Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL | Page 18 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Andy Slater - Dolphins believe rookie LB Raekwon McMillan tore his ACL

I dont see that written in the rules anywhere. I get playing rookies on special teams. I get thats a typical thing. But when said rookie is about the only worthy option to play a position of need you dont throw him out there on special teams. You dont put tannehill on punt coverage do you? Ajayi? Wake? Not saying hes on the level of those players yet but hes as valuable at that postion as almost anyone right now simply because we are sooooo thin. We NEEDED him at mike. We didnt need him on punt coverage.
your just emotional about this. You can't say the guy is the only option when he hasn't even played an NFL down yet. Kiko, while not an ideal MIKE, is capable of filling in and playing it, Hull is capable, and Timmons could in a pinch as well even if he did lose some speed. I get why your upset but it sounds like your argument is more emotional than factually.

Also, Ajayi doesn't play special teams as he isn't good at them. Part of the reason he was benched at the beginning of last year is because he doesn't play special teams and as Gase said, "we need our runningbacks to play special teams." And Tannehill not playing on special teams is a terrible argument. Quarterbacks don't play special teams unless they are holding the ball on field goals, and correct me if I'm wrong but I know Wake was a great special teams player at Penn State and was used early on here in a special teams role.

your just emotional about this. You can't say the guy is the only option when he hasn't even played an NFL down yet. Kiko, while not an ideal MIKE, is capable of filling in and playing it, Hull is capable, and Timmons could in a pinch as well even if he did lose some speed. I get why your upset but it sounds like your argument is more emotional than factually.

Also, Ajayi doesn't play special teams as he isn't good at them. Part of the reason he was benched at the beginning of last year is because he doesn't play special teams and as Gase said, "we need our runningbacks to play special teams." And Tannehill not playing on special teams is a terrible argument. Quarterbacks don't play special teams unless they are holding the ball on field goals....

I was giving examples of players that are important to the success of the team. And there are players more important than others. Those two guys are capable linebackers. But there inst a third. Its why they drafted McMillan. If Hull was capable McMillan probably would not have been the second round pick.

Sh** does happen. Its putting yourself in a position to keep out of the sh** that he needs to work on. I think he is going to be great for this team, but his youth was shown from this.

Agreed, he a youngin fo sho. Still 1 billion times better than queasy joe.

I was giving examples of players that are important to the success of the team. And there are players more important than others. Those two guys are capable linebackers. But there inst a third. Its why they drafted McMillan. If Hull was capable McMillan probably would not have been the second round pick.
yes but they are veteran players, it's how the league has worked for over 50 years. You play special teams until you establish yourself and the kid hasnt played a down yet. The perk we have at linebacker is how versatile Timmons and Kiko are. Both Hewitt and Hull are capable of stepping in.

I know that the roster had a rookie LB that has never played an NFL snap.
Correct, But can we agree its not much of stretch to assume he would have been the best LB? Considered our Corps was the absolute worst in the league last year?

Not once did I say you shouldn't post your opinion. But when it's as baseless as you stating you've lost faith in Adam Gase already what really is the point? How do injuries, which happen in sports, get you to lose faith in a guy who led the team to 10 wins last year with a weaker team? Then you make it seem like it's up to Gase and Gase only to force Tannehill to get surgery. That isn't reality.

My posting history doesn't make me smarter than you or anyone else here. Yet I've never had the audacity to make outlandish statements in a limited time frame on FH.
I already clarified what i was meaning in another post. And yes, you did say I shouldn't post if that was going to be my take on things.

yes but they are veteran players, it's how the league has worked for over 50 years. You play special teams until you establish yourself and the kid hasnt played a down yet. The perk we have at linebacker is how versatile Timmons and Kiko are. Both Hewitt and Hull are capable of stepping in.

There are exceptions to every rule though. I don't know if it happened or not, but would it have been smart for Carolina to put Kuechly on specials when he was a rookie, just because he was a rookie? Some rookie's are extremely valuable to their team, and having them work on specials simply isn't a risk worth taking. In reality it's just not that important, compared to playing a position like MLB which is absolutely vital.

As bad as the linebacking corp was last year and the paper thin depth we had the Dolphins should have doubled up in the draft at linebacker. I said we should have picked two linebackers, two DEs and two OGs but half measures have been a common theme in the draft. Overspend in free agency instead of working the draft. You waste a draft pick on a WR in the 7th round, a position that's deep, with a guy that has no shot of making the team and will be lucky to make the practice squad...could have at least reached for a position of need instead. Chances of a 7th rounder making the team are slim to begin with but at least address the weaknesses of the team not the strengths.

I know that and im not arguing with that. Im just saying sometimes there are exceptions. And this was one of those times in my opinion. If you don't think so that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

Correct, But can we agree its not much of stretch to assume he would have been the best LB? Considered our Corps was the absolute worst in the league last year?
Saying he would be better than , in your mind, the worst doesn't mean he would be good. Again we will never know so it's a moot point.

Back
Top Bottom