Ask Boomer | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

It'll Happen11 said:
Welcome Boomer, simple question, Who do you think is the top OT in the draft?

Let me start by saying apologies for the lateness of me being here....Muck opens a thread called "Ask Boomer" and then "Boomer buggers off!!" :) Anyway, I have a decent excuse.....our first child was born on Friday so it's been a little hectic.

OK......It'll Happen.....thanks mate.....the best senior T is Florida State's Alex Barron, in my opinion. He is a tremendous pass blocker with excellent feet and a huge wingspan. FSU coaches, including Bobby Bowden say that he is the best pass blocker they have had in Tallahassee for a decade - thus that would include Walter Jones, Tra Thomas, etc. which is some compliment. I don't agree, but I don't see him day in and day out for 4 years. He has great technique and everything you look for - big bubble, good knee bender, wide frame and when he gets his hands on you in pass protection, it's over. What knocks him down are three factors in my eyes. The first and most important is that he can at times become pedestrian as a run blocker. He doesn't dominate at the point and I have seen him be shoved off the ball on more than one occasion when blocking out in front for Washington and Booker. This this leads into my second point...... he doesn't possess that mean streak that you like to see in your OL and for the Dolphins in particular, that's something that we are crying out for. You'd like to see him at times run guys into the stands, grind them into the dirt, but he doesn't. He's laid back and that sometimes translates onto the field. And the third factor is that Coach Bowden often shifts him to RT for at least a 1/4, often a half for FSU and whilst he has the versatility on both sides, you'd like to see him get all the reps on the left to improve what he's best at. That's just a small niggle though. Overall he has perfect size, a frame that has extra growth potential, is a strong pass protector, but who needs some work as a run blocker if he is to really become the kind of force that his physical presence should let him be. He has also had a few injuries at FSU which need to be checked out - knee, hand and shoulder. I like him a lot, and with the right OL coach he could be really special. I suspect when all's said and done, he'll come off the board in the 8-15 area.

But my favourite OT in the draft is a junior, Virginia's D'Brickashaw Ferguson. I remember seeing him as a freshman against North Carolina when I was checking out Tar Heel WR Sam Aiken (now with Buffalo). Both he and Elton Brown looked outstanding. I have followed his progress and he looks like a top 10 pick to me if he declares. His footwork is staggering and his upside is frightening. I mean, off the scale good. He gets off the ball so well, he takes perfect positions, his angles are good, his base and knees are great and as a starter since his freshman campaign he has never given up a sack. As a run blocker, he rarely gets outpositioned because he is so quick - reputed 4.85 speed - and his footwork is so adept. This makes up for his lack of bulk which is the only real concern - he arrived at Virginia as a 260 pounder and struggles to keep the weight on. I would imagine, if he does declare, he won't register much over around 300 at the Combine. He is thoroughly dedicated to being the best - pouring over tapes of opponents and staying behind after practice to go 1 on 1 with DE Chris Canty - when Canty is healthy - and they have improved each others game and technique no end.

If he comes out - and there has been no indication either way - I think he'll be the #1 tackle off the board and would be a hell of a pick up for whichever HC takes over at Davie.

As for other OT's that I have been impressed with - Marcus McNeil at Auburn - big, strong, stunning run blocker. I think he needs another year because fundamentally he needs to iron out some chinks - he often blocks with his head down and his pass protection needs a little work, but the upside is strong. I really like Nick Kaczur at Toledo, a smaller school prospect with excellent feet and strong run blocking skills who could play in or out. Adam Terry at Syracuse and CJ Brooks at Maryland are solid players and Andrew Whitworth at LSU always impresses me. And a small schooler to keep an eye on.......I saw Eastern Washington a few days ago - Michael Roos was very impressive. Of course you have to take into account his opposition, but I was very taken with his feet and athleticism.

Hope that helps.

Alright Boomer, since the draft is major topic on the boards I will pose this to you.

Assuming Ferguson declares, what do you do at the #2 position, A) draft ferguson, B) draft Leinart/Rodgers, C) trade down and get Barron possibly and add a 2nd rd pick, or D) draft a rb?

If we dont get a LT in the draft, is ther a LT available in FA that could fill the position at a cap figure we could afford and still make a run at Edge or Alexander if we went after a qb with our first pick?

So Boomer, congrat's on the birth of your child to you and your wife!

Little Football player or Cheerleader?

PhinKev said:
Grade Matt Lienart and Arron Rogers for us. Who is the better pro-prospect.

Two good prospects, both juniors, neither guaranteed to declare. I'm sure they both will, although Leinart could stay to win the National Title 3 times, if they beat the Sooners on Jan 4th and try and double up with the Heisman, especially with all that returning talent on offense a year older. And Rodgers has just seen his HC and mentor Jeff Tedford sign a 5 year extension to keep him at Berkeley after there were plenty of rumours that he would jump ship possibly to Washington or to the NFL. Don't underestimate the influence that Tedford has on Rogers and I'm sure Tedford feels that he needs his senior year to really hone his skills, which he does.

