Armstead expects to return | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armstead expects to return

It doesn't make sense to put 6/1 designations on any player really. I never understood why teams do that if it doesn't free up the money until June...
You can sign your draftees and third wave FAs with this money.

It doesn't help you sign big ticket FAs... but with the knowledge that more money is coming, you know that you'll have in-season money.

Good point about not playing through pain this year.
My hope is that he's motivated by a very slim shot at the HOF - I know it's slim but if he can scrape another awesome year or 2 he might have a slim shot - or at least as a fan - he thinks he has a slim shot and goes all out:)

You can sign your draftees and third wave FAs with this money.

It doesn't help you sign big ticket FAs... but with the knowledge that more money is coming, you know that you'll have in-season money.
True, but I guess I don't understand "designating" it so far in advanced when you really don't have to. You can make the same move after 6/1.

True, but I guess I don't understand "designating" it so far in advanced when you really don't have to. You can make the same move after 6/1.
This allows you to get them out of the building... while allowing the unwanted player to find work.
It limits your risk, and allows the guy to job hunt.
Win/win.

Its because of bonuses and guarantees that would kick in prior to June 1.

In Howards case, these:

• $4M of 2024 salary fully guarantees 3/15/2024 (injury guaranteed at signing)
  • 2024 Roster Bonus: $3M 3/14/2024
Armstead is a little different, his contract is whackadoo.

There was some talk about Armstead maybe retiring; looks like he's giving it another go.
I, for one, am glad. With all the holes to fill, we need him another year. Hopefully he holds up.
For which game will he come back?

It doesn't make sense to put 6/1 designations on any player really. I never understood why teams do that if it doesn't free up the money until June...
Because it spreads the dead money over two years, rather than one, and by doing so you don't have to pay roster or workout bonuses, etc.

Yes, you don't realize the savings until June, but you can use it to sign your draft class.

Whether it makes sense, or not, is largely due to contract structure.

Back
Top Bottom