Ask Boomer | Page 11 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

mjh56 said:
Boomer makes all his OWN opinions based on alot of dedicated viewing of college ball. I know the hardwork he puts in and the accuracy of it is testament to that hardwork and skill of how he interprets it.

I suppose this is your official spokesman.How do you get those game films to England.?

As a Gator how do you feel about the Urban Meyer hiring?.Do you think his style of play will work in the SEC.? Do you believe he will help Chris Leak to become a better player.?

By the way.Cheers for the baby .
:drinkers:

«©òókîê ߥtë®» said:
Boomer.Where did you get your knowledge from?.Are you a former player or scout or agent?.Do you have contacts within teams?.If so who are they.Or are you a draftnik like some of the guys on here who read material and then repeat it with their own angle.

I get my information from my eyes. From what I see. I have been a fan of American Football for almost 2 decades. To that end, the draft always fascinated me and I began studying it intensely about 15 years ago. Thus I started watching a lot of games and making notes on players. I did some draft stuff for a well respected fan magazine over here about 14 years ago and then hooked up with a fellow English based Miami fan and we did a lot of draft stuff in different formats over here and on the net. The past few years I have done stuff for all sorts of websites and magazines, most notably Great Blue North, where I was informed the Tuesday before the draft that Buffalo would select Willis McGahee in R1 if he was still on the board. I think still the only person to break that. I was also told the EXACT pick - #84 - that Marshall safety Chris Crocker would be picked in. By Crocker himself. Last year I did all the stuff at Fin Heaven - feel free to check it out - and this year I have been asked to work for the former Kansas City Chiefs scout Frank Coyle.

I'm a journalist by trade and that opens an occasonal door and I have built up a few contacts with people that make life a little easier.

But the ABSOLUTE bottom line is that I watch game tapes. That is the ONLY way you can do it. We get 75 live games here, more taped delayed games and then there is a company in Germany that you can buy endless other game tapes from. I also have a friend in Houston who tapes other match-ups for me. You end up watching a LOT of football.

I have been watching tapes for a long time and over a 3/4 year period you build up a database of players at the same university which I add to each game, each season, etc etc. That helps with overall evaluation as you can look back and see development, both physically and in real time during the action.

And I think I know what to look for. Like I said earlier in this thread, some of the early college games I watched involved tremendous college players like Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross and Clarkston Hines of Duke and Steve Taylor of UCLA. Once I worked out why these great collegians weren't going to be great pros, that was half the battle.

So no, to conclude, I don't read material and repeat with my own angle. My material is just that.

Mine.

(Cheers Martin BTW).

«©òókîê ߥtë®» said:
I suppose this is your official spokesman.How do you get those game films to England.?

As a Gator how do you feel about the Urban Meyer hiring?.Do you think his style of play will work in the SEC.? Do you believe he will help Chris Leak to become a better player.?

By the way.Cheers for the baby .
:drinkers:

Nope, this is just my friend and fellow Brit making sure you understand what's what.

I get the games through a channel called NASN, through a company called Pontel and through a friend who tapes Miami games and whatever college games I need. We also get double headers every Sunday - 1pm and 4pm game, the ESPN Sunday nighter and the Monday nighter all live.

Like I said.....I watch the games.

I'm a Nole not a Gator. I think he'll be a great success. Like I said earlier in this thread, he will be helped dramatically by having the hotbed of recruiting talent that he has in the state. Kids will see that he got Utah to the BCS and what he did with that school. He runs an offense that fans and players alike will enjoy, that harks back a lot to the wide open offense that Coach Spurrier ran.

I think the SEC is the most pro ready, toughest conference in college football, but it worked for Spurrier. Meyer was a great hire.

And as for Chris Leak...I think the next 2 seasons, he and Adrian Peterson will split winning the Heisman. I think Leak is a hell of a QB who will THRIVE in Meyer's system.

Thats real dedication.You must love it.We are lucky to have someone of your experience and insight to consult with.

By the way.Go Gators!!!.Thanks to Ceatrick we finally were able to get a win in Talahase something coach could never do.

Boomer, so it sounds like that there aren't any Blue Chip DTs in this draft, some DEs sound like studs but are there any projected decent DTs in the mid to later rounds that could become a solid Run Stopper? What FAs are out there, with Bowens' Back Injury, Chester coming back from injury and with the obvious lack of run support that their injuries have brought there is a definite hole there (pun intended) we need to get prepared for a future without them. It would be nice to have one before Dillon tears us a new one this Monday but I don't think that is doable :D

Boomer said:
That would be nice. How is Grand Cayman this time of year?