Leinart is very composed, sees the field really well, always looks to have so much time in the pocket and everything is effortless. They say that QB's in the NFL know that they are finally getting it when the game slows down. It always seems to me that the game is REALLY SLOW for Leinart because he looks so in control. He reminds me of Tom Brady in that respect and the similarities don't stop there - he works the underneath really well a la Brady and he always takes what the defense gives him. He works his progressions, he has good mechanics, his delivery is smooth, he's a leader and a winner, he has great touch - I remember a pass to Reggie Bush earlier this year for a TD, which he dropped so perfectly over the DB, in front of the safety and to where only Bush could catch it and "looks" like a franchise passer. He doesn't have a huge arm, but it's more than adequete to be a success. He's not going to beat you with his feet, but he is pocket aware, can slide, can run, can get outside and is athletic enough to get down the field - I have seen catch TD passes from Mike Williams. He has that X factor that allows him to see the field and do what is necessary to make the play. I think he'll probably be the first pick to the 49ers and that will be a perfect fit for him. He's as NFL ready as any junior. And don't believe all this hype about his weapons. Remember, yes Bush is great and the receivers are too, but these are sophomores and freshmen he's playing with. One thing you notice about him is that he does have a tendency to stare down his primary receiver at times. Tape savvy NFL safeties will have field days if he carries this over to the pros. But a really nice prospect. If this year has been last year, with all the QB's, he would have gone in the post Roethlisberger, pre Losman area.

As for Rodgers, he is much more raw, more of a work in progress. He doesn't have the size of Leinart - 6-5 to Rodgers' 6-2, although I suspect Combine heights might tie him in at around 6-1. Like Leinart, he is a winner, who leads from the front. Where they differ is that Rodgers has the cannon for an arm and is a little more mobile out of the pocket. He has a sweet deep ball, with the pig coming out high from his ear. Occasionally he will try and use his arm strength to force balls in. Often they get there, but it's something that needs some work. You've got to like his pocket poise and His display against USC this year where he went something like 22 of 22 to start the game was staggering for a 20 year old. Mechanically he is exactly what you want - feet are good, ball comes out fast, with no wasted motion, from the ear as I mentioned. He steps into his throws and shows all the mental traits of a Tedford QB. The concern is his lack of experience - remember he was a JUCO transfer - and I don't see him starting realistically in the NFL till 2008. His upside is probably higher than that of Leinart, but unlike Leinart, he still has some way to go to fulfil that talent. There is certainly more of a boom or bust mentality with Aaron. If he declares, he will almost certainly come off the board in the first 5 picks at worst.

What positions can we most help ourselves at for next year - immediate impact picks? Let's assume we'll be able to trade down a little bit and pick up at least a couple of high to mid round #2s.

Steveo 90 said:
Congrats Boomer!!! Your thougts on Benson???

Thanks Steveo. Benson.......was really non plussed about him up until this year if I'm truthful. I thought he was overrated and didn't see what all the fuss was about. But I have been proven wrong by him. I have seen Texas on a number of occasions this year and I can't fail to be impressed. He has everything that you require in a good running back. Teams are fortunate this year that there are 3 really nice top line runners in Benson, Williams and Brown and I wouldn't know who to choose really, because all 3 look like they could do some damage at the next level. I'm just impressed by his relentlessness as a runner. The way he seeks out contact, the way he takes on defenders and 75% of the time is knocking them down at the point of impact. He's actually smaller than he looks and you'd prefer to see him add 7-10lbs at the next level to deal with the pounding. He isn't going to beat anyone 70 yards down the field in a footrace like DeAngelo Williams or Cadillac, but he can block, can move the chains and his hands are adequete out of the backfield. My concerns are that he has a lot of carries in him already, that he struggles to create at the 2nd level and his occasional single mindedness - three years of playing baseball despite it not always being in the best interests of UT football and his statement earlier in the year that winning the Heisman was more important than the National Title. But don't buy the "he's the same as Ricky" stuff. Not true. This years Doak Walker winner, he probably will end up being the 3rd back off the board. (I personally would take Ronnie Brown first. Probably :) ). I just don't see him having quite the same impact as Brown or Williams. He is a slightly poorer mans cross between Edgerrin James and Emmitt Smith in style. I think he's a good running back, just not great.

MDolphins2003 said:
If the Phins do end up with (2) 1st rounders....Who would you draft?

If no Mike Williams....(LOL...I kNoW we have depth ;)...) I would like to see Aaron Rogers & Elton Brown drafted come draft day.

Top Pick ~ No Higher than 5th.
2nd Pick ~ No Higher than 15th.

These are my TOP 5 for the PHINS...Wish list!

1) Mike Williams ~ Best PLAYER IN THE DRAFT IN MY BOOK!
2) Antrell Rolle ~ Corner or SAFTEY would be fine with me.
3) Aaron Rogers ~ I like his gameday ability & his mechanics are pretty damn solid.
4) Elton Brown ~ Man this guy is a TANK and can pull.
5) Ahmad Brooks ~ Best inside LB in the draft....in my book.

I did not list a RB because the PHINS should be able to sign either Shawn or EDGE.

