attempts 103.0QBR
So to put this into perspective: if you thought Watson was balling, Tannehill's 7-1 run wasn't too far behind

Wentz, who I think everyone agrees is special, needs about 450 more passes to become statistically relevant. His QBR is 88.8 vs Tannehill's 86.5 which might or might not be statistically high enough above Tannehills to be relevant at this point. However considering RT has thrown 2.5X as many attempts more than Wentz, remains to be seen if those 3.3QBR points hold up.

fins all qbr all tim.jpg

So let me get this straight, we are saying Tannehill played "whatever" during this eight game stretch, and I may be wrong but during that 8 game stretch Ajayi ran for 200+ yards 3 times, kiko intercepts a pick 6 to win that game (altho Tannehill had some moments in this one), and a punt return for a TD with 4 minutes left in the game to win 17-10. The special teams scored as many TDs as the offense. Who did we play in the other 3 games? I am sorry but I do not believe in the premise of this 8 game streak. Before I get stats thrown at me. Points per game for a Ryan Tannehill offense is pretty low.

Before I get stats thrown at me. Points per game for a Ryan Tannehill offense is pretty low.

That is a team stat. But your are correct. After 77 starts Ryan is leading his team to 20.5 points per game. Which is below league average.

Watson in 7 games accounted for 21 TD (19 passing) (2 rushing), had a TD% of 9.3% which is off the charts, and had a y/a of 8.3 which would have led the league in the unlikely event that he keeps it up. Would those numbers hold up over 16 games? Most likely not, but I would say that is a superior 7 game stretch. Hopefully both can pick up where they left off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom