Barry Jackson: Some FA Notes | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Barry Jackson: Some FA Notes

Martin was god awful and now we realize two thngs IMO.

1. Ireland cant draft for a wco. How do draft a tackle this bad in tje 2nd rnd?

2. We have one good olineman going into next season. Martin sucks, long wants a ton of $ and doesn't fit the offense, incog and Jerry definitely don't fit the mold of a guard.

Oline woes continue.

Why does everything have to be so damn dramatic? I'm so sick of the blame Ireland for everything bull ****! How can we go from Jonathan Martin being a steal in this past draft to Ireland sucking so bad and blowing an obvious pick? Step away from the cliff because your whining is annoying as hell!

Well, just remember that Long didn't allow that many sacks or hurries in his rookie year. I'm willing to give Martin time as I have no choice anyway but he played LT in college. That's his natural position so I'd expect him to make great progress in 2013 if he stays at LT.

Ozzy rules!!

I think that is a fine expectation to have him improve from this season to next. I'm pretty sure Jonathan Martin understands and has the same expectation for himself. It drives me nuts that people are already saying we swung and missed and that its all Ireland's fault.

Come on dude the sky isn't falling! You're comparing a rookies numbers being thrown in the fire and bounced from one side of the line to the other to a number 1 overall picked LT in jake long. Give the kid some time to develop for ****s sake!

What's dramatic about being worried we have 1 olineman that fits the zbs, amd pointing out the one Ireland drafted in the 2nd rnd is rated among the worst in the NFL.

This isn't dramatic, it's the truth. Martin was abysmal this year. He didn't look like he even belonged in the NFL. Got completely bullied.

Who said he had to "double his strength". He can make a ton of gains in one offseason. It is not just physical training, but improving his technique on the field. I think Martin can be solid next year.

Of course he can make gains, but he isnt going to get to the strength level he needs to be at in one offseason. Many of these NFL players have been doing it for 10 years. The guy was consistently overpowered, and while you might be able compensate for lack of strenght with perfect technique, he still has a long way to go. 47 hurries is abosultely unacceptable.

---------- Post added at 11:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

You really think he needs to DOUBLE his strength?

Yes I do

Are you guys watching the same Dolphins I am watching every single week? Long was getting beat often. I hope it was due to injury and not ineffectiveness. Martin IMO performed admirably and most likely will start on the left side next season.
Its amazing, how I am certain we are all watching the same team, but have differing opinions on what is actually happening on the field.

I hope to see Jake back. But he will need to play much better than he did this season. Otherwise let Martin have the job. It is his position of choice and experience after all.

Ps..............Tannehills wife is to skinny and Macarrons girl friend is a barbie doll. Real women are where its at.

The kind of strength Martin needs cant be aquired in just one offseason in the weight room. You arent going to double your strength in 6 months.

As far as Jake Long goes, this is the first time I have heard that he was offered a contract mid-season. Too bad Barry Jackson doesnt say what his source is.
Also, he turned it down. So much for him and Hartline taking team friendly deals.

wow. THE DOUBLE DOOM!!

first we find out IRELAND is being retained [instantly killing next season] and now they want to actually keep SEAN SMITH?

you CANT WIN with either of those two in the mix [yes, smith is that bad!].

and now our owner is blaming the last regime for everything under the sun. almost sounds like i am watching politics and not football!!

I'm not gonna sit here and let someone use "statistical analysis" instead of true evaluating from your own two eyes. Martin WILL perform better than Jake at Left Tackle in the years coming.. Simple as that.. And besides when he stood straight up and got bull rushed into Tannehill by Aldon Smith.. but that is Aldon Smith... that is a leverage pad level thing not as much strength.. I think Martin needs to work on his footwork and pad level more than strength.. Thinking back to the INDY game I think Jake got beat every play by dwight freeney... and got thrown to the ground by Merriman and then Merriman made a TFL on Thursday Night Football.. Martin spent only 3 weeks working on the left side and I think he works at it and has a great season next year... he is a ROOKIE after all

Last edited by a moderator:
What were Longs rookie sack/hurry numbers? I mean, Martin wasn't drafted to be the LT. An offseason in the weight room and working with staff will improve his performance.

