All-NFL Team | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

All-NFL Team

You know what, I don't have enough time to go through your whole sad list. Bo Jackson? LOL He would have been a great but he was hurt. What aboutn Campbell, Dickerson, Emmitt?

:roflmao::roflmao:

The only person who has made a fool of themselves is you. This is a list composed by me, in my opinion. Art Monk does deserve to be on there, the others, I still place Swann ahead of. If you have a problem with this, great - make your own list. But don't insult my list. Talent isn't always based on numbers. You seem to be quite the angry man...

BTW: I am aware of Otto and Lanier, I moved them intentionally as they would have performed the same at those positions.

An All-Time great list should be a compilation of the greatest players in NFL histoy-the guy's who PRODUCED the most.

Not the guy's with the most talent.

If it was a list of the guy's with the most talent then Ryan Leaf should be on there.

BTW/ You place Swann ahead of Steve Largent and Charley Taylor? wow.

Largent went to 7 Pro Bowl's, had 8 1,000 yard seasons, 9 times finished in the Top-Ten in the NFL in catches, 8 times finished in the Top-Ten in the NFL in yards, and 8 times finished in the Top-Ten in the NFL in TD's. Then he retired as the All-Time leader in catches, yards, and TD's and was a 1st Team choice at WR on the All-Decade of the 1980's Team.

Taylor who I assume you have heard of was the 1964 Rookie of the Year. He played some WR and some RB. He carried 199 times for 755 yards and 5 TD's as a RB then at WR he caught 53 balls for 814 yards and 5 TD's. He eventually settled in at WR where he went to 8 Pro Bowl's, finished Top-Ten in catches 9 times, Top-Ten in yards 6 times, and Top-Ten in TD's 6 times. He led the NFL in catches in 1966 and 1967. And retired in 1977 as the NFL's All-Time Leader in catches (His record eventually broken by Joiner then by Monk then Rice)

He was a 1st Team Choice at WR on the All-Decade of the 1960's Team. His banner year being 1966 IMO when he caught a whopping 72 balls for 1119 yards (good for 15.5 per) and 12 TD's. That year he finished 1st in catches, 2nd in yards, and 1st in TD's. Phenominal #'s for the mid-60's.

Now let's look at Swann:

NOT in the Top-50 in any major statistical category.

-Average roughly 607 yards receiving per year and 37 catches per year. 3 Pro Bowl's. 2 times he finished in the Top-Ten in the league in catches, 3 times in yards, and 3 times in TD's. The highest he ever got in catches was 7th.

You honestly think Swann was better then Largent or Taylor?

Here's the link to profootballreference.com

You may want to check that site out. :)

www.profootballreference.com

my

Here's my team, this will be from 1960-2005.

QB: John Unitas, Fran Tarkenton
RB: Jim Brown, Walter Payton
FB: Larry Csonka, John Riggins
WR: Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, Art Monk
TE: Kellen Winslow, Shannon Sharpe
LT: Anthony Munoz, Art Shell
LG: John Hannah, Russ Grimm
C: Dwight Stephenson, Mike Webster
RG: Bob Kuechenberg, Conrad Dobler
RT: Jackie Slater, Dan Dierdorf

RE: Bruce Smith, Charles Haley
LE: Reggie White, Deacon Jones
DT: Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Bob Lilly
OLB: Lawrence Taylor, Jack Ham, Derrick Brooks
MLB: Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis
CB: Mike Haynes, Rod Wooson, Darrell Green
FS: Ken Houston, Larry Wilson
SS: Ronnie Lott, Paul Krause

MiamiDolfans said:
Tell that to him.
Tell that to Terry Bradshaw.
Tell that to Chuck Noll.
Tell that to any Steelers fan, or anyone who has ever watched him play.

He is not in solely based on talent, but a combination. HOF is NOT based on numbers, its based on great football players, the greatest ever. That is talent, stats, records, superbowls, probowls, other honors, and the public opinion. There is no doubt he deserves it.

It's not based solely on talent, it's also based on PRODUCTION! He didn't have anywhere near HOF production over his career. Nice player, had somce big games in january but that's it. It's a complete insult to real HOFers that he is in.

20.J.G.18 said:
Here's my team, this will be from 1960-2005.

QB: John Unitas, Fran Tarkenton
RB: Jim Brown, Walter Payton
FB: Larry Csonka, John Riggins
WR: Jerry Rice, Steve Largent, Art Monk
TE: Kellen Winslow, Shannon Sharpe
LT: Anthony Munoz, Art Shell
LG: John Hannah, Russ Grimm
C: Dwight Stephenson, Mike Webster
RG: Bob Kuechenberg, Conrad Dobler
RT: Jackie Slater, Dan Dierdorf

RE: Bruce Smith, Charles Haley
LE: Reggie White, Deacon Jones
DT: Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Bob Lilly
OLB: Lawrence Taylor, Jack Ham, Derrick Brooks
MLB: Dick Butkus, Mike Singletary, Ray Lewis
CB: Mike Haynes, Rod Wooson, Darrell Green
FS: Ken Houston, Larry Wilson
SS: Ronnie Lott, Paul Krause

I'd take my list over your's any day... its a thing called preference...

I certainly wouldn't have Tarkenton, Brooks, Lilly, or Dobler. All great players, but not the greatest all-time...

nyjunc said:
It's not based solely on talent, it's also based on PRODUCTION! He didn't have anywhere near HOF production over his career. Nice player, had somce big games in january but that's it. It's a complete insult to real HOFers that he is in.

