Ask Boomer | Page 27 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Ask Boomer

CpuFan said:
Great Stuf sir thanks fo the hard work...

A quick question for you. How do the top two QB's in this years draft Leinart and Rodgers compare to Rivers in last years draft. Was or is Rivers the best of the three? Personally I like Rivers more...

No worries. My pleasure.

Tough question. Rivers has more experience - 4 year starter, over either of the two, but both Leinart and Rodgers have better mechanics. To be honest, you could throw a rug over all three of them, it's that hard to seperate. Personally I would have Leinart 1, Rivers 2 and Rodgers 3 but that's just a personal choice. It will be interesting to see if Dallas deal for Rivers pre-draft.

Danny1339 said:
Hey Boomer, remember Aubrey Beavers (#53 Miami Lb) The guy was in great shape & seemed to make some plays, Was he just not bright enough for the NFL?

Hey Danny. I do indeed. 1st round tools, waiver wire brain. Essentially he just "never got it".

Caddy24 said:
Hey Boomer

Have you ever heard of Marion Barber III rb for minnesota, from what i saw of him against Alabama in their bowl game. What do you think of him and is there any chance he comes out to the draft this year.

Hey Caddy. Of course I've heard of him. :)
Not as good as his teammate Laurence Maroney who is a nailed on 1st rounder, Barber is keeping his draft options open. He is a powerful inside runner who can bounce it outside. He doesn't have game breaking speed and his hands are average. He is compact and gets into the hole in a hurry, moving people off the ball well for a player of 213lbs. He displays decent vision to slide in the hole and pick up extra yardage and he rarely goes down on 1st contact. He's had some injuries, including a hammy that forced him to redshirt his sophomore year. Nice, productive player.

I think if he comes out, in a solid year for TB's, he's a 2nd rounder.

BSQX4 said:
Boomer, Happy New Year!! Please, if you haven't compare Leinart and Rodgers to some of the young QBs in the NFL. How do they rate in your opinion against Harrington, Hasselback, Eli Manning, Big Ben, Boller, Brees, Rivers etc. If you feel as though these two are equal to the Elis and Hasselbacks of the world at #2, dispite our many other needs, should we not bring in a potential star QB? IMO we don't have one at this stage and that's a huge concern. If San Francisco takes Lienart and you have Rodgers in the Rivers, Eli, Big Ben range how can you not make the bold move. Miami had other needs when we took Marino but QB is just so important and when do we ever have a #2 pick in the draft. If we can bring in a difference maker who can upgrade the offensive side of the ball I think we'd better go for it. I'm tired of watching below average QBs ruin our offense. Think big, give the star coach a star QB.

Hey BSQX4....apologies, I must have missed this one.....Well, the initial difference is that the current list of NFL players is just that....playing in the NFL.....Leinart and Rodgers are potential NFLers at the moment.

Harrington is set to go into the biggest year of his career. He struggled mightily this year, although at the end of the season, when Kevin Jones started to get healthy, he played better. With Rogers and Williams, they could really use a quality TE to help him out - Virginia's Heath Miller would be perfect. Hasslebeck has been good, not great. He hasn't been helped by inconsistency at WR and TE. But he's a solid starter. Manning looks like he'll benefit greatly from the bumps he got this year and looked good vs Dallas in week 17. He'll be a very good player. Roethlisberger is helped by having the best OL in the game and a 4 deep run game. He does just what the Steelers need him to do. It will be fascinating to see if they play Indy in the title game and if Indy get up on them, whether he is good enough at this stage of his career to bring them back. Boller struggles but he takes little steps each week. He isn't helped by the worst WR corps in the game and very boring play calling. Brees has been outstanding all year. If they deal Rivers, expect them to bring in at least 1 1st round WR and that will only help. I think Rodgers won't/shouldn't start till 2008. Leinart will start sooner, possibly from week 1 in San Fran. Rodgers is currently the coldest player in the draft. People are concerned about his ability at the next level. I am not sold on him.

