Beating the Patriots (notes and observations) | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beating the Patriots (notes and observations)

talib has been playing hurt...that hip is still an issue...not the same player he was before...

Here's an excerpt from an article in the Providence Journal stating just how many problems the Patsies D has had recently. It's a pretty good read. With the problems their D is having and the O beginning to really click I could see the Fins putting at least 30 points on the board.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sp...ill-make-it-tougher-to-live-without-gronk.ece

Thanks for the article. It matches what I've seen. They seem to want to play a lot of single high and cover 3 to try and get eight people in the box. Projecting us to get 30+ points seems a bit optimistic, though. We've done that exactly once all year. Now suddenly we're going to do it twice in a row? We only did it twice all last year, fwiw.

talib has been playing hurt...that hip is still an issue...not the same player he was before...

Nevertheless the Patriots chose to leave him in single coverage on Gordon a lot of the game without safety help. That 80 yard touchdown happened because the safety rotated into the box on the opposite side of the field. That's what created the cavernous running lane.

If the Pats thought he was hobbled why did they do that? It's not like Gordon was some mystery coming into the game. He had just set a record for receiving yards over a three game period.

Nevertheless the Patriots chose to leave him in single coverage on Gordon a lot of the game without safety help. That 80 yard touchdown happened because the safety rotated into the box on the opposite side of the field. That's what created the cavernous running lane.

If the Pats thought he was hobbled why did they do that? It's not like Gordon was some mystery coming into the game. He had just set a record for receiving yards over a three game period.

they've been leaving him alone a lot...i don't know why...but i don't see the same player i did before the hip...

I noticed this as well. Especially when he was trying to chase down Gordon on the long TD. Hopefully if he is locked onto Wallace one on one they put Wallace in motion or use bunch formations to get him a free release off the LOS. You take away Talib's physical advantage at the LOS and Wallace could have a very big day.

Thanks for the article. It matches what I've seen. They seem to want to play a lot of single high and cover 3 to try and get eight people in the box. Projecting us to get 30+ points seems a bit optimistic, though. We've done that exactly once all year. Now suddenly we're going to do it twice in a row? We only did it twice all last year, fwiw.

I think it will have to do more with how poorly the Patsies defense is playing than anything else. They haven't really been able to stop anyone lately. I really think the only way the Fins don't score 30+ is if they have a couple costly turnovers. Tannehill and the offensive line have just been playing to well not to expect this kind of output vs. the porous NE defense.

FWIW I also feel that if the Fins do score 30+ they will definitely win the game. If not I think its 50/50.

If not I think its 50/50.

Speaking of 50 that is the number of victories that Miami is stuck on in the series against the Patriots, They led the series 50-39 until the Patriots reeled off 7 straight wins. The series is now 50-46 and in danger of turning in the Patriots favor for the 1st time since 1967.

The Patriots had a 7 game streak earlier in the series that started with the AFC championship win that prevented the Marino rematch with 85 Bears. The current steak matches their best on the series. Miami stopped that 7 game streak with a 9 game streak that is the best in the series.

Let's hope we can stop their streak, start our own and end their recent dominance in the series.

I watched the majority of this game on my phone in a car between Austin and Dallas, but it looks like my thoughts/previews ended up pretty accurate. The Patriots schemed to take away Hartline and Clay, and we responded by going to Wallace more. Also, we used outside runs out of base formations and inside runs out of passing formations. The final touchdown came against Dont'e Hightower's coverage.

Defensively we schemed to take away Shane Vereen, as I thought we would/should. I look forward to watching the screen on something bigger than a phone screen, but for now it looks like I had pretty much the right idea. Huzzah!

applause-1.gif

Well done, man. Well done.

I watched the majority of this game on my phone in a car between Austin and Dallas, but it looks like my thoughts/previews ended up pretty accurate. The Patriots schemed to take away Hartline and Clay, and we responded by going to Wallace more. Also, we used outside runs out of base formations and inside runs out of passing formations. The final touchdown came against Dont'e Hightower's coverage.

Defensively we schemed to take away Shane Vereen, as I thought we would/should. I look forward to watching the screen on something bigger than a phone screen, but for now it looks like I had pretty much the right idea. Huzzah!
Good to see you survived the Texas trip. Any trees uprooted?

Good to see you survived the Texas trip. Any trees uprooted?

I'm still there, actually. Trying to pretend I'm not awake so my friends won't try to get me to drink right away.

Nothing too crazy has happened yet. I have a nice gash on my head that I don't know how I got. But I just blame that on Obama.

Back
Top Bottom