Artest gets 30 game suspension | UPDATE - REST OF SEASON | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Artest gets 30 game suspension | UPDATE - REST OF SEASON

Samphin said:
Now wait a minute, you can't villify for fighting then call him a coward when he walks away. It is either one or the other

Yea you can. Wallace would have put Artest in the hospital if they were to fight. However a standard fan is not 6 foot 9 inches and 240 pounds.

Samphin said:
Now wait a minute, you can't villify for fighting then call him a coward when he walks away. It is either one or the other

I don't buy that coward line for a second. Artest was trying to be the better person. Wallace was the punk who started the melee. He got fouled, and it wasn't even a hard foul at that, and because his team was losing, he acted like a child and pushed Artest.

Ron Artest is a fighter, I think part of the reason he snapped the way he did was because he was holding in his anger from Wallace. Ben not only pushed him, but then continued to berate Artest and then threw his little panty headband at him as well, like a little sissy. Ron sat there and took it like a man. Add on that those idiotic and moronic fans are threatening Artest and ultimately led to violence against Artest, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I don't care if it was water or a bucket of acid. When you are blindsided by something from opposing fans you will jump up automatically and go after who did it. It is a human response that when you are attacked, you either fight or run away. Fight or Flight is what it is called. Ron, after all the BS he had to deal with from Wallace and those stupid Detroit thugs, finally snapped after being assaulted.

You cannot "wait for security" when fans do things like this. Teryr Gamboa of the K.C. Royals was jumped by to fans at a White Sox game while coaching first base. You think the players who helped him waited for security? If they had, you all would have calle dthem cowards. Monica Seles was stabbed during a tennis match. You think she wouldn't have pounded the guy if she could have? I guess people who have never been put in that situation just don't get it. I have, and there is no scarier feeling then seeing some fan run up to you, or throw things at you. You have no idea what is going on.

Suppose the thing that hit Artest was a glass bottle and it lacerated his face. Would you then be opposed to him beating the guy who did it? I doubt it. I guarentee that when Ron was hit by the cup, he didn't know what hit him, he just knew he was assaulted and that someone was going to pay for it.

I agree he should be suspended, but Jermaine O'neal shouldn't have and Stephen Jackson's penalty was too harsh as well. If the league really wanted to send a message, they wouldn't allow postseason play to happen in Detroit or Indiana. That would send a profound message to everyone in the league and throughout sports in America in general. Make the team play all of their games on the road, or ban them completely form postseason play. Hell, Stenr already did it to the Pacers.

The worst part is, the crimnal fans wil most likely get off with minor fines. I hope Ron Artest sues that guy in the white hat for all the 12 dollars that guy has.

Again, Artest should have been suspended, but not for an entire year.
fight or flight huh?.....You're absolutely right...... "fight" the fan who throws water at you and "flight" from the MAN who is ready to whip your a$$.

Today's lesson: missplaced anger.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
O'Neal's penalty was a bit harsh but, I can certainly see what the league is upset about. The guy that O'Neal hit had already been hit by Artest and was not a threat to anyone because security was helping him to his feet so they could take him away.....THAT'S when O'Neal decides to start running and launch himself into this punch that, if it had landed, could have KILLED the guy....Picture that for a second.....What if Jermaine O'neal actually KILLED the guy?....Think about it! The guy was already in custody and O'Neal comes flying in out of no where, and tries to hit this guy with EVERYTHING he had.....O'Neal is lucky he's just suspended and not locked up for real.

I guess people who have never been put in that situation just don't get it. I have, and there is no scarier feeling then seeing some fan run up to you, or throw things at you. You have no idea what is going on.
Please, tell me the story.

Watch pulp fiction. Pride will **** you up. it messes with your head. take the money and walk away.

inFINSible said:
fight or flight huh?.....You're absolutely right...... "fight" the fan who throws water at you and "flight" from the MAN who is ready to whip your a$$.

Today's lesson: missplaced anger.
O'Neal's penalty was a bit harsh but, I can certainly see what the league is upset about. The guy that O'Neal hit had already been hit by Artest and was not a threat to anyone because security was helping him to his feet so they could take him away.....THAT'S when O'Neal decides to start running and launch himself into this punch that, if it had landed, could have KILLED the guy....Picture that for a second.....What if Jermaine O'neal actually KILLED the guy?....Think about it! The guy was already in custody and O'Neal comes flying in out of no where, and tries to hit this guy with EVERYTHING he had.....O'Neal is lucky he's just suspended and not locked up for real.

Please, tell me the story.

