Ask Boomer | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

I've been promoting Erasmus James as a possible Dolphins pick for a while now, Boomer. Unlike some others, I've felt that not getting Ogunleye locked up was a mistake. IMO, James is a player that is very capable of bringing back the production we are lacking with the absence of Adewale Ogunleye. Not only would that move make the defensive left end position better, but it would also make Jason Taylor more effective on the other side.

This is a guy that will go to the combine, weigh in at around 265 lbs, run a 4.6 to 4.7 forty, and shoot up the draft boards.

Two players that at at the top of my board for Miami are Erasmus James and D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

I think the team really needs to get themselves a left tackle. I like Wade Smith's potential, but he was and still is a project. He's got the athleticism and feet to play left tackle, but he is still behind in the strength department. Miami tests their linemen on the bench press with 325 lbs. Most of the linemen on the team can push it up 13+ times. Wade does it around 6 times. He's not there yet, but he has improved over last season when he could barely get 325 lbs up. This lack of strength presents a problem because defensive ends can slap his hands away and get into his body. Once a defender gets into your body as an offensive lineman, you are beat. He also put on some weight this past offseason and may have lost some of his burst off the snap.

Hey Boomer! Im a big fan of Elton Brown. Say we trade down to around the 20 area. Is he worth the pick around there?

Also, if we trade down and get say a 2nd round pick, how do you like Jason Campbell QB from Auburn? I think a mobile QB with an arm is what Miami needs.

Hey Boomer..first of all congrats on the baby.

My Question - What are your views on Adrian McPherson and T.A. McLendon being good mid rounders?

Hey Boomer, I am actually a fan of yours. Draft time is my favorite time of the year. I am usually looking at mock drafts as early as September. I have a few questions. One, would you trade Surtain. I love the guy and he is very talented, but we do have some talent and depth at that position. We also need to start spending some money on the offense and with him being a FA next year and his stock still pretty high, I think it might have to be done.

Two, I am very high on DeAngelo Williams. If he declares where do you see him going? This draft seems to be deep at RB and with the overstock of good backs in the league some of those guys might end up falling. Do you think if Miami trades down and ends up with a high second they will have a shot at him?

Lastly, an interesting name to me is Adrian McPhereson. I have read some impressive things about him. I know he has character issues, but he has a big arm and is incredibly athletic. Would he be worth a late round pick and will he even last that long as many times players like him become hot and teams take a chance on him a little earlier than expected.

Thanks for the time. It is great to get some good insight from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

rhadaddy said:
Hope you can get some rest. :)

Not sure if this is your strong point but, what are your thoughts on our cuurent front office situation... (I know it sucks)

But who in your mind would make a good fit for pres/gm/coach.

And in your mind what are your thoughts on Rick Speilman as GM. He has a shakey year, but he also had a pretty good draft and the jury is still out on Carey and Feely.

Hey rha....what I think the most important thing that needs doing is that Wayne Huizenga or Eddie Jones needs to sit down with the media and set out their plan. They need to let people, let the fans know that they are in control, that this isn't come rudderless ship lurching from one disaster to another. They need to spell out that they know who they want for the HC job and that they have identified x amount of people. As for the Presidents job, they need to do exactly the same - say that they have identified x amount of people and that they know who they are looking at. They need to say that they have the full confidence in Rick Spielman and that he has done a good job, but that Spielman's situation will be re-evaluated at seasons end so as to fit in with the potential plans of the HC.

They also need to say that the FA and draft plans are full steam ahead and that they are totally commited to turning this thing around as quickly as possible. They also need to say whether Marino is coming back or not. This can't lurch on from week to week, month to month. Otherwise it becomes another PR disaster. He either wants a role or he doesn't. We can't let sentimentality rule our future. I love Marino but is has to be Huizenga's decision. Harsh but fair.

The bottom line has to be that in the short term, as we lunge towards 2-14, people need to know that there is a plan and that it is a plan that is going to succeed.

In terms of good pres/GM/coach....I wanted Jim Steeg as President but he has gone to the Chargers. I think Jeff Diamond could do a job and George Bodenheimer who is the President of ESPN is the sort of combination sports and business mind that we need.

As for head coaches, my personal choices would be Nick Saban, Brad Childress or Mark Richt. Saban's knowledge of the NFL, his work with Bill Belichick and his coaching abilities make him a really strong possibility. As for Childress, he is a great co-ordinator and could bring a number of quality staff from Philly with him - John Harbaugh as ST coach and Steve Spagnuolo as DC. Spagnuolo is responsible for the development of Brian Dawkins, Lito Sheperd, Michael Lewis, Bobby Taylor, Sheldon Brown, etc.

