Ask Boomer | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

rickeyrunsover said:
Alright Boomer, since the draft is major topic on the boards I will pose this to you.

Assuming Ferguson declares, what do you do at the #2 position, A) draft ferguson, B) draft Leinart/Rodgers, C) trade down and get Barron possibly and add a 2nd rd pick, or D) draft a rb?

If we dont get a LT in the draft, is ther a LT available in FA that could fill the position at a cap figure we could afford and still make a run at Edge or Alexander if we went after a qb with our first pick?

Hey Ricky runs......At the #2 spot I trade down. I don't see Ferguson quite establishing himself as the #2 player and I think there will be teams wanting Rodgers and Rolle for us to shift a little. At this stage, as we stand today, 5-8 would probably end up being good value for Ferguson.

As stated above, I don't think Leinart or Rodgers will be Fins because we won't have a 100% feel for AJ by seasons end. How can you with no running game and a very mediocre OL?

If trading down for and getting Barron and a 2nd rounder was an option then I'd almost certainly take it, although if we dropped from 2, to where Barron was value, I'd want more than just a 2.

Drafting a RB is certainly an option. Again, 2 might be too high.

LT in free agency.....well Buffalo's Jonas Jennings is the best option in terms of value. Stockar McDougale is another. I personally don't think that Wade Smith got bad overnight. I think a lot of that is down to coaching. We are notoriously bad at developing linemen.

As for the aforementioned runners, I think personally they will be out of our price range. Would be nice, but not sure we can afford it.

Boomer said:
I personally would take Ronnie Brown first. Probably :)
LOVE him and his versatility. Size, speed (fastest of the 3), great WR/RB and blocks well as he played a bit of FB for cadillac.
Boomer. Could you give us your feelings on AJ?
I see us going RB and T or S in the first not DT as many have thought. I owuld like to see a 3-4 next year. With out depth at LB and lack of it at DL it only makes sense.

Boomer said:
Cadillac and Pollack will start straight away I would think. Rolle I don't see starting because of our depth. James could start, Kiwanuku would be a situation end.

That's how I would see it at this stage. I suppose as well if the team is convinced that Feeley can't do a job, then either Leinart or Rodgers has to be possible, but I think personally it's way too soon to be giving up on AJ.

Hope that helps mate.

Thanks, that gives me a couple names to watch out for and read up on. This off season is going to be an important one, as we have some good youth on the Defensive side to start replacing our older secondary, I do feel we need to get another big DT in case one of the two we lost to injury (Chester or Bowens) are not able to come back next year. RB is a question, but in my mind almost chicken or the egg, do we pick up a high draft RB or is the OL so bad that we need to fix that because no RB would be able to run behind them??

Take care of that baby, is it a boy or girl? I will have 3 boys come Feb, on my way to a Seven a Side Rugby Team!

Cheers!

Boomer said:
Hey Ricky runs......At the #2 spot I trade down. I don't see Ferguson quite establishing himself as the #2 player and I think there will be teams wanting Rodgers and Rolle for us to shift a little. At this stage, as we stand today, 5-8 would probably end up being good value for Ferguson.

As stated above, I don't think Leinart or Rodgers will be Fins because we won't have a 100% feel for AJ by seasons end. How can you with no running game and a very mediocre OL?

If trading down for and getting Barron and a 2nd rounder was an option then I'd almost certainly take it, although if we dropped from 2, to where Barron was value, I'd want more than just a 2.

Drafting a RB is certainly an option. Again, 2 might be too high.

LT in free agency.....well Buffalo's Jonas Jennings is the best option in terms of value. Stockar McDougale is another. I personally don't think that Wade Smith got bad overnight. I think a lot of that is down to coaching. We are notoriously bad at developing linemen.

As for the aforementioned runners, I think personally they will be out of our price range. Would be nice, but not sure we can afford it.

Thanks boomer, I agree with what you said. It will be an inetresting offseason.

Congrats on the bambino! :drinkers:

NJFINSFAN1 said:
So Boomer, congrat's on the birth of your child to you and your wife!

Little Football player or Cheerleader?

Thanks mate. A little cheerleader.

Agua said:
What positions can we most help ourselves at for next year - immediate impact picks? Let's assume we'll be able to trade down a little bit and pick up at least a couple of high to mid round #2s.

Hey Ag....well there are some decent OG's - Elton Brown, David Baas, Dan Buenning, Jon Clinksale, the kid at Utah and the kid at Mississippi Marcus Johnson.

The corner field is very strong - Rolle, Corey Webster, Carlos Rodgers, Justin Vincent, Bryant McFadden, Marlin Jackson, Jimmy Williams, Adam Jones, Eric Green, etc etc.

And at TB, in Benson, Brown, Cadillac Williams, the excellent DeAngelo Williams if he jumps, Marion Barber, Eric Shelton, McClendon, Fason etc.

Receiver is also decent, with the obvious names.

