Ask Boomer | Page 12 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

HVACservice said:
Boomer,

One other thing.....What about Shazor, the Safety out of Michigan?

Where do you see him going?

Any thoughts on him?

I view him a lot like Donovan Darius of Jacksonville although he's better when the ball is in the air. But he's very raw and would be considered a real work in progress. He's a monster hitter, although he tends to go for the big stick at times rather than wrapping up. But when you have that size/speed combo you have to respect that upside. I think he'll spend a long time sitting on the bench because he hasn't started for a while, but if he develops, he could be a real player.

He could also become a linebacker in some schemes.

Hey Boomer,

Would you please give your thoughts on Michael Vick. If you would take the Time to give a Complete Breakdown on him....it would be GREAT. I enjoy reading your post on players. I know that a lot of fans on this site think that he is overrated. I DO NOT think he is overrated. I think he is not even close to peaking yet. Another year or two in the West Coast Offense and he will be THE MOST COMPLETE QB in the GAME! I think he is the most talented player in ANY PRO SPORT. What do you think?

1) Passing ~ 10 yards or less
2) Passing ~ 10+ yards
3) Field Vision ~ Pocket Reads & Running Reads
4) Arm Strength ~ Compared to Elway, George...etc
5) Running Ability ~ Compare him to a RB...lol..not a QB!
6) Speed ~ Compare him to ANY NFL Player with speed.
7) Ranking Among Other Current QB's
8) Trade Value ~ What would it take to get him....I kNOW iT WiLl NoT HaPpEn!!!!

I know this is not Dolphin news...THE ATL would BURN if VICK was to be TRADED for anything less than AMERICA & Ricky's Stash!

Thanks for your time & hope to read your post on VICK soon. Congrats with the NEWBORN!!! :)

Thanks,
Mark

Boomer said:
I view him a lot like Donovan Darius of Jacksonville although he's better when the ball is in the air. But he's very raw and would be considered a real work in progress. He's a monster hitter, although he tends to go for the big stick at times rather than wrapping up. But when you have that size/speed combo you have to respect that upside. I think he'll spend a long time sitting on the bench because he hasn't started for a while, but if he develops, he could be a real player.

He could also become a linebacker in some schemes.

Thanks for the responses Boomer.

Its nice to have someone that really knows there stuff to bounce ideas off of.

Hope all is well with the baby....

Thanks again.

Chris Colmer has a condition known as Parsonage-Turner Syndrome. It is a brachial plexus neuritis that causes pain and weakness in the shoulders, chest, and arms, and at times it causes paralysis of those muscles.

In response to one of your responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer
Why would San Diego want our 1st? It's all well and good saying we can trade with them, but what's in it for them?

Good question, would they not like Mike Williams at WR? Team him up with Gates and Mcardell and LT, WOW!

Hey boomer what do you think of Ciatrick Fason hes runs pretty well and he just commited to the draft

Regarding Henry (wasn't that a title to a movie? )

Boomer: I have advanced a possible trade proposal at BZ. Bills trade Henry for a swap of 2005 picks (i.e. trade up) in either the 2nd or 3rd and also get a conditional 2006 pick no lower than a 4th. What do you think about that?

Boomer: What are your thoughts of 2 navy prospects: FB Kyle Eckel and FS Josh Davis. I know they they have military obligations, but I watched the Army/Navy (I'm an Army vet :mad: ), and I was impressed by both. However, I think Josh Davis may be a little slow for S in the NFL.

Boomer said:
I think Saban...in fact I KNOW Saban is going to pick players from all over the country and all over the SEC if they help the team he is coaching win. He may be/may have been the LSU coach, but he can't help but have admired from a distance people like Campbell, Carnell Williams, Carlos Rogers, etc.

Fason will probably end up going in R1. Earlier in this thread I explain why. Suffice to say that he has all of his best ball ahead of him, can do it all, has great size and speed and physical tools. The TB class will be stacked if all the juniors who I think will declare do.
Thanks Boomer,

Would you mind if I float some names past you for my next column/mock draft? I just dont have as much free time or resources as you do to keep up with every player and where they will probably go. Between the two of us, we should be able to put out a somewhat more realistic wish list of draftees. I would share the profits from my columns but unfortunetly the only thing I get out of the deal is free access to the insider information & a place to practice my budding career as a future journalist. :cooldude: If anything, I can forward you the insider stuff that my website editors posts on an almost daily basis. They do a bunch of phone calling to different colleges trying to keep up on the latest news of players who are or arent declaring as well as rumors and such from the NFL.

Boomer said:
It's fair to say it was pretty special!! :)

Yep, Brohm looks a nice player and the best of the Brohm bunch. Calm in the pocket with his head firmly screwed on, he should develop into a really solid prospect down the road.

If Saban comes in, I think it makes Spielman's job untenable.

