Ask Boomer | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

so if miami hires Saban do you think he would draft a quarterback?

sports24/7 said:
Hey Boomer, I am actually a fan of yours. Draft time is my favorite time of the year. I am usually looking at mock drafts as early as September. I have a few questions. One, would you trade Surtain. I love the guy and he is very talented, but we do have some talent and depth at that position. We also need to start spending some money on the offense and with him being a FA next year and his stock still pretty high, I think it might have to be done.

Two, I am very high on DeAngelo Williams. If he declares where do you see him going? This draft seems to be deep at RB and with the overstock of good backs in the league some of those guys might end up falling. Do you think if Miami trades down and ends up with a high second they will have a shot at him?

Lastly, an interesting name to me is Adrian McPhereson. I have read some impressive things about him. I know he has character issues, but he has a big arm and is incredibly athletic. Would he be worth a late round pick and will he even last that long as many times players like him become hot and teams take a chance on him a little earlier than expected.

Thanks for the time. It is great to get some good insight from someone who really knows what they are talking about.

Thanks 24/7. Nice to know you appreciate the work mate.

Would I trade Surtain? Well, without wanting to turn this into a "how much is Surtain worth" thread I don't think his trade value is nearly as much as some people say it is. Closing in on 30, with 2 dodgy knees and whose play has slipped some this year, I don't see him being worth more than a 3rd rounder. You have to weigh up the draft class - very strong - and see that teams simply in this day and age aren't going to give up picks for players anymore. What I think of Surtain is that he is a tremendous ball player and a great run support tackler. In our scheme, he could be a standout safety. He reads the play well and could patrol the deep field and lengthen his career, allowing Will Poole the chance to bump to the starters spot.

I too am very high on Williams. I have seen him three times this year and been supremely impressed with him. Small, but he has TREMENDOUS strength, amazing body lean and a set of wheels that blows you away. He can get to the edge in a flash and each time I've seen him, he dominates. I think he is a 1st/2nd rounder and would be a heck of a pick-up. Love the guy. Love him.

As for McPherson, check out the above reply.

No worries - glad to have tried to answer your questions.

Bowl_Bound said:
Hate to bug you Boomer, but I will :evil:
What do you think about the S crop. I could see us letting go of both Freeman & Knight. What are your thoughts on Bell? Which S position would you see him playing, and do you see a S that may be available in the 3-4th rounds that coulc come in and start?
I have seen Bing from USC and he impresses me with both speed and size. He can come out despite the fact he is a sophmore.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=137028
Linky above.

You're not bugging me in the slightest mate. Ask away. In fact I was worried that no one would bother asking anything!! :)

I see NO way that Knight comes back. He is too pedestrian and a real liability in coverage. I don't think Arturo has ever quite realised his early potential and the potential he showed at South Carolina. But he's probably worth keeping around.

As for Yeremiah Bell, I love his upside. But he has to stay healthy. He had a nose for the ball at college and he looks the same sort of player in the pros. Remember, he likely would have been a day 1 pick if he hadn't have suffered the basketball injury. I see him more as a FS, although our current scheme means there is little difference between the SS/FS spots.

Onto the 2005 class, Thomas Davis, Donte Nicholson, Brodney Poole, James Butler, the kid at South Carolina Jermaine Harris, Shazor, Jamaal Brimmer, Vincent Fuller. I like the kid Atari Bigby at Central Florida, Ansel Rosegreen at Auburn is a ball hawk in the 4th/5th round area, there's a guy at BYU I saw earlier in the year Aaron Francisco who's worth keeping an eye on on day 2. I like Brimmer as a player. He is a playmaker pure and simple. If he improved his concentration for 60 minutes he could be a really good pro. He needs to clean up his lapses. The best player is Thomas Davis to my mind. He's just a headhunter. As for Bing, he also looks a stud, but would be best served with an extra year at USC. When he comes out though, he should go very high.

LIQUID24 said:
Boomer, I know they're not eligible, but what are your thoughts on the pro potential of Reggie Bush, Adrian Peterson, and LenDale White (very underrated IMO)?

Hey Liquid. I think Bush is like Marshall Faulk. Just amazingly versatile. Great hands, explosive as a runner/returner and probably the single most dangerous individual in college football. He should be a 1st round pick when he comes out. I'd like to see him add 10lbs of weight to take him up around the 215 mark.

Peterson is a BONA FIDA future #1 overall pick. The guy is absolutely astoundingly good. If he came out this year, he'd be the number one pick. He's that good. Big, fast, powerful, can beat you inside or out.

White gets none of the press that Bush does but he is very important to the success of USC. He's a big, thundering back who like the above 2, should have a good pro future. He fits in along with some other great backs like Tyrone Moss of Miami, Austin Scott of Penn State, Chris Vincent of Oregon and a guy I really like, Demitrius Summers of South Carolina. But the undoubted star in that triumverate is Peterson.

NaboCane said:
Hi Boomer: thanks for taking the time to do this, it's much appreciated.

As a follow-up to the issue of the Phins' front office; do you think it would be wise to hire a strong President with not only a business background, but one that also has a clear football vision for the team's future?