Cayman is brilliant this time of year, but rule out this year. We got hammered this year by Hurricane Ivan (see my sig), the whole island at one time was pretty much underwater, and it is know just starting to get back on its feet, but it will be another year or two before we are fully back on our feet. http://www.caymanphotos.com are some recent pictures, check out the Ocean Club and South Sound Pictures. Otherwise it is about 25 C in the day and 20-22 C at night. Cold beer and warm sun a great mix!

Congrats on your new little girl, I know it had to be the best, "early" Christmas present you have ever gotten !
You mentioned on the Louisville roster is the freshman Brian Brohm, and how much you liked him. I will tell you, I do as well. As much as I hate UL, this kid is going to be one great QB before it is said and done. He has a good family background as well in football.

Also, you stated you thought Spielman would be back at GM, if the hire isnt Saban. And I honestly do think he has done a pretty good job thus far. But, what if Saban is hired ? I have saw, and I am sure you have, conflicting repports that Saban wants full control, that he doesnt want full control and to bring his people in, so Im lost on this one. I would love to get Saban, but I lso would love to see Spielman have a little more time as well. Is their a way, we could get Saban, and still keep Spielman ? Or, is Spielman ,in your oppinion, absolutely gone , if we hire Saban ?

Thanks for the time, and have a Great and Merry Christmas my friend !!!

«©òókîê ߥtë®» said:
Thats real dedication.You must love it.We are lucky to have someone of your experience and insight to consult with.

By the way.Go Gators!!!.Thanks to Ceatrick we finally were able to get a win in Talahase something coach could never do.

I think the Gators thoroughly deserved the win. It was clear that they wanted to give something back to Coach Zook and they wanted it more, plain and simple. Both teams had nothing more than pride to play for but a lot of Zooks players felt that the Florida AD had stiffed their coach and they wanted to prove a point.

MNFINFAN said:
Boomer, so it sounds like that there aren't any Blue Chip DTs in this draft, some DEs sound like studs but are there any projected decent DTs in the mid to later rounds that could become a solid Run Stopper? What FAs are out there, with Bowens' Back Injury, Chester coming back from injury and with the obvious lack of run support that their injuries have brought there is a definite hole there (pun intended) we need to get prepared for a future without them. It would be nice to have one before Dillon tears us a new one this Monday but I don't think that is doable :D

Cayman is brilliant this time of year, but rule out this year. We got hammered this year by Hurricane Ivan (see my sig), the whole island at one time was pretty much underwater, and it is know just starting to get back on its feet, but it will be another year or two before we are fully back on our feet. http://www.caymanphotos.com are some recent pictures, check out the Ocean Club and South Sound Pictures. Otherwise it is about 25 C in the day and 20-22 C at night. Cold beer and warm sun a great mix!

There really aren't mate. The top 3 prospects would be Wisconsin's Anttaj Hawthorne, Texas's Rodrique Wright and Miami's Orien Harris. But both the latter two are juniors and Harris has indicated his desire to return. Wright looks a potentially very good player but it will take some time, whilst Hawthorne needs to be more consistent over 60 minutes. And his DT partner with the Badgers may turn out to be more consistent than he is - Jason Jefferson.

In terms of 1st day to mid rounders, there are a number of guys I like, such as Memphis' Albert Means, Oregon's Haloti Ngati, Northwestern's Luis Castillo and Minnesota's Anthony Montgomery who are all nice players. Montgomery, a junior and Means, who I tabbed earlier on as one of my draft sleepers would be nice fits and Ngati has great size. Jefferson and Anthony Bryant of Alabama are others who have the size to play our scheme.

In terms of free agents, it's a solid year for DT's that includes Pro Bowl players like Corey Simon of Philadelphia, Shaun Rogers of Detroit and Chris Hovan of Minnesota. Whilst the Lions will keep arguably the best FA at any position, Rogers, both Philly and the Vikes have indicated that they will let Simon and Hovan respectively test the market. The best guy for our current scheme is Pat Williams of the Bills, but I can't see Buffalo letting him go. Rocky Bernard of Seattle would be nice in the rotation, but it's imperitive we get someone.

As for Cayman, it's a place I'd love to go to for a holiday.

Clumpy said:
Thanks Boomer

I really like Chris Colmer in rd 2.

No worries mate. Yeah, he's part of a strong set of 2nd tier tackles.

dolphindan1970 said:
Congrats on your new little girl, I know it had to be the best, "early" Christmas present you have ever gotten !
You mentioned on the Louisville roster is the freshman Brian Brohm, and how much you liked him. I will tell you, I do as well. As much as I hate UL, this kid is going to be one great QB before it is said and done. He has a good family background as well in football.