My personal opinion is that Miami is not good enough to spend a 1st rounder on a QB and a 2nd rounder on a QB, which is essentially what we will do if we draft Leinart/Smith/Rodgers, especially as Rodgers won't contribute early and because Feeley has shown improvement. If they were in last years draft, I would have ranked them thus:

1 - Roethlisberger
2 - Manning
3 - Leinart
4 - Rivers
5 - Losman
6 - Rodgers

hey boomer theres so many posts on here i don't know whether or not you've already been asked these questions but i will ask away anyway.

1) do you think with brett favre's recent poor performance in the playoffs and concerning age, that we could scam chad clifton, their first rounder and a late pick for our second pick IF the 49ers dont take matt leinhart?

2) who is this draft's best overall player (eg. sean taylor or kellen winslow of last year)?? do you think we should select him at our number 2 spot providing san fran dont take him?

4) do you really think that drafting defense in the first round as many have suggested is a good idea? (i know you never said that it was im just asking)

3) finally, what is your personal opinion of what we should do with that first round pick in this year's draft?

thanks a bunch

The effect of major injuries during a senior year.

I read where the best center in the draft (Wilkerson) was slotted for the 3rd.
Asking:due to his ACL, will he fall into day two? Rd 5?

Let me clarify:I would draft Wilkerson in the 3rd, but if I could draft Wilkerson in the 5th, I could get more picks(trade down).

caneaddict said:
Hey Boomer-
Thanks for all your great insight. Your scouting is very impressive. Would you please elaborate a bit on what you said in an earlier post:

"some of the early college games I watched involved tremendous college players like Gordie Lockbaum of Holy Cross and Clarkston Hines of Duke and Steve Taylor of UCLA. Once I worked out why these great collegians weren't going to be great pros, that was half the battle."

I'm curious what are some of the qualities that you look for to distinguish great college players from great NFL players? I remember a few years back I expected Troy Edwards to become a great pro. He's OK but was incredibly productive as a college WR. Obviously Raghib Ismael and plenty of others never quite made the transition. I know that raw numbers (height, speed etc.) are more important in the NFL. However, there are successful guys in the League that don't have blazing speed (Jerry Rice) or freakish natural athleticism and height (Zach Thomas). So how do you go about analyzing which players will overcome physical inferiority or will be unable to take advantage of physical superiority? And how does that affect your final assesment of who will make it in the League and who is just a great college player?

Caneaddict....this is a great question as I've mentioned. I remember a few years ago, drawing up a mock draft at the start of what was probably the 1989 season and putting the Rice TB Trevor Cobb in high. My reasoning was that he had a bunch of yards and I hadn't seen him play. So when I read some literature about the games best draft prospect backs and Cobb was no-where to be seen, I thought it odd. But then when I saw him play and saw that the reason he had all the stats was because Rice just ran him and ran him and ran him, behind a big old OL, against some questionable competition at times and that he was undersized, that he didn't have great speed or hands and nor was he a great blocker, it became clear. Yet the guy won the Doak Walker. And this is where people get confused. But you are looking for translational abilities.

With that in mind, essentially it comes down to instinct when scouting. Repetition helps - watching a tonne of tapes, a lot of players, looking at their bodies - will they add weight, how do they look when they move, does the game seem easy for them, have they seperated themselves from the rest and if so, why? Can they stack up to NFL pounding week in and week out. Remember, college ball has 116 odd 1-A teams - that's a LOT of players. There is a lot less in the pros.

Take a running back - how quick are they, vision, can they pick up the blitz, can they SEE the blitz, what are their hands like, can they get down the field, can they see a hole, how quickly do they accelerate into that hole, take on a linebacker, what's the blocking like, are they inteference blockers, or can they actually stand someone up, whats their blocking technique, can they pick the right hole, how do they hold the ball, can they bounce back after a fumble, are they high cut, what are their legs like - thighs - how big, lower legs, how much power, do they change the ball to protect it when running, what are they like close to the goaline, what are the hips like, can they read blocks, are they patient, do they run north/south etc?, can they get to the edge, can they turn their shoulders upfield, how big are the hands, etc etc etc.