As a life-long businessman, my take is that if you put a President in place that fits that description, and let him direct the franchise's rebuilding - including hiring the GM and HC - then you would have one team pointed in one direction to begin with, and it would minimize political & ego conflicts later.

Do you think that is important? Do you think it is the course HWH will follow, or will he hire as candidates become available, each position indepent of the others?

No worries Nabo. I love doing it.

Absolutely I do. Eddie Jones is an excellent business mind, but he isn't a football guy. I think it's vital that we get a decent mix of the two. But they absolutely need to have a clear football vision. It's all well and good to say that we will "win the Superbowl" but there is a myriad of other things that need doing. They guy needs to be a capologist, have a personnel knowledge, be across the business of the team, the wages, be able to show that they can move the team forward for the good of the Miami Dolphins without compromise.

All that you say is spot on. Alas I think HWH will do it all around the wrong way. Coach will be 1st, then GM if he dumps Spielman and then President as Jones has said that he will be in charge till the owners meetings in March. He has mentioned he would step down before that point if need be, but if he's leading the search for the new head coach, you get the impression that the team is going to get a new HC before is gets a new President.

weisdolphins said:
so if miami hires Saban do you think he would draft a quarterback?

Really depends what he thinks of Feeley but I think it's very unlikely, certainly at the top of round 1.

Boomer said:
Hey Roman - thanks and no. Don't think it would have gone down too well with the wife!! :)

Here's a couple of QB's who I like, the drums of which I have been banging for a while - Auburn's Jason Campbell - the most intelligent passer coming out, a huge arm, incredibly mobile, 4.5 speed, touch, accuracy. And David Greene of Georgia who just makes plays and makes plays and makes plays. He is calmness personified in the pocket. Can do it all.

As for the guys you mention, Smith is a great college QB, hugely intelligent, mobile. But you have to ask whether Urban Meyer's system isn't a big part of the reason. He remains a bit of a pro enigma. I know LeFors is a hot name on here because of the game he had against UM and most of the people on here are Canes fans and will have seen him then. Like Smith he is an enigma. Personally I don't see him as an NFL passer. The NFL passer on the Louisville roster is the freshman Brian Brohm. Another guy I like who has stunk it up this year, but is too good to just "go away" is Brad Smith of Missouri.

With just 2 picks on day 1, I wouldn't like to see us use ONE on a QB. As said elsewhere in this thread, Feeley simply has to have more time to develop.
Hey Boomer, I have to agree here, I am on the Cambell bandwagon also, I write the Fins column at http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/DolphinsColumn.htmhttp://www.draftblitz.com and just posted my first mock draft a few weeks ago with Cambell as one of our selections. I am about to write my next column and will be canning the potential Ricky Williams trade draft pick and changing one of my first round picks to Ferguson now that he is taling about declaring.

My question is concerning trading down with our pick. In my opinion, the Giants/Chargers trade from a year ago set the value for the next trade of a top ten pick. The Chargers, in essence, got two 1st rounders a 3rd and a 5th to move out of the #1 spot. I saw your opinion that, if offered 2nd & some other picks, you would take it. In my mind, I cant justify the Fins trading down from a #1-3 spot and not getting two 1st round picks. How do you feel about my theory?

Also, will you be at Senior Bowl week in Mobile next year? I live in Pensacola, FL and plan on attending with some guys from our site.

Thanks!

Gunner

Thanx for the answers...one more question if I may.

What are the analysis' on Craig Bragg and Manuel White Jr?...also..what are the chances that Drew Olson comes out of college and is a Decent NFL QB?

NIce mock draft Boomer, but one thing i disagree with. Jason Campbell is finally getting some recognition, and i am pretty sure he will not fall to the 4rth.

Gunner4u65 said:
Hey Boomer, I have to agree here, I am on the Cambell bandwagon also, I write the Fins column at http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/DolphinsColumn.htmhttp://www.draftblitz.com and just posted my first mock draft a few weeks ago with Cambell as one of our selections. I am about to write my next column and will be canning the potential Ricky Williams trade draft pick and changing one of my first round picks to Ferguson now that he is taling about declaring.

My question is concerning trading down with our pick. In my opinion, the Giants/Chargers trade from a year ago set the value for the next trade of a top ten pick. The Chargers, in essence, got two 1st rounders a 3rd and a 5th to move out of the #1 spot. I saw your opinion that, if offered 2nd & some other picks, you would take it. In my mind, I cant justify the Fins trading down from a #1-3 spot and not getting two 1st round picks. How do you feel about my theory?

Also, will you be at Senior Bowl week in Mobile next year? I live in Pensacola, FL and plan on attending with some guys from our site.

Thanks!

Gunner

Hey Gunner. Personally I never thought Williams would garner us anything more than a day 2 pick or even just a conditional 2006 selection. As for Campbell, he could end up going late 1, but I don't see Miami at this stage taking a QB. AJ is clearly progressing slowly, but surely.

I think someone said that we would take the 2nd. I said I would want a whole lot more than a 2. I think it goes without saying that we would get 2 1's. The consensus a year ago was the San Diego got stiffed a little bit initially but in hindsight maybe not.

