Ask Boomer | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

Boomer said:
I don't think he falls out of the top 20. TB's tend to fall a little further than perhaps they should, simply because it's proved year after year that you can nab a franchise type back from the later rounds. But with his gamebreaking ability, his versatility and his quicks, you'd have think it would be a real surprise if he fell any further. To that end, you have to think that if Miami is serious about running the football, a 1-2 punch of Lamar Gordon and Carnell Williams is a very appetising prospect.

Do you think that Gordon-Williams would be a better combo than Gordon-Brown? I understand that the former provides more diversity especially size, however Ronnie is the faster back I believe. Carnell runs a 4.5 and Ronnie a 4.4-4.45 and has the widest array of talents.

Gunner4u65 said:
Thanks Boomer,

Im glad I am not the only one feels our top pick is worth two #1s in return. I have seen so much talk about trading down and only getting one and a bunch of lower round picks, I was beginning to think I was the one out of my mind. With a lot of teams using that pick value chart, it would seem we could/should be able to trade down and not get shafted ... but then we are talking about Rick Speilman here ... if he is still around after the season. I was pleased with his late round picks this year but his trades, free agents & top of the draft selections havent panned out yet. We will see ...

So Cambell has risen that far eh? Too bad, I'd love to see him come in with the Fins and be the QB of the future. I am not sold on AJ yet although he has impressed me with his toughness. If we trade down and get a #2 in the deal, my vote is to grab him. With two picks in the first round we could potentially nab Ferguson & Brown which would shore up a large portion of our offense. Then if we could land a solid guard in free agency, I think we would be set.

:D Uncle Sam doesnt pay his soldiers enough to fly people around the world at our every whim unfortunately. But if you want me to scout some players for ya when that week comes around, drop me an email and I'll do my best. I'll have my digital cam with me to take some .mpeg movies ... etc.

Thanks again,

Gunner

Don't forget when you talk aboutG's, that it's no coincidence that the OL is performing better with the instatement of Rex Hadnot on the right side and Jeno James didn't become a mediocre player overnight. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hadnot and Carey on the right side with James and someone else on the right side and perhaps the Oklahoma OC starting at the pivot if we get a 2nd rounder.

As for the Senior Bowl, let me know what you think of different players, keep a track on who Rick hangs out with, especially in the hotel lobby. And as a soldier, stay safe.

feelthepain said:
Hey Boomer, I think your "girly whirly" is your first...?, are you a late bloomer or still a youngster? From your answers you sound very mature and knowledgable so I think your a late bloomer. Not like this matters but I just wanted to let you know your in for a lot of fun and good times with your new addition, be careful she will steal your heart.

My question is simple what do you think of Pope ,Bua, Hadnot,Moore and Poole and do you think they are serious future teamers? Also I see you believe we need a Back to help Feeley but do you think we could pick up Lamont Jordan? I for one don't think he will have a huge price tag and I like the big tough type of back he is, we could have a nice change of pace with him and Gordon in the backfield or will there be any quality picks in the later rds so we can focus on both the O and D lines with our higher picks.

Hey feelthepain....she is the first. Does nearly 31 make me a late bloomer or a youngster? :)

I think the names that you mention will all be decent starters except Bua. I think Pope can be a very proficient MLB. Not Zach Thomas by any stretch, but dependable, a guy who mkaes plays week in and week out, doesn't get a whole host of clippings but just does the job.

Bua I think will be a decent back-up and a hell of a ST player in the mold of a Larry Izzo. Every team needs someone like Bua on its roster.

Hadnot was an All Conference guy at Houston and as I said I think in the answer above, it's no coincidence that the OL has improved with him starting. He is very aggressive and has excellent feet, plays well in tight spaces and should be there for 8-10 years.

Moore was a player that Miami spent a lot of time with pre-draft and who was probably the number 1 pass coverage LB in that draft. I think like Hadnot and Pope he becomes a very competent starter.

Poole is the player I think could develop into the really good player. If you check out the 2004 draft central here at FH, he was my number 1 rated corner. Every time I saw him for SC he was involved in making plays, forcing fumbles, big hits, great coverage. I think given time he'll develop into a very good starting corner.

