Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL | Page 21 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL

I get all that. But I also get there's only 3 or 4 LBers that play kick off and there are at least that many on the current roster who are unknowns. Wouldn't it benefit the dolphins more to see what they have in all the fringe guys before trotting out the starting MLB on the opening kickoff of the first preseason game? What's the reward of this questionable decision? ... because I can tell you what the risk is.

Of course, and they did that all night. Its like watching Landry getting hurt on the first play or even somebody like Reshad. The outcry would of been worse than this. Raekwon wasn't going to bash heads all night on special teams . . . but he certainly was going to be a key special teamer all year long so why not trot him out there on the first punt of the year and let him get his feet wet.

If that is the philosophy we are gonna take than we may as well not even bother with the preseason . . . but that is a whole other argument in itself.

Of course, and they did that all night. Its like watching Landry getting hurt on the first play or even somebody like Reshad. The outcry would of been worse than this. Raekwon wasn't going to bash heads all night on special teams . . . but he certainly was going to be a key special teamer all year long so why not trot him out there on the first punt of the year and let him get his feet wet.

If that is the philosophy we are gonna take than we may as well not even bother with the preseason . . . but that is a whole other argument in itself.

Again, I get that and agree. I'll try and be more specific, using last night as an example. We scored 23 points, resulting in 4 kickoffs. I believe we punted 6 times. Not too out of the norm. So 10 plays to figure out which fringe guys you like enough on specials to get a roster spot. Wouldn't you want to have the largest sample size at your disposal to make this decision? Wouldn't an extra snap for let's say a Chase Allen be more beneficial than one for the Chef ... who you already have a pretty damn good idea is competely capable of handling these duties? I'm just trying to look at this objectively as possible without using history as a barometer.

There's a huge risk in the decision that was made. I'm just failing to see a reward ... getting his feet wet isn't really ringing that bell.

You cant replace playing experience and he wont get that now. Im not saying he cant learn because he tore his knee. But he cant get that experience he needed to become that 3 down baker now because of him being on special teams was so important.

Running out on special teams quite literally hurt him. It ended his season before he even got to line up at the position he was drafted for.

You said he wouldn't learn while playing special teams did you not?

You said he wouldn't learn while playing special teams did you not?
I mean he isnt learning how to play Mike backer on punt coverage is he?
I said he wont get that playing experience now because hes hurt. Which was a result of him being on special teams. He doesnt need to be on punt coverage to learn to be the best he can at linebacker.

Again, I get that and agree. I'll try and be more specific, using last night as an example. We scored 23 points, resulting in 4 kickoffs. I believe we punted 6 times. Not too out of the norm. So 10 plays to figure out which fringe guys you like enough on specials to get a roster spot. Wouldn't you want to have the largest sample size at your disposal to make this decision? Wouldn't an extra snap for let's say a Chase Allen be more beneficial than one for the Chef ... who you already have a pretty damn good idea is competely capable of handling these duties? I'm just trying to look at this objectively as possible without using history as a barometer.

There's a huge risk in the decision that was made. I'm just failing to see a reward ... getting his feet wet isn't really ringing that bell.

You also have Atlanta's punts and points, plus both kickoffs to start the halfs. So lets say roughly 20 special teams plays.

I think Miami would like to see a guy who really has looked good in camp playing special teams get a rep or two in his first ever preseason game, in addition to playing quite a bit of LB as well.

I mean this happens so often and it really is being overanalyzed because of the injury. I guarantee you not one person says a thing about him being on special teams if he doesn't get hurt. It really makes it difficult to have a balanced conversation on it because hindsight has been thrown out the window.

I mean of course no team would put a starter out there if they knew they were gonna get hurt the next play. Its football and **** happens.

I mean he isnt learning how to play Mike backer on punt coverage is he?
I said he wont get that playing experience now because hes hurt. Which was a result of him being on special teams. He doesnt need to be on punt coverage to learn to be the best he can at linebacker.

How long does punt coverage take? 2 minutes? He wouldn't be coached up on the sidelines the entire time he's on the bench.

How long does punt coverage take? 2 minutes? He wouldn't be coached up on the sidelines the entire time he's on the bench.
Its not that. Its the fact that special teams reps, which have no barring on making him a better mike, robbed him of experience and playing time that is vital for him to grow as a mike.

Its not that. Its the fact that special teams reps, which have no barring on making him a better mike, robbed him of experience and playing time that is vital for him to grow as a mike.

Because he got hurt . . . not because he is incapable of playing special teams while still getting the necessary experience at MLB.

You also have Atlanta's punts and points, plus both kickoffs to start the halfs. So lets say roughly 20 special teams plays.

I think Miami would like to see a guy who really has looked good in camp playing special teams get a rep or two in his first ever preseason game, in addition to playing quite a bit of LB as well.

I mean this happens so often and it really is being overanalyzed because of the injury. I guarantee you not one person says a thing about him being on special teams if he doesn't get hurt. It really makes it difficult to have a balanced conversation on it because hindsight has been thrown out the window.

I mean of course no team would put a starter out there if they knew they were gonna get hurt the next play. Its football and **** happens.

I was talking more about specials where he would be tackling and not blocking, but point taken.

And I get it. I do. I would just like to go on record and say from this point forward I would rather see fringe guys on special teams in preseason games rather than starters you know can handle the job due to everything I posted above. I know hindsight is 20/20 and it does make this conversation a bit removed from reality ... but you're gonna have to take my word for it that I'd have this exact same position before the injury.

Let the guys trying to make the team kill each other on specials in the preseason and save the starters for meaningful snaps when the games matter.

Ok, I'll settle all this now. He's gone for the year and blaming anything or anyone will not bring him back this season. Somebody else will play and that's that. It sucks but there's nothing anybody can do about it. I'm looking forward to next thursday and see who starts and how the defense plays overall. Normally the starters go at least one full quarter in the 2nd game. I believe our best option is Hull inside with Timmons and Kiko outside.....that's just my opinion but we'll see. Do yourselves a favor and don't drive yourselvels crazy over who's injured. You can't help it so move on.

Ozzy rules!!

Because he got hurt . . . not because he is incapable of playing special teams while still getting the necessary experience at MLB.

I was talking more about specials where he would be tackling and not blocking, but point taken.

And I get it. I do. I would just like to go on record and say from this point forward I would rather see fringe guys on special teams in preseason games rather than starters you know can handle the job due to everything I posted above. I know hindsight is 20/20 and it does make this conversation a bit removed from reality ... but you're gonna have to take my word for it that I'd have this exact same position before the injury.

Let the guys trying to make the team kill each other on specials in the preseason and save the starters for meaningful snaps when the games matter.

He summed it up well.

Kuechely was a top 10 pick and 3 down LB who would see literally 100% of the defensive snaps. Raekwon was likely going to see under 50% of the snaps. There is a big difference man.

I believe Kuechely did play some special teams as a rookie too.

Back
Top Bottom