Ask Boomer | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

Where do you think UNT's Jamarrio Thomas is going to go in the draft, while UNT is getting stomped, I'm watching this guy do some amazing things on the field. If he is a mid-level draft choice, I'd love to pick him up with our questions at RB. He has better stats than ADrian Peterson I believe (he still does play for the Sun Belt conference though, but still)

Man the Freshman and Sophmore RBs are going to be amazing in a few years when they can be drafted, it is unfortunate that by that time we will be better and not picking in the Top 10, well we better not be drafting in the top 10 unless we traded up to get there.

Hey Boomer, I think your "girly whirly" is your first...?, are you a late bloomer or still a youngster? From your answers you sound very mature and knowledgable so I think your a late bloomer. Not like this matters but I just wanted to let you know your in for a lot of fun and good times with your new addition, be careful she will steal your heart.

My question is simple what do you think of Pope ,Bua, Hadnot,Moore and Poole and do you think they are serious future teamers? Also I see you believe we need a Back to help Feeley but do you think we could pick up Lamont Jordan? I for one don't think he will have a huge price tag and I like the big tough type of back he is, we could have a nice change of pace with him and Gordon in the backfield or will there be any quality picks in the later rds so we can focus on both the O and D lines with our higher picks.

Boomer said:
All that you say is spot on. Alas I think HWH will do it all around the wrong way. Coach will be 1st, then GM if he dumps Spielman and then President as Jones has said that he will be in charge till the owners meetings in March. He has mentioned he would step down before that point if need be, but if he's leading the search for the new head coach, you get the impression that the team is going to get a new HC before is gets a new President.

This is exactly what I've been thinking about the last few months. IMO we're going about this completely backwards.

Intentionally or not, I feel that Eddie Jones is messing this thing up. Idealy, you hire a president, then a GM, then a coach. But not us. It looks like we'll be hiring a coach, then maybe a new GM, then a president. IMO, the balance of power end up all topsy turvy.

Eddie Jones needs to step down ASAP.

Hey Simon, long time we don't talk. I'm hapy for you about your little girl.2 questions, first,what DT or DE can we get in free agency and the other is about the world cup. I know is early but how do you see the azzuri(Italy) doing and who's the early favorite to win the cup.

Ozzy rules!!

boomer - ive always thought miami should draft more hurricanes than they have despite previous disappointments i.e. randall hill, yatil green and quite possibly carey - without the blockbuster amount of first rounders this year, who do you think could help the fins at any position or any round this year?

"and even if we win, if we win, HAH! even if we play so far above our heads that our noses bleed for a week to 10 days - even if god in heaven above points his hand at our side of the field - even if every man, woman and child joined hands together and prayed for us to win, it just just wouldn't matter because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guys from all the other teams because they got all the wins! it just doesn't matter if we win or if we lose" - IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER - IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!

Muck said:
This is exactly what I've been thinking about the last few months. IMO we're going about this completely backwards.

Intentionally or not, I feel that Eddie Jones is messing this thing up. Idealy, you hire a president, then a GM, then a coach. But not us. It looks like we'll be hiring a coach, then maybe a new GM, then a president. IMO, the balance of power end up all topsy turvy.

Eddie Jones needs to step down ASAP.

Muck, IMO it's HWH that needs to step in with the vision; Jones just wants to get the heck out, he's been trying to quit for almost three years now.

I'll never be one of the Huizenga bashers, but I do put this squarely on him.

Hey Boomer First off congrats on your daughter, I have two of my own and they are a blessing. Now on to my questions, I believe to fix this team we start in the trenches. I believe our biggest holes on offense are at LT and C. My first question is about John St. Clair, can he play C. I know he was a C in college, but there has to be a reason he was moved. Secondly, if he cant play C my choice would be to draft Ben Wilkerson. With the injury though where do you think he will fall? And could he start right away?

Side note love the Adrian McPhearson write up, I have been banging this kids drum for a little while now. Really liked him at FSU, and while he was wrong he was also 18. He has the potential to be the next Vick, and in the late 3rd early 4th would be a nice addition.

NaboCane said:
Muck, IMO it's HWH that needs to step in with the vision; Jones just wants to get the heck out, he's been trying to quit for almost three years now.

I'll never be one of the Huizenga bashers, but I do put this squarely on him.

I just thought it was a case of him hanging onto something he loved the last few years. Like Ozzfest or Roger Clemens. But I really don't know one way or the other.

Either way you're right. HWH needs to hire a President ASAP.

Bommer,

Sorry if this has been asked but if the Dolphins keep there pick (at either two or three) given the likelyhood of some juniors coming out who would you predict they take?

BTW, Say Hi to Becks when you see him around town

WelcomeBack said:
Thanx for the answers...one more question if I may.

What are the analysis' on Craig Bragg and Manuel White Jr?...also..what are the chances that Drew Olson comes out of college and is a Decent NFL QB?

No worries mate. That's what I'm here for.

Bragg....has good size, good speed and he gets no respect whatsoever. But he can play, he can return kicks and he can get behind the secondary. But for all his talents, he never has dominated in the way that you think he should considering what he brings to the table. I think he could end up having the same sort of impact as another former PAC 10 reciever, TJ Houshmandzadeh - a solid #3 type who comes to work, gets the job done and gets on with it with minimum fuss.

