Armando -The Miami Dolphins spent all season dealing with a surprise problem no one could solve | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armando -The Miami Dolphins spent all season dealing with a surprise problem no one could solve

Lack of leadership, lol...FML these beat writers. It couldn't have been a hurricane, a broken QB or a coked up offensive line coach. No, take a dump on the players collectively to fail to become glorified motivational speakers.

Dave+Chappelle.jpg

Word, Branden Albert's leadership vacuum is what messed up our season?

...Then kill yourself.

I love Cam- it's just disappointing that he's seemingly so quiet. He's a guy who certainly has the currency to speak his mind, and he's obviously highly respected. No one works harder. He'd be a natural leader if he wanted to embrace that role.

Wake is always the guy who gives a speech on the sideline before the game. I’ve never seen him as the quiet type.

One more reason I wanted to keep B.A. on the team.

When I discovered that he had actually been receptive to the idea of moving to Left Guard so that Tunsil could take over the LT spot for the future, and that Miami still didn't want him back, that annoyed me.

Very lousy move in hindsight, IMO.

Leadership and teaching tend to be the least valued traits by fans, but some of the most critical for success, development and maturation of your team.

Fans never stop and think about leadership when they are wanting to boot a guy to the curb.

Yet, we have a Center who has been injured more than BA and it was BA that carried the "injury prone" label. A label frequently used by fans to show him the door.

I too knew what we were losing with BA. He was a consummate professional and took Tunsil under his wing. He was the perfect mentor for Tunsil. And he would have slid inside and continued teaching Tunsil. But TB could wait to get his hands on BA's salary cap space.

TB is the reason we are poorly constructed as a team. We have talent. We don't have leaders.

When Branden Albert was not going to be renewed, and we then started looking to trade him, I was one of the few who saw his leadership loss as a major negative. As it turned out, that was correct. While it unfolded differently than I had imagined, it did happen. I had been primarily concerned that Tunsil, lacking the correct veteran leadership, role model and big brother in Albert, would slack off. Well, he did. He lost focus and greatly underperformed everyone's expectations this year. But, he did keep his character on the straight and narrow, which was a major concern of mine. But lacking that big brother and friend direction, he got lazy, less involved, and his play showed it.

Likewise, our failure to invest much into our OL showed, our weaknesses exacerbated when injuries inevitably hit, and the LG spot that Tunsil had admirably filled as a rookie, once again became a flaming hot disaster of unopened run lanes and sketchy pass protection. Our foolish reliance on Bushrod as a starter (and paying him starter money to return), was even worse. If we had kept Albert, Tunsil would have given us good LG play, and a combo of Larsen and Davis would have hugely improved our RG play, to the point we would have been OK. Also, Albert's leadership would have helped develop our young guys like Jesse Davis and Jake Brendel. Poor planning and underfunding of resources. This lead directly to letting Albert go ... and let's face it, he never wanted to play this year anywhere but Miami. We gave him away for nothing, when I'm fairly confident he would have re-negotiated to play in Miami for less. It appears we never really tried, because our eyes were too fixated on getting Tunsil to LT we missed the hole it created in the locker room.

Branden Albert is a class act ... and a much-decorated LT, and a tremendous player. He was missed. Now, the question is whether we learn from this lesson or continue our disturbing trend of throwing inconsistent players at the position, or whether we grow a culture of technically sound guys with a history of staying healthy? Somehow, I'm skeptical.

Tannehill has NEVER been a vocal take-charge guy. We have far too many passive players on our roster when we need alpha male leaders.

and by leadership you mean jump up and down and scream....

The last time our defense had a real leader was Trace Armstrong. JT and Zach were pretty good leaders too but TA was the leader of that defense and of the whole team.
Before him and when Marino was on the team the real leader of that team was Kuechenburg. I'm sure it helped he was in the super bowl teams of 72-73 and then 82-84
The vocal leader we might be looking at now could be TJM if he can stay out of jail and RM? Maybe if he can stay healthy but he'll be in the middle of that defense so

Ozzy rules!!
agree

so like +10 yrs ago

Three first round picks, pro bowler FA’s, mid and late round draft picks and UdFA’s.
I was talking about our reaction to the current OL problem at the last logical time to invest, the past offseason. Not about the last decades decisions. Hope that clarifies. But let's do your analysis just for completeness.

Three first rounders ... hmmm. Let's see, I'm guessing you mean Jake Long who was a great player early but became ravaged by injuries and is now retired ... so that depends on how long back you're going I guess. Then Mike Pouncey, who was the highest drafted center of all time ... that definitely fits your description. Then Ju'Wuan James ... that definitely fits the description too.

