Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL | Page 19 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL

I get the old "thats just the way it is" football argument from the 60's but don't you have to evolve with the game and know your personnel? You just had Misi retire you have a bunch of scrubs behind your starters. Run somebody else out there and protect your few assets on D. This is on the staff IMO

I get the old "thats just the way it is" football argument from the 60's but don't you have to evolve with the game and know your personnel? You just had Misi retire you have a bunch of scrubs behind your starters. Run somebody else out there and protect your few assets on D. This is on the staff IMO
Amen

honest question, who here has even seen the kid play yet. So many people on here are jumping off the cliff, have any of you even seen him play or is this just based off of tweets.

So have a guy who is scheduled to be a key factor on special teams all year, not practice special teams in the preseason at all? That doesn't seem logical if you ask me.

It can't be stressed enough, even though he was our starting MLB . . . we were likely going to be in nickel in a higher percentage of defensive snaps and that would limit his overall snaps as our nickel LBs were slated to be Timmons and Kiko.

McMillan was probably going to be on every special teams play this season.

Yes it is a tough loss for our defense, but this idea that the staff should of not played him on special teams in the preseason is pure ****ery.

So have a guy who is scheduled to be a key factor on special teams all year, not practice special teams in the preseason at all? That doesn't seem logical if you ask me.

It can't be stressed enough, even though he was our starting MLB . . . we were likely going to be in nickel in a higher percentage of defensive snaps and that would limit his overall snaps as our nickel LBs were slated to be Timmons and Kiko.

Yes it is a tough loss for our defense, but this idea that the staff should of not played him on special teams in the preseason is pure ****ery.
No he shouldnt have been on special teams period. Thats the problem. Not that he was practicing something he was scheduled for. Its the fact he was scheduled for special teams at all.

No he shouldnt have been on special teams period. Thats the problem. Not that he was practicing something he was scheduled for. Its the fact he was scheduled for special teams at all.

In what universe do you think a 2nd round LB, slated to play in less than half of the defensive snaps, just sits around the whole game not doing special teams?

It has been well documented that both Zach and JT played special teams early in their careers and they started on defense. This is an extremely normal thing.

I'll take Gase's judgement on what his rookie needed over your opinion. Sucks he got injured but it's football.

In what universe do you think a 2nd round LB, slated to play in less than half of the defensive snaps, just sits around the whole game not doing special teams?

It has been well documented that both Zach and JT played special teams early in their careers and they started on defense. This is an extremely normal thing.
We've established it is a normal thing. I was saying that there are exceptions. This team is ultra thin at linebacker. To the point where the starting three linebackers shouldn't see the field if its not on defense. We know its normal for rookies to play special teams. But at some point there's a risk versus reward and the risk highly outweighed the reward in this situation.

IMO he's not a special teams player. Has he ever even played special teams? He was a 5 start recruit at one point I doubt he's played a lot of special teams in his career so running him out there at the highest level of specials seems like a bad idea to me. This whole team is filled with "special teams" type linebackers. Let them do that work.

Zach and JT weren't 2nd round picks, and immediate starters, at a critical position. You're basically saying that all rookies should play special teams simply because they are rookies. There are exceptions however, like I personally don't believe it would have been smart for Carolina to play Kuechly on specials just because he was a rookie, knowing how good he is and how improtant he is to that team, even as a rookie. Raekwon isn't on that level and not a first round pick, but a lot more valuable out of the gate than JT and Zach were. Wasn't worth the risk, we needed him at mike this season, now we're in deep s***. But I've got baseball so I'm kool lol.

Zach and JT weren't 2nd round picks, and immediate starters, at a critical position. You're basically saying that all rookies should play special teams simply because they are rookies. There are exceptions however, like I personally don't believe it would have been smart for Carolina to play Kuechly on specials just because he was a rookie, knowing how good he is and how improtant he is to that team, even as a rookie. Raekwon isn't on that level and not a first round pick, but a lot more valuable out of the gate than JT and Zach were. Wasn't worth the risk, we needed him at mike this season, now we're in deep s***. But I've got baseball so I'm kool lol.

Kuechely was a top 10 pick and 3 down LB who would see literally 100% of the defensive snaps. Raekwon was likely going to see under 50% of the snaps. There is a big difference man.

Kuechely was a top 10 pick and 3 down LB who would see literally 100% of the defensive snaps. Raekwon was likely going to see under 50% of the snaps. There is a big difference man.

In the same way there's a difference between a 5th rounder (ZT) and Rae. I respect your opinion but I just can't see having him out there as a smart move on any level. Agree to disagree

IMO he's not a special teams player. Has he ever even played special teams? He was a 5 start recruit at one point I doubt he's played a lot of special teams in his career so running him out there at the highest level of specials seems like a bad idea to me. This whole team is filled with "special teams" type linebackers. Let them do that work.

He was extremely active on special teams at Ohio State . . . and this was with him starting at MLB and being a key defensive playmaker on much more than 50% of the snaps.

Back
Top Bottom