White Jr....he's a versatile player who I suspect will be a fulltime FB at the next level. But I suspect he will get some carries at TB occasionally, be a standout ST player and a solid 4th/5th/6th rounder. He has excellent hands out of the backfield, is a decent lead blocker, although you'd like him to be a bit more aggressive at times and does an excellent job of sliding and picking up blitzers away from his side of the field. If we get rid of Rob Konrad, he would be an excellent pick up for Miami.

Olson seemed more poised after the transfer of Matt Moore, but he still needs to show more consistency and continue his development. I think he would be the 1st to admit that he didn't set the PAC 10 alight this year and I think it would be a very poor decision on his part if he left UCLA as a junior.

Philter25 said:
Congrats on the baby boomer, keep pluggin bro, good things always happen!

Anywho I dont think anyone asked, if you were GM with the #2 pick in the draft, what do you do?

I feel that with 2 1st rounders, Dallas is the most likely to trade up to try to get Antrelle Rolle. Dallas needs a CB and after Rolle, I think there is a substantial drop off in talent......

Taking our personnel and salary cap into consideration, I have come up with 2 scenarios that seem to be the most cap friendly:

1) I would trade down the pick to dallas and get their top 1st round pick.... should be a mid round pick and get their 2nd and a 3rd. (and picks next year)I draft Ronnie Brown as a mid 1st round pick and then take Wilkerson in the mid 2nd round. I try to trade up to get and earlier second with our latter picks to take Hawthorne or the best DT available.

I sign a LT in the offseason through free agency. Therefore you get a potential franchise RB in the mid 1st round at a rookies salary, get a starting DT to take over for TimBo, and get a proven LT who can start and isnt a project.

I too feel Ferguson would be the best LT in the draft, but we have a lot of needs to fill and a semi-tight cap situation that I dont feel we can use the #2 pick and need to trade it down..... especially without our #2 round pick

2) Again, I trade down to Dallas so they can take Rolle and we acquire their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (and picks next year). If Ferguson enters the draft, I take Alex Barron with our 1st rounder, Wilkerson with our 2nd rounder, and then Arrington or the best RB available in the 3rd round. Therefore you sign a DT in the offseason through free agency.

..... I have my theories, what do you do? (there are millions of options because we have sooo many stinkin holes and no 2nd rounder. UGG!)

Cheers Philter.....

To answer your very 1st question, I make sure that we are aggressive from day 1 of free agency and secure some back-up safety talent like Idrees Bashir and Keion Carpenter, I try my damndest to sign Buffalo's Pat Williams, I scour a pretty deep DT field - Shaun Rodgers (we have no chance at probably the best available player in FA), Chris Hovan, Rocky Bernard, Corey Simon, etc. I look to add a C and see the market value of Buffalo's Jonas Jennings. I see how the market pans out for Rudi Johnson and Lamont Jordan and I do the same with the WR market depending on the status of David Boston. Someone like NE's David Patton would make a very good #3.

In the draft, I am working the phones trying to trade down, filtering impressive private workout details of highly ranked and potentially coveted players to generate extra interest. I essentially do whatever's possible. Then I try and secure a trade in the hope of picking up 2 number ones or one #1, #2 and a #1 next year and I look at adding someone like LSU's Marcus Spears, a LT if we haven't secured one in FA, a G like David Baas or Elton Brown, a WR like Mark Clayton or a TB like DeAngelo Williams. Something like that.

But of course a hell of a lot depends on free agency.

As for your theories, I think Wilkerson will drop a little more because he won't in all likelihood be able to work out pre-draft. I think because of the lack of talent at DT that Hawthorne will go higher than that.

I also hope that a team, be it Dallas or anyone, falls in love with Rolle because there are some excellent corners in this draft. What would work in our favour is if some of the juniors like Justin Vincent etc decide to stay in school.

MarinoEqualsGod said:
Boomer, who's the biggest sleeper in this year's draft...Also, where do you see Cadillac falling.

Hey Marino.....that's a good question. I tell you a guy I really like, who I think has huge upside potential but because of circumstance is pretty raw and who has had a pretty rough deal with college athletics is Memphis DT Albert Means. I remember seeing some clips of him at High School and then following hin through the Alabama Recruiting scandal and the terrible impact that it had on him and his mother. I don't think he ever settled into life as a collegian, but I think he has the size, the speed and the desire to be a hell of an NFL defensive tackle. He needs to be better conditioned, but I think he might just be a star given the right coaching.

I also like Anthony Alabi, a LT from TCU and Tennessee running back Cedric Houston is a guy who I remember seeing in Sports Illustrated as a high school player after scoring 12 TD's in one game. To that end I followed his HS and college career closely, speaking to his HS coach once about him. He doesn't have the computer numbers, but I've always felt he is an NFL back rather than a college runner. Luis Castillo impresses me as well, as an early day 2 player with a great engine.

But Means would be my big sleeper I suppose.

MarinoEqualsGod said:
Boomer, where do you see Cadillac falling.

I don't think he falls out of the top 20. TB's tend to fall a little further than perhaps they should, simply because it's proved year after year that you can nab a franchise type back from the later rounds. But with his gamebreaking ability, his versatility and his quicks, you'd have think it would be a real surprise if he fell any further. To that end, you have to think that if Miami is serious about running the football, a 1-2 punch of Lamar Gordon and Carnell Williams is a very appetising prospect.

Back
Top Bottom