I strongly disagree with this statement.

MiamiDolfans said:
I strongly disagree with this statement.

Obviously I disagree, it would be ok if he even was a borderline candidiate but he was not. He made it through a media campaign much like Phil Rizzuto in baseball. The HOF is supposed to be for the best of the best and Swann is not one of the all-time greats so it's a travesty he's in the Hall.

Tarkenton retired as the NFL's All-Time leader in TD passes, passing yards, and completions. He is arguably the greatest QB of All-Time and not arguably the most underappreciated.

Here's a quick look at his #'s:

16 times he was Top-Ten in the NFL in passing TD's. 9 times in the Top-Three.

17 times he was Top-Ten in the NFL in passing yards. 10 times in the Top-Three.

He compliled 342 TD's to 266 INT's in his career and 47,003 yards passing. At the time of retirement he held the records for TD's and yards that Marino owns now.

Tarkenton also carried the ball 342 times in his career for 3674 yards and 32 TD's. He ran in for 10 TD's in a single season one year.

He still ranks 5th All-Time in passing yards and 3rd in TD's.

Now on to Lilly. This one I just don't understand. With Tarkenton, fine, you like other QB's better. Ok. Lilly, Olsen, Greene, and Page are clearly the best 4 DT's ever.

Lilly was All-NFL 8 years and went to 11 Pro Bowls. How can you rank Dan Hampton ahead of him? C'mon! Lilly missed ONE game in 14 years. He's on the 75th Anniversary All-Century Team.

20.J.G.18 said:
Tarkenton retired as the NFL's All-Time leader in TD passes, passing yards, and completions. He is arguably the greatest QB of All-Time and not arguably the most underappreciated.

Here's a quick look at his #'s:

16 times he was Top-Ten in the NFL in passing TD's. 9 times in the Top-Three.

17 times he was Top-Ten in the NFL in passing yards. 10 times in the Top-Three.

He compliled 342 TD's to 266 INT's in his career and 47,003 yards passing. At the time of retirement he held the records for TD's and yards that Marino owns now.

Tarkenton also carried the ball 342 times in his career for 3674 yards and 32 TD's. He ran in for 10 TD's in a single season one year.

He still ranks 5th All-Time in passing yards and 3rd in TD's.

Now on to Lilly. This one I just don't understand. With Tarkenton, fine, you like other QB's better. Ok. Lilly, Olsen, Greene, and Page are clearly the best 4 DT's ever.

Lilly was All-NFL 8 years and went to 11 Pro Bowls. How can you rank Dan Hampton ahead of him? C'mon! Lilly missed ONE game in 14 years. He's on the 75th Anniversary All-Century Team.

Many over Tarkenton... and Lilly was great, but I just don't see him as a game-breaker.

Bob Lilly was a force to be reckoned with. He faced double and triple teams every game.

but I just don't see him as a game-breaker.

:confused:

I really don't know how to respond to that.

20.J.G.18 said:
Bob Lilly was a force to be reckoned with. He faced double and triple teams every game.

:confused:

I really don't know how to respond to that.

and the others hadn't? The difference is their effectiveness even when double and triple teamed. This can't just be credited to the player though, alot of that falls on the coaches playcalling, and his ability to utilize the free men.

Kid, you are 15. How much of Bob Lilly did you see? I'm old enough to have seen him play and listen to me, Bob Lilly was a dominant player. He was arguably THE best player in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball in the 1960's. Your a Dolphin fan, pop in a tape of Superbowl 6. Lilly was a monster.

Dan Hampton is a borderline HOF'er-I honestly don't think he belongs. He's no better then say, Dave Butz.

He's not on the same planet as Lilly. Sorry.

Lilly

...But don't take my word for it. Here is his profile from TSN 100 Greatest Players. He is ranked #10:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/100/10.html

He is known affectionately as Mr. Cowboy -- the first draft pick in Dallas franchise history, the team's first All-Pro, first Pro Bowl selection, first Ring of Honor member and first Hall of Famer. But Bob Lilly also is known in many football circles as the greatest defensive tackle ever to put on a uniform, the centerpiece for the late-1960s Doomsday defenses that helped an expansion team reach championship heights.

Lilly was a 6-5, 260-pound time bomb that exploded into furious action every time the ball was snapped. Nobody his size could match the combination of incredible strength and quickness that allowed him to fight through blocks, chase down ballcarriers from sideline-to-sideline and pressure quarterbacks into errant throws. Double- and triple-team blocking schemes failed to neutralize Lilly's furious rush and many a competent blocker was brushed aside like a giant gnat.

An All-American at Texas Christian University, Lilly was the foundation upon which an expansion powerhouse was built. He arrived in 1961 with his sleepy, country-boy looks and began a 14-season run in which he never missed a regular-season game while earning 11 Pro Bowl selections and a remarkable eight All-NFL citations.

Lilly was a student of the game, a player who constantly studied film and worked to improve his technique. What he might have lacked in intensity he more than made up for with hard work and a desire to be the best. As the team's talent level rose quickly in the mid-1960s, so did his championship hopes -- aspirations that were fulfilled with six NFL/NFC title game appearances, two Super Bowl appearances and a championship after the 1971 season.

Back
Top Bottom