Jake gave up 2 sacks, 9 hits and 15 hurries. You also have to give credit to Chad Pennington as a seasoned veteran having a career year versus a Rookie.

I'm not gonna sit here and let someone use "statistical analysis" instead of true evaluating from your own two eyes. Martin performed better than Jake did at Left Tackle. Simple as that.
PFF isn't really "'statistical analysis,'" i don't think. IIRC they grade players' performance on each snap all season and simply rank players based on the accumulation of positive and negative grades for each snap over the whole season. in other words, they evaluate with their eyeballs. i often disagree with them too, but from what i know it ain't like they're using football sabermetrics or something.

as for martin's performance vs long's, anyone who thinks martin was better than long at LT is crazy IMO. martin was OK vs SF, fine against jax and buf, and hideously godawful against NE (at least as bad as long was against indy). martin doesn't run block as well as even a diminished long and probably never will. he has the tools to handle speed rushers better than long can at this point in long's career, but those tools aren't as developed as they need to be yet. long was unbelievably bad against freeney but the rest of the season he was more of an average performer IMO (honestly probably a hair above average). problem with that is that mere average-ish performance makes him massively overpaid.

martin is a better choice than long cuz he's a better value for his performance level and a better fit for the system. but martin is not generally a better tackle than jake long, not yet anyway.

PFF isn't really "'statistical analysis,'" i don't think. IIRC they grade players' performance on each snap all season and simply rank players based on the accumulation of positive and negative grades for each snap over the whole season. in other words, they evaluate with their eyeballs. i often disagree with them too, but from what i know it ain't like they're using football sabermetrics or something.

as for martin's performance vs long's, anyone who thinks martin was better than long at LT is crazy IMO. martin was OK vs SF, fine against jax and buf, and hideously godawful against NE (at least as bad as long was against indy). martin doesn't run block as well as even a diminished long and probably never will. he has the tools to handle speed rushers better than long can at this point in long's career, but those tools aren't as developed as they need to be yet. long was unbelievably bad against freeney but the rest of the season he was more of an average performer IMO (honestly probably a hair above average). problem with that is that mere average-ish performance makes him massively overpaid.

martin is a better choice than long cuz he's a better value for his performance level and a better fit for the system. but martin is not generally a better tackle than jake long, not yet anyway.

just ReRead my post and had a typo... I first put performed better than Long at Left tackle... which I rightfully changed to "will perform better in future years" There isn't an offensive lineman I would pay over 10 million dollars besides Clady from Denver who at one point in the season gave up ZERO sacks and they have to pay him to protect Mannings neck

Are you guys watching the same Dolphins I am watching every single week? Long was getting beat often. I hope it was due to injury and not ineffectiveness. Martin IMO performed admirably and most likely will start on the left side next season.
Its amazing, how I am certain we are all watching the same team, but have differing opinions on what is actually happening on the field.

I hope to see Jake back. But he will need to play much better than he did this season. Otherwise let Martin have the job. It is his position of choice and experience after all.

Ps..............Tannehills wife is to skinny and Macarrons girl friend is a barbie doll. Real women are where its at.

I agree....but I wouldn't turn either down.

CK was talking sort of this same thing on a different site with regards to Smith. Long is going to get paid, that is the market. Teams with ****ty LT have hurt qbs or shotty play. Bring Jake back at money less then Joe Thomas even if we do the two year deal thing like we did Solai, let him prove his next contract. IF you look at what starting LT gets paid its not peanuts. The same can be said about Smith, he wants McCourty money. about 7.2 mil. As CK said,this is what the market cost and actually is cheap compared to many corners above Smith. Corners and tackles get paid. Everyone needs to realize that. If we are to replace Long with Vollmer do people think he's coming in at 5 mil/yr? If you do you don't understand market economics even a little. As for Martin, lets let him gain strength and man the RT spot. Last time I checked its nice having two good tackles, ask any QB in Arizona if they wouldn't mind having our tackles compared to theirs. Sign Long, get Martin stronger and find a better swing tackle in case of injury. Oh and find a damn LG that can pull and move Richie to RG or cut him. Keep Jerry as our swing tackle. All of that helps our line in my mind.

Back
Top Bottom