Overall, when you look at that 5, that's a hell of a haul when you consider that all but one of them came on day 2.

As for TB's, Jordan and Rudi Johnson are 2 backs I like a lot. I'm not sure, despite all their posturing, that Herm Edwards and Terry Bradway will let Jordan go. As for later round backs, I like as I said earlier, Cedric Houston is a guy I like, as is Eric Shelton of Louisville, although both are probably day 1 picks. I think Shelton especially is a huge talent - if I was Bill Cowher, I might be using my late 2nd rounder on him if he's still there. I always think we do a poor job offensively of creating match-ups and we have never done much of a job of moving a guy round and getting him one on one down the field or short underneath, screens etc. To that end, Darren Sproles would be an interesting late round addition because of his ability to make things happen in the open field. Ryan Grant of Notre Dame and even Chance Kretschmer are late round/FA types worth a look.

Thanks Boomer, as for your question....your still a youngster. That says a lot about your Knowledge for the game. Keep up the good work. I enjoy reading your comments and look forward to the draft and your post draft opinons.

Boomer said:
To that end, Darren Sproles would be an interesting late round addition because of his ability to make things happen in the open field.

LIGHTNING IN A BOTTLE. If he was bigger he culd be the top back overall. Very fast and elusive.

Boomer said:
I did Surf. As an ardent Liverpool fan and anti Chelsea supporter (they are ruining football), I was disappointed Arsenal didn't win.
Italian soccer....Juventus...that's where it's at mate. :)

The Boom Boom train has arrived :D

- People talk about Erasmus James, David Pollack and Daivd Cody but the one guy that intrigues me at DE is Mathias Kiwanuka (6'8 250 pds). Do you think he'll declare ? If so where do you think he'll be picked ?

- Why has Orlovsky fallen on some many draft boards ? I assume he hasn't had a very good end to the season but while he was a first rounder earlier this year i've seen him drop down to the 3rd recently.

- I havn't seen enough from both to form a constructive opinion but every time I read about Marlin Jackson it seems he's blanketing the top WR on the other side and doing it well. Why would you pick Antrel Rolle before him ?

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work man.

Hey Boomer, you have mentioned going after guys like Jordan (who I like alot) and Johnson in FA and also mentioned getting a back in the draft (either early in the first with a guy like Cadillac or later in the first with a guy like DeAngelo WIlliams). Which would you prefer. I know if we lock up a guy like Jordan that would ensure we have a good back istead of hoping we land one in the draft, but with the depth at RB in the draft would you wait out and try and get someone there?

Also, a name I havent really heard alot around here is Ciatrick Fason. I think his combination of size and speed could translate well into the NFL and I think his best days are ahead of him. If he comes out, he may slip into the middle of the second round I would think. What are your thoughts on him?

Oklahoma's center, Vince Carter, lacks the core strength to be a starter at center in the NFL, and he lacks the versaitility to play any other position. I think he's an overrated prospect.

hey boomer, what do you think about Alex Smith? could he be a future NFL star? he is the top QB in the draft in my book

Great analysis' Boomer.Thanks for the wonderful insight.

I know everyone's talking about the draft,but what do you think of The Sporting News naming Zach Thomas an overrated player?I think it is a complete outrage that he is not getting the respect he deserves.This man is everywhere on the field and is always at the play.After almost every defensive play you are sure enough to look and see #54 in the small crowd.

Danny said:
Hey Simon, long time we don't talk. I'm hapy for you about your little girl.2 questions, first,what DT or DE can we get in free agency and the other is about the world cup. I know is early but how do you see the azzuri(Italy) doing and who's the early favorite to win the cup.

Ozzy rules!!

Hey Danny, yeah long time mate. Thanks......

