Beaking News: UM chooses Shannon as head football coach | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beaking News: UM chooses Shannon as head football coach

finswin56 said:
Actually, the Zooker had some highly acclaimed recruiting classes. He just couldn't coach.

He's doing a pretty good job pulling in recruits at Illinois, especially considering it's Illinois.

Stitches said:
He's doing a pretty good job pulling in recruits at Illinois, especially considering it's Illinois.

Zook is trash, he uses dirty tricks in recruiting I'm convinced.

DonShula84 said:
Zook is trash, he uses dirty tricks in recruiting I'm convinced.
:lol:

I like Zook, as long as he's not coaching my team... kind of like Wanny.

Stitches said:
I would say, especially since he's a poor HC :dunno:

After watching Shannons press confrence, he looks like the real deal. Good job miami! He wants to win, and he wants to win not in a few years, he wants to win now! and thats what College teams want, they want that attitude instilled not only in there coaches but in there players

We'll have to wait and see what kind of head coach he can be.

But I have few doubts about Shannon's ability to recruit and motivate. He's going to clean up in South Florida. And his team's will play fired up ball.

He certainly did hit the presser out of the park, no question. I wonder where all the talk of him not having a great personality came from, cause it was obviously BS.

Caps said:
He certainly did hit the presser out of the park, no question. I wonder where all the talk of him not having a great personality came from, cause it was obviously BS.

:yes:

I loved the hire before the press conference, but he really made me like it even more.

Man the guy just presents himself as the perfect type of coach we need here at UM.

He IMO was easily the best choice for this program. Maybe . . and I mean maybe he wouldn't get some of the out of state recruits that a successful head coach like Schiano or Butch Davis would have gotten . . . but NOBODY . . and I mean NOBODY would have came in and had the success recruiting here in South Florida like Shannon will have.

Now we just need to get a solid OFfensive Coordinator and this team will be back on the right track for sure.

anyone hear of any possible choices for our offensive coordinator.

since shannon is only getting a million a year, the U has money to spend to get a highly regarded new OC for us.

Interesting Article..........
Inward might not be forward

By Richard Cirminiello

clear.gif

Was promoting Randy Shannon from within the way to go for Miami? (Luis M. Alvarez / Associated Press)

I know I'm supposed to hail Miami's hiring of Randy Shannon as some shrewd move or cosmic shift in the future fortunes of the 'Canes program, because that's what everyone's been telling me to think since the coach was promoted from defensive coordinator a couple of days ago.

That's what I'm supposed to think, but that's just not what's going through my mind right now.

Miami, suffering through a historical low point on and off the field, desperately needed to whack a home run with Larry Coker's successor, but instead hit a bloop single after getting snubbed by a who's who of coaches because of a lack of funds, a lack of interest or both.

Rule No. 1 in tabbing a head coach: Hiring from within is only a good idea if the program is currently hitting a high note. If it's hemorrhaging, you've got to get a fresh start with fresh ideas by looking outside the family. Now, that's not to suggest that Shannon was part of the problem. Au contraire. He's well-liked and a gifted recruiter and defensive coordinator, who's earned his shot to be a head coach, but didn't Miami just go down this same familial road with a guy ... what his name? Larry Coker.

At a time when the program had to make a splash with its next head coach, it gingerly dipped its toe into the shallow end of the water. It got cheap and conservative, landing a coordinator with no head coaching experience and, more importantly, a man who's too familiar with the warts and current players in Coral Gables. What Miami needed was an outsider, a strong disciplinarian with zero allegiance to any current member of the program — an every-job-is-up-for-grabs type character.

When it was announced that Shannon was the guy, 'Canes players openly applauded the decision, mugging it up with the new boss and finding it hard to contain their enthusiasm. Call me old-fashioned, but isn't it a potentially ominous sign when players are that excited about the hiring of a new head coach? Shouldn't there be some trepidation about the new sheriff in town?

Only time will tell if Miami traded up with the promotion of Shannon to head coach. For now, I'll remain very skeptical about the direction of this program, despite all the propaganda that's presently being jammed down my throat.

Should be very interesting to see how well he does and how much support he gets next season.

dear the national media and writers,

keep on hatin. we dont give a **** about what you think.

love,
deathstar.

Motion said:
Interesting Article..........

Should be very interesting to see how well he does and how much support he gets next season.

He'll get tons of support, until they get thier 2nd loss.

Kdawg954 said:
Man the guy just presents himself as the perfect type of coach we need here at UM.

He IMO was easily the best choice for this program. Maybe . . and I mean maybe he wouldn't get some of the out of state recruits that a successful head coach like Schiano or Butch Davis would have gotten . . . but NOBODY . . and I mean NOBODY would have came in and had the success recruiting here in South Florida like Shannon will have.

Now we just need to get a solid OFfensive Coordinator and this team will be back on the right track for sure.
You make it sound like that is so easy to do. LOL. I just don't see that happening. They asked Shannon this morning about the teams offensive woes and what he is going to do to try to fix it... His answer was "I have not even thought about it yet..." Something about focusing on the Nevada game and recruiting. Which I think is good, but seriously, NOT EVEN THOUGHT about it? Seriously? That was the programs' BIGGEST problem and you did not even think about it? :shakeno: Yikes.

Back
Top Bottom