Barry Jackson: Dolphins agree to referendum for stadium tax dollars | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Dolphins agree to referendum for stadium tax dollars

I never understood him bringing Vegas into everyone of his posts. Are we supposed to be impressed?

Maybe because he lives in Vegas lol. I would bring up El Paso where Im stationed now but el paso sucks and doesnt fit in any positive convo

Quite actiing like that business is not clearing least least 25 million in profit every year. All business'e try to create revenue and its not like the dolphins dont get plenty of sweetheart deals from the local government like all sports teams but making us responsible to pay for a great majority of stadium repair is quite ridiculous. The NFL wants to bleed local economies of even more money to fix stadiums that they make almost all the money from. The dolphins would also be making like 10,000 more fans in revenue if they actually put out a winning team at some point , not to mention playoff revenue. But your right if a business can get a free handout they will take it

We have hope now in Tannehill and Philbin. Biggest offseason of our lives. Ross is rebranding the franchise. Stadium hopefully gets renovated..and yet I agree w you, winning is really what matters. But we are headed in the right direction, and no one can dispute that.

And btw, if ur 25 million in profit estimate is true, considering that Ross paid over a billion for the franchise, that's a pretty terrible investment by Ross. I'd hope he profits more than that. Maybe it really is a labor of love for him..

We have hope now in Tannehill and Philbin. Biggest offseason of our lives. Ross is rebranding the franchise. Stadium hopefully gets renovated..and yet I agree w you, winning is really what matters. But we are headed in the right direction, and no one can dispute that.

And btw, if ur 25 million in profit estimate is true, considering that Ross paid over a billion for the franchise, that's a pretty terrible investment by Ross. I'd hope he profits more than that. Maybe it really is a labor of love for him..

I said no less and investment is towards when he sells team because teams never sell for less than they are bought for. There is no labor of love for NFL owners its all about exposure and making money although yes a football team is definately not your best investment. He bought team above what value was considered at the time and Im sure he is hoping to get no less than 1.5 billion if and when he decides to sell. The cowboys are the most valuable team in the league at over 2 billion.

A big point of concern on this whole matter to me is that 235 million was spent to upgrade a few years ago and people still call it a dinosaur so why should we have faith 400 million will be money well spent. Sounds like a money pit or maybe just a bunch of bs to whats actually being spent

When did Hayden say that this town thought they owned the stadium? Either we vote to upgrade the stadium, and support Stephen Ross' ambitions to make the Miami Dolphins the class of the NFL again, or they don't. It's our choice now, unfortunately.

When the Dolphins were the class of the NFL, Joe Robbie built a stadium without a dime of public money. Same with Mickey Arison, the class of NBA's Miami Heat, and American Airlines Arena. The city donated the land for both venues, that's more than enough for a privately owned facility.

When the Dolphins were the class of the NFL, Joe Robbie built a stadium without a dime of public money. Same with Mickey Arison, the class of NBA's Miami Heat, and American Airlines Arena. The city donated the land for both venues, that's more than enough for a privately owned facility.

True people dont realize that the area of Miami has done plenty to help the dolphins over the years but people want to act like its our responsibility to pay for their costs of doing business

I am so ****ing tired of the "corporate welfare" arguments of people around here. They think by justing stating "corporate welfare" that they are making a point. Fact is, by making these stadium upgrades all of the fans can enjoy a new stadium, special events might come to the South Florida and perhaps the team I cheer for can end up in the 21st century.

Bottom line with "corporate welfare" compared to other social programs...like welfare, I can enjoy the benefits the government is aiding with. Make no mistake, Steve Ross is coming with over half of this venture.

I am so ****ing tired of the "corporate welfare" arguments of people around here. They think by justing stating "corporate welfare" that they are making a point. Fact is, by making these stadium upgrades all of the fans can enjoy a new stadium, special events might come to the South Florida and perhaps the team I cheer for can end up in the 21st century.

Bottom line with "corporate welfare" compared to other social programs...like welfare, I can enjoy the benefits the government is aiding with. Make no mistake, Steve Ross is coming with over half of this venture.

Actually he wont be coming up with over half because if we give taxpayer money the nfl will supplement his part of money. why is this not coporate welfare, the nfl is a hugely profitable company that makes more profiit because it lives off of taxpayer money to build and fix their stadiums. There are people that benefit Ross and NFl because it increases value of franchise and people that somehow will have the money to go to the games but the benefit to the city of Miami is pretty minimal

from wikipedia:

The Miami Heat has not had to pay to use the $357 million-venue, which sits on $38 million of county land; the county has paid $64 million in operating subsidies. "It was never a good deal," says former Miami-Dade Commissioner Katy Sorenson, who opposed the new arena in 1996. "There are certain politicians who just get stars in their eyes and don't really think about what the real cost is going to be."

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for the AAA and the team that currently resides there. But Stephen Ross has approached the issue like no other owner SINCE Joe Robbie.

Actually he wont be coming up with over half because if we give taxpayer money the nfl will supplement his part of money. why is this not coporate welfare, the nfl is a hugely profitable company that makes more profiit because it lives off of taxpayer money to build and fix their stadiums. There are people that benefit Ross and NFl because it increases value of franchise and people that somehow will have the money to go to the games but the benefit to the city of Miami is pretty minimal

Try telling the hospitality industry that the benefit to Miami is minimal. The first group to put their full support behind the stadium renovation deal was the Hotels and their lobby. And they are the ones that will be most directly taxed if the upgrades go through. Miami is already the capital of the Americas...I cannot understand why people are against a 1% tax increase on tourists and minimal (if any) tax dollars from Dade county to make Joe Robbie Stadium an elite destination for a plethora of events. I'm going to stop debating this bc its extremely frustrating. To me, it's economics 101. Nobody loses. But i guess the Occupy Wall Street crowd on here doesn't want to understand.

I wouldn't sink a dime into that hole and unfortunately I may be forced to. That huge sum of money will be sucked up into a blackhole of an aging, soccer centric stadium in a miserable neighborhood. I don't believe the money will be spent towards anything that interests me. New luxury boxes? Higher def images of fergie saying fins up? Whats the gain to the taxpayer? Will higher quality bathrooms guarantee the super bowl in Miami Gardens? Just an astounding waste of money which will be manipulated into action by easily corruptible politicians.

Try telling the hospitality industry that the benefit to Miami is minimal. The first group to put their full support behind the stadium renovation deal was the Hotels and their lobby. And they are the ones that will be most directly taxed if the upgrades go through. Miami is already the capital of the Americas...I cannot understand why people are against a 1% tax increase on tourists and minimal (if any) tax dollars from Dade county to make Joe Robbie Stadium an elite destination for a plethora of events. I'm going to stop debating this bc its extremely frustrating. To me, it's economics 101. Nobody loses. But i guess the Occupy Wall Street crowd on here doesn't want to understand.

I have read many reports on economic impact of nfl teams and stadiums and believe me the impact is quite minimal . People tend to forget that much of the money spent on nfl events is actually a replacement for dollars they would have spent doing other things in the community but of course people want to act like Miami was built by an NFL team.

Amazing how Miami had a superbowl in 2010 but spending by tourists was 10 percent more the following year setting a record for tourists. You would think that with the overinflated number the nfl pumps out that would almost be impossible.

Back
Top Bottom