Beaking News: UM chooses Shannon as head football coach | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beaking News: UM chooses Shannon as head football coach

nick1 said:
he wasn't that good at recruiting, why do you think guys were leaving Miami for FSU or Florida? trust me Coker was horrible at it, his coaching was the bigger problem though. just look at the numbers, Miami has dropped way down in the recuiting department. we are outside of the top 10 recuiters for the first time in a while

Because the program was already overflowing with talent, and florida was making it's way back up towards contention.

I would only be concerned if my team were regularly below the top 25. Just like the NFL draft, not everyone pans out, nor is it fair to expect them all to.

Alex44 said:
They hired him because he was the best choice.

You hire a consultant to see what your outside choices are. It would be ignorant not to.
you dont hire a consultant and then end up just walking down the hall and telling your def. Cord that he got the job...also it is known that miami is very strapped financially....i'm not sold on him being the best choice...

Stitches said:
Because the program was already overflowing with talent, and florida was making it's way back up towards contention.

I would only be concerned if my team were regularly below the top 25. Just like the NFL draft, not everyone pans out, nor is it fair to expect them all to.
I understand what your saying but more is expected when your the coach of Miami, he didn't do good enough. Butch Davis was a much better recruiter

nick1 said:
he wasn't that good at recruiting, why do you think guys were leaving Miami for FSU or Florida? trust me Coker was horrible at it, his coaching was the bigger problem though. just look at the numbers, Miami has dropped way down in the recuiting department. we are outside of the top 10 recuiters for the first time in a while
Butch Davis disagrees with you.

some of the top recuits that came here with Coker at head coach just came here because they have always dreamed of playing for Miami, they came because they wanted to play for the U not for Coker

nick1 said:
some of the top recuits that came here with Coker at head coach just came here because they have always dreamed of playing for Miami, they came because they wanted to play for the U not for Coker

That's good. Most of your devotion should be to the school, not the coach. Coaches change, institutions don't usually.

cnc66 said:
butch is being generous to a friend
That may be, I don't know. Davis did say this as he was leaving, and there is reason to believe the talent level hasn't been sustained since. I don't think he can't recruit though.

Stitches said:
That's good. Most of your devotion should be to the school, not the coach. Coaches change, institutions don't usually.
well Florida is getting so much better at recruting lately because of coach Meyer, yes they do have players who just wanted to play for the school but Meyer is getting better recruits because of him. same with Bobby Bowden, FSU is so worried that after Bowden stops coaching they will lose many recruits. so yes the University drags in players by itself but a coach can also sway just as many recruits. why do you think the #1 QB in the nation went to Notre Dame?

nick1 said:
well Florida is getting so much better at recruting lately because of coach Meyer, yes they do have players who just wanted to play for the school but Meyer is getting better recruits because of him. same with Bobby Bowden, FSU is so worried that after Bowden stops coaching they will lose many recruits. so yes the University drags in players by itself but a coach can also sway just as many recruits. why do you think the #1 QB in the nation went to Notre Dame?

I'm hoping the education, and opportunity.

And if you are going to say it's because of Weiss' link to the NFL, then Miami should do everything they can to get someone like Norm Chow, or some other NFL coordinator.

nick1 said:

To try and salvage the Clausen name? :confused::lol:

im so happy cokers gone and shannons been hired. its funny coker fired all of his assistants except the one that was most likely to and did take his job

nick1 said:
Actually, the Zooker had some highly acclaimed recruiting classes. He just couldn't coach.

Back
Top Bottom