Same with the QB - look at Steve Taylor. He was a running QB who didn't have the arm or the delivery for the pros at that time, in an era where the drop back pocket passer was de rigeur. What are the mechanics like, where does the ball come from, how quick does it come out, whats the motion like, follow through, footwork? Do they step into the throws, are they flat footed, are they mobile, can they throw on the run, what's the motion like on the run, how do they deal with the blitz, can they see it, can they check out to the right play, how do they command the huddle, can they lead, how strong is the arm, can they sense pressure, can they remain calm in the pocket, can they step up, can they make all the throws, how do they work through their progressions, can they make yards with their feet, what is the body like, what are the tapes habits like, are they intelligent, can they stand up to a pass rush, does he take his eyes off the receiver and looks at the DE, can they take the sack without making the pick, etc etc etc.

When you can answer enough of those questions in the positive, you have something you can work with.

So why do some players develop in college and then cease do be effective in the pros or vice versa? A lot is systems, which I will touch on in a minute, but to take one of your guys, Troy Edwards - he was the ultimate system WR. Matched up a lot in the slot, La Tech moved him around a hell of a lot, created gimmick plays that were succesful for him and remember, he was an undersized guy playing essentially against inferior talent. He was simply not big or physical enough to get away with that in the NFL. He was playing corners that either didn't get their hands on him at the line or who weren't quick enough. That didn't happen in the NFL. Suddenly he's going against 6-1, 200lb physical press corners.

A lot too much emphaisis is placed on the Combine - far too much. People suddenly forget the body of work of a player through 4 years and go on one flashy 40 time and some catches in shorts and a t-shirt. When a player has a surprisingly impressive workout, the first reaction should not be to move him up three rounds on the draft board. It should be a re-evaluation. You mention Rice and Thomas - well Rice famously ran a slow time at the Combine, but he was drafted into a system that suited him perfectly - his ability after the catch, his speed over the first 5 steps, his route running ability and his hands, honed from years of catching bricks as a child. Look at the flip side - USC WR R. Jay Soward ran a 4.35 40-yard dash at the combine because nobody in the Pac-10 could catch him. People forgot that he was a flameout who ran questionable routes and had inconsistent hands. His drafting was the beginning of the end of Tom Coughlin in Jacksonville.

As for Thomas, size was less of an issue for him than it was for Edwards because there are ways to deal with Zach's size, which JJ did perfectly - he knew he could succeed behind behemoth DT's. As a WR you can't hide your deficiencies as easily.

Staying with the Combine, the type of drills a player excels in also can be telling. What do I mean? Well....a short shuttle is more telling about a DLmans ability than a 40-yard dash. People grade players all too often on the way he excels in tests that don't measure his ability to play his position. When I see the DL test results at Indy, unless the guy has run a 5.8, I could care less about the 40 time. What 'm looking at is the 5 and 10 yard splits. How quick he is in and out of the shuttle drill, which will measure how explosive he is over a short distance and how quickly he changes direction.

Take Chris Hovan as an example, a player we may go after in FA. Many teams had questions about his athleticism when he came out. When he performed the specific DT drills, those questions disappeared. All of the tests, the runs and jumps can be practiced and rehearsed. You can get better with reps. Athleticism is much harder to rehearse.

Again, you need to evaluate workouts differently. A great workout by an offensive lineman should be regarded more lightly than a great workout by a wide receiver. Why? Because athleticism matters much less to the former than it does the latter. Workouts also can be most revealing for tight ends. You could be seeing them do things that they have never done before because a lot come from run-oriented offenses. That's why a lot of TE's slip through the net. And then a lot of WR's end up doing the TE drills and all of a sudden you see how well they can block and they have the size to become a good TE/H-back. Take Denver's Jeb Putzier - he's the perfect example of this. At Boise State he ran patterns as a WR, but didn't block much. At workouts, he proved that he could get his hands on people, take good angles, use leverage. The fact that he was too slow to be a top end WR didn't matter. All of a sudden, Mike Shanahan has one of the best TE's in the game on his hand.

