Beckham | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beckham

I watched an MLS game for the first time ever and plan on watching more. Not sure why but I'm excited by Beckham.

I watched an MLS game for the first time ever and plan on watching more. Not sure why but I'm excited by Beckham.

I think its the commercials! I wanted to whatch the game, But was unable too. At least you can tell us how he is doing

Like who?

Ronaldinho, Kaka, Ronaldo, totti, Messi, Henri are all players who are probably just as if not more famous than Beckham. THey just aren't as famous in the US (though if you are like the guy that made the poll of where in the world do you live in and then went on posting all american regions and one single option being rest of the world... then maybe you believe the US is the whole world).

People who think he won't be good for MLS are clearly not paying attention. For the first time in years MLS has been making money, three stadiums are about to be built (including a new one for the red bulls) that are exclusively devoted to the sports. The Mexico-US game drew a bigger rating than the Stanley Cup finals (and we are not talking about barely bigger we are talking about double the ratings). This game with or without Beckham will draw numbers to ESPN and to the Stadium.

The Franchise Player rule has allowed MLS teams to bring in great players without necessarily loosing a lot of money, and that has been great. Watch Chicago Fire get crazy with Cuahutemoc playing there, watch the Red Bulls and star player Juan Pablo Angel, bring in more and more crowds especially when they debut their newer stadium

THe league has been able to get a contract with the Mexican league to have an annual tournament between their best teams. It has already paid for Beckham's contract through ticket sales and merchandize and TV rights for the games.

The Mets (yeah the baseball time) have purchased the rights to a second NY team which will begin operating in the next 4 or 5 years. At which time the league is going to grow to become 10 teams deeper.... You naysayers can complain all you want but The most beautiful game will take over the US. Slowly but surely, but at one point we will all get together in a stadium and chant and jump... no sport elicits the passion and love that soccer elicits.

(Tomorrow Im watching Red Bulls vs DC United... gonna be fun, those two firms hate each other)

Eh I don't give a damn about Beckham or his ho-bag wife. Let the sheep flock to ESPN and LA to see him. I wont lose any sleep over any of it
I dont get this mindset. if you dont care about Beckham or soccer why would you post in this thread? I dont like hockey, so I avoid going into the hockey threads and posting about how I dont like it...

Well, whether Beckham can make soccer popular here or not is a big question mark. I mean many have tried in the past and it just hasn't worked. Pele, holding the World Cup here, our women winning the WC, launch of MLS, etc..

Nothing's really worked, so who knows. One thing is clear: Americans turn out in masses to see soccer if it's top quality, as evidenced by the tours of Europe's top clubs filling stadiums (and I'm talking big ones like Giants Stadium, not SSS like Home Depot Center).

So, the thing about Beckham is this. As long as he ends up making financial sense for the LA Galaxy, then other owners will follow. The Galaxy were the first MLS team to make a profit, and now 4 others are either doing so or on the verge (we'll see at the end of the year).

So, does Beckham make sense from a financial perspective? Well, despite the highly touted $250 million dollars he is supposed to be paid over 5 years, most of that is NOT paid by the Galaxy. The Galaxy only pay something like $5.5 million in salary to him each year.

And even before Beckham touched that ball today on the pitch, the Galaxy got $13.3 million in revenue through his signing, which is over 2 years salary! And note what the CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group says:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aUAxd1irwwng&refer=europe

``We've already made our money back,'' said Tim Leiweke, 49, chief executive officer of Anschutz Entertainment Group, the Los Angeles-based company that owns the Galaxy. ``We were never worried about our financial commitment.''
------------------

So, if this is the case, well expect more signings by next year.

Oh, and did anyone catch the announcers saying Shevchenko might want to play in the US next year? Now, he IS a great player. Beckham might not be a great footballer (though he is good enough to play for England), but he might be the beginning of MLS being taken more seriously.

Of course, we'll see. As I said, all who tried previously have failed.

Why is he the most popular? Does he hold all the records or something?

His good looks and who he married. His ability to cross the ball is top rate, but much of the rest of his game isn't.

By the way, in soccer after games, they usually exchange jerseys.. Well, once one opposing player remarked that when he traded jerseys with Beckham, Beckham's smelled of perfume :sidelol:

I dont get this mindset. if you dont care about Beckham or soccer why would you post in this thread? I dont like hockey, so I avoid going into the hockey threads and posting about how I dont like it...

Ah the old if you didn't like the movie why post here arguement.

Well sir, this is a discussion board. I chose to enter the thread and partake in the discussion about Beckham.

Is there something wrong with me not understanding the hype for this guy? Or is this thread supposed to only be full of folks who are excited as hell that he's in LA now?

Help me out will ya

His good looks and who he married. His ability to cross the ball is top rate, but much of the rest of his game isn't.

By the way, in soccer after games, they usually exchange jerseys.. Well, once one opposing player remarked that when he traded jerseys with Beckham, Beckham's smelled of perfume :sidelol:

So there aren't any other soccer players in the world who look alright and have a hot wife?

Back
Top Bottom