OK, I haven't seen a definitive FA list but the DT's look a little like this:
Shaun Rogers
Pat Williams
Chris Hovan
Corey Simon
Rocky Bernard
Seth Payne (More of a pure NT)
Josh Evans
Jason Ferguson
Leonardo Carson
Chad Eaton
Shaun Rogers
Chris Hovan
Corey Simon
Rocky Bernard
Joe Salave'a

DE:
Marques Douglas
Anthony Weaver
Reggie Haywood
Raheem Brock
Jarvis Green
John Abraham/Shaun Ellis (Can the Jets retain both?)
Bobby Hamilton
Carlos Hall
Darren Howard
Peppi Zellner
Kavika Pittman
Derrick Burgess
Hugh Douglas
Andre Carter
Chike Okeafor

Of the DT's, Simon, Hovan, Williams and Bernard are intriguing. No way that Detroit lets Rogers go. The Vikes and Eagles have already indicated that Hovan and Simon will be let go.

Of the ends, Darren Howard would be the stud there. Can't see the Jets letting both their studs go and we couldn't afford either anyway. Andre Carter would be nice but again, the 9ers would be mad to let him go. Jarvis Green is a nice player but would probably be after starters money.

Italy? Good team but after seeing them in The European Championships, I can't see it. Spain have one hell of a side, as do Brazil - what's new.

d-day said:
boomer - ive always thought miami should draft more hurricanes than they have despite previous disappointments i.e. randall hill, yatil green and quite possibly carey - without the blockbuster amount of first rounders this year, who do you think could help the fins at any position or any round this year?

"and even if we win, if we win, HAH! even if we play so far above our heads that our noses bleed for a week to 10 days - even if god in heaven above points his hand at our side of the field - even if every man, woman and child joined hands together and prayed for us to win, it just just wouldn't matter because all the really good looking girls would still go out with the guys from all the other teams because they got all the wins! it just doesn't matter if we win or if we lose" - IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER - IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!

D-day - whilst it's fair that UM sends a lot of players to the NFL, it's also fair that a lot of other universities do too and we don't ever hear the media bleating about why we don't draft more players from USC or Oklahoma or Sam Houston State. I think the media use it as a reason to moan about the state of the team. I also think that a lot of the Canes players go higher early than when we pick.

If Miami can come away from this draft with an impact defensive lineman, an impact offensive lineman, a safety, a running back, a receiver and some hope, things will be OK. The absolute priority is this:

Sort the trenches offensively and defensively and get a playmaker on offense, preferably at the tailback spot that frightens teams and takes that 8th and 9th man out of the box and gives our QB, AJ Feeley the time to make plays with his arm. You get that right and you half way there. Look at the Patriots. Yeah they have Brady, but they have a no nonsense OL and the best DL rotation in the NFL. You win games in the trenches.

Fins2theend said:
Hey Boomer First off congrats on your daughter, I have two of my own and they are a blessing. Now on to my questions, I believe to fix this team we start in the trenches. I believe our biggest holes on offense are at LT and C. My first question is about John St. Clair, can he play C. I know he was a C in college, but there has to be a reason he was moved. Secondly, if he cant play C my choice would be to draft Ben Wilkerson. With the injury though where do you think he will fall? And could he start right away?

Side note love the Adrian McPhearson write up, I have been banging this kids drum for a little while now. Really liked him at FSU, and while he was wrong he was also 18. He has the potential to be the next Vick, and in the late 3rd early 4th would be a nice addition.

Thanks Fins. She's amazing.

I believe that too mate. As I say in the post above, its the trenches that win games. Ah the eternal John St Clair OC question. Well, he was an All American center at Virginia, but despite his RT troubles in St Louis and injuries to Dave Wolabaugh and Andy McCollum he never played there. Plus, with McKinney's problems, he has never taken a snap at OC. There HAS TO BE a reason for this. HAS TO BE. The coaches know he could/has played there. I don't have an answer, but 2 sets of coaching staff can't be wrong.

Wilkerson is one of my favourite collegians. Just a solid football player. I think the injury will mean that he can't work out pre-draft...I think....and this will probably drop him to the 3rd round. Will he start NFL week 1 2005? If he's healthy, he has the experience.

As for McPherson...thanks....he has a long way to go and a lot to prove about himself, but his upside could be off the charts.

Back
Top Bottom