But it doesn't always work so easily as that Cane. There are reasons players don't always show their athleticism on the field that you have to take into consideration.

Sometimes the player is poorly coached in college. This is particularly possible with small-school players. Not denegrating the work of small school coaches, but that's sometimes just the way it is. Look at how many small schoolers there are in the pros and how they were drafted. That's not a coincidence. But you have to weigh up the competition and that's hard to do when each week the guy you like is playing Kutztown State and Grand Valley State etc. Take our own Lamar Gordon - I have a tape upstairs of his from college. Sent to me by the SID of the college, it has all his highlights and then a game tape of a particular game. You can see he dominates at that level and you can see why he was rated so highly. But you look at the guys he's playing against. Can he be that good in the pros? I don't think we still have that answer. Another good example was Ladanian Tomlinson. To my mind, he's the best back in the NFL, but there was plenty of fuss about him when he came out of TCU because of the level of competition that he played against.

Sometimes Cane it's the scheme used at the player's college that doesn't bring out the best in him. Take Philly's Jevon Kearse. He's a much better NFL player than he was at Florida. Titans coaches studied every snap he was in on for the Gators and worked out what he did best, in which situation he succeeded most, etc etc etc. They then eliminated all the plays he struggled on and moulded a defense around his particular athletic abilities and he has subsequently flourished. He was a great player at UF, but he got by on athleticism more than honed DE skill. Look at backs that come from pure run or pure pass systems. Often they struggle at the next level because they only know 1 discipline - either pass or run. So the runners don't know how to catch proficiently, they don't understand picking up the blitz, etc. And they have played behind big old roadgrading run blockers. This is typical in places like Nebraska - till last year - Wisconsin, Kansas, etc. When they get to the pros they have to learn the game almost from scratch. And it's tough because you are now playing with the elite. There are only 32 teams not 116. Instead of being the big fish in the small pond, you are now the small fish in the big pond. Now trying being the small fish and having to learn how to swim. Almost impossible.

Sometimes the player is not playing his best pro position in college. A good example of this is the Bears Jerry Azumah. A productive small-school back at New Hampshire, he was too small to be an every down pro back, so Dick Jauron turned him into a CB - 5'10, 195. It turns out to have been a good switch. Brian Urlacher - an active, big hitting safety in college, but the Bears thought he could handle the switch and it proved thus.

Sometimes it's the players on the team that the player is playing for in college that don't allow him to flourish. There is a well known story of when Bill Walsh, then working for the Bengals, went to see the workout of a quarterback for a Division III school. Walsh says that the team were struggling, people weren't making plays, but he saw something in this kid. So he took him to the gym, just him and this player and he got him throwing and he saw the arm and the quick delivery and the mechanics. He got him moving around and saw the atheticism and the footwork. So he pestered and pestered and pestered and finally he convinced the Bengals to invest a 3rd rounder on the kid. It was Ken Anderson who turned into a hell of a player.

So the bottom line is that experience comes with time. It's easy to see the big time big schoolers and whether they will be a pro player. But can you put on a Northern Colorado tape tonight and tell me why Vincent Jackson might be the next Terrell Owens? Can you put on a Louisiana Monroe tape and tell me which of their 11 starters is highly rated and why*? When you can do that - and it only comes with time and some of the factors above, THATS when you know what you are looking for!!

*It's safety Chris Harris BTW.

Hope that helps.
Boom.

Boomer said:
Caneaddict....this is a great question as I've mentioned...
Wow!

Boomer, you should write a book about this. I'm serious.

Tremendous read, thanks for taking the time. And thank you Caneaddict for asking the question.

dolfancoolio said:
hey boomer theres so many posts on here i don't know whether or not you've already been asked these questions but i will ask away anyway.