What Saban wants is not "full control" which is what some of the papers say he wants. He actually wants to have a strong Director of Player Personnel like Tim Ruskell or Phil Savage or Greg Gabriel or Buddy Nix or the excellent Rustin Webster. If Savage, who has Saban history wants the job, then he would be the #1 choice by a mile. But both Webster and Ruskin would be excellent choices. And rememeber, Ruskell was heavily touted as a potential GM candidate when we were looking for GM's.

He - Saban - wants EXACTLY the same as what Bill Belichick has in New England with Scott Pioli. Saban/Belichick want/have the FINAL decision, but it's a partnership and a partnership that seems to work. Unlike Mike Holmgrem or Wanny etc, pre Rick, the coach wants to have the final say, but he wants a trusted Lieutenant to be helping him out every step of the way. Essentially it's a partnership. Saban doesn't want to do it all himself. He has already admitted such in an interview with Dan LeBatard.

But if he gets the job, despite all the talk about Rick being re-shuffled elsewhere, I can't see him staying on. I mean, he would go from Director of Player Personnel to GM, then replaced by someone not as GM, but as someone who would be doing the job he was 2 years ago. His position would be absolutely untenable. I mean maybe he will like a demotion or a move elsewhere in the organisation, but I can't see him swallowing his pride that much. I just think Saban will want his own man.

My pleasure and a Happy Christmas to you too.

Very good points my friend, I truly enjoyed that ! Thank you... Now go out and buy that new little one something nice for Christmas, although I am betting you already have that under control ! :lol: Take care, and again, Merry Christmas to you and your wife and your new little girl !

sports24/7 said:
Hey Boomer. What do you think about Andre Maddox, and Pat Thomas at NC State. I played with those guys in highschool, and I am happy to see them doing well in college. Do you think they have a chance at being drafted? I would assum Andre has a better shot, but probably as a ST player. Thanks again for the comments.

Hey 24/7.....Maddox is a monster hitter - anyone who goes across in front of him will know about it. But when I see him for NC State I see a guy who gets in some trouble when the ball's in the air, takes questionable angles and who too often looks for the run and bites on the playaction, allowing defenders to get in behind him. He actually looks to me like he could shift to LB in SOME schemes because he has decent instincts generally, is athletic and like I said, he brings a load. But his obvious lack of size for LB and inability to play the pass well will probably limit him to being something of a ST maven.

Thomas is a decent college LB, but like Maddox, he is just a 2 down 'backer - he can't cover the pass and he looks slow and stiff down the field. He fills the holes nicely as a run defender and is a sure tackler, but like Maddox, I think he's just a ST guy at best. He's a local Miami guy, so you could see him come in amongst the group of local potential draftees.

I think Andre will certainly get drafted, maybe in the 5th round area. I think Thomas is more of a FA type.

No worries.

The only player on NC State's team that really jumps out at me is Super Mario Williams. That guy is a fantastic defensive end who will be a very high draft pick in 2006.

MDolphins2003 said:
Hey Boomer,

Would you please give your thoughts on Michael Vick. If you would take the Time to give a Complete Breakdown on him....it would be GREAT. I enjoy reading your post on players. I know that a lot of fans on this site think that he is overrated. I DO NOT think he is overrated. I think he is not even close to peaking yet. Another year or two in the West Coast Offense and he will be THE MOST COMPLETE QB in the GAME! I think he is the most talented player in ANY PRO SPORT. What do you think?

1) Passing ~ 10 yards or less
2) Passing ~ 10+ yards
3) Field Vision ~ Pocket Reads & Running Reads
4) Arm Strength ~ Compared to Elway, George...etc
5) Running Ability ~ Compare him to a RB...lol..not a QB!
6) Speed ~ Compare him to ANY NFL Player with speed.
7) Ranking Among Other Current QB's
8) Trade Value ~ What would it take to get him....I kNOW iT WiLl NoT HaPpEn!!!!

I know this is not Dolphin news...THE ATL would BURN if VICK was to be TRADED for anything less than AMERICA & Ricky's Stash!

Thanks for your time & hope to read your post on VICK soon. Congrats with the NEWBORN!!! :)

Thanks,
Mark

Hey Mark....Mike Vick. OK first off I saw him quite a bit as a Hokie and was thoroughly blown away with his talent. He has clearly worked very hard as a passer since he came to the NFL but he's a long way off being the finished product.

To my mind he is the best player at QB in the NFL but he isn't the best QB in the NFL. I hope that makes sense. He has an ability to run the like of which no-one has ever seen and that ability would make about 95% of starting tailbacks in the league jealous. He has more speed than anyone I think I have ever seen. The way he can split defenders with his pace is staggering. And I KNOW FOR A FACT that no-one will want to be playing Atlanta come the playoffs because he is the one player that can take over a game and win it. I know Peyton and Brady and Favre can dictate games like few others before them, but the dual threat ability that #7 has makes his simply lethal.