Lets say for arguments sake that we pick 2 and we get offered a deal to trade down to 8 with, again for arguments sake, Chicago. I would want the Bears 8 pick, their #2 this year, their 1st next year and maybe a 5th rounder. You are going out of the top area of the draft to the 2nd level of the 1st round. But absolutely you want to come away with 2 1's. The only way that might not happen is if you get an offer to go from 2 to 3. Then you probably get a 2nd this year and another pick, maybe a 4th, maybe a 3 next year. It just depends.

Unfortunately I don't think so. Mobile, Alabama is a long way from London, England. Much as I would love to. But if you want to pay my flight, I could esily change my plans ;)

Congrats on the baby boomer, keep pluggin bro, good things always happen!

Anywho I dont think anyone asked, if you were GM with the #2 pick in the draft, what do you do?

I feel that with 2 1st rounders, Dallas is the most likely to trade up to try to get Antrelle Rolle. Dallas needs a CB and after Rolle, I think there is a substantial drop off in talent......

Taking our personnel and salary cap into consideration, I have come up with 2 scenarios that seem to be the most cap friendly:

1) I would trade down the pick to dallas and get their top 1st round pick.... should be a mid round pick and get their 2nd and a 3rd. (and picks next year)I draft Ronnie Brown as a mid 1st round pick and then take Wilkerson in the mid 2nd round. I try to trade up to get and earlier second with our latter picks to take Hawthorne or the best DT available.

I sign a LT in the offseason through free agency. Therefore you get a potential franchise RB in the mid 1st round at a rookies salary, get a starting DT to take over for TimBo, and get a proven LT who can start and isnt a project.

I too feel Ferguson would be the best LT in the draft, but we have a lot of needs to fill and a semi-tight cap situation that I dont feel we can use the #2 pick and need to trade it down..... especially without our #2 round pick

2) Again, I trade down to Dallas so they can take Rolle and we acquire their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (and picks next year). If Ferguson enters the draft, I take Alex Barron with our 1st rounder, Wilkerson with our 2nd rounder, and then Arrington or the best RB available in the 3rd round. Therefore you sign a DT in the offseason through free agency.

..... I have my theories, what do you do? (there are millions of options because we have sooo many stinkin holes and no 2nd rounder. UGG!)

FinFan24 said:
NIce mock draft Boomer, but one thing i disagree with. Jason Campbell is finally getting some recognition, and i am pretty sure he will not fall to the 4rth.

Fin fan....I haven't done a mock draft. Perhaps you are getting confused with Gunner? Jason Campbell may well go in the top 35/40 picks. NO WAY ON EARTH he goes in the 4th unless he chews off his own legs between now and draft day.

Boomer, who's the biggest sleeper in this year's draft...Also, where do you see Cadillac falling.

Boomer said:
Hey Gunner. Personally I never thought Williams would garner us anything more than a day 2 pick or even just a conditional 2006 selection. As for Campbell, he could end up going late 1, but I don't see Miami at this stage taking a QB. AJ is clearly progressing slowly, but surely.

I think someone said that we would take the 2nd. I said I would want a whole lot more than a 2. I think it goes without saying that we would get 2 1's. The consensus a year ago was the San Diego got stiffed a little bit initially but in hindsight maybe not.

Lets say for arguments sake that we pick 2 and we get offered a deal to trade down to 8 with, again for arguments sake, Chicago. I would want the Bears 8 pick, their #2 this year, their 1st next year and maybe a 5th rounder. You are going out of the top area of the draft to the 2nd level of the 1st round. But absolutely you want to come away with 2 1's. The only way that might not happen is if you get an offer to go from 2 to 3. Then you probably get a 2nd this year and another pick, maybe a 4th, maybe a 3 next year. It just depends.

Unfortunately I don't think so. Mobile, Alabama is a long way from London, England. Much as I would love to. But if you want to pay my flight, I could esily change my plans ;)
Thanks Boomer,

Im glad I am not the only one feels our top pick is worth two #1s in return. I have seen so much talk about trading down and only getting one and a bunch of lower round picks, I was beginning to think I was the one out of my mind. With a lot of teams using that pick value chart, it would seem we could/should be able to trade down and not get shafted ... but then we are talking about Rick Speilman here ... if he is still around after the season. I was pleased with his late round picks this year but his trades, free agents & top of the draft selections havent panned out yet. We will see ...

So Cambell has risen that far eh? Too bad, I'd love to see him come in with the Fins and be the QB of the future. I am not sold on AJ yet although he has impressed me with his toughness. If we trade down and get a #2 in the deal, my vote is to grab him. With two picks in the first round we could potentially nab Ferguson & Brown which would shore up a large portion of our offense. Then if we could land a solid guard in free agency, I think we would be set.

:D Uncle Sam doesnt pay his soldiers enough to fly people around the world at our every whim unfortunately. But if you want me to scout some players for ya when that week comes around, drop me an email and I'll do my best. I'll have my digital cam with me to take some .mpeg movies ... etc.

Thanks again,

Gunner

Back
Top Bottom