armando salguero says we are impressed with c.j spiller | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

armando salguero says we are impressed with c.j spiller

Yo CK I noticed your twitter mentioning Nolan likes Hard Hitters...Spoon come to mind ;)

Yo CK I noticed your twitter mentioning Nolan likes Hard Hitters...Spoon come to mind ;)

So does Spikes. Getting Nolan slightly increased our chances of ending up with Brandon Spikes. I've been told by several people that Miami has their eyes on him. One of them is hooshoops, right here, who says that when he bumped into Ireland during the season they had a conversation and he asked whether Jeff likes Spikes or McClain and he said Spikes, pointing to his physicality. Another source suggested (ok more than suggested) that Spikes himself believes he will be a Dolphin next year.

So does Spikes. Getting Nolan slightly increased our chances of ending up with Brandon Spikes. I've been told by several people that Miami has their eyes on him. One of them is hooshoops, right here, who says that when he bumped into Ireland during the season they had a conversation and he asked whether Jeff likes Spikes or McClain and he said Spikes, pointing to his physicality. Another source suggested (ok more than suggested) that Spikes himself believes he will be a Dolphin next year.

really? hmm...I love the guy but his speed is what concerns me the most.

One thing I have noticed on film, Spikes tends to HIT THE HOLE where as McClain tends to wait than REACT so not sure if its a scheme difference or player difference.

Since when do you need to have two super expensive ILBs in a 3-4 defense?

you don't but the #10 pick isn't exactly huge money imo relative to what even average ilbs (ie ayodele etc...) make when you take out the bonus money...

bottom line is that rookie contract at pick 10 imo is peanuts if the guy becomes a stud in the first 2-3 years of the deal...whatever the position

regarding spoon i'm seeing better fit for a 4-3...he needs clean looks where he can use that quick acceleration to the ball and i don't see a guy who's all that effective getting off blocks at the 2nd level or sifting thru trash...

and that in conference competition gives me pause...no real downhill nfl style running games like you see in the nfl every week in that conference...

1st round talent??? sure...3-4 fit??? i don't know

Spikes and McClain both do a good job of hitting offensive linemen and forcing a decision onto the running back instead of letting the running back make his own choice. However, Spikes is more physical and his hits on OLs stone them better than McClain's, because McClain is still (for better or worse, most often for better) preoccupied with getting to the ball.

you don't but the #10 pick isn't exactly huge money imo relative to what even average ilbs (ie ayodele etc...) make when you take out the bonus money...

bottom line is that rookie contract at pick 10 imo is peanuts if the guy becomes a stud in the first 2-3 years of the deal...

regarding spoon i'm seeing better fit for a 4-3...he needs clean looks where he can use that quick acceleration to the ball and i don't see a guy who's all that effective getting off blocks at the 2nd level or sifting thru trash...

and that in conference competition gives me pause...no real downhill nfl style running games like you see in the nfl every week in that conference...

Expensive isn't just a salary cap term. Having to spend a #10 overall pick on a player makes him expensive.

And I think that Spoon could play in either system.

Expensive isn't just a salary cap term. Having to spend a #10 overall pick on a player makes him expensive.

And I think that Spoon could play in either system.

ok...but which system do you project him a better fit in???

Ima take a look at those Spikes film you got on tube again

i don't see on tape any real issues with spikes speed...he's not as fast as mcclain but i don't see a guy who can't run things down at the next level...

however...i do know there are significant rumors that he will run a very slow 40...we'll see

no matter what spikes does at pick #12 i wouldn't take him...just off the games i've reviewed and the in depth breakdown you guys provided on spikes and mcclain

I just watched the part 1 of 2 and it does nothing than make me wnat to stay away again.

Reminds me of Crowder, HORRIBLE in coverage, slow, and no speed to chase people sideline to sideline. He does do a great job of hitting the hole and O linemen but thats it for me.

I mentioned in another thread Im a UM fan and have seen Spiller kill the canes time and again.

I think the intresting fact about Spiller is he would bring an explosive element to the run game that miami lacks.

Williams,Brown,Hilliard & Cobbs all are similiar in what their stregnths as a RB are mostly power Spiller would bring the Mercury Morris effect to the run game.

I feel there are much greater needs than an explosive running back however I wouldnt be opposed to drafting him, he can return kicks/punts and is like Ted Ginn a threat to score from anywhere on the field.
i cant agree more, in my previous post i talked about spiller , he is a game changer and this trifecta loves explosive players, but i can tell you this there is a good chance if spiller falls to us ,we would get him even though we need defense. he would be the BPA, and i do like spikes better the mcclain IMO

Given our injury problems at RB last year and the iffy future of Brown and soon-to-not-have-a future of Williams, running back is absolutely an area of concern.

Now, I've personally been a fan of Spiller's since his high school days and think he has more potential as an every down back than he's given credit for (maybe not Chris Johnson, but certainly Felix Jones).

But at #12? That's a lot to give up for a guy you're not even sure has a future as a full time or at least half time RB, even for a team that runs the ball as much as we do.

I mean think about next year. Whose touches does he replace?

Cobbs? Sparano's favorite player and key special teamer?

Hilliard? Who only got into games because Cobbs went down and even then only had like three or four carries a game?

Or do you make the backfield some sort of demented three headed thing, with Spiller taking away from both Brown and Williams? So in that case you're talking about activating 4 RBs and getting rid of Hilliard altogether, since after what he showed last year he'd certainly get snatched up by someone. And in that scenario, who do you deactivate to make 53? Clemons? Garner? Haynos?

