Best Dolphin Teams that Didn't Reach the Super Bowl | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Best Dolphin Teams that Didn't Reach the Super Bowl

I certainly do. The NFL is often about matchups. And Miami was a bad matchup for Chicago's defense as great as they were. Marino was the perfect antidote for that blitz happy 46 defense and we saw just that in the 1st game. Marino's quick release, ability to recognize pressure and accuracy wasn't something others could duplicate. Also, they exploited matchup issues such as Nat Moore on a linebacker or safety. While Chicago certainly would have made adjustments, their defensive philosophy was still the same and played right into Marino and the Dolphins offense's strengths.

Sure Miami matched up well against the Bear's defense, but It is one thing to beat that Bear's team without McMahon in the Orange Bowl, but it is another thing beating a healthy Bear's team in a neutral site.

Here's my short-list. Can't wait for training camp.

1. 1974 11-3
Lost to Oakland in the infamous Sea of Hands game. Miami would have played Pittsburgh at home in the Orange Bowl for the AFC title.

2. 1985 12-4
Miami was the best team in the AFC IMO. Lost to NE in AFC Championship in a stinker of a game.

3. 1983 12-4
This team gets forgotten a little bit. Lost to Seahawks in a close divisional playoff. Had the talent to get to the super bowl.

4. 1990 12-4
Won wildcard, but lost to Bills in next round.

5. 1992 11-5
Shutout the Chargers to open the playoffs, but couldn't get past Buffalo.

6. 1994 10-6
Miami won in the wildcard round, but couldn't hold onto a big lead against San Diego in the divisional round. I remember thinking this was Marino's last chance. Sad way to end the season in a game that should have been won.

1974 would have been our 4th straight super bowl appearance.

1985 would have been a rematch of the Bears game in which we destroyed the undefeated Bears in Miami and kept them from going undefeated. The Orange Bowl was literally rocking during that game. Pretty sure you could hear the crowd in Hialeah...lol.

Bills kicked the Dolphins butt all through the early 90's. I really think we could have beat the Cowboys in 1992. I think 1993 was the Leon Lett game in which we beat them with Chris DeBurg or Scott Mitchell at QB in Dallas.

I think 1993 was the Leon Lett game in which we beat them with Chris DeBurg or Scott Mitchell at QB in Dallas.

Who's Chris DeBurg? The singer, lol. Steve DeBerg was our QB in that Thanksgiving game. What a second half of the season collapse that team had, huh? Biggest season choke job ever!

Sure Miami matched up well against the Bear's defense, but It is one thing to beat that Bear's team without McMahon in the Orange Bowl, but it is another thing beating a healthy Bear's team in a neutral site.

I agree. Miami might have been able to beat Chicago in a re-match, but I don't feel overly confident that they would have. Having a healthy McMahon would have been big for them.

Also, the Bears would have brought all their energy in that game and Miami would have had to match it. At the Orange Bowl, in the regular season game, Chicago couldn't even come close to matching the Dolphins energy.

Would have loved to see the game as Miami most certainly would have given Chicago more than New England could. That game was a classic mismatch.

Who's Chris DeBurg? The singer, lol. Steve DeBerg was our QB in that Thanksgiving game. What a second half of the season collapse that team had, huh? Biggest season choke job ever!
"Don't pay the ferryman - until he gets you to the other side..,"!!!

1974 would have been our 4th straight super bowl appearance.

1985 would have been a rematch of the Bears game in which we destroyed the undefeated Bears in Miami and kept them from going undefeated. The Orange Bowl was literally rocking during that game. Pretty sure you could hear the crowd in Hialeah...lol.

Bills kicked the Dolphins butt all through the early 90's. I really think we could have beat the Cowboys in 1992. I think 1993 was the Leon Lett game in which we beat them with Chris DeBurg or Scott Mitchell at QB in Dallas.
No one was beating Dallas in '92. They are close to unbeatable as you can get. '93 they were beatable and Buffalo had them reeling unitl Thurman Thomas uncharacteristically fumbled for a 6 points the other way and then the wheels came off. Yeah w Marino we beat them in the '93 SB.

I agree. Miami might have been able to beat Chicago in a re-match, but I don't feel overly confident that they would have. Having a healthy McMahon would have been big for them.

Also, the Bears would have brought all their energy in that game and Miami would have had to match it. At the Orange Bowl, in the regular season game, Chicago couldn't even come close to matching the Dolphins energy.

Would have loved to see the game as Miami most certainly would have given Chicago more than New England could. That game was a classic mismatch.
am I the only one who thinks Jim MacMahon sucked donkey dick? He wasn't good and their WRs stunk too. No pass game. Was all D and Walter Payton. Willie Gault? Please.

lol...Steve Deberg. We did tank after starting 9-2 I think. But we used 4 QBs that year...Marino (who tore his Achilles that year), Steve DeBerg, Scott Mitchell and I think Bernie Kosar played for us that year too.

am I the only one who thinks Jim MacMahon sucked donkey ****? He wasn't good and their WRs stunk too. No pass game. Was all D and Walter Payton. Willie Gault? Please.

He wasn't your typical QB but he was fearless and the city and players loved him. McMahon and Chicago were an ideal match. He would've had a nice career if not for all the injuries from him playing absolutely balls out on every play.

lol...Steve Deberg. We did tank after starting 9-2 I think. But we used 4 QBs that year...Marino (who tore his Achilles that year), Steve DeBerg, Scott Mitchell and I think Bernie Kosar played for us that year too.

Kosar was with Dallas in `93. Mitchell went down against Philly and Doug Pederson finished that game.. Shula broke the all time wins record that game.

am I the only one who thinks Jim MacMahon sucked donkey ****? He wasn't good and their WRs stunk too. No pass game. Was all D and Walter Payton. Willie Gault? Please.

Over the course of his career, I agree with you. He was an up and down player, who always seemed to be injured. But, in 1985 McMahon had a really good year for the Bears. He was a big part of their success that season.

That's not to say Miami couldn't have won in a rematch, but they would have had to play a lot better (obviously) than they did against a not very good New England team in the AFC Championship. I think that was Miami's first loss in an AFC Championship game.

Over the course of his career, I agree with you. He was an up and down player, who always seemed to be injured. But, in 1985 McMahon had a really good year for the Bears. He was a big part of their success that season.

That's not to say Miami couldn't have won in a rematch, but they would have had to play a lot better (obviously) than they did against a not very good New England team in the AFC Championship. I think that was Miami's first loss in an AFC Championship game.
That title game was painful. Done in by the rain and mud as our slow LBs couldn't meet Tony Collins or Craig James as they repeatedly gashed us on the edges.

That title game was painful. Done in by the rain and mud as our slow LBs couldn't meet Tony Collins or Craig James as they repeatedly gashed us on the edges.

What's interesting is that Miami had a huge window from 1982-86. You could make a good argument that the team could have been in three or four super bowls during that time frame.

Marino's first year could have resulted in a super bowl re-match with Washington. That would have been three trips in a row with SF following in 1984. The next year, Miami reached the AFC Championship game as the favorite.

Some really good Dolphin teams in the early 80's.

That window shut quickly in '86! We go from 12-4 to 8-8 with a defense that couldn't stop a high school team. Dropped from 12th in defense to 26th.
Indeed. Age caught up w the D and poor drafting on D did the rest. But SF Dolphin Fan is right. The '83 and '85 teams could have been in the big one. I think the '83 team wins that rematch w Washington. Didn't we blow them out week 1 of '84? Even our '81 team at 11-4-1 was very good. Good run from '81-'85

Back
Top Bottom