OK, here is your story for you. I used to be a professional wrestler. Our job was to stir up fans. Make them either love you, or hate you. Every now and then, we run angles that are controversial. Angles that fans become emotionally attached too. They throw things at you, they yell and scream at you. Most of the time, you are able to ignore it, and even enjoy since you realize you have done your job correctly. However, fans are all around you. 360 degrees around you in fact. When projectiles start coming, I used to get out of the irng and get to the back. If the story needed me out there longer, I would generally get my back against a wall so that I could see everything coming my way. I was in a ring when a fan hit a fellow wrestler in the head with a soda bottle half filled with urine. The wrestler who was hit, didn't even know it was urine until later. All he knew was that he was hit in the head and it came from a certain direction. You don't think he had a right to go into the stands and question who it was?

Another instance happened while I wasn't wrestling (due to injury) and instead was helping to run security detail from behind the crowd at ringside. A fan jumped the rail while his buddy distracted security. He jumped the rail, got into the ring and ran right for one of our performers. Our wrestler in turn, layed the guy out with one punch. He had no idea if this guy was carrying as knife or worse, a gun. Yeah, we have security checks but people get through with weapons all the time. I have dealt with unruly fans before and know the danger. I guarentee that with Artest, who is a fighter and has some anger management issues, he didn't know what he was hit with. He just knew he was hit and someone was going to pay. I am not saying he was right, I am just saying I know where he was coming from having bene in similar situatons.

If you read my post, I agree he should be suspended but not for an entire season.

As for the guy O'neal punched, the guy shouldn't have been on the court. Again, Security obviously wasn't doing their job because had they been, they should have dragged his big butt off the court way before Jermaine had a chance to take a poke at him. Bottom line, if you are a fan and you come into the playing area, you are fair game. Simple as that. Now, had he killed him, obviously it would bring on criminal charges and rightfully so. But, I stand by my stance the performers have a right to defend themselves against unruly fans who pose a threat to them by coming onto the playing area.

Again too, you cannot fault a guy for walking away form a fight in the same sentence in which you condemn him for fighting, it is hypocritical. Had Wallace been a real man and just taken his free throws, Artest never rus into the stands.

Also, Ohall as far as other situations of players running into the stands at NBA games, tow come to mind. Vernon Maxwell beat the hell out of a fan back in the 90's and received 20 games. Dennis Rodman kicked a courtside phtographer in the crotch and got 11. It has heppened before and the precedent for games was set. Stern overstepped this precedent and went overboard with the penalties.

Samphin said:
OK, here is your story for you. I used to be a professional wrestler. Our job was to stir up fans. Make them either love you, or hate you. Every now and then, we run angles that are controversial. Angles that fans become emotionally attached too. They throw things at you, they yell and scream at you. Most of the time, you are able to ignore it, and even enjoy since you realize you have done your job correctly. However, fans are all around you. 360 degrees around you in fact. When projectiles start coming, I used to get out of the irng and get to the back. If the story needed me out there longer, I would generally get my back against a wall so that I could see everything coming my way. I was in a ring when a fan hit a fellow wrestler in the head with a soda bottle half filled with urine. The wrestler who was hit, didn't even know it was urine until later. All he knew was that he was hit in the head and it came from a certain direction. You don't think he had a right to go into the stands and question who it was?

Another instance happened while I wasn't wrestling (due to injury) and instead was helping to run security detail from behind the crowd at ringside. A fan jumped the rail while his buddy distracted security. He jumped the rail, got into the ring and ran right for one of our performers. Our wrestler in turn, layed the guy out with one punch. He had no idea if this guy was carrying as knife or worse, a gun. Yeah, we have security checks but people get through with weapons all the time. I have dealt with unruly fans before and know the danger. I guarentee that with Artest, who is a fighter and has some anger management issues, he didn't know what he was hit with. He just knew he was hit and someone was going to pay. I am not saying he was right, I am just saying I know where he was coming from having bene in similar situatons.

If you read my post, I agree he should be suspended but not for an entire season.

As for the guy O'neal punched, the guy shouldn't have been on the court. Again, Security obviously wasn't doing their job because had they been, they should have dragged his big butt off the court way before Jermaine had a chance to take a poke at him. Bottom line, if you are a fan and you come into the playing area, you are fair game. Simple as that. Now, had he killed him, obviously it would bring on criminal charges and rightfully so. But, I stand by my stance the performers have a right to defend themselves against unruly fans who pose a threat to them by coming onto the playing area.

Again too, you cannot fault a guy for walking away form a fight in the same sentence in which you condemn him for fighting, it is hypocritical. Had Wallace been a real man and just taken his free throws, Artest never rus into the stands.

