Armstead expects to return | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Armstead expects to return

Why even say hopefully he holds up. You know damn well he wont.. I'm not trying to sound rude here. I'm just tired of him and all the cap he's taking up just to play not even half the year. I'm over it
McDaniel wrapped him in bubble wrap, dude never practices and still gets hurt.

Is this good news? I mean, the mans all-pro & nobody needs him more but... odds he plays even half of season?

His contract isnt that bad for his position and caliber.

YEARAGEBASE SALARYSIGNINGROSTERROSTER/GMRESTRUCTUREMISC.CAP HITDEAD CAPYEARLY CASHCASH AAV
Contract details by year
31$1,120,000$2,400,000$470,588---$3,990,588$30,120,000$15,234,705($15,234,705)$15,234,705
Contract details by year
32$1,165,000$2,400,000-$764,706$3,958,750$950,000$9,238,456$39,400,000$18,179,407($33,414,112)$16,707,056
Contract details by year
33$13,250,000$2,400,000-$529,407$3,958,750$650,000$20,788,157$24,076,250$14,250,000($47,664,112)$15,888,037
Contract details by year
34$13,300,000$2,400,000-$1,000,000$3,958,750-$20,658,750$12,717,500$14,300,000($61,964,112)$15,491,028
Contract details by year
35$12,330,000$2,400,000$1,000,000$1,000,000$3,958,750-$20,688,750$6,358,750$14,330,000($76,294,112)$15,258,822
24 mil for 7 games?? That's not that bad? What world are you living in? How much money you got bro? Can I borrow some!!

he's also expected to miss 6 or 7 games like he does every year
actually that would be excellent productivity from him. More likely he plays 5 or 6 games...

yet another abysmal move by Grier.

24 mil for 7 games?? That's not that bad? What world are you living in? How much money you got bro? Can I borrow some!!
His contract per his position. Not his availability. They actually structured his contract fairly decently even though it was a huge splash get in FA.

Like it or not, when TA does play he plays very well, injured or not. Let's not forget, he also was the last man standing on that OL, playing 9 of the last 10 games.

In any case, him playing this year, however many games really helps next year's cap situation also.

Yup.

He's a liability.

Doesnt practice with the team and only plays half a season.

Oline is more about cohesion rather than individual performances (and, let's face it, he wasnt that impressive when he actually was on he field.)
he wants that 18 mill though.

He annoyed the hell out of me last year

I'm 100% all-in on drafting a Tackle no later than the second round.
Forcing linemen to play immediately... and NEEDING them to start from day one-- that just isn't smart football.

Draft a Tackle in this, the year of the deep Tackle draft... and let him get some work for a year before you write his name on the lineup card in pen.
ITs nice That Armstead returns but that makes me want to draft an OT even more, so he can learn under Armstead for a season. This draft is rich with OL talent. We should focus on capitalizing on that! I still take C/G or OT with my first 2 picks and then likely one more in late rounds.

Why even say hopefully he holds up. You know damn well he wont.. I'm not trying to sound rude here. I'm just tired of him and all the cap he's taking up just to play not even half the year. I'm over it
Yeah, I know. But if we resign Lamm, get 10 games out of Armstead, that's probably the best case realistic scenario.
I'm not expecting to get 17-19 games out of him; but with all the other issues re: personnel, I think for this year teaming Lamm, Armstead and Smith is the best way to go, and hopefully after this year Lamm or Smith has developed into a solid starter.
That's best case as I see it.
We'll see I guess. I'd rather draft a center in round 1 this year then the LT next.

Yeah, I know. But if we resign Lamm, get 10 games out of Armstead, that's probably the best case realistic scenario.
I'm not expecting to get 17-19 games out of him; but with all the other issues re: personnel, I think for this year teaming Lamm, Armstead and Smith is the best way to go, and hopefully after this year Lamm or Smith has developed into a solid starter.
That's best case as I see it.
We'll see I guess. I'd rather draft a center in round 1 this year then the LT next.

Agree, depending on williams.

Booooohhh! Bad news! 😢 If there was a position I was hoping to replace on our entire OL considering playing output vs salary was that one. I was praying he retires, but now we have another big financial problem to solve as he is not available because he injures just by walking in the field, he is too expensive and our backup actually did a pretty awesome job filling for him. So, couple Tuas contract extension with this bad news and I just don’t see a way to retain our few key good draft picks like Wilkins and Hunt. Also I think we will be totally out of the market for a pass rusher reinforcement. We have few draft picks and we have high needs all over the OL a DT, a pass rusher, a MLB and a CB to replace Howard, and a negative cap space that now has become harder to handle because Mr. Injury has decided he wants to earn lots of million while being available for 6 games a year. No brainer for him but it really sucks for us.
Good take!! We need to get rid of our starting LT (sic) and with our first two round draft choices draft 3-4 new starters on the OL? It only makes sense to create a hole for us to fill in one of our most challenging positions. This is not to mention what losing a expensive starter to an already stretched salary cap might mean.

Last edited:
Gonna be honest here and say that when I read that Armstrong wanted to return, my first thought was disappointment. Not that he isn't a good player when healthy, he is, but it sure did seem he missed a lot of time. To me, that messes with the continuity of the unit and makes it hard to gel. That said, after reading the responses, I learned that maybe his playing another season is for the best. Thanks for the great discussion, y'all!

Gonna be honest here and say that when I read that Armstrong wanted to return, my first thought was disappointment. Not that he isn't a good player when healthy, he is, but it sure did seem he missed a lot of time. To me, that messes with the continuity of the unit and makes it hard to gel. That said, after reading the responses, I learned that maybe his playing another season is for the best. Thanks for the great discussion, y'all!
This is correct in theory but that tackle positions last year were the best part of the OL with or without Armstead in. Yes it would be ideal to NOT have to pay Armstead for production we could get from another player, but the contract is what it is and there were VERY few complaining when we signed him. His injury history was a known commodity before he signed with Miami.

If anything though, we would have been paying an arm and a leg next year for him in dead cap had he retired and we post-June'd him. At least this way we get some production out of him this year and alleviate most of his remaining contract moving forward.

I was all about his retiring also as we could claw some cap space back, but it was a fools errand. He just had too much money sitting on the table to take to not try and push it one more year. For me it's kind of 50/50, would have been fine either way and gonna hope we can keep him healthy somehow.

Back
Top Bottom