Beckham | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Beckham

Well, whether Beckham can make soccer popular here or not is a big question mark. I mean many have tried in the past and it just hasn't worked. Pele, holding the World Cup here, our women winning the WC, launch of MLS, etc..

Nothing's really worked, so who knows. One thing is clear: Americans turn out in masses to see soccer if it's top quality, as evidenced by the tours of Europe's top clubs filling stadiums (and I'm talking big ones like Giants Stadium, not SSS like Home Depot Center).

So, the thing about Beckham is this. As long as he ends up making financial sense for the LA Galaxy, then other owners will follow. The Galaxy were the first MLS team to make a profit, and now 4 others are either doing so or on the verge (we'll see at the end of the year).

So, does Beckham make sense from a financial perspective? Well, despite the highly touted $250 million dollars he is supposed to be paid over 5 years, most of that is NOT paid by the Galaxy. The Galaxy only pay something like $5.5 million in salary to him each year.

And even before Beckham touched that ball today on the pitch, the Galaxy got $13.3 million in revenue through his signing, which is over 2 years salary! And note what the CEO of Anschutz Entertainment Group says:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601085&sid=aUAxd1irwwng&refer=europe

``We've already made our money back,'' said Tim Leiweke, 49, chief executive officer of Anschutz Entertainment Group, the Los Angeles-based company that owns the Galaxy. ``We were never worried about our financial commitment.''
------------------

So, if this is the case, well expect more signings by next year.

Oh, and did anyone catch the announcers saying Shevchenko might want to play in the US next year? Now, he IS a great player. Beckham might not be a great footballer (though he is good enough to play for England), but he might be the beginning of MLS being taken more seriously.

Of course, we'll see. As I said, all who tried previously have failed.
I think a big key to how successful it ends up being depends onhow the media decides to cover it...ESPN seems to be showcasing it much better than the sport has been covered in the past. And a lot of America is moving away from the mindset that it is a "wimpy" sport..

So there aren't any other soccer players in the world who look alright and have a hot wife?

She was one of the Spice Girls. I don't think any other soccer player has a wife like that.

I think a big key to how successful it ends up being depends onhow the media decides to cover it...ESPN seems to be showcasing it much better than the sport has been covered in the past. And a lot of America is moving away from the mindset that it is a "wimpy" sport..

Let's be clear about one thing. ESPN's old guard simply HATES soccer. They almost never cover it, even if it's in ESPN's financial interest to do so. Well, specifically I mean stuff like Sportscenter, etc.. They operate essentially independently of other parts of ESPN in determining what to show, so all you see are the traditional sports (mostly).

That's definitely one barrier I don't expect to see crossed.

Soccer will have to grow despite ESPN is I think more accurate.

Ah the old if you didn't like the movie why post here arguement.
There is a big difference in postign about a movie you dont like, and a movie you havent seen or dont intend to see, and insulting it...
Well sir, this is a discussion board. I chose to enter the thread and partake in the discussion about Beckham.

Is there something wrong with me not understanding the hype for this guy? Or is this thread supposed to only be full of folks who are excited as hell that he's in LA now?

Help me out will ya
Are you forgetting what you said in the thread I quoted?
Eh I don't give a damn about Beckham or his ho-bag wife. Let the sheep flock to ESPN and LA to see him. I wont lose any sleep over any of it
That doesnt smell of someone who is "curious" or just loking to partake in a discussion. It comes off as insulting and seems like you just want to elicit a reaction...

Whatever though, to each his own.

Let's be clear about one thing. ESPN's old guard simply HATES soccer. They almost never cover it, even if it's in ESPN's financial interest to do so. Well, specifically I mean stuff like Sportscenter, etc.. They operate essentially independently of other parts of ESPN in determining what to show, so all you see are the traditional sports (mostly).

That's definitely one barrier I don't expect to see crossed.

Soccer will have to grow despite ESPN is I think more accurate.
I disagree in that I think that is changing. ESPN covered the World Cup better than they have ever covered soccer in the past.

I disagree in that I think that is changing. ESPN covered the World Cup better than they have ever covered soccer in the past.

They always covered the World Cup well. They even showed all games in 2002 and 1998, etc..

But, where's the coverage of MLS? There are almost NEVER any highlights of soccer on Sportscenter for example.

They always covered the World Cup well. They even showed all games in 2002 and 1998, etc..

But, where's the coverage of MLS? There are almost NEVER any highlights of soccer on Sportscenter for example.
Im not saying it is perfect, or it cant improve more. All I am saying is that I see a difference. They are covering soccer better on ESPN then they have in the past. I mean they actually broke into programming to show the Beckham press conference...

I don't know half the ppl that are being named as more popular than Beckham. Beckham is world popular and ppl know him all of the US.

Im not saying it is perfect, or it cant improve more. All I am saying is that I see a difference. They are covering soccer better on ESPN then they have in the past. I mean they actually broke into programming to show the Beckham press conference...

OK, well I haven't seen it. Of course, the Beckham thing is a special case.

I guess we'll see in the next few months. Let's see if MLS gets time on Sportscenter once the Beckham thing wears a bit off, say in a month.

If things change, I'll be real happy, but I'm pessimistic because the people deciding on the programming just don't seem to like soccer. Well, we can hope for the best.

I don't know half the ppl that are being named as more popular than Beckham. Beckham is world popular and ppl know him all of the US.

For people who know a little soccer, there are probably 30 other names at least as big. For example Shevchenko as I mentioned (really if he comes to the US next year, that brings true soccer credibility). Of course, for people who follow soccer, there are many more.

But to people who don't know much about soccer, well Beckham probably is the most famous.

So there aren't any other soccer players in the world who look alright and have a hot wife?

lots... have you ever seen Ronaldo's girl:

clear.gif

Then again Ronaldo himself is not that cute.... BUt there are a lot of supposedly very good looking players especially on the italian team according to all my girl friends.

People who hate soccer know of Beckham, that makes him bigger than many of the people named.

Eh I don't give a damn about Beckham or his ho-bag wife. Let the sheep flock to ESPN and LA to see him. I wont lose any sleep over any of it

Bet you just as many people watched this soccer game as Game 4 of the NBA finals this year :sidelol:

Back
Top Bottom