Also, you stated you thought Spielman would be back at GM, if the hire isnt Saban. And I honestly do think he has done a pretty good job thus far. But, what if Saban is hired ? I have saw, and I am sure you have, conflicting repports that Saban wants full control, that he doesnt want full control and to bring his people in, so Im lost on this one. I would love to get Saban, but I lso would love to see Spielman have a little more time as well. Is their a way, we could get Saban, and still keep Spielman ? Or, is Spielman ,in your oppinion, absolutely gone , if we hire Saban ?

Thanks for the time, and have a Great and Merry Christmas my friend !!!

It's fair to say it was pretty special!! :)

Yep, Brohm looks a nice player and the best of the Brohm bunch. Calm in the pocket with his head firmly screwed on, he should develop into a really solid prospect down the road.

If Saban comes in, I think it makes Spielman's job untenable.

What Saban wants is not "full control" which is what some of the papers say he wants. He actually wants to have a strong Director of Player Personnel like Tim Ruskell or Phil Savage or Greg Gabriel or Buddy Nix or the excellent Rustin Webster. If Savage, who has Saban history wants the job, then he would be the #1 choice by a mile. But both Webster and Ruskin would be excellent choices. And rememeber, Ruskell was heavily touted as a potential GM candidate when we were looking for GM's.

He - Saban - wants EXACTLY the same as what Bill Belichick has in New England with Scott Pioli. Saban/Belichick want/have the FINAL decision, but it's a partnership and a partnership that seems to work. Unlike Mike Holmgrem or Wanny etc, pre Rick, the coach wants to have the final say, but he wants a trusted Lieutenant to be helping him out every step of the way. Essentially it's a partnership. Saban doesn't want to do it all himself. He has already admitted such in an interview with Dan LeBatard.

But if he gets the job, despite all the talk about Rick being re-shuffled elsewhere, I can't see him staying on. I mean, he would go from Director of Player Personnel to GM, then replaced by someone not as GM, but as someone who would be doing the job he was 2 years ago. His position would be absolutely untenable. I mean maybe he will like a demotion or a move elsewhere in the organisation, but I can't see him swallowing his pride that much. I just think Saban will want his own man.

My pleasure and a Happy Christmas to you too.

Hey Boomer, I got one for you....

I understand that running back is not a position that has much longevity.

I also prefer drafting a back that is "ours" and not a player from another team.

However with the emergence of Willis McGahee in Buffalo and the fact that obviously Henry wants to be a starter.

Do you think Henry would be worth trading a pick for?

I do not like the idea of trading draft picks,but with Henry`s recent injury I think the asking price has been reduced significantly.

So what would you think of maybe our early 4th for him?

If we did something like that, and trade down from our #2 pick, I think we could spend both our first round picks on the spots where we need help the most.

The Offensive and Defensive lines.

Grab a good offensive tackle and a good defensive end.

And still bring in a "franchise back" for next year in Henry.

I know the Bills wont want to trade within the division,but if they were willing......

Do you think that would be a good scenario?

Boomer,

One other thing.....What about Shazor, the Safety out of Michigan?

Where do you see him going?

Any thoughts on him?

Hey Boomer. What do you think about Andre Maddox, and Pat Thomas at NC State. I played with those guys in highschool, and I am happy to see them doing well in college. Do you think they have a chance at being drafted? I would assum Andre has a better shot, but probably as a ST player. Thanks again for the comments.

HVACservice said:
Hey Boomer, I got one for you....

I understand that running back is not a position that has much longevity.

I also prefer drafting a back that is "ours" and not a player from another team.

However with the emergence of Willis McGahee in Buffalo and the fact that obviously Henry wants to be a starter.

Do you think Henry would be worth trading a pick for?

I do not like the idea of trading draft picks,but with Henry`s recent injury I think the asking price has been reduced significantly.

So what would you think of maybe our early 4th for him?

If we did something like that, and trade down from our #2 pick, I think we could spend both our first round picks on the spots where we need help the most.

The Offensive and Defensive lines.

Grab a good offensive tackle and a good defensive end.

And still bring in a "franchise back" for next year in Henry.

I know the Bills wont want to trade within the division,but if they were willing......

Do you think that would be a good scenario?

Hey HVAC......Yep, running backs tend not to last long. If anyone saw that hit the Curtis Martin took from Marquand Manuel this afternoon down the left sideline, then you'll know why.

But Buffalo hold the aces with Henry. He is a proven 1,000 yard back, a Pro Bowl runner. No way on earth that anyone gets him for a 4th. I would be surprised if he goes for anything less than a 1st or a combination of picks such as a 2 and a 4 or a 2 and a 5. I would be amazed if he stays in Buffalo because it's clear that McGahee is the future in upstate NY, but I don't think Buffalo will let a young franchise back get away for anything less than market value. If we had our high 2, then maybe that would do the trick, but......

I know people will say that Corey Dillon got to NE for a 2, but you have to consider the wear and tear on Dillons body and the risk that he represented.

Back
Top Bottom