Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL | Page 20 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL

Zach and JT weren't 2nd round picks, and immediate starters, at a critical position. You're basically saying that all rookies should play special teams simply because they are rookies. There are exceptions however, like I personally don't believe it would have been smart for Carolina to play Kuechly on specials just because he was a rookie, knowing how good he is and how improtant he is to that team, even as a rookie. Raekwon isn't on that level and not a first round pick, but a lot more valuable out of the gate than JT and Zach were. Wasn't worth the risk, we needed him at mike this season, now we're in deep s***. But I've got baseball so I'm kool lol.

It's football and players get injured. If he had gotten injured on his first play playing defense who's fault is it then? The D.C?

We've established it is a normal thing. I was saying that there are exceptions. This team is ultra thin at linebacker. To the point where the starting three linebackers shouldn't see the field if its not on defense. We know its normal for rookies to play special teams. But at some point there's a risk versus reward and the risk highly outweighed the reward in this situation.

Ultra thin at LB? I mean even without Misi, 6 LB positions were pretty much set in stone. Now you take a hit, like any other team would, when you lose a player you expect to start . . . but there really was no risk here. Raekwon was gonna play a ton of special teams this year unless either Kiko or Timmons went down.

Kuechely was a top 10 pick and 3 down LB who would see literally 100% of the defensive snaps. Raekwon was likely going to see under 50% of the snaps. There is a big difference man.

I agree, but still as s***** as our LB corps has been in recent years, risking McMillian on specials is a risk I wouldn't have taken at any point this season. To each their own, GO NATS! I'm f****** done with this injury laden sport until week 1, and even then my enthusiasm has been cut in half, purely due to 3 injuries smfh.

It's football and players get injured. If he had gotten injured on his first play playing defense who's fault is it then? The D.C?
No, because he was playing the position he was supposed to be. At that point it is football and a bad break. But this was just a bad move by the staff having him out there. The risk far outweighed the reward. Had we signed timmons and brown then I could totally agree with him being on special teams. But he was needed in the middle of the defense this year.

A whole lot has changed in football since the days of Zach and JT ...

My question is you have a bunch of bodies at LB trying to make the team. They are trying to make it as a back up ... and one way you do that is prove your worth on specials. Why is the starting middle LB playing specials in a preseason game when you're trying to whittle 9 down to like 6 ... determined largely by how they look on specials?

It's a high risk, zero reward situation - and it doesn't even make sense, to boot. I don't care if it's not uncommon practice. I would like to know why, in this instance, something like this is even considered logical at all.

My question is you have a bunch of bodies at LB trying to make the team. They are trying to make it as a back up ... and one way you do that is prove your worth on specials. Why is the starting middle LB playing specials in a preseason game when you're trying to whittle 9 down to like 6 ... determined largely by how they look on specials?

It's a high risk, zero reward situation - and it doesn't even make sense, to boot. I don't care if it's not uncommon practice. I would like to know why, in this instance, something like this is even considered logical at all.

because its football and thats the way it is! lol

In the same way there's a difference between a 5th rounder (ZT) and Rae. I respect your opinion but I just can't see having him out there as a smart move on any level. Agree to disagree

Yea but Zach was a day 1 starter who played in an era where the base defense was the standard so he played in damn near all the snaps.

Raekwon is playing in an era where the nickel CB takes him off the field much more often and teams need guys to play special teams due to the 46 man rosters. You'd be crazy to have this talented kid sit on the bench and not give you anything on special teams.

It is not classified to be a considered a smart move or not . . . it is a necessary move.

Yea but Zach was a day 1 starter who played in an era where the base defense was the standard so he played in damn near all the snaps.

Raekwon is playing in an era where the nickel CB takes him off the field much more often and teams need guys to play special teams due to the 46 man rosters. You'd be crazy to have this talented kid sit on the bench and not give you anything on special teams.

It is not classified to be a considered a smart move or not . . . it is a necessary move.
Reshad Jones is ultra talented. Lets put him on punt return while we are at it.

Putting McMillan on specials was not necessary. He was supposed to be learning so he could play more than 50 percent of snaps. And now that cant happen all because he just had to be on punt coverage.

Yes things have changed a lot. Zach played in a base defense where the MLB was the star, played all the snaps . . . . and yet he still took his rookie ass out there in preseason and played special teams.

So now the rookie LB who will play far less snaps should be prevented from doing that?

He was playing specials on the first kickoff because all the players who start (including core special teamers) were going to get a few reps this game.

Reshad Jones is ultra talented. Lets put him on punt return while we are at it.

Putting McMillan on specials was not necessary. He was supposed to be learning so he could play more than 50 percent of snaps. And now that cant happen all because he just had to be on punt coverage.

Special teams now prevents you from learning to play the defense? Come on man. He can't even get a beer after the game, I'm pretty sure running out on special teams and than lining up to play LB wasn't going to hurt him. (apparantely it did jokes commence)

He would of gotten a lot of reps last night and I certainly hate this injury but this is just a ridiculous conversation to be quite honest.

Yes things have changed a lot. Zach played in a base defense where the MLB was the star, played all the snaps . . . . and yet he still took his rookie *** out there in preseason and played special teams.

So now the rookie LB who will play far less snaps should be prevented from doing that?

He was playing specials on the first kickoff because all the players who start (including core special teamers) were going to get a few reps this game.

I get all that. But I also get there's only 3 or 4 LBers that play kick off and there are at least that many on the current roster who are unknowns. Wouldn't it benefit the dolphins more to see what they have in all the fringe guys before trotting out the starting MLB on the opening kickoff of the first preseason game? What's the reward of this questionable decision? ... because I can tell you what the risk is.

Special teams now prevents you from learning to play the defense? Come on man. He can't even get a beer after the game, I'm pretty sure running out on special teams and than lining up to play LB wasn't going to hurt him.

He would of gotten a lot of reps last night and I certainly hate this injury but this is just a ridiculous conversation to be quite honest.

You cant replace playing experience and he wont get that now. Im not saying he cant learn because he tore his knee. But he cant get that experience he needed to become that 3 down baker now because of him being on special teams was so important.

Running out on special teams quite literally hurt him. It ended his season before he even got to line up at the position he was drafted for.

I already clarified what i was meaning in another post. And yes, you did say I shouldn't post if that was going to be my take on things.

It's one thing to have an opinion on something but when it's as ludicrous as you saying you've lost faith in Gase b/c of football players getting injured on his watch, there may be other avenues you'd be better off pursuing.

It's one thing to have an opinion on something but when it's as ludicrous as you saying you've lost faith in Gase b/c of football players getting injured on his watch, there may be other avenues you'd be better off pursuing.

You clearly didnt read the post I was referring to.

I lost faith because both of these injuries could have been avoided by listening to the majority of doctors (tannehill) and having McMillan not play on punt coverage. Look if Gase had zero control over Tannehills surgery option then fine, not on him. And its not like we will ever know what kind of say he had in the decision. So ill recant that statement and put that on frustration from last night. But the McMillan injury was 100 percent on him. Putting him out there when we are already thin at linebacker wasnt smart plain and simple. If he got the injury playing mike last night, then tough luck its football. But he should have never been in that position to begin with to get hurt.

Back
Top Bottom