1) do you think with brett favre's recent poor performance in the playoffs and concerning age, that we could scam chad clifton, their first rounder and a late pick for our second pick IF the 49ers dont take matt leinhart?

2) who is this draft's best overall player (eg. sean taylor or kellen winslow of last year)?? do you think we should select him at our number 2 spot providing san fran dont take him?

4) do you really think that drafting defense in the first round as many have suggested is a good idea? (i know you never said that it was im just asking)

3) finally, what is your personal opinion of what we should do with that first round pick in this year's draft?

thanks a bunch

Hey Coolio......

1) I think Brett Favre's season needs to be put into perspective. He had a great year, has led the Packers to the playoffs 10 consecutive seasons and clearly has probably 2 seasons at the top. I know he talked about retiring, but I don't think he will. It may be however that circumstances dictate differently and that Deanna's illness makes it impossible for him to continue. Whatever happens, there is no way that GB let Clifton go. Not only did he sign a new contract last year, the "retirement" of Favre means nothing to the OL - they still need a LT whoever is under center. That will remain Clifton.

2) Best overall player......I really like David Pollack. I'd be hard pushed to say I liked anyone better than him. Should Miami take him? Well we need a DE.

3) Absolutely drafting defense is a good idea. If there was a DT out there with top 5 value, I'd jump all over him. The defense isn't as good as many people think. Arguably the biggest hole on the team is the DT spot.

4) Personally if we can trade the pick, that to my mind would be the best option, but the lack of super blue chippers and thus the lack of trade partners may make it tough. If we stay where we are then Alex Barron, Pollack, one of the QB's possibly or Braylon Edwards makes most value sense.

NaboCane said:
Wow!

Boomer, you should write abook about this. I'm serious.

Tremendous read, thanks for taking the time. And thank you Caneaddict for asking the question.

Pleasure.

NorFlaFin said:
The effect of major injuries during a senior year.

I read where the best center in the draft (Wilkerson) was slotted for the 3rd.
Asking:due to his ACL, will he fall into day two? Rd 5?

Let me clarify:I would draft Wilkerson in the 3rd, but if I could draft Wilkerson in the 5th, I could get more picks(trade down).

Will Wilkerson fall? Probably. I suspect he might go in the 4th, although he suits some teams better than others and may go higher because of that. Word is that he'll be 100% in the spring, so he could geta full workout in prior to the draft - we shall see. He has great physical tools, is an elite, finesse player, although the ruptured patellar tendon injury - not an ACL - plus previous back surgery will have teams a little concerned.

Cane - I forgot another player in terms of Combine player turned bad....Ahmad Carroll. A player who I ALWAYS saw being toasted at Arkansas and I was STUNNED that GB drafted him. But this is a guy who ran a 4.3, who worked out really well. It pays to pay attention to the body of work. Yeah he has great recovery speed but when that's all people say about him, that usually means he keeps getting beaten.

Hey Boom,
I'd like to hear your thoughts on Peter Warrick. He was one of the most electrifying Seminole I'd ever seen and I was sure he'd become a solid number 1 WR one day.
Why has he platooned as a number 2 WR with the Bengals ? Could it be a combination of suspect route running and poor attitude? Or does he just not have the physical attributes to be a dominant WR in the NFL?
Why has he not become, in your mind, a number 1 WR ?

Also what is your opinion of Casey Printers? He's just had an MVP season in the CFL and did reasonably well at TCU back in the day with LT21? Would you try to get him?

Lastly,
Who, in your opinion, since 1987 (all the drafts you've covered) conducted the best draft (in a given year) ? ( For ex: I just saw recently that Savage plucked Odgen and Lewis in the '96 draft)
And name me a player you were very high on that didn't pan out and a player who you thought would never be the player he is today.

Thanks again for the great work an analysis, I find myself logging on just to read the Ask Boomer thread, it's a real pleasure, and all the best for the new year.