Going back to my initial point about him being the best player but not the best QB.....what I mean is that he doesn't have the passing ability of a Manning or a Pennington, but he has the TOTAL package that sets him aside.

To your questions.....

1. 10 yards or less - He has become much better in this short range area. He doesn't try and throw the skin off the ball as much, he has developed more touch, more of a catcheable ball and works through his checks better than he did. He has struggled to pick up this new offense that Gregg Knapp has installed because he still - and I think always will have - the look deep/take off nature. I hope they don't knock that out of him. I think there is a sense of the Falcons wanting to find a happy medium between keeping him on a leash and making sure he doesn't get hurt and allowing him to do what comes naturally, which is just to play sandlot ball. His delivery in the short range is still quite pronounced, and at times you almost feel that he is torn between doing what his coaches want and just getting back to that sandlot kid. There is still room for improvement here, but he is learning to throw balls to suit situations. To that end, watch the Denver game earlier this season. He was flushed from the pocket. He looked round, rolled to his right and suddenly spotted Alge Crumpler in the left flat. But coming into his vision also was Al Wilson. 2 years ago, he would have tried to beat Wilson or thrown it almost through him. This time, he just flipped it nonchlantly over him, perfectly in stride.

2. Passing 10+ - It's the stronger area of the two. The deeper he goes, the better he goes - very few QB's you can say that about. He can make every throw on a rope. When he played as a rookie against Miami at PPS, he was the sandlot passer but at times he let his arm get the better of him. Now he seems to have that under control. This season he has regressed in some areas because of the system and his inability at times to mold it to his talents, but the arm and the deep ball is always a thing of beauty. Because of his strength, the deeper ball sometimes still comes out flatter than any QB in the game. Watch a Peyton deep ball and a Vick deep ball. There is maybe 10-15 yards worth of vertical difference. It's staggering.

3. Field Vision - It's great. His vision and the escapability that that brings, the mobility, is stunning. He has eyes in the back of his head. But like I said earlier, I still see a player that wants to be a sandlot QB but has to try and be an NFL QB. I'm not sold that turning him fully to the side of being an NFL passer is quite right. If I was Mora Jr and Knapp, I would tailor an offense so dynamic around him that they would be unstoppable. But they rightly know that if he gets hurt then they are up the creek without a paddle. So at times he can appear hesitant almost as if he thinks that he HAS to do what the team wants. You of course don't want him to run every down. A QB must work his progressions, find his receivers, etc etc. But there never has been a passer like him and he is very special. There is not one passer in NFL history who could rip off a 70 yard gain, beating 5/6 players and then come back and throw a 70 yard rope in stride. He sees the lanes as a passer and as a runner, he CREATES the lanes. He doesn't always need to see a running lane to make yardage.

4. Arm strength - Special. Can make all the throws. Difficult to compare to George or Elway. But it's at least as good as those. I think probably it's better than any of the above, but who knows. And of course, you don't want a QB who throws it too hard or continually overthrows. He can fit balls in where he wants and can out balls in stride. Michael Bishop of KState probably had a stronger pure arm, but there's a huge difference being a passer or a chucker.

5. Running ability - You would have to think that he would be a starting TB in the NFL if he added some bulk and wasn't a QB. There's no compliment higher than that. He makes arguably the best previous mobile QB, Randall Cunningham look like Dan Marino mobility wise. Frightening. The speed, the ability to get to the edge and turn up the field is as good as any tailback in the game today.

6. Speed - Well he looks as fast as any player in football. His 40 times at Virginia Tech were in the 4.24 region. He may not be the fastest on the track, but I can't think of a faster player on the field than Vick regardless of position. He is revolutionary.

7. Ranking - To my mind the top 3 QB's in the game are Peyton, Favre and Brady. Vick would probably be next. And that's an amazing compliment when you consider how raw he still is as a QUARTERBACK and all that entails. I think pound for pound he's the best PLAYER in the NFL. I think he needs an offense that suits his needs more. If that happens, he could be the best in the game.

8. Trade Value - Untradeable. Seriously. There is nothing that you could trade him for. Not only because his talent makes him untradeable but because of his contract, what he means to the CITY OF ATLANTA, etc etc etc. Arthur Blank would be killed if he ever traded him.

As for people on this site who think he is overrated, they can't be watching the games. As I said, the guy has revolutionised football. Even if his arm and his throwing is out, he can still kill you on the ground. As good as Peyton, Brady, Brett, Pennington etc are, NONE of them can say that. None.

Sorry to keep repeating myself, but NO-ONE will want to play Vick and the Falcons in the playoffs. I fully expect them to be the NFC's representative in Jacksonville.

Hope that's what you were after.
Boomer.

Back
Top Bottom