As for GM, I think Spielman has had it tough. Of course he will live and die with the Feeley trade, which, by the way, looks a little better each week. Personally I think he should get another year. People complained that he didn't sign Mark Brunell or Kurt Warner or Jeff Garcia - those decisions have been vindicated. They moaned that he didn't sign John Tait and Damian Woody, but both were vastly overpaid and Tait has had an average year, whilst Woody has, until a few weeks ago, been a huge disappointment - he came in overweight and struggled to establish himself. Spielman is a good scouter of talent - the past draft has brought decent players to the table - it isn't his fault that Vernon Carey is lazy in the weight room, etc. We all know that he wanted to draft Anquan Boldin, although Eddie Moore now looks a decent pick-up. Reggie Howard is a starting CB not a nickel back which is why he looks lost, Jeno James has struggled to support the rest of the line, St Clair has been decent, McIntosh is clearly not 100% because he's not the player I saw a lot of at San Diego. Boston was a great deal - that wasn't Spielman's fault either. I felt the Gordon trade was a bit of a rushed deal, but I thought the Ogunleye deal was as good as we could have gotten. Booker is a quality #2 WR. If he does go, the usual suspects like Scott Pioli and Phil Savage would be great. But like I say, unless it's Nick Saban, I think Spielman will stay.

zeke0123 said:
I only saw him once but i like what I saw whats your opinion of Darrell Hackney (sp) ??

I have only seen a half of UAB so I'm not in a great position to judge. That said, he's a junior and unlikely to declare as he clearly has more to offer at the college level. His injuries have stunted his growth some as a performer, but he has a great arm and the sort of size and mobility that you associate with a potential NFL passer. I think he'll be a mid round pick next year, depending on whether he can stay healthy, but he can certainly get the ball down the field with some velocity and has nice upside if he continues to develop.

PhinstiGator said:
Hey Boomer, care to rank this draft POSITIONALLY? It's a bit early and much info is yet to be revealed, but...at this juncture...

What would be the top 5 positions of depth in this draft and how would they rank?

Toughie Phins......I think the top 3 certainly would be DE, CB and TB. At DE you have a lot of players that could go in round 1 - James, Kiwanuku, Spears Pollack, Cody, Tuck, etc etc etc. Same with corner - 6/7 really nice looking players. And at TB, there are at least 5 goodies in Benson, Cadillac, Brown, Barber and DeAngelo Williams. And with the declaration of TA McClendon, who, if he can ever stay healthy is probably a top 65 pick, it only adds to the quality. No matter the year, these are strong classes.

DT is very weak.

FinsOnTop said:
Beemer, er ah, Boomer ... you da man. Scenario: Fins decide not to pick a QB with the first pick. A) What team really, really wants to trade up to get Leinhart and 3) Doesn't it look like Mike Williams is the second coming of Randy Moss and too good for Miami to pass up even with their receiving corps?

Thanks.

Thanks Fins.

A) Well, teams that need QB's.....49ers, possibly Arizona, Oakland, Cleveland and the wild card, Green Bay. Leinart would suit all those systems. And you could easily see him in any of those uniforms. Green Bay will probably be too far away and have too many holes on defense to move up. But the others could easily shift up and get him. (The 9ers may well get him anyway if they end up 1st).

42) No, Williams doesn't have the Moss speed to be the second coming. He has great hands and great body contol like Moss, but he isn't going to get behind NFL safeties the way the former FSU, Notre Dame and Marshall WR does. Remember, he tends to round his routes off and he's missed a year's football. He is very similar to what we have. Good player, huge upside, but similar.

NorFlaFin said:
Small college players: Ryan Moats of La Tech, Stan Hill and the RB from Marshall.

Valdosta State QB Fabian Walker, thoughts?

Moats.....he's very small, more of a situational type I think. Plus I don't see him coming out. He hastremendous hands, great quicks and can go to the house. Would be the perfect scat back/3rd down back for me.

Hill is a player I like and I think he could be a solid back up. I watched him a couple of times standing in for Byron Leftwich

Which TB do u mean? Earl Charles? Like Hill, looks a good number 2 back. He can take players on, run people over and has better hands than people give him credit for. Looking forward to seeing Patrick Cobbs later.

As for other small type players - I like a couple of juniors, Walter Washington at Temple and Jay Cutler at Vanderbilt. Don't think they will declare, but 2 to keep an eye on. Troy Williamson at South Carolina - not a huge small schooler, but as a junior, if he comes out he could be a force. Vincent Jackson at Northern Colorado is a big WR who looks a propsect. And look out for the #1 JUCO player Larry Brackens, a huge WR who runs a 4.4 and is jumping ship from Pearl River CC to the pros. And Stefan Rodgers at Lambuth is a player that Miami have scouted in person. He's an athletic tackle. I haven't however seen Lambuth play - their tapes are hard to get in London!! Mark Walker, a CB at TCU is one to keep an eye on.