:)

Boomer said:
Hey BSQX4....apologies, I must have missed this one.....Well, the initial difference is that the current list of NFL players is just that....playing in the NFL.....Leinart and Rodgers are potential NFLers at the moment.

Harrington is set to go into the biggest year of his career. He struggled mightily this year, although at the end of the season, when Kevin Jones started to get healthy, he played better. With Rogers and Williams, they could really use a quality TE to help him out - Virginia's Heath Miller would be perfect. Hasslebeck has been good, not great. He hasn't been helped by inconsistency at WR and TE. But he's a solid starter. Manning looks like he'll benefit greatly from the bumps he got this year and looked good vs Dallas in week 17. He'll be a very good player. Roethlisberger is helped by having the best OL in the game and a 4 deep run game. He does just what the Steelers need him to do. It will be fascinating to see if they play Indy in the title game and if Indy get up on them, whether he is good enough at this stage of his career to bring them back. Boller struggles but he takes little steps each week. He isn't helped by the worst WR corps in the game and very boring play calling. Brees has been outstanding all year. If they deal Rivers, expect them to bring in at least 1 1st round WR and that will only help. I think Rodgers won't/shouldn't start till 2008. Leinart will start sooner, possibly from week 1 in San Fran. Rodgers is currently the coldest player in the draft. People are concerned about his ability at the next level. I am not sold on him.

My personal opinion is that Miami is not good enough to spend a 1st rounder on a QB and a 2nd rounder on a QB, which is essentially what we will do if we draft Leinart/Smith/Rodgers, especially as Rodgers won't contribute early and because Feeley has shown improvement. If they were in last years draft, I would have ranked them thus:

1 - Roethlisberger
2 - Manning
3 - Leinart
4 - Rivers
5 - Losman
6 - Rodgers

I agree with you about not taking a QB in the 1rst round but Saban may not. If Saban goes QB what do think is the better option. Trading the 2006 2nd rounder and possibly more with SF to guarantee Leinhart or trading the #2 for Rivers, assuming SD will deal him. Hold the Chargers to Rivers value as the 2004 #4 pick and swap the Bears pick with the SD #24 pick (I think that's what their pick will be) or get their 2005 2nd & 3rd round picks. We should have some leverage with Rodgers availabe and because even with all their cap room SD probably doesn't want to pay 3 1rst round contracts/5 1rst day picks, eat the bonus money paid to Rivers, and pay Brees the big contract in 2005.
More to the point, how much better do you think Leinhart is than Rivers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Boomer,
Here is some more new/old stuff, please comment if you would like:
- UtahR.S. Sophomore wide receiver Steve Savoy has decided to follow Alex Smith into the NFL Draft.​
- We're now being told that Mississippi center Chris Spencer has made his choice and he will enter this year's draft.
- Despite rumors to the contrary, it now looks like Virginia inside linebacker Ahmad Brooks will return to school.
- We're hearing that USC offensive tackle Winston Justice may be re-considering his early comments, stating that he'd be staying at USC.
- Georgia offensive lineman Max Jean-Gilles has announced that he's going to return to the team for his senior season.
- California quarterback Aaron Rodgers has turned down an invite to play in this year's shrine bowl because a poor performance could hurt his stock, where-as a great performance wouldn't elevate his stock all that much.
- One NFL executive I spoke to told me that a player who he's very interested in is Missouri's Cedric Nash. He believes that Nash's reputation for being a bad kid is unfounded and his combination of power and speed would make for a potential steal on day 2.​
Also Boomer, I have been in discussions with the owner of our website about potentially doing a weekly Draftblitz radio talk show on either Sirius Satellite Radio or starting up our own AM station. Keep it in the back of your mind if you are interested. Would love to have you as a guest speaker and let fans call in and ask questions about their team, potential picks, and college players. Would probably require some sort of phone call via an internet connection since you are overseas. But it will probably take us the rest of 2005 to get up and running.

Back
Top Bottom