at this point.. | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

at this point..

I do hang on to those throws he didn't make. Because unlike you I wasn't blown away by the 10-15 yard routes that he looked real crisp on. albeit with no blitzes, and predetermined coverages. I don't think any qb out there should struggle with those throws. It's the deep ball that was SEVERLY underthrown that the WR made a great comeback on... the strike you refer to hankerson in the endzone would have been a pic by any DB in the league not named sean smith.
and the other pass to the pylon, needed to come out sooner and have a little more touch and it would have been a td..
we already have a qb who wastes redzone oppurtunities... we all said send out carpenter... cuz it was as if we were watching henne anyway. two chances to score a td, two bad passes and a subsequent field goal.

Living in Tallahassee(and not being a college football fan...at all, but still watched with company), i've watched Ponder for a bit longer then part of a single game. And the time frame for him to recover? I'd say more then 6 weeks. How about near the actual draft? Sam Bradford had worse luck with his arm before this previous draft, yet did well with workout(while still rehabing) and interviews. Should the Rams have passed on him? And why not give Ponder the same treatment instead of making a blanket statement such as "oh, your only nailing intermediate throws and doing them damn well, but you didn't recover from elbow surgery overnight so see ya, we gotta go check out this Locker kid!".

We haven't even started work outs yet. Hell, technically the season isnt even over. Yet, all the draft boards are set and its go time baby! Those "draft boards" are about as useful as the ones done early in the season: ones that had Ponder in as a top 5 pick. Which is to say: they aren't useful at all. But then again, the only skills one should look for in a quarterback are physical. Whoever throws the longest ball is the one we should draft, huh?

That "SEVERLY" underthrown pass he admits to it slipping out of his hand. Personally, i could care less if thats true or not. At one point in time, he showed the ability to make those throws regularly. This came pre-swollen bursa sac. By all accounts, that injury has been corrected. I'm willing to give him time to show that ability again, especially since time isnt a factor at the moment. If the injury Pennington'ed his arm, well, its a shame but moving on. And look at that, that decision didnt cost us a dime. Which would be worse: making a judgement to quickly on a potential franchise quarterback, or making a decision later on a injured quarterback. Neither cost us anything but the time we spent watching gametape on the kid. But one of those could have a big pay off.

Ponder led his team downfield 3 times. Once, he settled for a field goal. The other 2 times were touchdowns. What do you want? Their isnt a quarterback alive that hasnt had to settle for 3 points instead of 7. And we must have been watching 2 different games. Ponder, recognizing the corner was inside on the coverage, threw the ball to the outside in a spot that only the wideout could get to it. He started the throw before Hankerson cut outside. He hit him at chest level right in the hands. How any of that could have been a interception is beyond me, but to help your memory(at 48 seconds):
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senio...3a/Senior-Bowl-highlights?module=HP_headlines

If the exact time doesnt help ya, its the one where Ponder threw it from the 24 to the 4 yard line. I can see how that might confuse you, as you've really hung on the "he throws it 10 yards!" assumption.

Again, Pat White was MVP of that All star game....it means little. By all accounts Kaepernick blew Ponder and the rest of them away all week long...I can assure you that is what teams will base thier judgements on (As well the players career to date).

Last edited by a moderator:
Living in Tallahassee(and not being a college football fan...at all, but still watched with company), i've watched Ponder for a bit longer then part of a single game. And the time frame for him to recover? I'd say more then 6 weeks. How about near the actual draft? Sam Bradford had worse luck with his arm before this previous draft, yet did well with workout(while still rehabing) and interviews. Should the Rams have passed on him? And why not give Ponder the same treatment instead of making a blanket statement such as "oh, your only nailing intermediate throws and doing them damn well, but you didn't recover from elbow surgery overnight so see ya, we gotta go check out this Locker kid!".

We haven't even started work outs yet. Hell, technically the season isnt even over. Yet, all the draft boards are set and its go time baby! Those "draft boards" are about as useful as the ones done early in the season: ones that had Ponder in as a top 5 pick. Which is to say: they aren't useful at all. But then again, the only skills one should look for in a quarterback are physical. Whoever throws the longest ball is the one we should draft, huh?

That "SEVERLY" underthrown pass he admits to it slipping out of his hand. Personally, i could care less if thats true or not. At one point in time, he showed the ability to make those throws regularly. This came pre-swollen bursa sac. By all accounts, that injury has been corrected. I'm willing to give him time to show that ability again, especially since time isnt a factor at the moment. If the injury Pennington'ed his arm, well, its a shame but moving on. And look at that, that decision didnt cost us a dime. Which would be worse: making a judgement to quickly on a potential franchise quarterback, or making a decision later on a injured quarterback. Neither cost us anything but the time we spent watching gametape on the kid. But one of those could have a big pay off.

Ponder led his team downfield 3 times. Once, he settled for a field goal. The other 2 times were touchdowns. What do you want? Their isnt a quarterback alive that hasnt had to settle for 3 points instead of 7. And we must have been watching 2 different games. Ponder, recognizing the corner was inside on the coverage, threw the ball to the outside in a spot that only the wideout could get to it. He started the throw before Hankerson cut outside. He hit him at chest level right in the hands. How any of that could have been a interception is beyond me, but to help your memory(at 48 seconds):
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-senio...3a/Senior-Bowl-highlights?module=HP_headlines

If the exact time doesnt help ya, its the one where Ponder threw it from the 24 to the 4 yard line. I can see how that might confuse you, as you've really hung on the "he throws it 10 yards!" assumption.

I wasn't even going to continue reading your post the very instant you broght sam bradford into a comparison with christian ponder, but well curiosity got the best of me. a few things I'd like to point out. If you can find a draft board that had ponder as a top five pick, I'd love to know whos board that was as my opinion of them from a football standpoint would diminish severly if not evaporate altogether...

While, I appreciate your rambling on and on about a pass that shouldn't have been a pic, it would help if you were at the very least, talking about the same pass as I was. I said back to back throws in the redzone. the first being the pass in question, where I beleive the CB from UNC cut the route off to the inside and had the ball bounce off his chest... yes the same trait you claim to be in awe of in ponder ( recognizing CB positioning), as I believe mayock made mention of the CB took the inside AWAY, and still ponder threw it inside. I will admit, half this I may blame on the WR not adjusting to a fade, but your the one telling me ponder recognizes these things and he made the throw.

the other throw was the one to the pylon that if thrown sooner and in bounds, the WR may have had a td, as we all saw, (or maybe it was just me who saw it in a diffferent game) the security guard had to open a gate to keep the WR from getting hurt. bottom line, this throw didn't have an inkling of a chance to be converted into points.

I never said I didn't like ponder as a prospect, but some people on here trying to convince the masses that he blew the competition away yesterday in the game are homers, or homers in disguise. I haven't said anything I believe anyone would consider a stretch of the truth.
In fact, I think I've been pretty fair.

Back
Top Bottom