But, Pouncey was a reach, over-drafted because of need, over-hyped, then re-signed and over-paid, and who has a real durability issue coupled with difficulty at the point of attack ... at the time I called that a reach, and I stand by that assessment. Ju'Wuan James was a bad pick. I said as much then, and believe as much now. Sure, we wanted Zack Martin, who would have been a phenomenal pick, All-Pro routinely, and an anchor for a dominant run game in Dallas. He has been a fantastic pick ... but we didn't pick him. He was gone, so we reached for James, who isn't even worth signing to his 5th year option. I wouldn't call him a bust per se, but he's been very bad.

FA's, we signed Branden Albert to a big contract, but got rid of him before paying the biggest part ... eating significant dead cap in the process. Bad decision IMHO. At the time, I said we overpaid ... and I stand behind that. But the worst part of it was that our overpayment meant we got rid of him when we still needed him and ate the cap. He LIVED in Miami and was dead-set on playing LT ... and had no other competitive bidders really, so we were just dumb to overpay. We created that problem with a bad investment.

And what did we do this year? Oh yeah, we failed to invest much in the OL and it showed ... as I mentioned. Well, Larsen was a CHEAP pickup, and might have been OK if he could stay healthy. But he was our only real investment. We didn't sign any other financial investment FA's and our draft pick, Asiata, whom I like, was a 5th round pick ... which is definitely not a heavy investment regardless of position. The rest, like Eric Smith, weren't even drafted.

So yeah, this year we failed to invest much into the OL.

In the long term, you have a point that we invested in the position, but that view of the long term included Parcells and Sparano drafing the now-retired Jake Long, and Philbin pushing to overpay for Branden Albert, the previous regime's selection of Mike Pouncey and even Dennis Hickey's selection of Ju'Wuan James (which may have been Tannenbaum so that's worth considering). I'm not sure I'm really prepared to blame the current coaching staff and front office for all of those mistakes.

I was discussing this past offseason, because that's when Gase & Co. knew of the problems and had the time and resources to address them. They chose to sign guys like Branch and Timmons to inflated contracts and leave pocket change for the OL while eating Albert's dead cap. IMHO, those were all bad moves. The fact that we had OL woes for the umpteenth season in a row was ... not surprising. That's all I'm saying.

Tannehill has NEVER been a vocal take-charge guy. We have far too many passive players on our roster when we need alpha male leaders.
"(He's) kind of taking the team on his shoulders and knowing that, hey, we've got to come out here every day and put something great together," wideout Kenny Stills told the team's website. "And if we want to have a chance of being a great team, it's going to come from him and the rest of this offense. He takes pride in that."

"Jonathan Marin grabs Matthews and says something, Mike Pouncey and Brian Hartline each throw in some words, then Tannehill comes in, grabs Matthews, yells "Get the **** off the field,", and forcing the receiver out of the game. If there's a better example of a quarterback taking charge of his team, I don't know about it."

I don't believe Albert was open to playing guard for us. I think that is the reason he retired, they wanted him to move to guard. And before that in KC he threatened to sit out the season if moved from left tackle.

Tannehill a leader? Fake news.

Where is Wake? Suh? Reshad Jones?

Just a bunch of "me" guys throughout this pathetic excuse of a roster.

My first take on this is why are we not looking at Gase here? Gase has said the players aren't smart enough to learn the playbook, he has to dumb it down. The buck stops with Gase as well on all the penalties as well. Gase is the one in control of the locker room supposedly. Wasn't he mentioned as the player's coach?
I just found it odd that we are looking at people who did not step up as leaders, but the HC bares no responsibility.

Tannehill a leader? Fake news.

Where is Wake? Suh? Reshad Jones?

Just a bunch of "me" guys throughout this pathetic excuse of a roster.
Wake, Suh and Jones are perennial all-pros and true professionals. Calling them a “bunch of ‘me’ guys” because they’re introverts is pretty obtuse. I think you need a fourth eye.

The last time our defense had a real leader was Trace Armstrong. JT and Zach were pretty good leaders too but TA was the leader of that defense and of the whole team.
Before him and when Marino was on the team the real leader of that team was Kuechenburg. I'm sure it helped he was in the super bowl teams of 72-73 and then 82-84
The vocal leader we might be looking at now could be TJM if he can stay out of jail and RM? Maybe if he can stay healthy but he'll be in the middle of that defense so

Ozzy rules!!
Tj MacDonald a leader lol lol someone who could possibly be facing jail time. Hahaha hahahaha not the leader I would want

Back
Top Bottom