Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL | Page 22 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL

Its not that. Its the fact that special teams reps, which have no barring on making him a better mike, robbed him of experience and playing time that is vital for him to grow as a mike.

I'm aware of that. We can go around in circles all day talking about injuries. They happen in practice. They happen in games. They even happen at home when a guy slips in the shower. It sucks b/c we were expecting McMillan to help fill the void of shitty defensive play and now this has to be remedied by someone else.

It is what it is.

I'm aware of that. We can go around in circles all day talking about injuries. They happen in practice. They happen in games. They even happen at home when a guy slips in the shower. It sucks b/c we were expecting McMillan to help fill the void of ****ty defensive play and now this has to be remedied by someone else.

It is what it is.
Thats fair. It is what it is. Hopefully someone steps up and plays adequately. At least whatever happens this year wont be a shock. If they win 10+ games it wouldnt surprise me but if they lose 10+ games it wont shock me either. Youll know if you have a generational coach at the end of this year.

Thats fair. It is what it is. Hopefully someone steps up and plays adequately. At least whatever happens this year wont be a shock. If they win 10+ games it wouldnt surprise me but if they lose 10+ games it wont shock me either. Youll know if you have a generational coach at the end of this year.

If players are dropping like flies there's only so much Gase can do. It's up to Tannenbaum and Grier to provide the team with adequate depth.

It's not on point because he was hurt right away, but the four game pre-season schedule is asinine and just a money grab. Yiu play 16 regular season games and you need a quarter of that for pre-season? If advanced aliens swooshed down and saw this, they'd pat us on the heads and say "silly little simple humans." They need two games MAX but it's the owners method of cranking cash out for garbage product. And I don't think you need an 18 game regular season either. Two much attrition, it' savage. 16 regular season and two pre-season, done.

I think aliens would be more perplexed as to why we are wasting so much time watching a silly game in the first place rather than how many preseason games there are

If players are dropping like flies there's only so much Gase can do. It's up to Tannenbaum and Grier to provide the team with adequate depth.
Oh I agree with that. Im just saying that if the dolphins have a good year in spite of whats happened you know Gase is the real deal without a shadow of doubt.

Oh I agree with that. Im just saying that if the dolphins have a good year in spite of whats happened you know Gase is the real deal without a shadow of doubt.

Perhaps. If Miami doesn't have a good year the blame can't be place solely on him either.

Perhaps. If Miami doesn't have a good year the blame can't be place solely on him either.
No not at all. I just think a good year points to him being a potential generational coach. A bad year is almost expected at this point I feel like.

My response to that would be "you're a Jet now... A COUPLA PICKS, NOW GTFO!!!"
Thanks for the payday. An employer can't make your health decisions like that and it would be a lawsuit. Not in the NFL or in life. Further, does Gase have a medical degree and experience to trump the doctors he likely consulted with in making his decision? Do you? I'm gonna take a wild guess and say no.

Side note: most players don't give a **** where they end up playing, so long as they're paid. He'd probably laugh at that and say, "sweet, NYC and the exposure it brings will pay big."

Reshad Jones is ultra talented. Lets put him on punt return while we are at it.

Putting McMillan on specials was not necessary. He was supposed to be learning so he could play more than 50 percent of snaps. And now that cant happen all because he just had to be on punt coverage.

Reshad Jones played specials teams as a rookie btw.

I was talking more about specials where he would be tackling and not blocking, but point taken.

And I get it. I do. I would just like to go on record and say from this point forward I would rather see fringe guys on special teams in preseason games rather than starters you know can handle the job due to everything I posted above. I know hindsight is 20/20 and it does make this conversation a bit removed from reality ... but you're gonna have to take my word for it that I'd have this exact same position before the injury.

Let the guys trying to make the team kill each other on specials in the preseason and save the starters for meaningful snaps when the games matter.

This is exactly the point, we didn't know he could handle that job, because he was a rookie and we needed to get film on him actually doing it and he needed snaps to get better at it. As had been stated, Chef would have been counted on this season for coverage teams (at the least), and you don't want scrubs out there because special teams are actually sorta important. It makes no sense at all to have a guy like Chase Allen out there to start on special teams when he's not very likely to make the actual team, that's what the fourth quarter of preseason games is for.

I understand that everyone is all in their feelings because we lost Chef, and he was expected to play a big role for us this year, but we've not actually seen him play a single snap of defense in a game this year, so the reality is that we don't know what he would of brought to the team. What would people have been saying if the same thing happened to Dion Jordan??? "Oh no, we lost a top three pick, he was going to be awesome for our defense this year". I'm certainly not saying that Chef is going to be anywhere close to the dumpster fire that Jordan was, just saying that a little perspective is in order. There is no way to know how a rookie is going to play in the NFL until he actually does it.

