Armstead expects to return | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armstead expects to return

It's obvious some people don't understand this is actually good for the team.

No further comment, yer honor.
I know - it's like they don't want to deal with reality - they just don't like he's hurt but don't want to really look at the financial implications - it's just he makes a lot of $, he's hurt a lot - so I don't like him and don't want him.

Yeah, I know. But if we resign Lamm, get 10 games out of Armstead, that's probably the best case realistic scenario.
I'm not expecting to get 17-19 games out of him; but with all the other issues re: personnel, I think for this year teaming Lamm, Armstead and Smith is the best way to go, and hopefully after this year Lamm or Smith has developed into a solid starter.
That's best case as I see it.
We'll see I guess. I'd rather draft a center in round 1 this year then the LT next.
Yeah that's best case scenario at this point.

Yeah that's best case scenario at this point.
Yeah, tbh- I didn't want Armstead to begin with, I'm usually adamantly against giving big contracts to or drafting injury-riddled players no matter what.
But the reality of the salary cap, the lack of draft picks, the ? at center, the amount of free agents we're losing, almost make it a practical requirement that this happen. I understand people not wanting him back, but if he'd retire, we'd have a whole other problem.

I really like Fautanu if he is there at 21. Guy has played LT and some scouts think he can play tackle in the NFL. If not a lot of scouts love him as a gaurd prospect. He is the tackle gaurd option.

Barton is another I like. Played everywhere on the OL basically. A lot of LT, but most all scouts have him at Center or gaurd in the NFL. Think he will be a stud center or gaurd. Has the footwork as well for outside zone blocking.
Love the idea of a tackle/guard combo if the FO thinks the guy can legit play tackle in the future. Worked pretty well w/ Tunsil and Albert Wilson back in the day and it seems pretty obvious this is Armstead's last year so if we don't have his replacement on the roster heading into '25 we'll almost be forced to use our first or a bunch of FA $$ on a tackle at that point. Presumably picking in the 20's again next year, getting a quality tackle at that point is no sure thing so if we think we can knock this out at 21 or some trade down scenario I'm all for it.

The financial problem would have been worse if he retired. I think it would have cost us an additional $4 million on the cap this year on top of the $20 million hit he already had if he retired before 6/1. I could be wrong, but a retirement counts the same as a cut on the salary cap if I understand it correctly.
Two things: First, why does the stinkin' salary cap have to be so damn complicated? Each player's yearly salary should be counted against the cap... period. There should be no spreading out of the money over multiple years, and just one year should be guaranteed. Having a contract that is, for example, $100 million over 4 years with $70 million guaranteed makes no sense if the player is gone after 1 or 2 years due to retirement, injury, or being cut, and his salary is still being counted against the cap.

Second, Grier is an idiot. Not only did he sign an injury-prone Armstead in 2022, but he failed to make sure that the roster also had a competent starting quality LT who could play when Armstead misses games, which was/is a 100% certainty. (Grier got lucky in 2023 that Lamm was decent and not terrible.) If that wasn't bad enough, consider the fact that Grier gave an injury-prone player who always misses games every season an expensive, multi-year contract with guaranteed money. IOW, Grier knowingly wrote up a contract which would result in money being counted against the future salary cap if a constantly injured player should no longer be able to play due to injury or retirement. At the time, Armstead was not a young, healthy player... he was a 30 year old, injury-prone veteran. What was Grier thinking? It's no wonder that Miami has salary cap issues.

ITs nice That Armstead returns but that makes me want to draft an OT even more, so he can learn under Armstead for a season. This draft is rich with OL talent. We should focus on capitalizing on that! I still take C/G or OT with my first 2 picks and then likely one more in late rounds.
I agree, if we can do one thing this offseason to give this team a strength we haven't had in eons and a fighting chance at doing anything in terms of real winning it's to build a strong and deep O-line. Then we'll see what Tua can really do with our WR speed and a legit running game.

Love the idea of a tackle/guard combo if the FO thinks the guy can legit play tackle in the future. Worked pretty well w/ Tunsil and Albert Wilson back in the day and it seems pretty obvious this is Armstead's last year so if we don't have his replacement on the roster heading into '25 we'll almost be forced to use our first or a bunch of FA $$ on a tackle at that point. Presumably picking in the 20's again next year, getting a quality tackle at that point is no sure thing so if we think we can knock this out at 21 or some trade down scenario I'm all for it.
pretty sure you meant pick 32:)

Two things: First, why does the stinkin' salary cap have to be so damn complicated? Each player's yearly salary should be counted against the cap... period. There should be no spreading out of the money over multiple years, and just one year should be guaranteed. Having a contract that is, for example, $100 million over 4 years with $70 million guaranteed makes no sense if the player is gone after 1 or 2 years due to retirement, injury, or being cut, and his salary is still being counted against the cap.

Second, Grier is an idiot. Not only did he sign an injury-prone Armstead in 2022, but he failed to make sure that the roster also had a competent starting quality LT who could play when Armstead misses games, which was/is a 100% certainty. (Grier got lucky in 2023 that Lamm was decent and not terrible.) If that wasn't bad enough, consider the fact that Grier gave an injury-prone player who always misses games every season an expensive, multi-year contract with guaranteed money. IOW, Grier knowingly wrote up a contract which would result in money being counted against the future salary cap if a constantly injured player should no longer be able to play due to injury or retirement. At the time, Armstead was not a young, healthy player... he was a 30 year old, injury-prone veteran. What was Grier thinking? It's no wonder that Miami has salary cap issues.
You do realize the amount they signed him to reflected him being older and injury prone? The dude is the 20th highest paid OT in the league - he's certainly not the 20th best T when healthy...

Armstead was part of Grier's all in push here under Tua's rookie contract. We had a bunch of money at the time and a glaring need at LT since AJ never got it going there. So was giving up a bunch of recent picks for game changers on O and D (Reek and Chubb). These were the toppings to the base that was constructed in 2020 and 2021. Since we haven't won anything of consequence it looks like a bad move now later in the deal when he is just older and more brittle and we are still on the hook contractually. If we'd won the division and 2 seed last year, made the AFC championship game, well, maybe we'd look at it differently now. Armstead predictably missed time but so did Hunt, Williams, and the LG from NE who's name is escaping me.

Unfortunately rebuild to date has failed from a real winning standpoint although we are better than the dregs of 2019 and a somewhat entertaining product. In my mind Grier has this year and 2025 to recalibrate the rebuild and make another push while we still have Tyreek but time is running out and frankly I like our chances in '25 better than next year given our current resource deficiency, key injuries heading into the season and just a roster filled w/ gaping holes that likely cannot be remedied in one offseason.

You do realize the amount they signed him to reflected him being older and injury prone? The dude is the 20th highest paid OT in the league - he's certainly not the 20th best T when healthy...
Okay, so he's not the highest paid OT... fair enough. However, the idea that an injury-prone player's salary counts against the cap even if he retires due to too many injuries is just plain dumb.

Okay, so he's not the highest paid OT... fair enough. However, the idea that an injury-prone player's salary counts against the cap even if he retires due to too many injuries is just plain dumb.
I can understand that perspective...

Back
Top Bottom