at this point.. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

at this point..

footsteps_falco

Damn SugarBowl
Club Member
Reaction score
after watching the senior bowl, im prepared to trade down and take christian ponder. to all of you who were saying hes gonna be the real deal a few weeks ago... my hats off to you, i think you're all right. its a shame we wont be able to get gabbert but i think ponder and stanzi are both going to be solid nfl QB's. kaepernick is still a mystery to me, but the senior bowl def didnt hurt his case. locker is looking worse and worse to me by the day.

I dont know about Stanzi but i liked Ponder. Locker on the other hand didnt do too good in the first half but picked it up in the second half he just seemed a little unsteady to me and needs to work on his mechanics and footwork and he'll be alright.
after watching the senior bowl, im prepared to trade down and take christian ponder. to all of you who were saying hes gonna be the real deal a few weeks ago... my hats off to you, i think you're all right. its a shame we wont be able to get gabbert but i think ponder and stanzi are both going to be solid nfl QB's. kaepernick is still a mystery to me, but the senior bowl def didnt hurt his case. locker is looking worse and worse to me by the day.

If it takes convincing to take someone, then don't take him. If takes convincing not to take someone, then take him.

McCarthy, Da'Rel Scott, Charles Clay, Von Miller, Ponder, Phil Taylor, Henkerson are in the category of: it takes convincing not to take them.

At this point, I think we all have no idea who is going to emerge as the best pro-qb of all these guys.

One of them is bound to develop into the real deal. Someone that has the head (to command an NFL offense), the arm/mechanics (with quick release, zip, and accuracy), and legs (to extend a play).

There are many permutations of those above critical skill sets, with Qbs coming in all types of shapes and sizes. Hopefully Ireland has a conviction on that guy.

please explain... no problem

his deep ball is/was terrible... severly underthrown and fluttered like a wounded upland game bird.
most of his passes that looked good are exactly the same passes henne throws well, much to the dismay of the phins fanbase... 15 yards or less... ins, outs, curls... etc
he blew it in the redzone twice in one possession... two consecutive bad throws and send the field goal unit out.
He's injury prone to say the least... He did exhibit nice pocket presence and can scramble when needed.....

if this is who you want to replace henne that's fine, but I just don't see the upgrade.

Ponder doesn't have the arm to go deep. It would be like having Pennington under center again.
Ponder absolutely has the arm to go deep. He didn't do it this year as much because he was nursing a hurt throwing elbow, which was hurt running the ball, not throwing. He has every bit of arm needed. The only complaint I have ever had of Ponder is that he sometimes puts too much touch on passes. Arm strength is not a problem at all.

There is plenty of good tape on Ponder, meaning he played against VT, Florida, Miami, South Carolina, Clemson, Oklahoma, Virginia corners and D. I'm looking forward to CK's breakdown, but there is plenty of good video on him against good players and competition to examine.

please explain... no problem

his deep ball is/was terrible... severly underthrown and fluttered like a wounded upland game bird.
most of his passes that looked good are exactly the same passes henne throws well, much to the dismay of the phins fanbase... 15 yards or less... ins, outs, curls... etc
he blew it in the redzone twice in one possession... two consecutive bad throws and send the field goal unit out.
He's injury prone to say the least... He did exhibit nice pocket presence and can scramble when needed.....

if this is who you want to replace henne that's fine, but I just don't see the upgrade.
The only reason there is anything wrong with Henne throwing 15 yd routes is that they aren't on target. If they were accurate, I, as well as many others, would be satisfied. Those are high percentage passes that he can't throw for a high percentage.
He has arm strength and accuracy, when he is healthy....and yes, I know, his durability....He ran way too much in college, and lowered his shoulder on guys that he should have been sliding at their feet. That will not be allowed to happen in the NFL. Off the top of my head, all the injuries that he has had were very preventable. All he had to do was slide.
So, anyway, yes he is an upgrade.

The only reason there is anything wrong with Henne throwing 15 yd routes is that they aren't on target. If they were accurate, I, as well as many others, would be satisfied. Those are high percentage passes that he can't throw for a high percentage.
He has arm strength and accuracy, when he is healthy....and yes, I know, his durability....He ran way too much in college, and lowered his shoulder on guys that he should have been sliding at their feet. That will not be allowed to happen in the NFL. Off the top of my head, all the injuries that he has had were very preventable. All he had to do was slide.
So, anyway, yes he is an upgrade.

and when is this?????

and when is this?????
Forget it....you're right. I realized reading your posts in other threads that your main concern is making sure nobody wants to draft Ponder. I mean, who would want to draft the guy that looked the most pro ready today, had the best stats today, etc. You're gonna find some reason, regardless of why he isn't right for us. Between now and the draft, his stock is going to soar. He will fly up the boards. I hope we get him bc he will be a steal in the mid 2nd - 3rd. I really don't think he'll last that long though.

Ponder absolutely has the arm to go deep. He didn't do it this year as much because he was nursing a hurt throwing elbow, which was hurt running the ball, not throwing. He has every bit of arm needed. The only complaint I have ever had of Ponder is that he sometimes puts too much touch on passes. Arm strength is not a problem at all.

That elbow must still be sore because I saw some passes fluttering big time in today's game.

Ponder's mobility would definitely be an upgrade as well. I'm biased as an FSU fan, but I watched the senior bowl and Ponder exceeded my expectations. Kid is a competitor.

Back
Top Bottom