Also, Ohall as far as other situations of players running into the stands at NBA games, tow come to mind. Vernon Maxwell beat the hell out of a fan back in the 90's and received 20 games. Dennis Rodman kicked a courtside phtographer in the crotch and got 11. It has heppened before and the precedent for games was set. Stern overstepped this precedent and went overboard with the penalties.
You can't compare your situation with Artest's. YOU WERE A PRO WRESTLER and as you said it as your job to get the fans all hot and worked up. That is how you make your money. So, for you or another wrestler to be shocked when someone actually throws something at you is crazy. You were trying to get a reaction out of them and you did! So, for a wrestler to work a crowd up to the point where they start throwing stuff...and then for the wrestlers (you) to get upset and want to storm into the crowd is DUMB BEYOND BELIEF!

Not to mention Artest was hit with a cup of friggin water! WATER. A plastic cup of WATER! No physical harm was done to him. The guy wasn't injured in any way. Of course it was wrong for the fan to throw it, but if you get hit with a cup of water and can't walk away from it, then that person is seriously f'd up in the head.

Samphin said:

Thanks Samphin, that was quite intersting. :D Sounds like some scary stuff.

Here's my problem with Artest only getting suspended for 20 or 30 games.....

Last week he ASKED for a month off so he could promote a CD release.

If you give him that 20 or 30 games, you're practically not punishing him at all because that's what he wants.

And as for O'Neal, that Fan was being helped up and, I assume, being taken into custody by security before O'Neal was even involved. That fan posed absolutely no threat to O'Neal or anyone else at the time O'Neal launched himself at the fan.

And that was, by no definition, a "poke"....It was a running haymaker delivered by a 260 lb, 7 foot tall athlete....If that would have landed cleanly, it most certainly could have ended that man's life.

A punch like that practically ended Rudy Tomjonavich's playing career. And Rudy aint no small guy like that fan was. That was a DANGEROUS punch, and considering the possible consequences, unjustifiable in any way.

IMO of course.

What was your wrestling charater's name? I bet you have some great stories...

Wildbill3 said:
Watch pulp fiction. Pride will **** you up. it messes with your head. take the money and walk away.

If it's a lot of money, then LOL...I really can't disagree with that. :)

inFINSible said:
Thanks Samphin, that was quite intersting. :D Sounds like some scary stuff.

Here's my problem with Artest only getting suspended for 20 or 30 games.....

Last week he ASKED for a month off so he could promote a CD release.

If you give him that 20 or 30 games, you're practically not punishing him at all because that's what he wants.

And as for O'Neal, that Fan was being helped up and, I assume, being taken into custody by security before O'Neal was even involved. That fan posed absolutely no threat to O'Neal or anyone else at the time O'Neal launched himself at the fan.

And that was, by no definition, a "poke"....It was a running haymaker delivered by a 260 lb, 7 foot tall athlete....If that would have landed cleanly, it most certainly could have ended that man's life.

A punch like that practically ended Rudy Tomjonavich's playing career. And Rudy aint no small guy like that fan was. That was a DANGEROUS punch, and considering the possible consequences, unjustifiable in any way.

IMO of course.

What was your wrestling charater's name? I bet you have some great stories...

I would agree to a point that the guy posed no threat. However, there is always a chance that the guy could be some whacko with a knife,gun, slingshot ( they can put an eye out! ) and the fact that he went on the court, brought on O'neal's actions to himself. I am glad he isn't seriously hurt, but I am slo glad that he most likely learned his lesson and will never do it again. The thing that kills me too is that you know a lot of those punk fans are going to go back to their neighborhoods and just brag about how they fought with NBA players and how it was because of them, that the Pacers are not in the playoffs this year. That brings me to another point, this precedent that Stern set puts the trigger in fan's minds that all they have to od is get an opposing player to rush at them, and that team will end up losing that player for the year. You don't think every team from now on goes after the start players to try to give their own team a leg up? I am a Lakers fan and if I was in earshot of Tim Duncan and an idiot fan ( which I like to think I am not ) I would threaten everything I could to him to get him to punch me. That way, the Spurs are done as a contender and the Lakers's chances improve.

As for the wrestling stories. I have a few ;) . I don't have as many as most wrestlers though because, quite honestly, that business is about the scummiest, bizarre, yet equally beautiful and euphoric business in the world. It really was a wild ride. I don't od it anymore, but every now and then, I get "the itch" and end up suplexing my girlfriend, who by now, is used to it. I figure I will do it again eventually, but for now, I have a mortgage ( at 22! eck! ) and a steady job, so I think I will keeep the remainder of my brain cells...at least until 25. PM me if you are interested in some stories or anything like that.

Samphin said:

Maxwell didn't beat anyone up, he did however run into the stands because the fan was saying something inappropriate about his child. I believe he stood over the fan and yelled and then he was then pulled away.