I understand everyone is a bit punch drunk from all of the injuries we've had at key positions, myself included (I actually reverted back to my old user name!), but saying the Chef injury is on Gase is misguided and unrealistic.

This is exactly the point, we didn't know he could handle that job, because he was a rookie and we needed to get film on him actually doing it and he needed snaps to get better at it. As had been stated, Chef would have been counted on this season for coverage teams (at the least), and you don't want scrubs out there because special teams are actually sorta important. It makes no sense at all to have a guy like Chase Allen out there to start on special teams when he's not very likely to make the actual team, that's what the fourth quarter of preseason games is for.

I understand that everyone is all in their feelings because we lost Chef, and he was expected to play a big role for us this year, but we've not actually seen him play a single snap of defense in a game this year, so the reality is that we don't know what he would of brought to the team. What would people have been saying if the same thing happened to Dion Jordan??? "Oh no, we lost a top three pick, he was going to be awesome for our defense this year". I'm certainly not saying that Chef is going to be anywhere close to the dumpster fire that Jordan was, just saying that a little perspective is in order. There is no way to know how a rookie is going to play in the NFL until he actually does it.

I understand everyone is a bit punch drunk from all of the injuries we've had at key positions, myself included (I actually reverted back to my old user name!), but saying the Chef injury is on Gase is misguided and unrealistic.

It's funny, you disagree with me but use the exact argument as to why it was a bad idea as evidence to support your point.

We don't know what he will bring now because he got hurt before he got a snap in base defense. I'm pretty sure the staff was confident the former 5 star prospect who was captain of an elite OSU defense that we drafted in the 2nd round and was slated to start in the middle for us as a rookie could handle specials ... if he couldn't then the entire football world apparently missed on this kid. What would've been nice to see is how he handled live action in the middle of an NFL defense ... which is still a complete unknown because of an iffy block on the first snap of the preseason. I don't think starters should be playing those downs at all ... especially during the preseason ... but that's a different conversation.

It does makes sense to start Chase Allen there because those limited plays in the preseason will determine if he makes the team. A larger sample than the 4th quarter of a couple games would be nice, don't you think?

I don't blame Gase. I simply disagree with this one decision ... that I understand isn't uncommon. My singular opinion is that it would be more beneficial for teams to use guys trying to make the team on specials during the preseason.

It's funny, you disagree with me but use the exact argument as to why it was a bad idea as evidence to support your point.

We don't know what he will bring now because he got hurt before he got a snap in base defense. I'm pretty sure the staff was confident the former 5 star prospect who was captain of an elite OSU defense that we drafted in the 2nd round and was slated to start in the middle for us as a rookie could handle specials ... if he couldn't then the entire football world apparently missed on this kid. What would've been nice to see is how he handled live action in the middle of an NFL defense ... which is still a complete unknown because of an iffy block on the first snap of the preseason. I don't think starters should be playing those downs at all ... especially during the preseason ... but that's a different conversation.

It does makes sense to start Chase Allen there because those limited plays in the preseason will determine if he makes the team. A larger sample than the 4th quarter of a couple games would be nice, don't you think?

I don't blame Gase. I simply disagree with this one decision ... that I understand isn't uncommon. My singular opinion is that it would be more beneficial for teams to use guys trying to make the team on specials during the preseason.

Having "confidence" in something is the same as having hope, it is not the same as knowing.

Saying that a guy was a 5 star recruit in high school has absolutely no bearing on professional production. There are MANY 5 star high school guys that are not even drafted, let alone end up productive in the pros.

Every year there are MANY draft picks that flame out in the pros, just go back and look at any draft. There are top 5, top 10 guys that bust every single year, let alone second round picks.

Guys like Chase Allen only get a limited amount of snaps to try a prove themselves, there's only so many snaps to go around, and the guys that you have invested more in get their snaps first. It's not fair, it's just the nature of the beast, that's why it is incumbent upon them to "flash" when they get an opportunity, because that is the best way to get more opportunities. While preseason is a chance for guys trying to make the team, it's also the time for the new/young guys that will actually be playing to get reps and improve their technique, which is ultimately more beneficial to the product on the field when the games count.

I had high hopes for Chef as well, but you can't keep guys in bubble wrap because you hope they are going to be special, they actually have to go out and do it.

At the end of the day, the preseason is glorified practice, that's why you see guys that have already proven themselves sitting out for much or even most of the preseason. But until you have proven yourself, that practice is necessary.

Wonderful.

I'm so glad I stayed away from all football news since before Thursday's game.

Allowed me the joy of seeing the ****ery on NFL Network this morning with my own eyes. :facepalm

Back
Top Bottom