Hey M......it's tough to say because I don't know what we will do in free agency. But suffice to say that to my mind, Ronnie Brown, possibly Cadillac because of the INSTANT home run threat he gives our offense, Mark Clayton because of his ability to play the slot to Booker and Chambers outside and his devastation after the catch - if we release Boston - Ferguson, Barron, Brown, Hawthorne, Orien Harris, Wright, Pollack, James, Tuck....would all be solid selections to my mind. There are players at other positions I like - Leinart is a good player, Heath Miller, Rolle and Marlin Jackson and Derrick Johnson, but I don't see us using picks there as we have younger players who have talent who could fill those voids.

I don't see Miami taking Mike Williams, because he is pretty similar to what we have, especially if Boston stays around.

As for Edge and Alexander. I'm not sure we will have the cash for either of those. I would look more at Lamont Jordan and maybe Rudi Johnson, although he will probably cost too much.

Sorry, as that didn't answer your question sufficiently, but it's hard to say for certain when you don't know what will happen in FA, ESPECIALLY with a new coaching staff.

Brad528 said:
Who is the most overrated player in this years draft.

Wow. Good question. Hmmmmm......while I mull over a better answer, it has to be Maurice Clarett. After kicking up such a fuss about being drafted, to turn up to the combine so out of shape was an absolute disgrace.

Plus, whilst he had an excellent freshman year, he didn't stay on the field as much as he should.

I will think of a better example shortly when I have put my thinking cap on.

Hey Boomer, congrats on the baby...did you name him little Zach? Zachette?
:)

Great analysis of Leinert and Rodgers....if we decided to draft down, which of the remaining QB's has the most potential? Smith, LeFors, Orlovsky??? Do you think a 3rd round pick at QB would make the most sense??

MNFINFAN said:
Boomer, congrats on the baby mate! Number 3 is on the way for me so I will be joining you soon in the sleepless nights and the stinky babies! Is this your first?

I am interested in your opinion if Miami ends up with the #3 pick and cannot trade down, who do you think would be the best player available for the Phins, not necessarily best player available but one who would be a good fit for the Phins and be worth the money we would be spending and make a immediate impact.

Thanks MN...kinda mindblowing at the moment! Yeah...the first.

OK, in that scenario.....if we can't move, you have to think that a defensive end, a tailback or maybe, maybe Antrel Rolle depending on what has happened with our secondary. It will be interesting to see the workouts of Pollack, James and Kiwanuku. I am a huge fan of Pollacks because he is consistently excellent, will be a great pro and will start from week 1. James maybe suits our system better because he is so strong and can get after the QB and play the run equally as well. Kiwanuku is the rawest, but with the biggest upside. He could be scary good as a rush end. Of the backs, is Cadillac the guy we want? Well he's the home run hitter this offense lacks and mixing him with Gordon would work. Brown is a quality player, but maybe 3 is too high. Rolle is a hell of a player but you have to question whether a CB fits the need. I don't think Ferguson goes as high as 3 and you would think that the new HC won't want to start his era at the helm with people saying that he reached.

Cadillac and Pollack will start straight away I would think. Rolle I don't see starting because of our depth. James could start, Kiwanuku would be a situation end.

That's how I would see it at this stage. I suppose as well if the team is convinced that Feeley can't do a job, then either Leinart or Rodgers has to be possible, but I think personally it's way too soon to be giving up on AJ.

Hope that helps mate.

stork48 said:
Bueler...... I mean Boomer, give us your unsensored opinion of AJ Feeley, ie.. whether we should keep him or if you think a QB in the draft would be a better way to go.

Congrats on the young'un,

BUELER?

I've been called a lot of things Stork, but Bueler isn't one of them. A closet Ferris Beuller fan? :)

Personally I think it's way too soon to say that he can't be our QB. He has to have at least next season. The progression is there but it's slow. And it will be. Anyone who thought he'd come in and be like Marino was a fool. It always takes time. He has a great arm, can make throws that 90% of NFL passers can't make, is tough and can lead. But he is making the sort of mistakes you'd imagine from a guy who has started minimal games since high school. He stares receivers down too much and he lets his arm overtake him. He needs to take deep breaths and not try and force the ball nearly so often. He needs to work his progressions better and whilst he's learning not to force throws so much and take sacks or throw the ball away, the next step will be to learn to avoid making the force AND avoid taking the sack - using his pocket better to slide, to look underneath, not to let his mechanics go awry because he is feeling the pressure. What I will bet is that after the experience of this season, and with mini camps, the 100% backing of the staff, a training camp, better experience with the talent around him, etc. you will see a totally different QB in 2005. And to give him his absolute due, he isn't being helped by the dropsies week in and week out. And the team has been close late in the 4th Quarter in each of his starts. Given the fact that he has been getting hammered and has no running game to speak of, you simply have to give him a chance.

To that end, I wouldn't advocate drafting a QB in R1 because a) you don't know what you have and b) I can't justify using a 1 and a 2 on a QB when we have so many other holes.

Surferosa said:
Boomer,

Di you catch the Arsenal-Chelsea match?

I did Surf. As an ardent Liverpool fan and anti Chelsea supporter (they are ruining football), I was disappointed Arsenal didn't win.

Back
Top Bottom