Dennis Rodman is just more proof the NBA is reaping what they have sewn recently. The thug mentality they have fostered for some time just bit them on their azz. Further kicking a camera man is far from running into the stands.

Stern should have banned Artest from the NBA until he can prove through therapy he will never do this again. Artest got off easy IMO. He has a long history of acting like a thug and until now they have played softball with him. Before this his total fine tally was 150k. If they want to stop these millionaires from acting like street thugs they need to hit them in their wallets IMO. Thankfully they are doing that this time.

MikeO said:
You can't compare your situation with Artest's. YOU WERE A PRO WRESTLER and as you said it as your job to get the fans all hot and worked up. That is how you make your money. So, for you or another wrestler to be shocked when someone actually throws something at you is crazy. You were trying to get a reaction out of them and you did! So, for a wrestler to work a crowd up to the point where they start throwing stuff...and then for the wrestlers (you) to get upset and want to storm into the crowd is DUMB BEYOND BELIEF!

Not to mention Artest was hit with a cup of friggin water! WATER. A plastic cup of WATER! No physical harm was done to him. The guy wasn't injured in any way. Of course it was wrong for the fan to throw it, but if you get hit with a cup of water and can't walk away from it, then that person is seriously f'd up in the head.

That really is a naive position to state. If anything, you make my argument for me. You say I had no right to be surprised because I am trying to get a reaction. therefore, that is more reason why Artest SHOULD have been surprised. He wasn't looking for a reaction from the crowd, yet, he got one. Thanks for making my point for me.

As for being a wrestler and we should expect it, that is just dumb. To a certian extent, yes, we crave the cheering and the verbal abuse. Heck, one time, while walking to the ring, a young women informed me that she was going to use a strap on and skull f#ck my mother. I smiled to myself and padded myself on the bak for a job well done. Yes, we expect verbal abuse and verbal threats. However, we are/were performers who do not expect to be attacked with items thrown at us or by other unruly fans who hop barriers. The key word is barriers. We have them up everywhere. That is the line in the sand, so to speak. You cross that, I can no longer guarentee your safety. especially if you are coming towards me.

To a certain extent, as a heel, you expect things to be thrown at you, however, that doesn't make it right. My uncle was a pro wrestler way back when Kayfabe was still in tact. He wore a mask and was known as The Spoiler. Anyhow, one night, after his match was done and he was leaving the arena, some nutjob met him in the parking lot and demanded he take off his mask. Not breaking character, my uncle, under no uncertain terms, told him to go away ( I am sure he said please as well. :lol: ). This "fan" ended up stabbing him before running away. He didn't see my uncle's face so he stabbed him.

Another time, My uncle was wrestling in Mexico and while driving away form the arena, was shot at due to people recognizing the mask and hating his character so much. Perhaps through my personal experiences, my views are somewhat skewed, but if fans are going to get out of line and try to become part of the show/game/match, I feel it is my duty to protect not only my life, but the lifves of my fellow workers and those of other fans and subdue those nutjobs by hook or crook. If you have to punch/choke/kick a guy to get them under control, you do it.

Artest blew a gasket, and like I said, he should be suspended, however, I see where he was coming from and still think the penalty was too harsh.

ohall said:
Maxwell didn't beat anyone up, he did however run into the stands because the fan was saying something inappropriate about his child. I believe he stood over the fan and yelled and then he was then pulled away.

Dennis Rodman is just more proof the NBA is reaping what they have sewn recently. The thug mentality they have fostered for some time just bit them on their azz. Further kicking a camera man is far from running into the stands.

Stern should have banned Artest from the NBA until he can prove through therapy he will never do this again. Artest got off easy IMO. He has a long history of acting like a thug and until now they have played softball with him. Before this his total fine tally was 150k. If they want to stop these millionaires from acting like street thugs they need to hit them in their wallets IMO. Thankfully they are doing that this time.

I have no problem fining the guy up the wazoo. Lets face it, taking their money form them is the only way they probably will learn. However, you can fine him and suspend him for less games. A 30 game, four million dollar fine does just as much as a full season/five million dollar fine does in my opinion. Take as much money as you deem appropriate and you will not get an argument from me. I would love to just play basketball for free. I cannot fathom getting paid to play it. I have a problem with the suspension personally. Realistically, the NBA ends up hurting itself in the process. The Pacers are now pretyt much out of contention with their best three players gone for a long while. Attendance will surely drop and revenue will be down for Indiana. That leads to lower overall numbers for the NBA. I think Stern made a mistake and overshot his boundaries here. I still say the union will fight this all the way.

Back
Top Bottom