See what I mean? It's a year too early for a RB that high. There's just no space on the roster until Ricky retires, especially with how versatile Cobbs is.

I'm personally zeroing on the most likely pick being Gresham. He's an elite player at a position of need and is more likely to be there at #12 than Berry. Now of course we'd all prefer Berry. Given our depth at DL he'd be a tempting selection with the #1 overall pick if we had it. But we don't, and there are a bunch of teams ahead of us with problems in the secondary (I personally can't imagine any scenario where he gets past Seattle, Cleveland AND Jacksonville).

As for the whole McClain/Spikes thing -- I just don't think it's going to get figured out until they start testing them athletically. For all the talk of McClain being the slam dunk top ILB, there's simply no way he's a Top 15 pick if he can't run faster than 4.7. Remember, Willis ran a 4.49 at the combine and a 4.37 at his pro day -- both at 240 pounds -- and was the #11 pick. Ridiculous, I know, but it takes ridiculous numbers like that to be taken that high, and I don't see anyone anywhere predicting he'll show anything close to that kind of athleticism.

Also, given the NFL caliber of coaching and the sheer, National Championship talent around him -- most significantly Mount Cody in front of him -- I just don't know why so many people are drooling all over him this early.

And don't take this like I'm some kind of numbers obsessed Al Davis guy. But the truth is that raw speed does matter. Look at how teams figured out all they had to do against us was run simple out routes to the TE against our five man rush. Crowder and Ayodele -- two relatively slow ILBs (Crowder ran a 4.75, I'm pretty sure. Not sure what Ayodele ran, but since he's 31 it doesn't matter anyway. He's slower now than whatever it was) -- couldn't keep up in man coverage. That simple, stupid play killed us all year, especially in the second half when they were both dinged up. It was maddening. But it was the predictable result of having slow ILBs.

Are McClain and Spikes slow ILBs? We'll see. Neither one shows eye popping speed on the field, that's for sure. So I think we should all caution ourselves from simply believing that because they were the defensive leaders of two of the best defenses in college football that they're automatically the two best ILBs in college football. This kind of thing, as experience has shown us, is rarely the case.

Given our injury problems at RB last year and the iffy future of Brown and soon-to-not-have-a future of Williams, running back is absolutely an area of concern.

Now, I've personally been a fan of Spiller's since his high school days and think he has more potential as an every down back than he's given credit for (maybe not Chris Johnson, but certainly Felix Jones).

But at #12? That's a lot to give up for a guy you're not even sure has a future as a full time or at least half time RB, even for a team that runs the ball as much as we do.

I mean think about next year. Whose touches does he replace?

Cobbs? Sparano's favorite player and key special teamer?

Hilliard? Who only got into games because Cobbs went down and even then only had like three or four carries a game?

Or do you make the backfield some sort of demented three headed thing, with Spiller taking away from both Brown and Williams? So in that case you're talking about activating 4 RBs and getting rid of Hilliard altogether, since after what he showed last year he'd certainly get snatched up by someone. And in that scenario, who do you deactivate to make 53? Clemons? Garner? Haynos?

See what I mean? It's a year too early for a RB that high. There's just no space on the roster until Ricky retires, especially with how versatile Cobbs is.

I'm personally zeroing on the most likely pick being Gresham. He's an elite player at a position of need and is more likely to be there at #12 than Berry. Now of course we'd all prefer Berry. Given our depth at DL he'd be a tempting selection with the #1 overall pick if we had it. But we don't, and there are a bunch of teams ahead of us with problems in the secondary (I personally can't imagine any scenario where he gets past Seattle, Cleveland AND Jacksonville).

As for the whole McClain/Spikes thing -- I just don't think it's going to get figured out until they start testing them athletically. For all the talk of McClain being the slam dunk top ILB, there's simply no way he's a Top 15 pick if he can't run faster than 4.7. Remember, Willis ran a 4.49 at the combine and a 4.37 at his pro day -- both at 240 pounds -- and was the #11 pick. Ridiculous, I know, but it takes ridiculous numbers like that to be taken that high, and I don't see anyone anywhere predicting he'll show anything close to that kind of athleticism.

Also, given the NFL caliber of coaching and the sheer, National Championship talent around him -- most significantly Mount Cody in front of him -- I just don't know why so many people are drooling all over him this early.

And don't take this like I'm some kind of numbers obsessed Al Davis guy. But the truth is that raw speed does matter. Look at how teams figured out all they had to do against us was run simple out routes to the TE against our five man rush. Crowder and Ayodele -- two relatively slow ILBs (Crowder ran a 4.75, I'm pretty sure. Not sure what Ayodele ran, but since he's 31 it doesn't matter anyway. He's slower now than whatever it was) -- couldn't keep up in man coverage. That simple, stupid play killed us all year, especially in the second half when they were both dinged up. It was maddening. But it was the predictable result of having slow ILBs.

Are McClain and Spikes slow ILBs? We'll see. Neither one shows eye popping speed on the field, that's for sure. So I think we should all caution ourselves from simply believing that because they were the defensive leaders of two of the best defenses in college football that they're automatically the two best ILBs in college football. This kind of thing, as experience has shown us, is rarely the case.
Felix Jones still has some size to him as well as speed. He is roughly the same height as Spiller (Spiller is 5'11", Jones is 6'), but has about 20 lbs on him (Spiller: 195, Jones: 218). Chris Johnson is probably a more accurate comparison.

Back
Top Bottom