Fabian Walker struggled with consistency at FSU. He always seemed to flatter to deceive when he played for the Noles. He's dominated at Valdosta, but you have to check the level of competition.

KBISBACK said:
I've been promoting Erasmus James as a possible Dolphins pick for a while now, Boomer. Unlike some others, I've felt that not getting Ogunleye locked up was a mistake. IMO, James is a player that is very capable of bringing back the production we are lacking with the absence of Adewale Ogunleye. Not only would that move make the defensive left end position better, but it would also make Jason Taylor more effective on the other side.

This is a guy that will go to the combine, weigh in at around 265 lbs, run a 4.6 to 4.7 forty, and shoot up the draft boards.

Two players that at at the top of my board for Miami are Erasmus James and D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

I think the team really needs to get themselves a left tackle. I like Wade Smith's potential, but he was and still is a project. He's got the athleticism and feet to play left tackle, but he is still behind in the strength department. Miami tests their linemen on the bench press with 325 lbs. Most of the linemen on the team can push it up 13+ times. Wade does it around 6 times. He's not there yet, but he has improved over last season when he could barely get 325 lbs up. This lack of strength presents a problem because defensive ends can slap his hands away and get into his body. Once a defender gets into your body as an offensive lineman, you are beat. He also put on some weight this past offseason and may have lost some of his burst off the snap.

I agree with all that. James has the run/pass rush combo that we crave at LDE.

Nappy Roots said:
Hey Boomer! Im a big fan of Elton Brown. Say we trade down to around the 20 area. Is he worth the pick around there?

Also, if we trade down and get say a 2nd round pick, how do you like Jason Campbell QB from Auburn? I think a mobile QB with an arm is what Miami needs.

Hey Nappy. I like Brown a lot too. I think he's the number one G. I would have to say as we stand today, he represents excellent value in that 20 area.

I really like Campbell. As stated elsewhere in this thread, I think he has everything you look for in a future NFL starter. The 'concern' would be that he moves up into the 1st round range as you know he's going to do really well on and off the field at the Senior Bowl week and at the Combine because he has all he tools and he's going to interview well.

Hate to bug you Boomer, but I will :evil:
What do you think about the S crop. I could see us letting go of both Freeman & Knight. What are your thoughts on Bell? Which S position would you see him playing, and do you see a S that may be available in the 3-4th rounds that coulc come in and start?
I have seen Bing from USC and he impresses me with both speed and size. He can come out despite the fact he is a sophmore.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=137028
Linky above.

Boomer, I know they're not eligible, but what are your thoughts on the pro potential of Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, and LenDale White (very underrated IMO)?

WelcomeBack said:
Hey Boomer..first of all congrats on the baby.

My Question - What are your views on Adrian McPherson and T.A. McLendon being good mid rounders?

Thanks Welcome Back......

McClendon is coming out. If he can prove that he can stay healthy, he has to be a second round pick. He may slip BECAUSE of the injuries and his inability to hold onto the ball at times.

McPherson is a fascinating prospect. He looked like a potential star in the making at FSU before his problems. And they were big problems - gambling by athletes is a real no-no. He has proved over a small period of time that he has matured and has shown regret. He is very raw, despite his dominating Arena performances. He has a monster arm, he is very mobile, has great size and if he gets a good QB coach, the upside is spectacular. He's not a QB yet though. He's a passer. There is a huge difference. He has to learn the nuances of the position. He has to develop touch - something you don't need a lot of indoors. But he's 6'4, 210, with confirmed 4.51 speed, he's a quick learner, he can throw well on the run and the bottom line is...he didn't kill anyone, he didn't hurt anyone. He made a mistake as an 18 year old kid.

I'm not 100% sure if he will declare as I know that he feels that he owes the ownership at Indiana something for the faith they showed in him. His workouts will be fascinating affairs. He could really go anywhere. You could easily see a team dangle a late 3 at him.

Hi Boomer: thanks for taking the time to do this, it's much appreciated.

As a follow-up to the issue of the Phins' front office; do you think it would be wise to hire a strong President with not only a business background, but one that also has a clear football vision for the team's future?

As a life-long businessman, my take is that if you put a President in place that fits that description, and let him direct the franchise's rebuilding - including hiring the GM and HC - then you would have one team pointed in one direction to begin with, and it would minimize political & ego conflicts later.

Do you think that is important? Do you think it is the course HWH will follow, or will he hire as candidates become available, each position indepent of the others?

Back
Top Bottom