But to my mind, DE could be the strongest and where the best value is. David Pollack, Mathias Kiwanuku, Erasmus James, Marcus Spears - you speak to 10 scouts and you get 10 different answers as to what the 1-4 order on those guys is. For us, Spears and James do the best job of playing the run and getting to the pass, Spears and Kiwanuku have the biggest upside, Pollack is the most consistent, Kiwanuku could be the best pure sacker, etc etc. But then you have the 2nd tier guys who are all 1st round early 2nd, Justin Tuck, Dan Cody, Matt Roth, Chris Canty, Eric Henderson, etc etc. (Canty will slip because of the injury but is a

TB is always usually the place where you can gain imediate impact or as a rush end, usually situational - look at Terrell Suggs last year and Robert Mathis this.

If we picked up 2 2nd rounders, then you could do a lot worse than Tuck and DeAngelo Williams.

Roman529 said:
Hey Boomer, congrats on the baby...did you name him little Zach? Zachette?
:)

Great analysis of Leinert and Rodgers....if we decided to draft down, which of the remaining QB's has the most potential? Smith, LeFors, Orlovsky??? Do you think a 3rd round pick at QB would make the most sense??

Hey Roman - thanks and no. Don't think it would have gone down too well with the wife!! :)

Here's a couple of QB's who I like, the drums of which I have been banging for a while - Auburn's Jason Campbell - the most intelligent passer coming out, a huge arm, incredibly mobile, 4.5 speed, touch, accuracy. And David Greene of Georgia who just makes plays and makes plays and makes plays. He is calmness personified in the pocket. Can do it all.

As for the guys you mention, Smith is a great college QB, hugely intelligent, mobile. But you have to ask whether Urban Meyer's system isn't a big part of the reason. He remains a bit of a pro enigma, but the sort of guy a team could get very hot for if he proves he's more thna just a system QB. I know LeFors is a hot name on here because of the game he had against UM and most of the people on here are Canes fans and will have seen him then. Like Smith he is an enigma. Personally I don't see him as an NFL passer. The NFL passer on the Louisville roster is the freshman Brian Brohm. Another guy I like who has stunk it up this year, but is too good to just "go away" is Brad Smith of Missouri.

With just 2 picks on day 1, I wouldn't like to see us use ONE on a QB. As said elsewhere in this thread, Feeley simply has to have more time to develop.

Bowl_Bound said:
LOVE him and his versatility. Size, speed (fastest of the 3), great WR/RB and blocks well as he played a bit of FB for cadillac.
Boomer. Could you give us your feelings on AJ?
I see us going RB and T or S in the first not DT as many have thought. I owuld like to see a 3-4 next year. With out depth at LB and lack of it at DL it only makes sense.

Bowl Bound...yeah I like Brown too. But I like DeAngelo Williams as well. And Caddy. And Marion Barber. And Eric Shelton! :)

My opinion of AJ is round this thread. Suffice to say that you can clearly see the slow development but the development nonetheless. You only have to listen to Al Wilson to hear what I think. He has the arm, he needs to learn to be more poised and you consider his inexperience and the fact that he is getting battered week after week with no run game, there is NO doubt in my mind that he will be our starter next season and that Miami WILL NOT use the top 5 pick in a QB. It would be a very poor decision.

There is no way we could go to a 3-4 with our personnel. You couldn't have JT and David Bowens as 3-4 ends. We would get crushed on the ground. Plus, with the probable retirement of Bowens, the fact that Chester is coming off an ACL, we don't have the big DT.

MNFINFAN said:
Thanks, that gives me a couple names to watch out for and read up on. This off season is going to be an important one, as we have some good youth on the Defensive side to start replacing our older secondary, I do feel we need to get another big DT in case one of the two we lost to injury (Chester or Bowens) are not able to come back next year. RB is a question, but in my mind almost chicken or the egg, do we pick up a high draft RB or is the OL so bad that we need to fix that because no RB would be able to run behind them??

Take care of that baby, is it a boy or girl? I will have 3 boys come Feb, on my way to a Seven a Side Rugby Team!

Cheers!

No worries. It really is going to be vital. But it all begins with Huizenga. He needs to establish a new authority. He needs a coach, he needs a President and he has a tough decision to make on his GM. I agree with all your other points, We certainly need a back to allow AJ the time not see blitzes on every down.

It's a girl.

Hey Boomer congrats on your little one...

Hope you can get some rest. :)

Not sure if this is your strong point but, what are your thoughts on our cuurent front office situation... (I know it sucks)

But who in your mind would make a good fit for pres/gm/coach.

And in your mind what are your thoughts on Rick Speilman as GM. He has a shakey year, but he also had a pretty good draft and the jury is still out on Carey and Feely.

I only saw him once but i like what I saw whats your opinion of Darrell Hackney (sp) ??

Hey Boomer, care to rank this draft POSITIONALLY? It's a bit early and much info is yet to be revealed, but...at this juncture...

What would be the top 5 positions of depth in this draft and how would they rank?

Small college players: Ryan Moats of La Tech, Stan Hill and the RB from Marshall.

Valdosta State QB Fabian Walker, thoughts?

Beemer, er ah, Boomer ... you da man. Scenario: Fins decide not to pick a QB with the first pick. A) What team really, really wants to trade up to get Leinhart and 3) Doesn't it look like Mike Williams is the second coming of Randy Moss and too good for Miami to pass up even with their receiving corps?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom