Barry Jackson on Landry's contract. | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson on Landry's contract.

Toxic. Blackballed. Blacklisted. Call it whatever you want, but teams have apparently shunned signing the guy for the protest. Obviously owners and coaches deny It. Goodell has denied. Some fans justify it as he's not very good and doesn't deserve a place on an active roster (but are there 64 better QBs than him? And that's discounting those that carry three QBs!). The guy even has a collision lawsuit pending.

Now I've never heard anything about him being a bad teammate, but that's not relevant if owners/gms won't sign the guy.

So where is the toxicity? Call me crazy, but I want my football team making football decisions. Everyone but Gase knew Cutler was done with football. Even Cutler knew, which is why he took another job. The Fins should stick to making decisions based on football skills and not politics. God knows they can barely do that.

For sure that has some truth, but there is also the fact that 35-40% of receptions are designed screen passes to him on the line of scrimmage.

The obvious answer to the Jarvis debate that this board is ignoring is the transition tag. It allows us to and Jarvis to find out his true value with no risk of losing him unless we want to. I can’t imagine a team giveing more than 12 million to possession guy, but if they do then we move on.
If they don't come to terms, he absolutely is going to get hit with the transition tag.

So where is the toxicity? Call me crazy, but I want my football team making football decisions. Everyone but Gase knew Cutler was done with football. Even Cutler knew, which is why he took another job. The Fins should stick to making decisions based on football skills and not politics. God knows they can barely do that.

See the quotes below, they explain people not supporting his cause or boycotting because of his protests. Sure it's political and also a business decision not to sign Kaepernick for the below reasons, but sadly that's why the guy is toxic, blacklisted (etc) because teams don't want to take on that drama or risk that some of their fan base or public servants will boycott the team because they signed Kaepernick.

Now don't get me wrong, I agree that a team shouldn't be pushed to not sign a player because of what he's standing for. I don't see why people get as worked up as they do because players knelt, but that's just me. I don't see the harm in what they have done or continue to do, unfortunately a fair number of people see things differently and they seem to have influenced teams to not sign Kaepernick.

Its about the money. While in the papers you read about a lot of push supporting the guy from the left on the right side of the equation there is a ton of money saying they are not supporting the cause he is pushing. Not debating the right or wrong here just "probably" the facts. I was surprised to hear somewhere some of the police in Miami were not attending the games over this so there ya go.

It's also not relevant to his football abilities. I don't think he would've been a good fit for our offense, maybe Gase could have done something with it...but I do know I am glad we didn't inherit the headache bullshit news stream of angry fans that protest the NFL because of Kaep's stance.

And don't try to tell me it doesn't happen...I know multiple people and families who have stopped watching the NFL over Kaep's protests. Him coming to the Dolphins would have been a major landslide of news coverage I for one wouldn't have welcomed.

I am a firm believer in not bargaining from a position of weakness. Every time I hear we have to sign Landry it makes me want to puke. Our O sucked last year and Landry was part of that crappy O. If Landry needs a contract the size of Adams, don’t let the door hit you in the ass. Just cause Adams got over paid does not mean we have to overpay Landry. What our front office does not understand is that their main job is to manage resources. Every time they piss resources away by mostly over paying players it makes it harder for team in the future. The piss poor contract of years pass are already making harder on the team today.

I saw today that Landry's agent has basically continued firing back at the team, this time claiming that the Dolphins QB situation sucks and that's why Landry didn't put up better numbers than Adams or Jones.

Good player, but this is just more fuel for the fires of divorce.

I saw today that Landry's agent has basically continued firing back at the team, this time claiming that the Dolphins QB situation sucks and that's why Landry didn't put up better numbers than Adams or Jones.

Good player, but this is just more fuel for the fires of divorce.
True and he should not have said that but it is a fact of the situation and just because we are Dolphin fans should not be overlooked.

I didn't like the fact that the Dolphins were badmouthing Landry to their surrogate press mouthpiece.

I like even less the fact that Landry's agent has responded by dragging his teammates into this and slagging on them.

If his agent thinks our QB is not good enough for Landry then why don't he go to another team where he likes the QB better?

Ozzy rules!!

I didn't like the fact that the Dolphins were badmouthing Landry to their surrogate press mouthpiece.

I like even less the fact that Landry's agent has responded by dragging his teammates into this and slagging on them.
The ONLY reason they can even entertain the idea of that big of a contract in the first place is the fact that the team went out of its way to run it's offense through Landry, if Landry is targeted a 100 times per season, he's not even sniffing 10M per...

Interested to see Landry walk and explore what our offense would look like with a different slot receiver who isn't receiving $14m of our cap annually. But Miami must look aggressively at tight ends and receivers in the draft and free agency if the team goes this route.

Yep, Landry is at the mercy of the QB, and he would have had better numbers with Tannehill, but for the amount he is seeking, the only teams who will pay that coin have far worse QB situations.

Landry stays great. Landry leaves the train moves on. Teams can find a way to be successful without Landry, so can the Dolphins.

No team finds a way to be successful while letting all of their drafted players go away in free agency.

It's interesting that the Dolphins have indeed made bad contract decisions with respect to overpaying certain players and not retaining drafted players. I think probably the one case where the Dolphins, in hindsight, absolutely should have overpaid a guy was Olivier Vernon. Interestingly enough, Vernon was a player who was productive -- but not a superstar -- who also had personal foul issues.

I don't know how that parallels with Landry, but that could factor in, too.

Back
Top Bottom